David Davis resigns

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnleymik
Been Liked: 1171 times
Has Liked: 2916 times

Re: David Davis resigns

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Spijed wrote:But we already know how it works for them. They have been operating in that business environment for years.

Their costs and pricing reflect the current rules and regulations.
So, it's a case of well they are already paying, so tough?

Do you see what I am getting at? there are positives and negatives on both sides, it's not just this one sided-doom and gloom story we constantly hear from the remainers.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:38 pm

martin_p wrote:So by my reckoning that’s five pro-EU and five not (I assume they’re not as they’ve not been marked pro-EU). Seems pretty balanced to me.
To be fair, I think we can safely assume the ex-Labour members are more likely to be pro-remain, considering I can only think a limited few Labour supporters who want the Brexit voted for.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:If you really believe it is a risk for ordinary people you need to look more closely at stagnating GDP per capita (or real terms wages / disposable income after housing costs) over the last 10 years since mass migration started. Looking at it more closely broken down by sector is even more revealing. Then look at equivalent figures for other major world nations during this (supposed) boom.
if you really believe its purely down to mass migration, you'd have to ask why the government haven't controlled it. there was nothing stopping them before brexit so why try to do it now?

of course, mass migration is unlikely to end anyway as whilst immigration from the eu is falling, immigration from outside the eu is rising. just a shame its those such as the doctors and nurses we need who are leaving.
These 2 users liked this post: burnleymik Greenmile

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:46 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:i'm not misrepresenting anything. two posts above mine was someone who supports brexit saying they aren't risking anything. its a pretty typical attitude you tend to find with brexiteers. you only need to look at the people in government who support it. lots of 'normal' people are risking things. people's livelihoods and businesses are at stake. especially in places like burnley which will be hit hardest, whatever type of brexit we end up with.
I am not sure you realise how much of an impact the EU has had on the poorest in our societies and the reasons they voted Brexit?. At this point they haven't got a lot to lose. These are the people on the front line who feel it the hardest. It;'s easy for these middle-class virtue signalling types in their more affluent areas, with their private healthcare and education not to realise just how much it has changed things.

The fact is the majority of EU migration is low skilled workers, low skilled workers end up on minimum wage and therefore automatically drift towards the cheap housing, aka the poorer areas. These areas then have the extra burden of more kids in the schools, longer wait times at GP surgeries, more competition for the housing, which pushes up rent, more competition for the low skilled jobs. etc etc. This has a significant impact,as you can imagine and whenever they try to complain about it they are screamed down by the left as racists and xenophobic. Brexit was a chance for them to fight back and feel like they had a voice again.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:46 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:i'm not misrepresenting anything. two posts above mine was someone who supports brexit saying they aren't risking anything. its a pretty typical attitude you tend to find with brexiteers. you only need to look at the people in government who support it. lots of 'normal' people are risking things. people's livelihoods and businesses are at stake. especially in places like burnley which will be hit hardest, whatever type of brexit we end up with.
The people of Burnley had 40 odd years of EU membership to decide whether or not they thought it was a good thing or a bad thing.

Despite promises of economic catastrophe and Armageddon.

66% said bad.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:to be fair, anyone who listens to anything priti patel says is ****** in the head.
It's unlikely this lot were ever going to listen was it

Meet the Ten Members of the 'Electoral Commission' Board: What do they all have in common? 1. Chairman Sir John Holmes (Pro EU Remainer). 2. Dame Sue Bruce (Pro EU Remainer). 3. Anna Carragher (Pro EU Remainer), 4. Tony Hobman (Pro EU Remainer), 5. John Horam (Pro EU Remainer), 6. David Howarth (Pro EU Remainer), 7. Alasdair Morgan (Pro EU Remainer), 8. Bridget Prentice (Pro EU Remainer), 9. Elan Closs Stephens MBE (Pro EU Remainer), 10. Rob Vincent CBE (Pro EU Remainer)

The sinister self serving Establishment conniving against the People....

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:52 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:if you really believe its purely down to mass migration, you'd have to ask why the government haven't controlled it. there was nothing stopping them before brexit so why try to do it now?
This a myth portrayed by remainers. We cannot control the numbers or the quality of people coming here from the EU. Yes, we can supposedly remove them after 3 months if they have no means to support themselves, but the government tried that with some rough sleepers and EU law overturned their decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-unlawful" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as someone says they are coming here to work, then anyone can come from the EU and we cannot stop them.

I think most Brexiteers would rather have quality over quantity any day of the week. I would rather have a skilled person that a UK business specifically needs and cannot recruit in the UK, from anywhere in the world, rather than anyone at all, just because they live in the EU.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm

So just to check, all of you who voted Brexit are happy that the campaigns that backed your views broke the law?

-Quick edit as I think its unfair to claim that it made enough of a difference to the referendum result.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:09 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:ah the good old 'i'm alright, jack' attitude of the brexiteer.
So you accuse brexiteers of wishing themselves economic suicide cos of all the really really bad things that'll come cos of leaving the EU. Yet simultaneously accuse them of the I'm alright Jack attitude

I'd say there are millions of the cosseted middle class dwellers of the metropolitan London borough of ivory towers, who voted Remain, and still dont accept democracy, who are desperate to maintain the political status quo. It gives those luvvies and dinner party goers, cheap nannies, tradesmen and ensures they get their mocha frappa wotsits prepared for them by zero hours contracts, cheap foreign labour.

They are the true standard bearers of "I'm alright darling"

I believe this attitude is prevalent in nice leafy villages around the river Lune.......
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:So just to check, all of you who voted Brexit are happy that the campaigns that backed your views broke the law?

-Quick edit as I think its unfair to claim that it made enough of a difference to the referendum result.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/priti ... standards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Priti Patel: Refusal to probe Remain campaign shows Electoral Commission’s ‘double standards’

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/priti ... standards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 72021.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Great

But imagine my shock that it wasn't the answer to the question I asked.

So again, So just to check, all of you who voted Brexit are happy that the campaigns that backed your views broke the law?
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:13 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:So you accuse brexiteers of wishing themselves economic suicide cos of all the really really bad things that'll come cos of leaving the EU. Yet simultaneously accuse them of the I'm alright Jack attitude
nope.

not all brexiteers are the same, just as not all remainers are the same.

i appreciate something not being black and white will be hard for you to process though so please do keep regurgitating your tedious copy and paste attempts at insults.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:15 pm

burnleymik wrote:This a myth portrayed by remainers. We cannot control the numbers or the quality of people coming here from the EU. Yes, we can supposedly remove them after 3 months if they have no means to support themselves, but the government tried that with some rough sleepers and EU law overturned their decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-unlawful" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as someone says they are coming here to work, then anyone can come from the EU and we cannot stop them.

I think most Brexiteers would rather have quality over quantity any day of the week. I would rather have a skilled person that a UK business specifically needs and cannot recruit in the UK, from anywhere in the world, rather than anyone at all, just because they live in the EU.
it isn't a myth. i'll leave you lads to it though, we've been round the houses on brexit all discussed it all before.

lunch calls.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Great

But I imagine my shock that it wasn't the answer to the question I asked.

So again, So just to check, all of you who voted Brexit are happy that the campaigns that backed your views broke the law?
I can't keep count of how many of my points you have failed to answer....

The police haven't confirmed the law has been broken yet. This just proves you are regurgitating the pro remain media narrative.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Great

But I imagine my shock that it wasn't the answer to the question I asked.

I'd be happier if -

Meet the Ten Members of the 'Electoral Commission' Board: What do they all have in common? 1. Chairman Sir John Holmes (Pro EU Remainer). 2. Dame Sue Bruce (Pro EU Remainer). 3. Anna Carragher (Pro EU Remainer), 4. Tony Hobman (Pro EU Remainer), 5. John Horam (Pro EU Remainer), 6. David Howarth (Pro EU Remainer), 7. Alasdair Morgan (Pro EU Remainer), 8. Bridget Prentice (Pro EU Remainer), 9. Elan Closs Stephens MBE (Pro EU Remainer), 10. Rob Vincent CBE (Pro EU Remainer)

Had investigated accusations of over spending by Remain with as much vigour......

Remainers - proud to be part of an anti democratic, self serving, Establishment stitch up since 24th June 2016 (Or in other words. Since they lost)

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Engaging in whataboutery Ringo?

Say it ain't so!

Again, So just to check, all of you who voted Brexit are happy that the campaigns that backed your views broke the law?

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:19 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:nope.

not all brexiteers are the same, just as not all remainers are the same.

i appreciate something not being black and white will be hard for you to process though so please do keep regurgitating your tedious copy and paste attempts at insults.
I won't! As long as you stop regurgitating your tedious copy and paste attempts at trying to look intelligent.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 pm

claretandy wrote:Image

Ahem, you first Lancaster Claret!

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 pm

claretandy wrote:Image

The worst thing about this is that they only fined them for not submitting paperwork properly, but still refused to investigate the actual spending. Technically though, you are spot on, they broke the rules, but once again it doesn't matter if it's their side doing it.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Oh look, I've got them all ganging up on me. How will I cope with this?

Again, So just to check, all of you who voted Brexit are happy that the campaigns that backed your views broke the law?

I've even said that I don't think it made enough of a difference to the referendum result to give you a chance to prove you are not completely incapable of admitting something that is clearly wrong.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:24 pm

When I joined this thread I had plenty of remainers prepared to take shots at me, but instead of moaning about it, I tried to debate their points.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Fine, but you just regurting the same stuff that we've been hearing for two years.

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 pm

It is interesting to note that a number of people on here think that democracy is just about who won and who lost. In a democratic society you have a right to continue to voice your objections and oppose any policy that you disagree with. That is the essence of a free and democratic society. Just because one side lost it does not mean, as some suggest, that they should shut up and go away or that they are being undemocratic in continuing to oppose a policy that they do not agree with. If that were the case should we disband the opposition parties after a general election as they were losers and allow the winning party to implement its policies unopposed?

The Brexit vote, near as damn it, split the country in half. 48% of those voting wanted to remain. To call remainers undemocratic for continuing to campaign for what they believe in demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what democracy is all about. If the boot was on the other foot, would Ringo et al have walked uncomplaining into the sunset muttering we lost, we’re over it?
These 5 users liked this post: burnleymik Lancasterclaret quoonbeatz longsidepies JohnMcGreal

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 pm

I have already answered. The police have not yet confirmed they broke the law. The police now have to investigate and if they did then the people responsible should be held to account. That said, if you are asking, indirectly, do I think it's enough to overturn Brexit, my answer if absolutely not.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Cryssys wrote:It is interesting to note that a number of people on here think that democracy is just about who won and who lost. In a democratic society you have a right to continue to voice your objections and oppose any policy that you disagree with. That is the essence of a free and democratic society. Just because one side lost it does not mean, as some suggest, that they should shut up and go away or that they are being undemocratic in continuing to oppose a policy that they do not agree with. If that were the case should we disband the opposition parties after a general election as they were losers and allow the winning party to implement its policies unopposed?

The Brexit vote, near as damn it, split the country in half. 48% of those voting wanted to remain. To call remainers undemocratic for continuing to campaign for what they believe in demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what democracy is all about. If the boot was on the other foot, would Ringo et al have walked uncomplaining into the sunset muttering we lost, we’re over it?
Crysssys - I absolutely agree and I know many leading Brexiteers would keep pushing on if they lost, but that is how democracy works, on majorities. The problem is that what the majority voted for really doesn't look like happening and that is anti-democratic.

I think everyone should have the right to demonstrate, oppose and argue their case, but what is happening here has gone further than that and you must be able to understand the frustration of the Brexiteers too.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm

But you can read the electoral commission report.

They are going to be found guilty.

And its nothing to do with anything like overturning Brexit or not. Its to do with whether you believe in the rule of law, or not?

Otherwise I'm going to have to assume that for you, ringo (no shock) and andy (even less of a shock) that you are happy with it.

last chance , So just to check, all of you who voted Brexit are happy that the campaigns that backed your views broke the law?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm

The problem is that what the majority voted for really doesn't look like happening and that is anti-democratic.
Again, that isn't something that stacks up - we leave the EU on march 29th 2019.

I've seen nothing to suggest that is going to change.

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Whilst the remain side used £9m of tax payers money to produce a leaflet delivered to every household in the uk.....

Will the remain side reimburse the country for this obvious waste of tax payers money?
Last edited by PutTheWheelieBinsOut on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:34 pm

So agree with your exact wording or we don't believe in rule of law? I am just not sure what you are getting at here. I already said if they broke the law those responsible should be punished....

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Check out @MoodNature’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MoodNature/status/1 ... 18880?s=09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Usually Ringo fighting them off

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Good, then that is something we can agree with. Hard to believe but that is all I wanted out of the conversation.

The law was broken, and they will be punished, of course the bloke who received the £675,000 is the worlds most obvious scapegoat, and the investigation will end up with all the names I mentioned on this thread about three pages ago.

Certainly shouldn't re-run the referendum based this (as I've already said) but it puts a huge question mark on the reliability of all those on that list to govern or even be MPs surely?

(I appreciate that there is a fair amount of speculation involved in this, but the paper trail is pretty clear)

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:44 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:If you really believe it is a risk for ordinary people you need to look more closely at stagnating GDP per capita (or real terms wages / disposable income after housing costs) over the last 10 years since mass migration started. Looking at it more closely broken down by sector is even more revealing. Then look at equivalent figures for other major world nations during this (supposed) boom.
It's 10 years since the biggest economic crisis since the 1920's, and 8 years since the UK embarked on a pretty disastrous 'austerity' mission, first under a coalition government, and then under a Conservative government.

The results are there for all to see. During that time, the wealth of the top 1% increased quicker than at any point since Victorian times. Living standards for everyone else were reduced thanks to stagnating wages and relatively high inflation. As an economic policy (devised and implemented by the UK government) it failed.

This is simply another case of blaming a self-made, domestic problem on immigrants and/or the EU.
These 5 users liked this post: quoonbeatz Lancasterclaret mkmel Greenmile AndrewJB

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:45 pm

And I do owe you an apology Burnleymik

I shouldn't have fixated on the date of your registration on here and I fully understand how important a topic this can be.

Apologies again.
These 2 users liked this post: Caballo burnleymik

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Check out @MoodNature’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MoodNature/status/1 ... 18880?s=09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Usually Ringo fighting them off
hahaha Brilliant.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:And I do owe you an apology Burnleymik

I shouldn't have fixated on the date of your registration on here and I fully understand how important a topic this can be.

Apologies again.
Apology excepted and likewise for some pretty low replies from me. It's a very emotive discussion and easy to see why people get highly charged over it. No hard feelings my end mate.
Last edited by burnleymik on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Caballo

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:47 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:I won't! As long as you stop regurgitating your tedious copy and paste attempts at trying to look intelligent.
good grief, this is so weak.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:It's 10 years since the biggest economic crisis since the 1920's, and 8 years since the UK embarked on a pretty disastrous 'austerity' mission, first under a coalition government, and then under a Conservative government.

The results are there for all to see. During that time, the wealth of the top 1% increased quicker than at any point since Victorian times. Living standards for everyone else were reduced thanks to stagnating wages and relatively high inflation. As an economic policy (devised and implemented by the UK government) it failed.

This is simply another case of blaming a self-made, domestic problem on immigrants and/or the EU.
It's also the speed in which the migration has occurred and how quickly the EU has developed from a supposed trading bloc, into this huge political behemoth. The EU is about big business and protectionism and is surely more beneficial for the top 1%, as it's far easier and less costly to control the single entity of the EU, than individual nation states?

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 pm

If it be your will wrote:A superior version of voting though it clearly is, I'm no longer certain the electorate is ready for AV voting. I can see how it lost in the 2011 AV referendum now, whereas at the time I just couldn't understand it.
It's a very similar process to how the London Mayoral elections are run and people don't seem to find that too complicated (although it did elect Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson!).

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 pm

This is the Kid who is taking the fall, he has an interesting perspective on it all...
image.png
image.png (116.66 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:Who feeds you this crap.
You don't need an empire to create trade deals. Countries a lot, lot smaller than us trade with the rest of the world successfully, and they have none of our infrastructure or experience.
As for India demanding free movement................
They're pretty keen on it http://www.businessinsider.com/britain- ... ?r=UK&IR=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Cryssys wrote:It is interesting to note that a number of people on here think that democracy is just about who won and who lost. In a democratic society you have a right to continue to voice your objections and oppose any policy that you disagree with. That is the essence of a free and democratic society. Just because one side lost it does not mean, as some suggest, that they should shut up and go away or that they are being undemocratic in continuing to oppose a policy that they do not agree with. If that were the case should we disband the opposition parties after a general election as they were losers and allow the winning party to implement its policies unopposed?

That's how things get decided ultimately, by a majority. With any decisions that remain fixed they has to be a end game. Everybody yes EVERYBODY who decided to vote did so for a reason assuming whatever the outcome would be fixed. Democracy isn't based on a sliding scale we are not choosing whether to buy Warburtons bread or hovis, this is at an entirely different level. Had remain won it would have been a closed book for me.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:13 pm

It's a good job there's nothing going on at the moment that needs attending to https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44853464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although this could set the cat among the pigeons https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -amendment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Spijed wrote:So what happens to those who do lose out, especially those who rely on the EU for trade?

How can they be helped going forward, or is it just a case of "Sod them"?

That seems to be the utterly selfish attitude of those who just want to be out of the EU.

The attitude of JRM, Boris, Liam Fox has been exactly that!
No I don't believe it has been that. That would only be the case if they believed as you presumably do, that 100s of thousands of people are about to lose their jobs. They don't believe it, I don't believe it.
People get laid off every week in many businesses for many different reasons. I've had it happen to me, and it isn't nice, but you don't make long term changes based on the short term problems of comparatively few people.
Near everybody has had to find a new job at sometime in their lives, some even new careers. The same would happen to people even if we had voted to remain in the EU. Would you blame their job loss on voting remain, of course not.

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:32 pm

aggi wrote:It's a good job there's nothing going on at the moment that needs attending to https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44853464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely agree. The rumour is the Whip has done this deliberately to try and stop a challenge to Theresa May's leadership.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:04 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:If you really believe it is a risk for ordinary people you need to look more closely at stagnating GDP per capita (or real terms wages / disposable income after housing costs) over the last 10 years since mass migration started.
Yep. Nothing to do with the Global Financial Crisis, or years of Tory austerity. It’s all the fault of those damn immigrants.

Why punch up when it’s so much easier to punch down, eh Crosspool?

Edit to add - I’m fairly sure there was mass migration prior to 2008. I vaguely remember the Daily Mail editorial “what have the Huguenots ever done for us?”

burnleymik

Post by burnleymik » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Greenmile wrote:Yep. Nothing to do with the Global Financial Crisis, or years of Tory austerity. It’s all the fault of those damn immigrants.

Why punch up when it’s so much easier to punch down, eh Crosspool?

Edit to add - I’m fairly sure there was mass migration prior to 2008. I vaguely remember the Daily Mail editorial “what have the Huguenots ever done for us?”

This was the problem, maybe if the remain campaign and the left of the spectrum had allowed time to sit down and spend time trying to show some positives of open door immigration, debating the subject and understanding that austerity also played a part then who know what the outcome would have been, instead every time the working classes raised the issues of immigration they were screamed down as racist, xenophobes, bigots, uneducated etc. And to be honest it's still the same to this day.

The fact is austerity and open door policies cannot work together and seeing as though the country has no money (remember the Labour note?), there was only one way of easing that burden....

Cryssys
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Cryssys » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:That's how things get decided ultimately, by a majority. With any decisions that remain fixed they has to be a end game. Everybody yes EVERYBODY who decided to vote did so for a reason assuming whatever the outcome would be fixed. Democracy isn't based on a sliding scale we are not choosing whether to buy Warburtons bread or hovis, this is at an entirely different level. Had remain won it would have been a closed book for me.

Winning a majority gives you the right to try and enact the policies identified in your manifesto. It does not necessarily follow that those policies will be enacted or that they will be enacted in exactly the way you intended or expected.

If you have a large majority and all your supporters agree with each other then it’s likely that your policies will become law no matter how hard the opposition works to prevent it. Conversely, if you have a small majority, divided supporters and well organised opposition then you are going to struggle. This is exactly the situation we find ourselves in.

What we have is a country and a government that are split down the middle. Those who oppose Brexit, like the opposition in any Parliament, are simply exercising their democratic right to continue to voice their opinions and to seek to change that policy. The fact that Brexiters have a very slender majority, are a shambles and can’t agree amongst themselves is not the fault of Remainers.

Remainers are not being undemocratic. That crown belongs to those (Brexiters) who think that remain voters should just shut up and go away.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret longsidepies

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 pm

You're not taking the hint then.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:46 pm

martin_p wrote:So by my reckoning that’s five pro-EU and five not (I assume they’re not as they’ve not been marked pro-EU). Seems pretty balanced to me.
Have another look at the picture Martin, there are 6 pro-EU and 4 not. Not pretty balanced then.