Most boring transfer window ever

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Most boring transfer window ever

Post by Steddyman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am

I must admit to being utterly bored with this transfer window. After we qualified for Europe I thought we would be really stepping up our game in the transfer market to increase the depth of squad required for a European campaign. Especially given the transfer window will lose much sooner this year.

Unfortunately that has not been the case. It looks like Sean will be treating the European venture with the same lack of interest he shows in domestic cup competitions.

I had expected to be constantly checking this board excited by the latest whispers and all over twitter, but there is just absolutely nothing. Shame.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Re: Most boring transfer window ever

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:55 am

Steddyman wrote:I must admit to being utterly bored with this transfer window. After we qualified for Europe I thought we would be really stepping up our game in the transfer market to increase the depth of squad required for a European campaign. Especially given the transfer window will lose much sooner this year.

Unfortunately that has not been the case. It looks like Sean will be treating the European venture with the same lack of interest he shows in domestic cup competitions.

I had expected to be constantly checking this board excited by the latest whispers and all over twitter, but there is just absolutely nothing. Shame.
That's your problem - you think everything transfer wise revolves around social media and speculation. I'd get out a bit more if I were you.
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish fidelcastro

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 am

ClaretTony wrote:That's your problem - you think everything transfer wise revolves around social media and speculation. I'd get out a bit more if I were you.
I get out plenty. Is it wrong to want to see my team sign new players especially when we have already let some go and will need numbers for Europe?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:16 am

Speculation has been quite limited with us for a number of years. I like a good bit of rumour but it’s not a bad thing, it being limited, more likely it just means that we are trying to keep any deals as quiet as is possible.

He hopes :)

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am

Steddyman wrote:I get out plenty. Is it wrong to want to see my team sign new players especially when we have already let some go and will need numbers for Europe?
No it's not wrong, but you seem to think it is all carried out on social media, that's what's wrong. The whole thing used to be much better, and more fun, than having this tiresome and constant demand for information and speculation.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick evensteadiereddie

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:19 am

I think 2 extra games behind closed doors show how interested he is. If anyone thinks Dyche isn’t taking Europe seriously, they need looking at.
Last edited by Pearcey on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 4 users liked this post: Quicknick simonclaret Top Claret moaninclaret

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:38 am

I've heard from a chap who walks his dog near to Gawthorpe (a park in Sutton Coldfield) that he's been hearing Dyche shouting.... "get me Rodriguez, get me Rodriguez".

It turns out that it's not Jay he wants, but James. Dyche demands that they get Colombian Rodders by the Aberdeen game.

If the board don't get him, then Dyche is leaving to become a worm farmer on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:39 am

I guess the World Cup plays it’s part somewhat in slowing things down but we are not the quickest at the best of times.

We clearly went in quite early for the WBA pair but they are just as stubborn as we are.
If that’s a good thing or a bad thing depends on your own opinion.

I’d be very surprised if Dyche is not taking European football seriously though.
Obviously the priority is Premier League but I think he’ll give it a real go.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:54 am

Win the Europa league and get relegated or survive and win nothing? Isn't football about trying to win things rather than just surviving? I don't want relegation but if the cost of winning a European trophy was that I don't think I would be too bothered, but then unlike many I'm not obsessed by the PL.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:00 am

I don’t many are obsessed with the Premier League.

I’d bet the ones in charge at the club are obsessed with the Premier League money though.

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 am

The team that plays aberdeen wont include any new signings

fact

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 am

our squad is good enough to beat aberdeen. there's no huge rush, as long as we get who we want by the start of the season.

ideal world is you get everyone in for pre-season. hardly ever happens at any club though, in reality.
These 3 users liked this post: simonclaret andyh ecc

simonclaret
Been Liked: 265 times
Has Liked: 3610 times

Post by simonclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 am

Steddyman wrote:latest whispers and all over twitter
You must've noticed that we tend to business differently these days?

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 am

Pope / Heaton

Lowton / Bardsley
Ward / Taylor
Mee / Long
Tarky

Lennon / Walters
Gudmundsson / Brady
Cork / Westwood
Defour / Hendrick

Vokes / Barnes
Wood / Wells

O'Neill / McNeill / Dunne / Agyei

Thats 25 for a kick off. I think we will be making inroads for a centre half and another wide man (to replace Arfield). I'm not sure SD thinks that Marney needs 'replacing' but maybe another central midfielder as well- although Clucas would fit of the bill of replacing Arfield AND Marney.

I think most of us would like an improvement on Wells. But other than that I can't see us going too all out - if the rumours are to be believed as to our preferred targets then J Rod, Dawson and Clucas would seem to fill the gaps and each bring versatility as they can play in more than one position.

I fully expect the likes of O'Neill et al to fill the European benches if and when we make it to the continent.

But I can't imagine much more than that and I, for one, would be happy with the above list with the additions of the likes of J Rod, Dawson and Clucas (or similar).
These 2 users liked this post: simonclaret gawthorpe_view

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 am

I agree it has been very dull so far. We've not had too many exciting links. I enjoy all of the speculation of the transfer windows and us being linked to many players (even if they don't come off). It has been very quiet this time round though that may have been due to the World Cup. However, after we finished 7th in the biggest league in the world, I'm surprised how quiet it has been.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:16 am

I quite enjoy the transfer too actually, I find it very interesting seeing which clubs players get linked to and eventually sign for. But enjoying the transfer window is somehow a dirty phrase on here and any hint of it will be met with the resident bores either quoting the date at you or telling you to get out more.

This board is no longer a place for football discussion sadly.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:17 am

Football discussion yeah

Making up rumours for shits and giggles? Plenty of other sites do that already
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:35 am

ksrclaret wrote:I quite enjoy the transfer too actually, I find it very interesting seeing which clubs players get linked to and eventually sign for. But enjoying the transfer window is somehow a dirty phrase on here and any hint of it will be met with the resident bores either quoting the date at you or telling you to get out more.

Agreed. What else is there interesting to talk about on a football forum other than transfer speculation?

In previous years we haven't signed many players but we've been linked to plenty. This year apart from the Dawson and Rodrigues link, which according to the Birmingham post we are still a million miles away from agreeing terms on, there has been nothing.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:39 am

It's the obvious the three we want. We just want them cheaper than the clubs want to sell them for.

Dyche scouts character as much as playing ability, that's why we are linked with same players window after window.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 am

Quality over quantity isn't such a bad thing.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:48 am

Steddyman wrote:I must admit to being utterly bored with this transfer window. After we qualified for Europe I thought we would be really stepping up our game in the transfer market to increase the depth of squad required for a European campaign. Especially given the transfer window will lose much sooner this year.

to be honest the european venture is only a big deal because we qualified, ordinarily this europa league was looked on with disdain not long ago, it was seen as a competition for those not really good enough, a bit like the domestic cups are thesedays, so maybe sean has a point.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:50 am

Don’t necessarily agree with the OP, but it’s nice to see a football thread amongst the avalanche of absolute bilge that infects this forum.

We need to get 2-3 in before the deadline, which is now just over 3 weeks away.

Suspect the next few weeks with be pretty frenetic everywhere.
This user liked this post: lrac

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:52 am

What's this "shits and giggles " ?... Sounds like something that needs a visit to the doctor.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:55 am

ksrclaret wrote:I quite enjoy the transfer too actually, I find it very interesting seeing which clubs players get linked to and eventually sign for. But enjoying the transfer window is somehow a dirty phrase on here and any hint of it will be met with the resident bores either quoting the date at you or telling you to get out more.

Not really. It’s just that the purpose of the transfer window isn’t entertainment. It’s a period of time given to make improvements to the squad. It’s about where the squad is at the end of the transfer window. To describe a transfer window as boring is fine, in the same way that doing the vacuuming or taking a trip to the bank might be boring.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr simonclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 am

Worth mentioning that Nixon is saying that it is the same for a lot of clubs

Stproc
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 pm

As with most clubs, it will come down to a frantic last few days / hours. As usual, just earlier.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Not really. It’s just that the purpose of the transfer window isn’t entertainment. It’s a period of time given to make improvements to the squad. It’s about where the squad is at the end of the transfer window. To describe a transfer window as boring is fine, in the same way that doing the vacuuming or taking a trip to the bank might be boring.
Not really. The point is this is a football forum and players moving around football clubs is something that people who use football forums (because it's reasonable to assume they have an interest in football) might want to freely discuss.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:06 pm

ksrclaret wrote:Not really. The point is this is a football forum and players moving around football clubs is something that people who use football forums (because it's reasonable to assume they have an interest in football) might want to freely discuss.
I know. I don’t think that transfer talk has been discouraged has it? Criticising a lack of rumours and describing a transfer window as boring seems a bit daft though.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I know. I don’t think that transfer talk has been discouraged has it? Criticising a lack of rumours and describing a transfer window as boring seems a bit daft though.
Discussion around rumours and speculation is regularly discouraged, almost as if this board is above all that and far too important for it. It's really not.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:31 pm

houseboy wrote:Win the Europa league and get relegated or survive and win nothing
Survive and win nothing. This is all about making baby steps in a forward direction. Getting relegated would be a massive step back, regardless of any cup.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 pm

as most clubs want to keep their best players, and prem footballers who are any good cost a fortune, then it only leaves a relatively few names to chase from elsewhere.
Burnley finished 7th with an injury struck squad, as the players we have had sidelined return, no reason to think we desperately need reinforcements.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm surprised we haven't had serious approaches for a few of our key players. Let's not judge the transfer window until it closes. Yes, it's been quiet but tomorrow...

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm

DustyBawls wrote:Survive and win nothing. This is all about making baby steps in a forward direction. Getting relegated would be a massive step back, regardless of any cup.
Let me put this in context and ask a question, do you seriously think we are going to win the PL anytime soon? If the answer is no why would you forgo the chance of a trophy just to be in it, or are we back to just surviving for the sake of it? Do you support your club just to see the bank balance swell or do you want them to actually win something, which is the main aim of sport last I looked? Baby steps are okay but the reality is we can take as many steps as we want but unless something very extraordinary happens and we become a regular top 6 club we have gone as far as we can go, at least for the time being and possibly for a very long time.
I personally would very definitely risk PL status (if that's what it had to be which I doubt anyway) for a trophy but that is because I actually want to see Burnley FC win something, not just survive.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 pm

I agree WEC, I don't think we're desperate for any, but I think we need 2-3 to keep moving forward. Not necessarily in the league table (6th - really?), but in strengthening our squad. That needs to keep moving forward (stronger) every season. So I think 2-3 players would suffice.

Petrol
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Petrol » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Steddyman wrote:I must admit to being utterly bored with this transfer window.
Spend the rest of it naked, regardless of where you are or who you are with, not a stitch on. That will spice it up.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:56 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Quality over quantity isn't such a bad thing.
It is if the quality in question is Sam Clucas :lol:

Billy_Bumface
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 61 times

Post by Billy_Bumface » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm

I personally don’t agree that Dyche is not interested in the Europa League, domestic cups yes, he doesn’t appear to see them as a priority.
But as an ambitious man which he obviously is, European experience is the one thing missing from an already impressive CV.
This user liked this post: DCWat

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:24 pm

houseboy wrote:Let me put this in context and ask a question, do you seriously think we are going to win the PL anytime soon? If the answer is no why would you forgo the chance of a trophy just to be in it, or are we back to just surviving for the sake of it? Do you support your club just to see the bank balance swell or do you want them to actually win something, which is the main aim of sport last I looked? Baby steps are okay but the reality is we can take as many steps as we want but unless something very extraordinary happens and we become a regular top 6 club we have gone as far as we can go, at least for the time being and possibly for a very long time.
I personally would very definitely risk PL status (if that's what it had to be which I doubt anyway) for a trophy but that is because I actually want to see Burnley FC win something, not just survive.
You would risk PL status for a trophy? Then our views are like chalk and cheese.

I see this sport as of course wanting to win something - but not at the expense of something as huge as being relegated. There would be no guarantee of coming back up. Now have a think of the knock-on effect of that? Sure, we'd have some parachute money, but nothing as much like we'd get by staying in the Premier League.

We may not come back up for 20 years. And all that, for winning a cup?

No thanks. I'd sooner we remain competitive in this division and enjoy watching the top teams come to the Turf every other week.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:27 pm

DustyBawls wrote:You would risk PL status for a trophy? Then our views are like chalk and cheese.

I see this sport as of course wanting to win something - but not at the expense of something as huge as being relegated. There would be no guarantee of coming back up. Now have a think of the knock-on effect of that? Sure, we'd have some parachute money, but nothing as much like we'd get by staying in the Premier League.

No thanks. I'd sooner we remain competitive in this division and enjoy watching the top teams come to the Turf every other week.
I like winning things. In the last 30 years, we've won 2 championships, 2 play-offs, 2 other promotions, and a runners-up place in the Sherpa Van. I enjoyed them. Is that it now? We've declared, we don't want to win anything ever again?

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:33 pm

dsr wrote:We've declared, we don't want to win anything ever again?
Where did I post that I didn't want us to win anything ever again? I didn't.

What's wrong with getting stronger season on season and then winning the League Cup or FA cup, whilst remaining in the Premier League?

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:35 pm

we cant win the leauge, and that is where we play every week, so its not about winning a trophy, its the joy of beating top flight opponents home and away and staying in this division whilst becoming wealthier and stronger.
This user liked this post: DustyBawls

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:35 pm

SGr 1 Dyche 0

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm

DustyBawls wrote:You would risk PL status for a trophy? Then our views are like chalk and cheese.

But just surviving and not actually competing as such? I respect your view and each to his own but just bumbling along in the PL watching the club's bank balance swell is to me like being alive but not living, if you get my drift. Risk taking is what makes life interesting, otherwise it's just a day to day slog for no purpose and that is how I view forgoing possible trophies just for PL survival. Don't get me wrong I certainly would be gutted with relegation, goodness knows I've seen enough of them in my time as a Claret, and I think we CAN have a good go at the Europa without endangering PL status anyway, but if success in it meant losing PL status I wouldn't cry too much in my beer.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:43 pm

houseboy wrote:But just surviving and not actually competing as such? I respect your view and each to his own but just bumbling along in the PL watching the club's bank balance swell is to me like being alive but not living, if you get my drift. Risk taking is what makes life interesting, otherwise it's just a day to day slog for no purpose and that is how I view forgoing possible trophies just for PL survival. Don't get me wrong I certainly would be gutted with relegation, goodness knows I've seen enough of them in my time as a Claret, and I think we CAN have a good go at the Europa without endangering PL status anyway, but if success in it meant losing PL status I wouldn't cry too much in my beer.
But like I say further up. What's wrong with this?

1. Remain in the Premier League
2. Get stronger each season - in our case, also making our squad deeper, with more quality
3. Then being able to be more competitive and come closer to winning a League or FA Cup.

A deeper squad, and we could get closer to a domestic cup.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:58 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:SGr 1 Dyche 0
Spot on

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:15 pm

DustyBawls wrote:But like I say further up. What's wrong with this?

1. Remain in the Premier League
2. Get stronger each season - in our case, also making our squad deeper, with more quality
3. Then being able to be more competitive and come closer to winning a League or FA Cup.

A deeper squad, and we could get closer to a domestic cup.
Wouldn't you rather win a Euro trophy? The league Cup is nothing now and the FA Cup is certainly not treated with any seriousness now even by Championship clubs.

I think what I don't get, and this is not aimed at you specifically, is this idea that football doesn't exist outside the PL. It kind of bothers me this obsession with the PL, it is a 20 team league that is one of many around the world and the idea that it is somehow the 'best in the world' is pure ethnocentric arrogance. It is the RICHEST for sure but Sky could just as easily move their interest to Spain or Italy or South America and promote it in the same way then THAT would be the best, supposedly.
I occasionally, as a football fan, go to Stanley (I live just outside Accrington) and I enjoy the games there almost as much (and occasionally better) than many games at the Turf. I will never be a full time fan because my heart is with Burnley and always will be, but I don't need the glitz and glamour of the PL to enjoy football. I think what I mean is that we are now so intent on 'surviving' in the PL that all other interests seem to have gone out the window, and given that we ain't gonna win it anytime soon (and we aren't are we, we're not on the same level really as Leicester) then I have to ask what's the point?

Just one final thing, you say stay in the PL and get stronger and stronger. What about the WBAs and Stokes of this world, they thought they were established, now they are not. The PL dream could all end next season or the season after or in 10 years, who knows, but to discard all else whilst in it doesn't seem right to me.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Have we really got a realistic chance of winning the Europa League? I’d argue not.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Slow for most clubs and we have just had a World Cup. Maybe the club should just hurry up and spend millions more because a fan has become impatient and thrown his toys out of the pram.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Im not so sure its been slow for most clubs. Tony's list shows the other 19 clubs in tbe PL have made 63 signings to date

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10082 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:40 pm

houseboy wrote:But just surviving and not actually competing as such?
To be fair Ian, finishing 7th was hardly just surviving by any stretch of the imagination. ;)