Are We Actually Going to Sign Anyone?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Re: Are We Actually Going to Sign Anyone?

Post by Shore claret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:39 pm

He's only worth what a club is willing to pay for him. West brom seem to be a club that sets a price and then doesn't really shift.

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Heard Garlick spoke to Jay Rod and told him the deal would need to get done sometime in the next 5 weeks. Jay Rod was disappointed with the lack of urgency and how little we really seemed to want him. Wanted to get things sorted quick so he could move family back etc. Was the opposite to how West Bromwich treated him when they signed him apparently. Hope we have not blown it.

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Maybe Southampton are an easier club to deal with, seem to remember that all parties wanted the deal to go through so why would there be any hold ups.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 pm

I would have thought the man who Rodriguez would want to make him feel wanted was Dyche, not Garlick. Im not sure the money man is the one whose approach Jay would care about.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:58 pm

Flat Stanley wrote:Heard Garlick spoke to Jay Rod and told him the deal would need to get done sometime in the next 5 weeks. Jay Rod was disappointed with the lack of urgency and how little we really seemed to want him. Wanted to get things sorted quick so he could move family back etc. Was the opposite to how West Bromwich treated him when they signed him apparently. Hope we have not blown it.
Why should we urgently try and sign him?

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:02 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Why should we urgently try and sign him?
Do you read what you write or engage your brain before commenting. Why would a club not want to do its business early. Sure Dyche would rather have the players through the door before the friendlies started
These 2 users liked this post: ebby Dazzler

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:27 pm

boatshed bill wrote:No, I called him for what I considered rude to me personally, refence: too much beer etc.
I said ‘perhaps the weather, too much beer and World Cup mania had gone to your head’, not ‘you must be p!ssed’. If you consider that to be rude I’ll remember to post with kid gloves when responding to posters that may have such a delicate disposition. Apologies for upsetting you. :roll:

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Do you read what you write or engage your brain before commenting. Why would a club not want to do its business early. Sure Dyche would rather have the players through the door before the friendlies started
Do you? Let me get this straight; when Tarkowski moves on, you are saying that we should let the side buying him get their business done early rather than wait until we get someone in to replace him?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:36 pm

BennyD wrote:I said ‘perhaps the weather, too much beer and World Cup mania had gone to your head’, not ‘you must be p!ssed’. If you consider that to be rude I’ll remember to post with kid gloves when responding to posters that may have such a delicate disposition. Apologies for upsetting you. :roll:
I am very careful when posting to ensure that I neither offend or agrevate other posters, i try to set a high standard for myself. You don't need to post with "kid gloves", and i am not in the least delicate in any way.
I do, however, think that medical advice such as "give your head a wobble...." is uncalled for.

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Some times I think we don't follow the same team . :mrgreen:

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:58 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Do you read what you write or engage your brain before commenting. Why would a club not want to do its business early. Sure Dyche would rather have the players through the door before the friendlies started
Aww did you froth at the mouth before you typed that baby? Cheer up its a website with words on it.

My point was, why is it so important to him that we "urgently" sign him. Xxxx

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Flat Stanley wrote:Heard Garlick spoke to Jay Rod and told him the deal would need to get done sometime in the next 5 weeks. Jay Rod was disappointed with the lack of urgency and how little we really seemed to want him. Wanted to get things sorted quick so he could move family back etc. Was the opposite to how West Bromwich treated him when they signed him apparently. Hope we have not blown it.
Every coin has two sides. I think we went in early with a very fair price and we have shown a lot of commitment to getting a deal done by hanging in there for far longer than we probably should have done.

You could say that we haven't demonstrated a sense of reckless urgency, because we have held firm and refused to bend ourselves over a barrel and pay an extortionate amount just to get a deal done.

Alternatively, you could say that WBA have been the primary culprits for the delay, because of their reluctance to let him depart for anything other than a highly inflated transfer fee.

They might have made his arrival easy, but they certainly aren't making his departure smooth sailing.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Heading into the last few weeks of any window it is very easy for people to worry about not getting anybody in. I'm happy that the majority of people on this board are showing their patience and not running around like malcontent chickens, squawking about the end of the world. I think it could be down to the fact that we all recognise we have a solid starting 11 and for the first time in a very long while some real quality in depth.

Even if we don't bring in any additional players the outcome won't signal a cause for catastrophic alarm, although we rode our luck a little in terms of centre back depth last season and facing the prospect of doing that again is worrying.

The same could be said for the number 10 role. If we experience any hiccups with Jeff who do we have that could do the same sort of job, making a contribution to our attack and dropping back to support the midfield and take pressure off the defence?

As we approach deadline day things can get more difficult instead of easier. If we buy a player in the last few weeks of the window, and the selling team hasn't already brought in a fitting replacement, the time frame to source and sign a replacement is getting very tight for them. That can push up the price and make it more difficult to get a deal done. It could make it impossible in some cases.

I don't think it was a bad idea to target Dawson and Jay at the outset of the window. In the belief that a relegated team would jump at the chance to sell them early in the window for a respectable fee, without much fuss. However, when it became evident this wasn't going to happen we should have re-evaluated our strategy for this window.

The only club that could be considered easy to deal with at this moment in the window is Aston Villa, because they are living in a world of ongoing financial pain. In terms of individual players it would be clubs that have amassed a surfeit of players in one of the positions we might be looking to fill, but only if they have a quality candidate amongst them - like left wingers at Hoffenheim with Zuber or possibly Ochs as a cheapish punt for the future being of interest.

A stubborn and determined attitude pays dividends in some situations, but flexibility is rewarded in others. Flexibility in this particular scenario could mean stepping outside of a recruitment strategy that has worked very well for us. Paying way over the odds to bring in one or two players, who are probably going to depreciate in value, would represent a big departure for me. More importantly they aren't being brought in to fill essential first team slots. Unless Mee leaves they will only add depth.

The other viable avenue of flexibility would have been to move on to some of the other targets on our list. And if we don't or didn't have a respectably long list of targets at the outset of this window then someone deserves a major ass whipping. Transfer windows are unpredictable vortexes of changing circumstances. Opportunities can flicker in and out of existence in the blink of an eye. Any club that bases its planning around the resolution of an ideal scenario is planning to fail, because the transfer battle ground is ever changing and fraught with costly dead ends.

The start of this window saw us in a place of golden opportunity, cash in the bank, plaudits for our playing style and team ethos, a new training centre, seventh place in the league, qualification for Europe and a solid management structure in every area of the club. While those factors certainly don't guarantee that everything will go our way I expected us to have a slightly easier time of it in this window and a wider selection pool of players to pick from.

We have a culture of dogged determinism at Burnley and it is serving us very well on the training pitch and in our match day performances. However, it is potentially the wrong strategy to employ for transfer window success, because it can revert to an all or nothing outcome very easily. The other alternative is bringing in unsuitable players as a consequence of panic buying, which is even worse.

In my own opinion we should have moved swiftly on from Dawson and Jay at the beginning of last month and while that might be the case behind the scenes I would have expected to see some signs of such a development surfacing by now.

I'm inclined to think that we put all our eggs in a WBA shaped basket for this window and that could prove to be costly in one way or another. We might benefit from tweaking our general transfer strategy after this window.
This user liked this post: lrac

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:35 am

NRC wrote:that's because Blind is a midfielder that Manyoo converted to a defender. it's akin to Tarks being touted by one individual for midfield, or indeed judging Jeff for his performances as a number 10
That’s a fair point
Although the point I was replying to was making a comparison to Blind and Dawson, so in my defence, the link for comparison was made there. Suggesting we’d be signing Blind as a ball playing defender?