England v Colombia

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Re: England v Colombia

Post by Foulthrow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:19 pm

It will be interesting to see the approach of both teams in this game - I have feeling Colombia will sit back and try to hit us on the counter.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Tall Paul wrote:I'd want whichever team is weaker.

There's no such thing as a bogey side.

Ok then. I'd want the best possible advantage over our opponents. And it is in my belief that psychologically playing sweden wouldn't give us that.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Sports correspondent for the Times, Henry winter, has spent the morning in the England camp.

Just said on Talksport, he expects Tuesday's starting 11 to be the same as the one that started against Tunisia.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:56 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Sports correspondent for the Times, Henry winter, has spent the morning in the England camp.

Just said on Talksport, he expects Tuesday's starting 11 to be the same as the one that started against Tunisia.
So Ali back in for Loftus-cheek (from the Panama game). No surprises really.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Tall Paul wrote:It's hardly pedantic to point out there's a big difference between someone saying the next match would be easier and someone saying the route to the final would be easier.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that any team is guaranteed to lose if they face Brazil. By avoiding the possibility of playing Brazil until the final we have a bigger chance of getting there than Belgium who would be guaranteed to lose in the quarter finals if they got past Japan.

Obviously the assumption isn't true but, as tournament favourites, the chances of England, or anyone else, beating Brazil will be smaller than their chances of beating any of the other teams.

As an aside, we're avoiding the possibility of playing your tip for the tournament until the final as well.
So, in your world, everyone should speak and act as they are in a court of law, with absolute precision leaving no margin for error in understanding? The problem is most other people live in a world where interpretation and 'givens' are the norm. I could argue with you all day about logic and semantics, interpretations and probabilities but it would take too much time and I guess you are the kind of pedant who would just keep on using circular argument and gainsaying in order not to lose (but not actually win). My wife, with a degree in psychology and a personality as stubborn as a mule does that as well, the problem is it doesn't actually lead anywhere.

I stand by my statement, we have the hardest route BECAUSE our next game is the hardest of the two. IF we get past the next game I will re-evaluate.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Foulthrow wrote:It will be interesting to see the approach of both teams in this game - I have feeling Colombia will sit back and try to hit us on the counter.
That's interesting because I thought the opposite, that Colombia will outplay us but we might win with solid defending and good counters. As you say it will be interesting. All clashes between European and South American countries are good because it is usually a clash of styles. I think Colombia will be a good test for our lads and if we get past them we could go all the way, although Sweden are starting to look very good.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:28 pm

FactualFrank wrote:What source did you get this from? I've read a few and they're just going off what Pekerman said straight after the match, before any examination.
BBC Sport, Sky Sports, ESPN, personally watching him come off after 30 minutes, etc, etc and of course...STEVE NICOL! They could of course be wide of the mark but as he came into the tournament injured, didn`t start the first game and now has been withdrawn early in a must-win game, it doesn`t take a rocket scientist...

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:31 pm

HiroshimaClaret wrote:BBC Sport, Sky Sports, ESPN, personally watching him come off after 30 minutes, etc, etc and of course...STEVE NICOL! They could of course be wide of the mark but as he came into the tournament injured, didn`t start the first game and now has been withdrawn early in a must-win game, it doesn`t take a rocket scientist...
It looks like they're just recycling stuff that the manager said after the match. I'll still expect him to start on Tuesday.

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:41 pm

FactualFrank wrote:It looks like they're just recycling stuff that the manager said after the match. I'll still expect him to start on Tuesday.
I suppose we`ll just have to wait and see but if he was an England player in the same situation, your opinion, I guess, would be wholeheartedly different regards his chances of starting.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:42 pm

houseboy wrote:So, in your world, everyone should speak and act as they are in a court of law, with absolute precision leaving no margin for error in understanding? The problem is most other people live in a world where interpretation and 'givens' are the norm. I could argue with you all day about logic and semantics, interpretations and probabilities but it would take too much time and I guess you are the kind of pedant who would just keep on using circular argument and gainsaying in order not to lose (but not actually win). My wife, with a degree in psychology and a personality as stubborn as a mule does that as well, the problem is it doesn't actually lead anywhere.

I stand by my statement, we have the hardest route BECAUSE our next game is the hardest of the two. IF we get past the next game I will re-evaluate.
You're dealing with one of a gaggle of posters, who enjoy nothing more than to crawl, ant-like, over every word and punctuation mark and spelling. To forensically place your every sentence under a micro scope of pedantry. In order to try a disprove what you're saying. Rather than take a point in the spirit it was made, like most normal people would. They zoom in on what they perceive as a chink of weakness in your, written in good spirit, post.

They've transformed nit picking into a ******* art form.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:43 pm

HiroshimaClaret wrote:I suppose we`ll just have to wait and see but..
No buts. We'll wait and see.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:50 pm

FactualFrank wrote:No buts. We'll wait and see.
OK, FF. Have yourself a great Friday.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:54 pm

houseboy wrote:I stand by my statement, we have the hardest route BECAUSE our next game is the hardest of the two. IF we get past the next game I will re-evaluate.
Why can't you look beyond the next game now and evaluate the whole route? Are you that shortsighted and blinkered? Can't you think more than one step ahead? If you're travelling somewhere and you know that one route has a giant mountain along the way, compared to a few small hills if you took a different route, would you wait until you're at the bottom of the mountain before deciding that it was the more difficult route?

I won't bother trying to explain it further as you clearly have little understanding of basic probability.

Sorry to sound harsh, but it's really frustrating that you can't see something that seems so simple to me. You managed to assess Uruguay's chances of winning the other day so why do you seem to be struggling with this?

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:55 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:You're dealing with one of a gaggle of posters, who enjoy nothing more than to crawl, ant-like, over every word and punctuation mark and spelling. To forensically place your every sentence under a micro scope of pedantry. In order to try a disprove what you're saying. Rather than take a point in the spirit it was made, like most normal people would. They zoom in on what they perceive as a chink of weakness in your, written in good spirit, post.

Microscope is all one word.

So is nitpicking.

claretinkorea
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by claretinkorea » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Seems like a lot on here have decided that Colombia would be the more difficult second round match. Just recall the score between Colombia and Japan...

The point is that there really isn't much between any of the teams that were in Group H. I don't think England is any more or less likely to beat one or the other. The choice of Sweden/Switzerland or Brazil/Mexico... Quite happy to let the Belgians have a stab at removing (probably) Brazil (which I wouldn't put past them by the way).

Would be quite nice to have a rematch against Belgium in the final and see what both sides can REALLY do when they both want to win... But for now, no expectations and just enjoying each match as it comes - some cracking second round ties in there!!!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:29 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:You're dealing with one of a gaggle of posters, who enjoy nothing more than to crawl, ant-like, over every word and punctuation mark and spelling. To forensically place your every sentence under a micro scope of pedantry. In order to try a disprove what you're saying. Rather than take a point in the spirit it was made, like most normal people would. They zoom in on what they perceive as a chink of weakness in your, written in good spirit, post.

I realise this mate, I've cross swords with him before I believe (no doubt he will now say I haven't). Pedantry is alive and well and living on this site (thankfully with not too many).

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:30 pm

claretinkorea wrote:some cracking second round ties in there!!!
There certainly is.

Uruguay vs Portugal
France vs Argentina
Spain vs Russia
Brazil vs Mexico

They all look to have the potential of being belters (and biters).

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:38 pm

houseboy wrote:I realise this mate, I've cross swords with him before I believe (no doubt he will now say I haven't). Pedantry is alive and well and living on this site (thankfully with not too many).
It isn't pedantry when you say one thing (such as, "people were saying it might be good to lose because it would be easier in the next round") but mean something entirely different (such as "people were saying it might be good to lose because it would mean an easier route to the final") especially when you base your point on the thing you said rather than the thing you meant.

Things would be a lot easier if posters took a bit more care and said what they meant instead of expecting others to read their minds and realise they meant something entirely different.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Why can't you look beyond the next game now and evaluate the whole route? Are you that shortsighted and blinkered? Can't you think more than one step ahead? If you're travelling somewhere and you know that one route has a giant mountain along the way, compared to a few small hills if you took a different route, would you wait until you're at the bottom of the mountain before deciding that it was the more difficult route?

I won't bother trying to explain it further as you clearly have little understanding of basic probability.

Sorry to sound harsh, but it's really frustrating that you can't see something that seems so simple to me. You managed to assess Uruguay's chances of winning the other day so why do you seem to be struggling with this?
I was going to use the 'journey' analogy but felt you wouldn't grasp it. You obviously have nothing better to do with your time than to run the rule over every statement made on here (yes I have checked you out) in order to start an argument where none existed. This is a football forum, not a courtroom and if I was so inclined, which I am not,
I would gladly engage you in an argument about logic, semantics and the law of probability, I'm actually pretty good at it (have a degree in English Language and Philosophy gained at Salford University some years ago, I also made a very good living at one time as an editorial writer for several business magazines) but frankly I have better things to do.

I suggest you take your 'razor-sharp' wit and analytical skills and start on someone who actually gives a damn what you think.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:54 pm

houseboy wrote:I realise this mate, I've cross swords with him before I believe (no doubt he will now say I haven't). Pedantry is alive and well and living on this site (thankfully with not too many).
I've had the same pal. I happened to mention you could face jail if you didn't pay your tv licence. He reckoned you couldn't. I linked umpteen links to newspaper's showing 1000s of cases. Then he got the scalpel out to disect the words. To claim you don't get jail for not paying your licence, it's for non payment of the 1000 quid fine for non payment of the licence!

He's not called called Tall Paul cos he's high in stature. It's cos he never gets off his high horse.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:59 pm

houseboy wrote:I was going to use the 'journey' analogy but felt you wouldn't grasp it.
Go on then, I've used the analogy to argue my case - that it's the journey as a whole that should be evaluated at the start, please use the analogy to argue yours - that only the first leg of the journey should be assessed. I'm sure I'd grasp it perfectly well. Then we can talk about logic and probabilities.

I'll ignore the rest of your post which is not much more than an ad hominem, but I admit that I do like a good argument, it helps pass the time on a boring Friday.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:59 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:I've had the same pal. I happened to mention you could face jail if you didn't pay your tv licence. He reckoned you couldn't. I linked umpteen links to newspaper's showing 1000s of cases. Then he got the scalpel out to disect the words. To claim you don't get jail for not paying your licence, it's for non payment of the 1000 quid fine for non payment of the licence!

He's not called called Tall Paul cos he's high in stature. It's cos he never gets off his high horse.
I remember that very thread. The debate split into what, exactly, you would get jailed for, TV licence evasion or non-payment of fines. Of course it would be the latter but your original argument was valid I suppose because the end result would be the same.

TP will be reviewing that thread now as we speak.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Go on then, I've used the analogy to argue my case - that it's the journey as a whole that should be evaluated at the start, please use the analogy to argue yours - that only the first leg of the journey should be assessed. I'm sure I'd grasp it perfectly well. Then we can talk about logic and probabilities.

I'll ignore the rest of your post which is not much more than an ad hominem, but I admit that I do like a good argument, it helps pass the time on a boring Friday.
I would but alas I am actually at work unlike your good self who appears to be either retired or unemployed. Now run along and before you do make sure you reply to this post by saying something along the lines of 'Aha, I've got you, you can't argue with me so you are running away'. It's what pedants do when faced with someone who can't be bothered with them. It's the kind of psychological argument developed over the years to avoid losing an argument. It puts the opponent in an impossible position, either making them continue a circular argument or face being accused of having no answers. As I have said I have been married for 30 years to a far better opponent than you, the difference is I care a good deal for my wife whereas you are not even on the radar.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm

houseboy wrote:I remember that very thread. The debate split into what, exactly, you would get jailed for, TV licence evasion or non-payment of fines. Of course it would be the latter but your original argument was valid I suppose because the end result would be the same.

TP will be reviewing that thread now as we speak.
Exactly, rather than taking it in the spirit it was made....

If you can't afford the 150 or what ever the licence is. It's unlikely you'll be able to stump up the grand fine. As you'll be aware, the all too predictable, pedantry rabbit hole, subsequently, ensued!

If I'd really wanted to waste valuable time, locking horns with an anal, stubborn as a mountain goat-like, common sense lacking bore. I could have given the ex wife a phone.

I'll sign off now take it easy.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:54 pm

in the age of Twitter speculation, who needs sources?

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:17 pm

houseboy wrote:I would but alas I am actually at work unlike your good self who appears to be either retired or unemployed.
You've made more than twice as many posts as me today and more posts per day over the time you've been registered (I've checked you out too). Who's the one with nothing better to do with their time?
RingoMcCartney wrote:If I'd really wanted to waste valuable time, locking horns with an anal, stubborn as a mountain goat-like, common sense lacking bore. I could have given the ex wife a phone.
And yet lock horns you always do. Not only that, but you persist in bringing up old arguments months after everyone else has let them go.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You've made more than twice as many posts as me today and more posts per day over the time you've been registered (I've checked you out too). Who's the one with nothing better to do with their time?

And yet lock horns you always do. Not only that, but you persist in bringing up old arguments months after everyone else has let them go.
Don't be a cock all your life Paul. It's Friday. Take the weekend off.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:37 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Don't be a cock all your life Paul. It's Friday. Take the weekend off.
Pot, kettle, black.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:05 am

To be honest i am thinking 1-1 after 120 minutes then you know what will happen .

DefourFiveSix
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by DefourFiveSix » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:14 am

Extra time and pens.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:33 am

no chance, 4-0 england written all over it, colombia are useles.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:30 am

Looking like Rodriguez will play after all,https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44651678 a major boost for Colombia if correct.