Airbeam tents

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Airbeam tents

Post by Damo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 am

Has anyone got one of these?
I'm looking for advice before spending 1500 quid on one.
Obviously they are quicker and easier to erect but is there any issues with the airbeam itself? Rupturing etc? Also heard reports of them exploding in the heat.
The salesman says he's never heard of anything like that but then he would wouldn't he?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Re: Airbeam tents

Post by clarethomer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 am

I have one - used it once so far. Was easy to put up - no issues etc.

I keep intending to go camping again but the problem I have is the tent is too bloody big to pack in my new car.. Do you want a cheaper one? :D
These 3 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Damo IanMcL

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:20 am

clarethomer wrote:I have one - used it once so far. Was easy to put up - no issues etc.

I keep intending to go camping again but the problem I have is the tent is too bloody big to pack in my new car.. Do you want a cheaper one? :D
:lol:
It's my Mrs who is twisting my arm into upgrading.
I have an old Jack Wolfskin 4 man thing that I use but it's not big enough for family camping.
I'm still concerned about getting enough use for the investment.
What have you got and what are you looking for for it?

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:23 am

We have an Airbeam. It’s really good. I have to say we e had no explosive problems with it. One of the beams did get a slow puncture, but it was easily mined in situ.
They are a big ind heavy thing, mind. But their benefits completely outweigh the problems.
This user liked this post: Damo

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:26 am

Lord Beamish wrote:We have an Airbeam. It’s really good. I have to say we e had no explosive problems with it. One of the beams did get a slow puncture, but it was easily mined in situ.
They are a big ind heavy thing, mind. But their benefits completely outweigh the problems.
The one we are looking at has a lifetime guarantee on the airbeam. Punctures are fine if you can lend them on site I suppose. Thanks

Stickers
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Stickers » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:27 am

I have experience of large air beams some good some bad

Pros
Fantastically easy to put up no fighting with conventional poles. And easily done by one person makes going away for one or two nights so much less of a chore when it comes to packing away, unscrew the valves and watch it collapse.

Against
That felling you get of not being completely confident of your tent being still standing when you return to the campsite after a day out. When Airbeams first came to the market there were a few story’s of the beams popping but I have never had or witnessed any, that said we found that after leaving camp for a day in the rain on returning to our tent in the evening rain water had started to pool on the roof (our pitch was unlevel ground making it hard for the tent to sit properly) once water starts to pool it’s a slippery slope as it will eventually get to the point where the weight of water will flatten the entire tent if not pushed off. (I have a photo of this but not sure I know how to upload it but will try) Also in very high winds you do find the beams can bend inwards and flex with the wind unlike steel framed tents.

I loved our air beam tent but did find myself buying a steel framed poly cotton tent for longer trips (I used to be a bit of a tent junkie)
Misses says I’ve got to sell my tents as there just taking up space since camper van your welcome to borrow it for a couple of days to see how you get on £100 airbeam £150 poly cotton both six man with lounge area

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 am

Damo wrote::lol:
It's my Mrs who is twisting my arm into upgrading.
I have an old Jack Wolfskin 4 man thing that I use but it's not big enough for family camping.
I'm still concerned about getting enough use for the investment.
What have you got and what are you looking for for it?
I will have to look later but its a Vango 2 bedroom tent - think it sleeps 5 from memory - looking at the prices for £1500 you are likely looking at a bigger tent?

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/39-vango-air ... erson_tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 am

I got one last week

....I'm presently flying over the Cotswolds! :D
These 2 users liked this post: Damo BleedingClaret

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Stickers wrote:I have experience of large air beams some good some bad

Pros
Fantastically easy to put up no fighting with conventional poles. And easily done by one person makes going away for one or two nights so much less of a chore when it comes to packing away, unscrew the valves and watch it collapse.

Against
That felling you get of not being completely confident of your tent being still standing when you return to the campsite after a day out. When Airbeams first came to the market there were a few story’s of the beams popping but I have never had or witnessed any, that said we found that after leaving camp for a day in the rain on returning to our tent in the evening rain water had started to pool on the roof (our pitch was unlevel ground making it hard for the tent to sit properly) once water starts to pool it’s a slippery slope as it will eventually get to the point where the weight of water will flatten the entire tent if not pushed off. (I have a photo of this but not sure I know how to upload it but will try) Also in very high winds you do find the beams can bend inwards and flex with the wind unlike steel framed tents.

I loved our air beam tent but did find myself buying a steel framed poly cotton tent for longer trips (I used to be a bit of a tent junkie)
Misses says I’ve got to sell my tents as there just taking up space since camper van your welcome to borrow it for a couple of days to see how you get on £100 airbeam £150 poly cotton both six man with lounge area
Thank you
Deffo interested in buying.
Could you drop me an email please
damobeef.dw@gmail.com

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:47 pm

clarethomer wrote:I will have to look later but its a Vango 2 bedroom tent - think it sleeps 5 from memory - looking at the prices for £1500 you are likely looking at a bigger tent?

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/39-vango-air ... erson_tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The one we are looking to purchase is 6 man. I think it was about 1350 to be honest but we were looking to buy the rug with at 159

johnalexander
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by johnalexander » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi,
We have had a Vango Evoque 400 for 5 years. We have had 3 major camps (7+ weeks each time) over that time and it has never let us down.
We camped in Corsica, Sardinia, Italy, France, Spain, Austria and of course the UK.
We drive all the way round Europe and have a top box and a cycle carrier on the rear. It all amazingly goes into our Honda CRV.
Just back from 8 weeks in Spain and we had one issue on the first camp when the air beam developed "wobbly legs". However, we think we put the tent up incorrectly, as when we moved on no issues recurred.
Go to Winfields Haslingden where they have a number on display.
Thoroughly recommend air beams.

Chuckypad
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Chuckypad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:39 pm

£1500 for a tent??????
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL BFCmaj

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Chuckypad wrote:£1500 for a tent??????
I know, it’s madness; you can have 5-6 nights in a really good hotel for that. :lol:

Stickers

Post by Stickers » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Email sent :D

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Damo wrote:Has anyone got one of these?
I'm looking for advice before spending 1500 quid on one.
Obviously they are quicker and easier to erect but is there any issues with the airbeam itself? Rupturing etc? Also heard reports of them exploding in the heat.
The salesman says he's never heard of anything like that but then he would wouldn't he?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks

Get an A-frame you pampered prick :P

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Get an A-frame you pampered prick :P
:lol:
I have one.
It's not good enough for her indoors apparently

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:16 pm

I am currently sat outside my Keswick airbeam 600dlx.

First time we have used it properly. Itsunami a belter of a tent tbh. We have had it 6 months I reckon but only just had chance to get it used.
It's 6 man. 2 bedo great living space in middle. And utility is spacious.
Very easy to erect, especially if you get the footprint.

Got the carpet to and came with a free matching wind brake. Windfields said they were exclusive to them for sale (think we paid just over a grand with carpet and footprint )
You could get it from vango at around 1500 iirc.

Would send pics if I had any idea.

KLClaret
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by KLClaret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Well, if a tsunami won't shift it it's a good un
This user liked this post: IanMcL

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Get an Oztent. erects in 30secs by 1 person. Ideal in all weathers and vitually indistructable.
You can also extend and add additions to it via its zip system.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8737 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:00 pm

The problem with camping - is other people.

About 10 years ago we borrowed a tent from some friends of ours and went camping for the weekend. We only lasted one night. Got to the campsite, put the tent up and went for a walk. By the time we got back the campsite was fairly rammed. One family had already settled in - crap boy band music blasting out from a ghetto blaster while they sloshed cheap wine down their necks - it was only 2 in the afternoon and they were already pretty hammered. Another family had brought a telly with them that was running off a mini generator, pop, pop, pop. A group of middle aged women were more p1ssed up than the Wine Family, screaming and shouting at each other along with exaggerated laughter. We stayed around for a couple of hours then headed off into the village for a meal. By the time we got back nearly every adult was stagger drunk and loud with it. The noise went on into the wee small hours of the morning. I think we managed about 2 hours sleep. We packed up at 7am and went home.

Maybe it was us and not them. Maybe we should have treated the whole weekend as a massive p1ss up in the countryside. Thing is, I can do that in our own back garden and have the luxury of sleeping it off in our own comfy bed.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8737 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:The problem with camping - is other people.

About 10 years ago we borrowed a tent from some friends of ours and went camping for the weekend. We only lasted one night. Got to the campsite, put the tent up and went for a walk. By the time we got back the campsite was fairly rammed. One family had already settled in - crap boy band music blasting out from a ghetto blaster while they sloshed cheap wine down their necks - it was only 2 in the afternoon and they were already pretty hammered. Another family had brought a telly with them that was running off a mini generator, pop, pop, pop. A group of middle aged women were more p1ssed up than the Wine Family, screaming and shouting at each other along with exaggerated laughter. We stayed around for a couple of hours then headed off into the village for a meal. By the time we got back nearly every adult was stagger drunk and loud with it. The noise went on into the wee small hours of the morning. I think we managed about 2 hours sleep. We packed up at 7am and went home.

Maybe it was us and not them. Maybe we should have treated the whole weekend as a massive p1ss up in the countryside. Thing is, I can do that in our own back garden and have the luxury of sleeping it off in our own comfy bed.
Shouldn't try and go camping in Blackpool! :o

Perhaps there are different types of campsite, which attract well behaved folk.

Used to camp with my mum and dad, in Europe, growing up. All very well behaved.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Got a couple of friends who have the Berghaus air beems, 1 with the 8 man and 1 with the 10 man. Been using them for a couple of years and they are fine.

I got a Vango 2 bedroom one and used it a few times- it’s been fantastic too.

I’d suggest the Berghaus ones are better and also more expensive, maim benefit is they are really dark inside.

Register for emails from Millets, they seem to have an online sale every 2 weeks with at least 20% off, then go through Quidco to their site.

Shouldn’t need to spend more than £800

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Also worth checking the campsites out in advance, I use this site which has reviews similar to Tripadvisor. Usually get a feel of the people that tend to stay onsite
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Stickers wrote:I have experience of large air beams some good some bad

Pros

Against

If this hasn’t sold, then I’m definitely interested

Stickers

Post by Stickers » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Sorry mate the Airbeam has gone still got the Polycotton
https://www.obelink.co.uk/obelink-familia-6.html

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Stickers wrote:Sorry mate the Airbeam has gone still got the Polycotton
https://www.obelink.co.uk/obelink-familia-6.html
Cheers Stickers.
Just had it out in the garden.
You have saved me an arm and a leg there as well as the great advice.
Thanks very much mate. Top bloke

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Received an email today from Millers with a big half. Price sale on all camping gear.

Enjoy