Whatever happens now

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Japebe43
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Whatever happens now

Post by Japebe43 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Southgate and his young players deserve an ovation at prem grounds next season.

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Re: Whatever happens now

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 pm

Southgate? Every time he comes? He's got a season ticket, remember.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:48 pm

"What happens now?"

I know it's work in the morning but England have won on penalties.

I'm having another pint!
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone FactualFrank WazzaClaret

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:49 pm

Just think it'd be a nice gesture.. Particulary after the former 'you let your country down' nonsense.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:08 am

If we win the thing... damn right! The Quarter Finals is the least we should have achieved to be honest.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:15 am

Japebe43 wrote:Just think it'd be a nice gesture.. Particulary after the former 'you let your country down' nonsense.
We've played Tunisia, Panama, Belgium and Colombia.

Let's keep the bunting down just for now.
These 2 users liked this post: box_of_frogs Foulthrow

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:16 am

This was expectation level at the max was to reach the QF

Anything after this is a bonus, especially after breaking our penalty shoot out hoodoo.
This user liked this post: Japebe43

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:23 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:This was expectation level at the max was to reach the QF

Anything after this is a bonus, especially after breaking our penalty shoot out hoodoo.
Pre-tournament that was assuming we would be lining up against Brazil in a quarter-final and not Sweden.That was ugly but makes a change for England to win ugly and squeeze through on pens.

Looking at the last 8 Brazil stand out a mile can't see anyone stopping them,but any of the other 7 remaining teams could make the final.

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:23 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:This was expectation level at the max was to reach the QF

That's what I think. I appreciate what binontturf is saying.. On paper it doesn't look that impressive.. But tournament football is another level to beating these sides in friendlies.. They up their games and use nasty tactics to win anyway they can.. The lads have done so well IMO.

GordonvaleClaret
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by GordonvaleClaret » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 am

If I was a neutral, I'd be saying "England has nothing". As a keen wannawin fan I say "England hasn't got much". Today I feel as though my disappointment has been delayed for a few days.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:30 am

Japebe47 you are not allowed to support a football team on this forum you need to show a level of appreciation that allows you to dissect a performance by a international football team that shows you are of an higher footballing cast than your peers. The ramblings of course have to be utter bolllcks and delivered after about 8 pints or a shift at Lupton and Place

IMO England played quite well tonight and for the majority were comfortably the better side and deserved the win.
These 2 users liked this post: WazzaClaret PaintYorkClaretnBlue

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:31 am

GordonvaleClaret wrote:If I was a neutral, I'd be saying "England has nothing". As a keen wannawin fan I say "England hasn't got much". Today I feel as though my disappointment has been delayed for a few days.
I hope you are in a minority.
This user liked this post: WazzaClaret

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:35 am

Trying to be a neutral I'd say I was surprised at how good England's one touch passing was. Look at when we passed it in defence when we didn't need to. Not a single side has played anywhere near the perfect game this tournamemnt. Nowhere near.

In fact, I'll tell you who has played the best football - Spain. And they got knocked out. Not a single side has yet blown this competition open. It makes you think. The World Champions of 2018 hasn't even started playing decent football yet.

Raz
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Raz » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 am

All I can say is we now have executed a penalty shoot out well and have the monkey off our back. Open play simply was not good enough and will not be against a decent team.

They have plenty to work on however it will come down to smaller margins now and how they deal with the pressure.

Even against Brazil, get an early goal against them and I could see them come apart.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:58 am

Raz wrote:All I can say is we now have executed a penalty shoot out well and have the monkey off our back. Open play simply was not good enough and will not be against a decent team.

They have plenty to work on however it will come down to smaller margins now and how they deal with the pressure.

Even against Brazil, get an early goal against them and I could see them come apart.
True. There is not one country we should be afraid of.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:29 am

FactualFrank wrote:True. There is not one country we should be afraid of.
7 by my reckoning

jlup1980
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:36 am

Raz wrote:Open play simply was not good enough and will not be against a decent team.
I don't agree with this. It's very hard to create anything in open play if your opponent has no intention of playing football. Columbia basically let us have the ball in our half last night but whenever we entered the final third they just gave away a petty foul, surrounded the referee and took any momentum out of the game. A truly horrible team.

That was their gameplan and it nearly worked. I agree we need to be better with the ball, Sterling and Alli in particular, but I don't think we'll play anyone else in this tournament with the same "anti-football" set-up as Columbia. They disappointed me massively as they have decent footballers. Panama had to play a cynical match out of necessity, Columbia did it through choice. They were despicable.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:41 am

FactualFrank wrote:Trying to be a neutral I'd say I was surprised at how good England's one touch passing was. Look at when we passed it in defence when we didn't need to. Not a single side has played anywhere near the perfect game this tournamemnt. Nowhere near.

In fact, I'll tell you who has played the best football - Spain. And they got knocked out. Not a single side has yet blown this competition open. It makes you think. The World Champions of 2018 hasn't even started playing decent football yet.
The standard of International football is pretty poor, apart from Belgium I wouldn't say any of the major nations have great teams given past squads. Like the current Brazil side is nowhere near that 2002 lot. Italy, Holland, Spain, Germany, Argentina, England, France have all had better sides in the past 20 years than they currently have.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:02 am

jlup1980 wrote:I don't agree with this. It's very hard to create anything in open play if your opponent has no intention of playing football. Columbia basically let us have the ball in our half last night but whenever we entered the final third they just gave away a petty foul, surrounded the referee and took any momentum out of the game. A truly horrible team.

That was their gameplan and it nearly worked. I agree we need to be better with the ball, Sterling and Alli in particular, but I don't think we'll play anyone else in this tournament with the same "anti-football" set-up as Columbia. They disappointed me massively as they have decent footballers. Panama had to play a cynical match out of necessity, Columbia did it through choice. They were despicable.
Saying that, their goalkeeper was the less busy of the two as Pickford seemed to make more saves than Ospina, although you can see why Mina has played for Barca as he seemed to win everything in the air.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:58 am

Spijed wrote:Saying that, their goalkeeper was the less busy of the two as Pickford seemed to make more saves than Ospina, although you can see why Mina has played for Barca as he seemed to win everything in the air.
I thought their keeper and centre halves were excellent. The rest were cynical to say the least. Mina looks absolute class and will get a move easily if he can't get a game with Barca.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:08 am

As a neutral I was somewhat dissapointed with England yesterday. After going ahead against a team that showed nothing over 60 mins or so, they crept back and invited problems.
At this WC they have faced poor opposition to date. They have a great draw and chance to proceed but they need to revert to attacking play which is their forte.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:14 am

FactualFrank wrote:True. There is not one country we should be afraid of.
Not one country will be afraid of England either to be fair - not based on those last two matches. You could win it. This is probably your best chance since 66, but Sweden won't be bricking it.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:21 am

All the build up was about how great Colombia were and how they would dominate the ball.

Well, England certainly did that and with a premier league referee would of only been facing 8 men by the end. They were a horrible team to play against and I think every neutral in the world would of wanted us to go through.

I would still like to see Rose start with a left foot able to cross from that side but generally we're in a decent place. Maybe a touch too easy to score against but we have scored in every game.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:22 am

Colombia were awful in the end

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am

edison wrote:Colombia were awful in the end
You're only as good as your opponent lets you.

But you're right they sat back offered nothing and made it difficult for England and the ref.

All international games are tight at this stage, just get through and think of the next.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:34 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:All the build up was about how great Colombia were and how they would dominate the ball.

Well, England certainly did that and with a premier league referee would of only been facing 8 men by the end. They were a horrible team to play against and I think every neutral in the world would of wanted us to go through.

I would still like to see Rose start with a left foot able to cross from that side but generally we're in a decent place. Maybe a touch too easy to score against but we have scored in every game.
We didn't score against Belgium.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 am

RocketLawnChair wrote:We didn't score against Belgium.
You're right but we created the best chance of the tournament.

Conspiracy theorists went through the roof.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:You're right
That's the only reply needed QTT ;)
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 722 times
Has Liked: 2028 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:08 am

It's coming home lads!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:03 pm

I'm really happy with what we have achieved so far and I do believe Southgate is moving us in the right direction. We are a long way from the finished article yet though. To be real for a minute (and after last night that is hard), we have won two games within 90 minutes, Tunisia and Panama, neither of whom can be described as good (I think Stanley could beat Panama), we have lost to Belgium and (at the end of normal play) drew with Colombia. The real slightly worrying thing is we have conceded in every game, even against Panama, and I wonder how we will fair defensively against the likes of France, Belgium, Brazil or Uruguay? If we accept that we may well concede against any of these teams do we have enough up front, Kane apart, to deal with that situation? I actually think, now that we or on the day after and can look at it coldly, I think the way we played last night if it had been one of the other 4 above they may well have brushed us aside.

I hope I am totally wrong.

On the 'Burnley' link I think that Trippier was a possible m-o-t-m last night, he was awesome. He looked slightly to blame for the goal but not much as it is very difficult to defend a super header like that. My only other candidates would be Maguire or Pickford. Why is Stirling still starting and why was Lingard so poor last night.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm

houseboy wrote:I'm really happy with what we have achieved so far and I do believe Southgate is moving us in the right direction. We are a long way from the finished article yet though. To be real for a minute (and after last night that is hard), we have won two games within 90 minutes, Tunisia and Panama, neither of whom can be described as good (I think Stanley could beat Panama), we have lost to Belgium and (at the end of normal play) drew with Colombia. The real slightly worrying thing is we have conceded in every game, even against Panama, and I wonder how we will fair defensively against the likes of France, Belgium, Brazil or Uruguay? If we accept that we may well concede against any of these teams do we have enough up front, Kane apart, to deal with that situation? I actually think, now that we or on the day after and can look at it coldly, I think the way we played last night if it had been one of the other 4 above they may well have brushed us aside.
Good job we avoided their side of the draw then, eh?
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 722 times
Has Liked: 2028 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:35 pm

houseboy wrote:I'm really happy with what we have achieved so far and I do believe Southgate is moving us in the right direction. We are a long way from the finished article yet though. To be real for a minute (and after last night that is hard), we have won two games within 90 minutes, Tunisia and Panama, neither of whom can be described as good (I think Stanley could beat Panama), we have lost to Belgium and (at the end of normal play) drew with Colombia. The real slightly worrying thing is we have conceded in every game, even against Panama, and I wonder how we will fair defensively against the likes of France, Belgium, Brazil or Uruguay? If we accept that we may well concede against any of these teams do we have enough up front, Kane apart, to deal with that situation? I actually think, now that we or on the day after and can look at it coldly, I think the way we played last night if it had been one of the other 4 above they may well have brushed us aside.

I hope I am totally wrong.

On the 'Burnley' link I think that Trippier was a possible m-o-t-m last night, he was awesome. He looked slightly to blame for the goal but not much as it is very difficult to defend a super header like that. My only other candidates would be Maguire or Pickford. Why is Stirling still starting and why was Lingard so poor last night.
We're getting to the final at least in that case!