UEFA Nations League

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

UEFA Nations League

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:28 pm

With the World Cup ending tomorrow, I wonder how seriously England will be taking the UEFA Nations League which starts in September? We play Spain on the 8th September.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: UEFA Nations League

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:05 am

Just renewed my england membership ahead of these. should be bettr than friendlies at least.

Still dont really undeestand the format and how euro2020 comes into it though. Had to have a lie down after reading it.
This user liked this post: DustyBawls

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 am

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As CFS said has to be better than friendlies.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Just renewed my england membership ahead of these. should be bettr than friendlies at least.

Still dont really undeestand the format and how euro2020 comes into it though. Had to have a lie down after reading it.
How much is the membership? Im looking at taking the Mrs and my lads to the Croatia game at Wembley.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:29 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:How much is the membership? Im looking at taking the Mrs and my lads to the Croatia game at Wembley.
The membership is just for away games really. The home games all go on public sale.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:45 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:How much is the membership? Im looking at taking the Mrs and my lads to the Croatia game at Wembley.
If you just want to do home games its probably not worth it. As you will almost always get a home ticket anyway.

But if you want to do away games or tournaments its worth it. Plus you get 5er off every home game. Theyre also doing a discount bundle for croatia and spain.

75 for adults and 35 or 45 for kids. and you get a few other perks.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Fixture dates for this are:

Matchday 1: September 6-9, 2018
Matchday 2: September 9-11, 2018
Matchday 3: October 11-13, 2018
Matchday 4: October 14-16, 2018
Matchday 5: November 15-17, 2018
Matchday 6: November 18-20, 2018
Finals: June 5-9, 2019

And the Euro qualifiers start in March 2019.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Should be an interesting next two years for England. With the semis and final at the Euros being played at Wembley no reason we Can't have a real go at winning it. Hopefully the likes of Sessegnon and Foden can break through and provide some of the flair we're lacking right now.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Looks like in terms of improving teams chances of getting in the 2020 Euros its more a get out of jail free card for the League A teams but should be a real incentive for the League B and C teams where it might become quite competitive

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:20 pm

If you win your mini league do you qualify for 2020 then?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Nope this is my interpretation and it may be wrong and has a few holes for certain scenarios but here goes

Euro qualifiers will have 10 groups of 5 or 6 teams with top 2 going through meaning 20 automatic qualifiers. Rather than 3rd place teams making up play offs now the Nations League will do this.

I believe there are 4 tiers based and ranking (A, B, C & D) with 4 groups of either 3 or 4 teams in each tier meaning 16 groups in total.

The winners of each of the 16 groups will qualify for a playoff spot unless they have already qualified (if they have qualified it will go to the next placed team). The 16 will be split into 4 pots of 4 team (no idea on what basis) and there will be 4 sets of one leg semi finals and four sets of finals. The winning team from each pot will make up the additional 4 teams to qualify and make it 24 in total

Now out of the 12 teams in League A it is likely all 12 will qualify as part of the automatic 20 so will not need to use the Nations League but if a couple slip up then this could be an extra chance. Also because all of other teams should have qualified automatically they should get one of the 16 spots regardless how they do in their mini Nations League group

For the League B teams then its likeley about half will qualify automatically but its a good chance to do well in the Nations League and get into the playoffs

For League C these are unlikely to qualify automatically so coming top of their Nations League group and getting in the play offs is probably their best chance so i reckon this will make this competition more important than the qualifiers.

The League D teams are unlikely to qualify through either route but its a real opportunity for four teams to win their group, make the play offs and be two matches away from qualifying

Thats my reading of it but ive only looked through it once so be may mistaken

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Nope this is my interpretation and it may be wrong and has a few holes for certain scenarios but here goes

Euro qualifiers will have 10 groups of 5 or 6 teams with top 2 going through meaning 20 automatic qualifiers. Rather than 3rd place teams making up play offs now the Nations League will do this.

I believe there are 4 tiers based and ranking (A, B, C & D) with 4 groups of either 3 or 4 teams in each tier meaning 16 groups in total.

The winners of each of the 16 groups will qualify for a playoff spot unless they have already qualified (if they have qualified it will go to the next placed team). The 16 will be split into 4 pots of 4 team (no idea on what basis) and there will be 4 sets of one leg semi finals and four sets of finals. The winning team from each pot will make up the additional 4 teams to qualify and make it 24 in total

Now out of the 12 teams in League A it is likely all 12 will qualify as part of the automatic 20 so will not need to use the Nations League but if a couple slip up then this could be an extra chance. Also because all of other teams should have qualified automatically they should get one of the 16 spots regardless how they do in their mini Nations League group

For the League B teams then its likeley about half will qualify automatically but its a good chance to do well in the Nations League and get into the playoffs

For League C these are unlikely to qualify automatically so coming top of their Nations League group and getting in the play offs is probably their best chance so i reckon this will make this competition more important than the qualifiers.

The League D teams are unlikely to qualify through either route but its a real opportunity for four teams to win their group, make the play offs and be two matches away from qualifying

Thats my reading of it but ive only looked through it once so be may mistaken
Thanks for the effort and detail but.... :shock:

I am as baffled as I was. Im off for a lie down.
This user liked this post: Siddo

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:00 pm

But if any of the teams in League A, effectively the Premier League of the Nations League, do NOT qualify for the Euros within their group, then surely their path to Euro qualifiers through playoffs is tougher? The other leagues, equivalent to our Championship, leagues 1 and 2, have the same play-off privilégiés, but coming out of leagues with weaker teams?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm not sure on this bit and have only looked at it briefly but potentially once the 16 have qualified they might then mix them up and seed them

For example in each pot of four there would be a League A, League B, League C and League D winner which would favour the League A teams not having to play each other.

If on the other hand they keep the leagues split then that guarantees a place for a League D team which seems unlikely but with UEFA I would never discount anything