Possible General Election who would you vote for

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
COYC73
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Re: Possible General Election who would you vote for

Post by COYC73 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:46 am

I'd vote to keep Corbyn out! If Corbyn got in we'd be going from bad to catastrophic....!!!

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:49 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:So Farage is coming back?

UKIP current leader, whatisname happy about that?
Gerard Batten is Interim leader and is stepping down in March 2019.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4256 times

Post by Greenmile » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:If being married to a black bloke won't convince you he's not racist or homophobic then please tell us what would convince you...
Simple. He’d have to (genuinely) recant all of his racist and homophobic opinions.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 am

starting_11 wrote:Project reality more like.

The tories in this country are far more left than you'll ever know. Probably far more left than Tony Bliar.

I think you need a dose of reality to see what "right wing" truly is.
:roll:
4/10 cast

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 am

Just went to look at Labour’s spending record in 2000 we had a budget surplus of around £20 billion the national debt was reduced to around 32% of GDP. We had a UK Govt spend of around £340 billion and the personal allowance was £4385 with a 22p basic rate of tax. By 2010 we had a £100 billion budget deficit based on a U.K. govt spend of around £673 billion with the National debt around 72% of GDP and the personal allowance at £6,475.
Yes the financial crisis cumulated to U.K. tax revenues falling but Brown and Darling factored in those tax takes when setting spending, HBOS alone contributed around £10 Billion. It a bit like Ridsdale at Leeds basing his spending around 5 years of Champions league receipts. The deregulation of the banking industry in the noughties skewered the economy too much towards the finance sector. What I will commend Labour on is that they used a lot of the tax receipts to repair crumbling schools and hospitals.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:28 pm

Guich wrote:The Labour party has changed beyond recognition Houseboy.

I don't know which party despises the working class the most
I agree but under Corbyn it at least makes it more the party I supported when I was younger, whether that makes it more electable is another matter. I certainly wouldn't mind being governed by it but unfortunately the media and the Tory smear campaigns have made Corbyn something of a demon, which I don't believe him to be. Whatever happens in the coming months one thing is for sure, we currently have no government to speak of. I cannot recall in my life ever having such a non-government as we currently have, to describe them as a shambles is actually a compliment.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Dy1geo wrote:Just went to look at Labour’s spending record in 2000 we had a budget surplus of around £20 billion the national debt was reduced to around 32% of GDP. We had a UK Govt spend of around £340 billion and the personal allowance was £4385 with a 22p basic rate of tax. By 2010 we had a £100 billion budget deficit based on a U.K. govt spend of around £673 billion with the National debt around 72% of GDP and the personal allowance at £6,475.
Yes the financial crisis cumulated to U.K. tax revenues falling but Brown and Darling factored in those tax takes when setting spending, HBOS alone contributed around £10 Billion. It a bit like Ridsdale at Leeds basing his spending around 5 years of Champions league receipts. The deregulation of the banking industry in the noughties skewered the economy too much towards the finance sector. What I will commend Labour on is that they used a lot of the tax receipts to repair crumbling schools and hospitals.
When Labour was voted into Office in 1997, they'd pledged to operate within the Conservative's spending plans for the first two/three years which accounted for the surplus...
Once their feet were under the table, they reverted to type and the monetary incontinence started together with Cabinet Ministers of very poor ability unable to run their departments. Tom Bower's book " Broken Vows " about Blair's Premiership outlines this in all it's gory detail....
If only the Tax receipts had been used to repair and replace schools and hospitals......the majority of this was achieved through PFI finance, which included locally, the now closed College on Trafalgar, the shortly to close Hameldon Community College ( the new school built where St. Hilda's was ), and the new Fire Station, all of which we'll still be paying for for years to come....

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

What is frightening is that if mad Mayhem and calamity Corbyn both decided to stand down tomorrow,who the hell would replace them,both the cabinet and shadow cabinet are bare of talent.Unless some people emerge from the backbenches ASAP that can command the respect of joe public we're screwed. :(

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 pm

As a teacher the only party who will promote state education and keep me in a job is Labour.I dont like Corbyn but we can ditch him once we are back in power

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:As a teacher the only party who will promote state education and keep me in a job is Labour.I dont like Corbyn but we can ditch him once we are back in power
I think I read about people saying that back in the early 1930s.
You're right though - to the extent that if Labour manage to get into power, (most likely via a coalition) then Corbyn won't be able to dictate policy. There are far too many - even in his own party - who would exercise a moderating influence. (And yes I know that's what the Democrats thought in Germany in the 30s too, but there's no chance of Corbyn getting an Enabling Act through Parliament and the courts, and our democratic system doesn't allow him to become Head of State as President.)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Labour rebuild hospitals and schools and invested heavily in railways and roads. They also looked to support the vulnerable.

The world financial crash, caused by Bush and corrupt US bankers, resulted in years of Tories and crumbling services for the people, while the rich somehow are able exploit our new vulnerability.

Tories have had horrendous leaders for years. This lot are the worst ever..the previous lot, 2nd worst.

Corbyn - not my idea of a leader. I will continue to vote Labour, ad there is not an SNP candidate in Salisbury!

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:00 pm

IanMcL wrote: Tories have had horrendous leaders for years. This lot are the worst ever..the previous lot, 2nd worst.
Sorry, wrong.
The previous lot were the worst ever. Cameron is entirely responsible for the current mess.
I've no time for May and the way she has gone about it, but it has to be said that allowing the people to vote for something that was never going to be deliverable was reckless on the part of a PM, who had already shown a propensity for rash, arrogant, opportunism.
Once the result of the referendum was out, Cameron and his cronies jumped ship, and no one on the "winning side" had the courage to to step up and put forward a vision or blueprint for the future "outside" the EU.
They are all cowards.
May was also an opportunist, (in addition to being incompetent and talentless) so she deserves all the problems that she has inherited. But let's be clear, Cameron almost caused the break-up of the UK with a badly run campaign in the Scottish referendum. He won this on the basis of a promise that he couldn't keep (i.e. keeping Scotland in the EU). He then decided to risk breaking up the entire UK, and / or having a hard border in Ireland by holding an EU referendum that he was arrogant enough to assume that he would win easily.
This user liked this post: tiger76

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Nil desperandum....you may well be right, on reflection.
They are still the worst 2 governments and leaders ever.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2249 times

Post by mkmel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:42 am

COYC73 wrote:I'd vote to keep Corbyn out! If Corbyn got in we'd be going from bad to catastrophic....!!!

I think you mean catastrophic to bad