Eng vs Bel

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Re: Eng vs Bel

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:38 pm

I knew we were in for a difficult 90 m9nites as soon az I saw Jones in rhe tunnel (hadn't seen the line up before the game).

Awful first half but much better second (once we had Rashford and Lingard helping link the midefield better and moving off the ball).

Kane very poor again. I thought he'd really improved iver thd last 2 years and was ready to step up internatipnally but like Lukaku he seems to have struggled against the best. I hope he had been fatigued or injured since Columbia because weve been playing with 10.5 men since then. Goals should give strikers confidence- he is really struggling at the moment.

Still plenty of positives if Southgate learns (arguably rolling out Jones for a game like this after his shocker in the group stage is a worry - whats wrong with Cahill) and builds.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Babylon, you mention Kane and the Colombia game, but to be honest, I don't think he's looked that great in any game this world cup. I know he got the goals against Panama, but he still looks a yard short. For sure, he played better for Spurs during the season - a lot better, than he's done for England this tournament and even the friendly he featured in prior to the World Cup - I don't think he looked right, then.

He just looked like the Premier League season had totally knackered him out. He'll still get the golden boot, which says a lot really, as you can be given penalties and just as easily miss them. But all I can think of is that last season's Premier League took it out of him as he always looked to be running on empty in all the games, really.

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 pm

KRBFC wrote:I find International football boring, slow paced and defensive. Makes for a poor spectacle as a neutral, I don't know why it's bizarre that I prefer club football.
I haven't seen a better game than Brazil v Belgium for a long time. If you couldn't enjoy that then football isn't for you
These 2 users liked this post: DustyBawls tiger76

Japebe43
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Japebe43 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 pm

In most cases, its fans who's club side isn't very good that are more passionate about england..

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Japebe43 wrote:In most cases, its fans who's club side isn't very good that are more passionate about england..
Please can you stop making random things up. It's weird.

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:58 pm

DustyBawls wrote:Please can you stop making random things up. It's weird.
Sorry.. IMO!

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 pm

It doesn't make sense though and is obviously wrong. The entire country have been supporting England and the number of Man United, Chelsea, Spurs fans et al has been big. There's nothing at all to suggest small clubs fans are supporting them more - in fact, it's the opposite! But how can anybody have an opinion on that? There's no evidence at all to suggest fansy of clubs who aren't very good are the majority of England fans.

It's something you've just randomly made up in the last 15 minutes and decided to post. Why?

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:11 pm

DustyBawls wrote:It doesn't make sense though and is obviously wrong. The entire country have been supporting England and the number of Man United, Chelsea, Spurs fans et al has been big. There's nothing at all to suggest small clubs fans are supporting them more - in fact, it's the opposite! But how can anybody have an opinion on that? There's no evidence at all to suggest fansy of clubs who aren't very good are the majority of England fans.

It's something you've just randomly made up in the last 15 minutes and decided to post. Why?
Its an opinion I've held for a very long time. I've posted it on here in the past.. Probably as far back as on footymad too.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Japebe43 wrote:Its an opinion I've held for a very long time. I've posted it on here in the past.. Probably as far back as on footymad too.
What made you come up with that opinion? There doesn't appear to be any backing for it, to suggest it's not random.

It makes more sense to expect Spurs to be the most interested fans as they have so many of their players in the World Cup and playing for England.

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm

DustyBawls wrote:What made you come up with that opinion? There doesn't appear to be any backing for it, to suggest it's not random.

It makes more sense to expect Spurs to be the most interested fans as they have so many of their players in the World Cup and playing for England.
Check out the flags at england games.. Exeter, Plymouth, Walsall etc..

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Japebe43 wrote:Check out the flags at england games.. Exeter, Plymouth, Walsall etc..
And that's what you're basing it off?

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:19 pm

DustyBawls wrote:And that's what you're basing it off?
In part..

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:22 pm

He/she might have a point...
690132-700x506.png
690132-700x506.png (460.02 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
UTC!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:24 pm

DustyBawls wrote:What made you come up with that opinion? There doesn't appear to be any backing for it, to suggest it's not random.

More people than you imagine just don't give a flying f**k, regardless of who they support & the players representing they chosen clubs, today was like a raffle nobody (people I know) just couldn't give a rat's a**e even buying a ticket for. Sad but true.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Fans of big clubs don't generally put their England flags up, featuring their clubs. They don't need to bother as they get enough publicity. You get the poor teams from the Championship down, because they don't get much publicity. They don't really come onto Sky's radar, so fans feel proud of supporting a small club. That's why you see flags like that.

Not many people are going to bother with a Man United / England flag, as there's no real pride - as it's too common.

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:29 pm

I really don't believe, for example, many fans of Liverpool were in Russia after the expensive season theyve just had.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm

Spijed wrote:Until we have a decent defence we'll struggle.

Our defenders may be great going forward but if everyone is being honest and realistic then it's fair to say that Trippier, Walker, Maguire and Stones are not particularly good defenders.

Until we stop conceding in the way we do we haven't a chance of proceeding in the world standings.
To be fair Walker, Stones and Maguire have been better than expected. And it is a system that they will improve the more they play it. They missed Henderson defensively today and Jones is just poor.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm

piston broke wrote:To be fair Walker, Stones and Maguire have been better than expected. And it is a system that they will improve the more they play it. They missed Henderson defensively today and Jones is just poor.
Not better with defending though. Even Tunisia caused us problems when they attacked us at the start and end of that match.

I agree with you that Jones is poor, though. Southgate has limited options because Cahill isn't good enough either. I know he once played for us, but no - too slow in getting the ball into midfield and too 1-dimensional.

I don't think Henderson was the missing key, either. I'd sooner have him than Dier but I don't think the difference was significant.

Both goals were down to poor defending and we lacked a cutting edge pass with somebody who could read the game better.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 pm

As we have a thread where people make stuff up, can I suggest that there were lots of man u and Liverpool fans there, but they were wearing yellow shirts as that sort of supporter tends to 'support' man united, Brazil and real Madrid. They also quite like Spain, but not so much at the moment and their favourite Scottish side is Celtic.

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:54 pm

timshorts wrote:As we have a thread where people make stuff up, can I suggest that there were lots of man u and Liverpool fans there, but they were wearing yellow shirts as that sort of supporter tends to 'support' man united, Brazil and real Madrid. They also quite like Spain, but not so much at the moment and their favourite Scottish side is Celtic.
How can you make up an opinion? I've never said its fact.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:38 am

twice beaten by belgium, , looked impotent against croatia, no germans, dutch , italians, argentinians, spanish, portugese to worry about...and somehow w
e are on the right track to win something ahead of some mindless FA schedule. it boils down to 52 years without winning a bloody thing.

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:twice beaten by belgium, , looked impotent against croatia, no germans, dutch , italians, argentinians, spanish, portugese to worry about...and somehow w
e are on the right track to win something ahead of some mindless FA schedule. it boils down to 52 years without winning a bloody thing.
The dutch have had some great sides and players.. Know how many world cups they've won..?

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:44 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:twice beaten by belgium, , looked impotent against croatia, no germans, dutch , italians, argentinians, spanish, portugese to worry about...and somehow w
Furthest in a World Cup we've been in 28 years
We have a player who is going to win the golden boot - first time since Gary
Playing passing football from the back and the best passing football in the last 28 years
Have a young side who will be here for the next 4-6 years at least
Have room for some up and coming players from the under 20s world cup winning side and other players to come into the starting 11 for the Euros.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3802 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:11 am

DustyBawls wrote:Furthest in a World Cup we've been in 28 years
Playing passing football from the back and the best passing football in the last 28 years
Have room for some up and coming players from the under 20s world cup winning side and other players to come into the starting 11 for the Euros.
It would've been catastrophic if we didn't finish at least 4th after finishing 2nd in the group, squeezed through Colombia missing their star player and a horrible Swedish side. The easiest draw I've ever seen and we still scraped through to the semi final.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:28 am

KRBFC wrote:It would've been catastrophic if we didn't finish at least 4th after finishing 2nd in the group, squeezed through Colombia missing their star player and a horrible Swedish side. The easiest draw I've ever seen and we still scraped through to the semi final.
Sweden beat France, Holland, Italy and battered Mexico on the way. And we... well... we beat them.

Admit it - you had no clue about that did you?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3802 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:36 am

DustyBawls wrote:Sweden beat France, Holland, Italy and battered Mexico on the way. And we... well... we beat them.

Admit it - you had no clue about that did you?
They scraped past an Italian side in the playoffs who were all over the place, dressing room rift. They beat France at home with a last minute winner in the qualifiers, a France side that was considerably weaker than the one right now (only 5 of that French side will play the final). Mexico aren't spectacular and probably ran out of gas in the final group game. They got beat off Holland I remember Robben scoring twice then retiring so you had no clue. I actually watched 3 of those games.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:44 am

KRBFC wrote:They scraped past an Italian side in the playoffs who were all over the place, dressing room rift. They beat France at home with a last minute winner in the qualifiers, a France side that was considerably weaker than the one right now (only 5 of that French side will play the final). Mexico aren't spectacular and probably ran out of gas in the final group game. They got beat off Holland I remember Robben scoring twice then retiring so you had no clue. I actually watched 3 of those games.
Nothing you say will make me believe you watched any of those games. I know you didn't watch them.

Mexico actually played very well in that game so I know you never watched that one.

Yet you state you watched all 3 - but I know you didn't. So what's your beef? What's the problem?

watsonsclarets
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by watsonsclarets » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 am

DustyBawls wrote:Furthest in a World Cup we've been in 28 years
Passing football which is impatient and the final 3rd entry is appalling we have a very poor technical side going forward.(As stated on TV we created the 2nd least open play chances behind Iran).

Our Transitions going forward where slow and laborious and our press too deep and the 2nd stage in that press was lacking causing the massive overloads against Croatia outwide. (Alli and Lindgaard)

Belgium press was much deeper at times knowing we are toothless in the final third bar set pieces.

We are a side in transition and the positives where our back 3 passed it well and carried the balls at times without really having the confidence of adding the extra man going forward partly due to the slow nature of the build up.

Positives: A semi-final lets be honest nobody would have bet on that, A template of how we are looking to play. Some players showed they have the quality to play in that formation. Set Plays as good as anybody in the world

Negatives: Slow laborious build-up allowed sides to get back into shape quickly, Lack of change one dimensional,

PS. I'm not pessimistic as a home going England fan I think we are in a good spot and moving forward with quality young players coming through as with most sides we lack that quality in Midfield and a little at the back.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 am

i credit them for a brilliant effort, semi finals is not to be sniffed at, but i dont buy this stuff about progression.
maybe for the 2020 euro's, but by the time qatar comes along anything could happen. england looked unable to run, they were a spent force. For all the talk of massive improvements in training and sports science, it looked like a team of heavy smokers out there in the second half. four yeras later wont improve that.