Aberdeen at home - a sell out?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Illgresi
Been Liked: 21 times

Re: Aberdeen at home - a sell out?

Post by Illgresi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:58 pm

Dyched wrote:Celtic?!? :lol:

Id pay good money. I mean a hell of ALOT of money to see Ashley Barnes put Scott Brown on his arse. Several times.
I despise Celtic every bit as much as I do Rangers, but have to give them respect. I didn't see anything from you guys that Celtic don't regularly do better.

TonbridgeClaret
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Anyone know if this game will be included on the season's 'guess the gate' competition?

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Illgresi wrote:I despise Celtic every bit as much as I do Rangers, but have to give them respect. I didn't see anything from you guys that Celtic don't regularly do better.

Come off it. We beat Chelsea away, drew with Spurs at Wembley, drew with Liverpool away, drew with United away after they scored a last minute equaliser. We're still in 1st gear and I doubt it'll take much more than 2nd gear to send you home unhappy on Thursday evening. My view on Scottish football hasn't changed. I love the passion of the Scottish fans, I love the rivalries, but the league in general is a joke.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Illgresi wrote:Alright lads, Dons fan here. Thought I'd sign up and have a chat. Thoroughly enjoyed the game the other night, thought it was a really competitive, blood and thunder kind of game you would expect from two UK teams. Gutted about the goal we conceeded, but overall thought we matched up well given the enormous financial differences between our clubs.

Would love to come down on Thursday and sample some Burnley hospitality but have booked all my holidays this year; lesson learned. I think the away goal will probably see you through unfortunately, but I hope it's as competitive at Turf Moor. Despite the high probability of us going out, I hope we've given you a new perspective on Scottish football, as we're constantly derided by English football fans (on this forum amongst many others).

I will say, there's been many comments about your team not being fully prepared, but you should remember, it was our first competitive game also. We played fairly well, but also were nowhere near our peak performance. I'd also say on the basis of Thursday night, Celtic would likely have put 3 or 4 past you.

That said, you all seem good lads, and wish you all the best for the coming season (starting on Friday). :)
Burnley are a team geared up for playing without the ball, so would be more comfortable against Celtic than yourselves. Keeping it tight, catching teams on the break and waiting for them to make mistakes.
I know you expected more as we play in the overhyped premier league but it's 6 mega clubs Everton and then the rest at probably Celtics level.

TonbridgeClaret
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Getting back to the thread title for a minute - just had a basic count of the remaining availability (sad I know) and there are about 4,800 left, so very unlikely to reach a sellout but should be 17,000 - 18,000.
This user liked this post: chekhov

Red Don
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Red Don » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:32 pm

SalouClaret wrote:Come off it. We beat Chelsea away, drew with Spurs at Wembley, drew with Liverpool away, drew with United away after they scored a last minute equaliser. We're still in 1st gear and I doubt it'll take much more than 2nd gear to send you home unhappy on Thursday evening. My view on Scottish football hasn't changed. I love the passion of the Scottish fans, I love the rivalries, but the league in general is a joke.
Interesting statement.

Give each club in the SPL another 50 million quid each and I'm sure the league wouldn't be as funny as you think it is.

And for what it's worth, for all the riches in your Premiership, there's a hell of a lot of utter shite in there. 6 or 7 decent clubs last season, and everybody else battling against relegation.

No league in the world is more overpaid, over-hyped and over-rated.

And as much of a joke as we are, you couldn't even beat us. That's funny.
This user liked this post: LancasterRedAFC

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 pm

No it isn't, its called football

LancasterRedAFC
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by LancasterRedAFC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:39 am

yeah so which nice clarets fan wants to make £25 for their club and buy me a ticket? :) It seems obvious now that you should have given us the entire away end.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:25 am

LancasterRedAFC wrote:It seems obvious now that you should have given us the entire away end.
You have the entire away end numb nuts :roll:

LancasterRedAFC
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by LancasterRedAFC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Barry_Chuckle wrote:You have the entire away end numb nuts :roll:
The stadium plan I saw said different. Anyway, if you can't sell out the game it's a poor reflection on your support, though I understand Burnley is quite a small town.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Quite a small town about half size of Lancaster.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:24 pm

LancasterRedAFC wrote:The stadium plan I saw said different. Anyway, if you can't sell out the game it's a poor reflection on your support, though I understand Burnley is quite a small town.
Of course the fact the 2nd leg is televised will have no bearing on potential attendees :roll:

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm

LancasterRedAFC wrote:yeah so which nice clarets fan wants to make £25 for their club and buy me a ticket? :) It seems obvious now that you should have given us the entire away end.
Why don't you meet up with Lancaster Claret to prove your alright and he might sort you out a ticket.
Last edited by Quickenthetempo on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millertime v1.7
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Millertime v1.7 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Blutes isn't going to be able to make this one.

ecc
Been Liked: 1436 times
Has Liked: 1284 times

Post by ecc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 pm

"Give each club in the SPL another 50 million quid each and I'm sure the league wouldn't be as funny as you think it is.'

Perfectly valid point.

Maybe some Burnley fans should look at the demographics of England and Scotland before slagging off Scottish football (and no I have no Scottish blood in me).

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:42 pm

ecc wrote:"Give each club in the SPL another 50 million quid each and I'm sure the league wouldn't be as funny as you think it is.'

Perfectly valid point.

Maybe some Burnley fans should look at the demographics of England and Scotland before slagging off Scottish football (and no I have no Scottish blood in me).
Good post i stated before the first leg,a trip to Pittodrie would be tough,the top 6 in the SPL are organised and physical,and Aberdeen have finished above Rangers for the past two seasons,yet many people feared a trip to Ibrox,importantly Aberdeen are battle-hardened in European competitions especially in the summer months.

Yes we had a good season last year and finished 7th,but the gap between the top six and the rest is massive,the Premier League is a good standard but i remember watching some dross games on Sky last year the hype is overdone,Liverpool were the first English team since Chelsea in 2012 to reach the Champions League Final,in that time Spain and Italy have had several finalists between them.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:14 pm

My juices have started to flow today,will I be able to turn up on Thursday and purchase a ticket?

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Millertime v1.7 wrote:Blutes isn't going to be able to make this one.
I presume the Centre is short-staffed and can't spare the staff required to accompany him ?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Steve1956 wrote:My juices have started to flow today,will I be able to turn up on Thursday and purchase a ticket?

I'd say so....
( if images are still not working, it shows 80% of the ground still with "good availability" )
Attachments
IMG-20180729-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20180729-WA0007.jpg (121.85 KiB) Viewed 2643 times

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:39 pm

MACCA wrote:I'd say so....
( if images are still not working, it shows 80% of the ground still with "good availability" )
Cheers my little Scottish cherub

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Red Don wrote:Interesting statement.

Give each club in the SPL another 50 million quid each and I'm sure the league wouldn't be as funny as you think it is.

And for what it's worth, for all the riches in your Premiership, there's a hell of a lot of utter shite in there. 6 or 7 decent clubs last season, and everybody else battling against relegation.

The first paragraph is right - and I have absolutely no doubt that if Rangers and Celtic played in the (English) Premier League, they’d be challenging the top six within a few years. Unfortunately for Scottish football, however, it doesn’t have any money and the standard is as low as it has ever been.

I have a lot of affection for Aberdeen having watched them regularly in the late 80’s but despite the gritty performance, to me they still looked a very limited side.

Nevertheless this is cup football, and we’ve been knocked out of cups by Accy Stanley and Lincoln in recent years!!!

SalouClaret

Post by SalouClaret » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Red Don wrote:Interesting statement.

Very true, but that's like saying give Burnley £1,000,000,000 and we'd challenge for the Premier League title. It's all ifs and buts. The Scottish leagues are still very poor. It's just a fact. Again, I love the fans and the passion but facts are facts. Sorry!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Red Don
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Red Don » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:23 pm

SalouClaret wrote:Very true, but that's like saying give Burnley £1,000,000,000 and we'd challenge for the Premier League title. It's all ifs and buts. The Scottish leagues are still very poor. It's just a fact. Again, I love the fans and the passion but facts are facts. Sorry!
Don't be sorry, your opinion is perfectly valid ;)

I don't disagree with the fact that general quality in the Scottish leagues is anything like comparable with the Premiership etc.....I simply take issue with your statement that it's a 'joke'.

Money means everything in football, and our budget is miniscule compared with your budget. And because of that we simply can't afford the quality of player that you have. How much does 500 grand buy you these days ? In England it buys you an under 17 prospect from Gillingham...in Scotland it buys the whole Aberdeen 1st team squad.

Saying that, we have eyes and we see that the Premiership (last season) was an incredibly poor competition. A small league of 5 at the top, a few clubs under them, and after that every single club fighting relegation up until April. Given the 10's of millions that every single Premiership club has available, God there was a hell of a dross in your league.

I'm not complaining about the wealth in your game, it's obscene but that's the way it is. It's very harsh to call the SPL a 'joke' though....it isn't. And the fact that we've beaten better teams than Burnley away from home in Europe over the last few seasons proves that.

I don't think we'll win on Thursday, but I do believe we have a chance. So be careful that your comments don't come back to bite you... :D
This user liked this post: SalouClaret

SalouClaret

Post by SalouClaret » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Red Don wrote:Don't be sorry, your opinion is perfectly valid ;)

I don't disagree with the fact that general quality in the Scottish leagues is anything like comparable with the Premiership etc.....I simply take issue with your statement that it's a 'joke'.

Money means everything in football, and our budget is miniscule compared with your budget. And because of that we simply can't afford the quality of player that you have. How much does 500 grand buy you these days ? In England it buys you an under 17 prospect from Gillingham...in Scotland it buys the whole Aberdeen 1st team squad.

Saying that, we have eyes and we see that the Premiership (last season) was an incredibly poor competition. A small league of 5 at the top, a few clubs under them, and after that every single club fighting relegation up until April. Given the 10's of millions that every single Premiership club has available, God there was a hell of a dross in your league.

I'm not complaining about the wealth in your game, it's obscene but that's the way it is. It's very harsh to call the SPL a 'joke' though....it isn't. And the fact that we've beaten better teams than Burnley away from home in Europe over the last few seasons proves that.

I don't think we'll win on Thursday, but I do believe we have a chance. So be careful that your comments don't come back to bite you... :D

I see the SPL as the girl you went to school with who was a solid 9 out of 10, but now she has 7 kids and a skinhead. I watch Scottish football, there's some cracking matches and maybe 'joke' was the wrong word. I really wouldn't be surprised if you beat us on Thursday (I still haven't recovered from Lincoln at home last season) but the SPL has been on the decline since the whole Rangers debacle. Hopefully Gerrard can make them competitive again and make the league attractive to players and TV companies alike.

Ps. 100% agree about money in football being obscene, especially in England, but hey we can't help that.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:48 pm

It's the internet, people exaggerate to get their point across.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi red don.

As a resident in Scotland (central belt ) for nearly 35 years Iv seen/heard/read plenty about Scottish football to know what it’s like. Obviously your aware as much as I am that’s it’s either Celtic or Rangers with a small amount of Hibs/Hearts and Aberdeen thrown in.

Iv got to agree with the general sentiment that the SPL is a poor standard of league, this is down to 3 reasons and one directly causes the other 2. The majority of people in Scotland support either side of the old firm mainly through religious reasons. The rest of the teams don’t get much representation unfortunately. Because if this the old firm teams can command the most revenue, media attention and are more attractive to players out with Scotland. The old firm also have a tendency to buy promising players from other teams just so they don’t have them. The Hibs youngsters 2004-2007 a prime example ( Scot Brown, Gary Caldwell, Steven Whitaker, Derek Riordan, Gary O,Connor, Ian Murray, Kevin Thompson )

The standard has been slipping year on year for me and the sevco saga basically dragged it down further. Go back and have a look at the squads of the 90s and compare them to today’s. Absolutely no comparison.

I see the same happening in England but to a lesser extent. There are a gaggle or super clubs but at least the rest of the teams are of a good standard certainly by far and away much better than any other leagues in the world. The 3 relegated clubs from last seasons EPL would IMO comfortably compete in any other league.

With regards to Aberdeen. I admire the fans ( any non old firm fans get a nod of approval ) but you know as well as info that your attendances will be 10-12k apart from the old firm games. You’s have a proud history but by today’s standards you’d aren’t by any means a big club. Your gaffer left a bigger club in his previous job. I put Bristol City as a bigger club than Aberdeen in terms of fan base, budget, facilities, And strength of squad.

The best thing that could happen to Scottish football is for the the old firm to disappear to another league.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2249 times

Post by mkmel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Is it 7.45 kick off at home to Aberdeen?

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:13 pm

mkmel wrote:Is it 7.45 kick off at home to Aberdeen?
No mate - it’s at quarter to 8.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 pm

Right_winger wrote:Hi red don.

As a resident in Scotland (central belt ) for nearly 35 years Iv seen/heard/read plenty about Scottish football to know what it’s like. Obviously your aware as much as I am that’s it’s either Celtic or Rangers with a small amount of Hibs/Hearts and Aberdeen thrown in.

Iv got to agree with the general sentiment that the SPL is a poor standard of league, this is down to 3 reasons and one directly causes the other 2. The majority of people in Scotland support either side of the old firm mainly through religious reasons. The rest of the teams don’t get much representation unfortunately. Because if this the old firm teams can command the most revenue, media attention and are more attractive to players out with Scotland. The old firm also have a tendency to buy promising players from other teams just so they don’t have them. The Hibs youngsters 2004-2007 a prime example ( Scot Brown, Gary Caldwell, Steven Whitaker, Derek Riordan, Gary O,Connor, Ian Murray, Kevin Thompson )

The standard has been slipping year on year for me and the sevco saga basically dragged it down further. Go back and have a look at the squads of the 90s and compare them to today’s. Absolutely no comparison.

I see the same happening in England but to a lesser extent. There are a gaggle or super clubs but at least the rest of the teams are of a good standard certainly by far and away much better than any other leagues in the world. The 3 relegated clubs from last seasons EPL would IMO comfortably compete in any other league.

With regards to Aberdeen. I admire the fans ( any non old firm fans get a nod of approval ) but you know as well as info that your attendances will be 10-12k apart from the old firm games. You’s have a proud history but by today’s standards you’d aren’t by any means a big club. Your gaffer left a bigger club in his previous job. I put Bristol City as a bigger club than Aberdeen in terms of fan base, budget, facilities, And strength of squad.

The best thing that could happen to Scottish football is for the the old firm to disappear to another league.
You raise a valid point about the old firm buying players,and stifling their development by leaving them on the bench or out of the squad altogether,Hibs are again being raided this summer after a successful season,sadly this will continue until either a mega money owner buys one of the feeder clubs or the ugly sisters fly the nest,if they are serious about another league,i assume you mean the English Leagues then they need to come into the 21st century and dump all the sectarian nonsense.

Onto the rest of the league there is some good footballers in the SPL,Hibs are an obvious example,but Kilmarnock have produced some promising youngsters under Steve Clarke,and bloodied the noses of both Old Firm clubs last season,the monies are dwarfed by even English non- League salaries hence Adam Rooney seeing the pound signs and jumping,but as Burnley have found to our cost money just inflates the market even average Championship players are trading for circa 10 million.
This user liked this post: Right_winger

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:39 pm

bfccrazy wrote:No mate - it’s at quarter to 8.
You sure it isn't 19-45?

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:43 pm

The Enclosure wrote:You sure it isn't 19-45?
1945 was when we were last in Europe wasn’t it?

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:45 pm

On the point of thePremier League being a “very poor competition”, i would say if there are 5 or 6 teams capable of winning it, that still makes it the most competitive league in Europe, possibly the world.

As for the rest of us being “dross”, I guess that’s all relative.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2249 times

Post by mkmel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:14 pm

bfccrazy wrote:No mate - it’s at quarter to 8.

I wasn't sure which one it was so thanks for letting me know

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:37 pm

bfccrazy wrote:1945 was when we were last in Europe wasn’t it?
1945 was when we came out of Europe.