The proudest Burnley moment.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

The proudest Burnley moment.

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Of course it would be easy to say a full season but let's be a little more specific. Times that made you burst with pride and think ''that is MY team''

I feel like Wembley is a boring answer so i'll go with something a little different, Spurs away in the semi final, Wednesday night and we had the place rocking. (I went WHL because I missed Chelsea). The 2nd half performance against Man City this year triggered something inside of me so that would probably be a close 2nd.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: The proudest Burnley moment.

Post by MACCA » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Birmingham away was pretty special, after being pegged back, then going on to score the winner made me think we were the real deal.
When Mr Dyche came over pointing to his jaw, the whole away end erupted. The players came over all fist pumping and it really was a rallying call.
It made the hairs on my neck stand up.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie rincon

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:20 pm

When my son followed my footsteps in becoming a Claret. I admit that we took him to Wembley when he was 6 weeks old but living in Preston and being the only Claret in a school full of Knobenders and a sprinkling of Venkys he could have easily gone down the wrong path.
Now 24 he's even converted his girlfriend to being a Claret and goes over half the away games and has had a season ticket all his life.
These 3 users liked this post: Top Claret tim_noone burnleymik

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Spurs at home in the league cup. What a performance and Robbie at his best.

Wembley 2009 a never thought I’d see the day.

Orient although only a nipper.
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:01 pm

York away. You know the one....!
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie bfcjg Steve1956 Lancasterclaret

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm

So many to choose from. The Championship play-off win at Wembley was very special but for me that 5-1 demolition of the very powerful Leeds Utd under Don Revie is perhaps my proudest moment. It was a Clarets team populated with members of the talented youth cup winning team and orchestrated by the wonderful Frank Casper :)
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Silkyskills1 Colburn_Claret

Claret&Green
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret&Green » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Personally for me was presenting the match ball when my dad sponsored it back in 1982 v Swindon T. My parents had just divorced and my Dad moved up to padiham and started his own driving school. He's only just retired at the age of 75
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Some of the great games: Chelsea in "Capital Punishment" Cup, Tottenham (home leg) in the same comp. Wembley playoff; Beating Man Utd, first game in the Prem; the first half at Brentford (even though the Bees were feeling the loss of Tarks); Winning at Chelsea, first game of last season - and almost every game of last season - we finished 7th in the English Premier League and qualified for Europa.

Agree, CaptJohn's choice of Burnley 5 - 1 Leeds Utd (who were Division One champions that season) - and the absolute class football played that Saturday afternoon - and Ralph Coates is worth a mention alongside Frank Casper.

Kieran Trippier's free kick for England in semi-final of the World Cup - even though Tripps has moved on from Burnley, we all saw him "learning his trade" with Burnley. Nick Pope and Tom Heaton gaining England caps, Tom's injury being the cloud that gave us Nick's "silver lining."

On personal family note: being with my nephew when he signed his professional contract, even though the financial repercussions of ITV Digital cut short his time in developing his professional football career.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie tim_noone Silkyskills1

Stevesball2
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by Stevesball2 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Derby County FA Cup the Jimmy Mullen chant .
For me that was the moment we started the long road back.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Have been going home and away since the mid 60s. The championship play off final against sheff utd was my proudest moment, nothing can better that unless we win the Premier league or the champions league

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Going to soccer camps at gawthorpe in the 90s. Stroked a ball passed Beresford :lol: . I was about 10 and no he didn’t “let it in”. He applauded.

As for matches
Spurs home carling cup. What a night.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Chelsea away in the League Cup 2009/10. I walked down the Kings Road and looked in the bookie's window and it said odds on Lampard to score first. I knew then we'd won. I went into a pub and they were all sitting around, their fans. When I got to Stamford Bridge, The Burnley hooligans were all over the place, entirely free of any fear. I got into the ground and then I heard the wave of sound: 'Oh Bur n ley, is wonderful' and I just burst into song in the concourse and felt a wave of divine sublime-ness and awesome-ness and WOW... That was my proudest moment (so far.)
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Its York away, it will always be York away (unless we win the Europa League or something as utterly ridiculous)

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Mine's yet to come....when we beat Arsenal at the Emirates.though I was very happy with the three nil at west ham.oh and as pstotto mentioned that night at Chelsea best so far!
Last edited by tim_noone on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Japebe43
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Japebe43 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Not one for ewood after 30 odd years of waiting? Maybe that was relief rather than pride though?

claretinkorea
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by claretinkorea » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm with TopClaret on this, maybe not the most original moment, but the end of the playoff final against Sheff Utd was the only time I've had wobbly legs from the adrenaline.

Wasn't there in person, but also proud of the come-back victory at Ewood. It seemed like that was the defining moment (on the pitch at least) when the tide finally turned...

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Japebe43 wrote:Not one for ewood after 30 odd years of waiting? Maybe that was relief rather than pride though?
Never ever been on my radar.. Started followingBurnley when the opposition where as you were for last season's top 8 And we were in Europe to.You bought your short lived success we earned ours.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 pm

Full time whistle Orient game, how the F we pulled that off .

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 pm

tim_noone wrote:Never ever been on my radar.. Started followingBurnley when the opposition where as you were for last season's top 8 And we were in Europe to.You bought your short lived success we earned ours.
A short lived 20 odd years?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:25 pm

bfcjg wrote:Full time whistle Orient game, how the F we pulled that off .
I wasn't there, I wasn't even born but I somehow doubt narrowly avoiding relegation to the 5th tier was a proud moment in our history more of an embarrassing stain.
This user liked this post: Japebe43

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 pm

For me its the Derby fa cup game under Mullen. The feeling of collective pride and defiance to the world is hard to explain. Thought that crap wooden stand ( at least i think it was wood) was going to splinter. And i don't think we would have cared if it did
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Japebe43 wrote:A short lived 20 odd years?
Yes....I've got fifty years under my belt,a short lived twenty indeed.
This user liked this post: Anonymous

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:33 pm

tim_noone wrote:Yes....I've got fifty years under my belt,a short lived twenty indeed.
In the top flight?

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Too many to mention, but I'm going to mention a recent one.

Sean Dyche's video response to Mourinho, Chelsea and any other dicks about the Burnley rampage minutes.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re5c-HPPvIE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Japebe43 wrote:In the top flight?
Read the post again "short lived" success.not even twenty years.

Japebe43

Post by Japebe43 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:43 pm

tim_noone wrote:Read the post again "short lived" success.not even twenty years.
Have you enjoyed 50 years of top flight football with Burnley?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:46 pm

When Stan came out and said that a few players would never play for our great club again is up there for me

whiffa
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 2561 times

Post by whiffa » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Being able to fit through the Bob Lord turnstiles.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:53 pm

tim_noone wrote:Never ever been on my radar.. Started followingBurnley when the opposition where as you were for last season's top 8 And we were in Europe to.You bought your short lived success we earned ours.
:D

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 am

KRBFC wrote:I wasn't there, I wasn't even born but I somehow doubt narrowly avoiding relegation to the 5th tier was a proud moment in our history more of an embarrassing stain.
You had to be there, it felt like half the town came out to breathe life into the club. York was amazing but the emotion at the Orient game will be incredibly hard to replicate and was on a different planet imho
This user liked this post: bfcjg

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 am

Wembley play off v Sheff Utd. Never ever thought we’d reach the Premier League.

The Sherpa Van semi at Preston. Again never thought I’d see the Clarets at Wembley.

The York night was tremendous.

Also the play off semi win at Plymouth. Great night to stick it up those arrogant Pilgrims.

On a more personal note. Seeing 30+ Melbourne Clarets in the Pub for the Charlton game to seal the championship.

Boll ewood
Been Liked: 56 times

Post by Boll ewood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 am

Derby away in fa cup in 1999. Premier league Derby against at the time division 2 burnley. 5000 clarets there packed behind the goal. I was only 12 at the time and had never seen us do a giant killing act. Never forget that day.

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 am

My proudest moment is every time i read this article!

Jimmy Mullen is due in court this morning to answer a drink-drive allegation. On Saturday, he watched his goalkeeper inexplicably drop the ball to present Derby with a decisive second goal that swept his team out of the F.A. Cup.

No, you couldn't claim that these have been the happiest few days in the life of the manager of fourth division Burnley. And yet Mullen has found himself at the centre of a remarkable phenomenon, perhaps unique even in the grand history of football's most romantic competition. I don't care what kind of response former Burnley midfield man Brian Flynn received as manager of Wrexham on their latest day of glory at West Ham. It wouldn't have been a patch on the acclaim given to the boss of the club where he began. I want to tell you about the most heartening, stimulating and optimistic football occasion I have experienced for many, many years.
Derby v Burnley was a match in a time warp. A third round replay played on fourth round day. But the real blast from the past came from far more distant days, when fans came only to back their beloved team, not fight their opposite numbers. When fences weren't needed and policemen merely smiled in approval. Burnley took 4,000 Lancashire lads and lasses to the Midlands. And they were sensational.
Soon after goalkeeper Chris Pearce dropped his dreadful clanger they set up one of the loudest, sustained dins I've ever heard on a football ground anywhere in the world. "Jimmy Mullen's claret-and-blue-army" was the chant from the terraces and double-decker stand that housed Burnley's admiration society.

Over and over they chanted it. Clapping and stamping their feet and drumming the advertising boards in perfect rhythm. On and on for 20 minutes until the end of the match and another 15 minutes afterwards, until I urged the club's chairman to get his manager and players to leave their dressing room, return to the pitch and wave their appreciation. The bedlam was almost deafening. It was a colourful and spectacular sight.
But it is something far more important than that. I wanted others to see and hear it. Big men, important men who are making decisions that could alienate the game from ordinary working folk. I wanted Graham Kelly to be there to prove to him that those who talk of Super Leagues should not underestimate the passion of the so-called little clubs. I wanted Sir John Quinton to be there so that the bank chairman chosen to preside over the elite could learn something of life at the other end of the scale. I wanted officials of Manchester United and Arsenal, Liverpool and the other fat cats behind the move to change the face of football to hear the voices of the people.

The bedlam of Burnley was not simply a cry of support for another of the F.A. Cup's beaten teams. It was a roar of defiance. "Traditions," said Arthur Cox, Derby's manager whose time in north east football taught him all there is to know about fanaticism. "You heard the traditions of Burnley's past out there today. A major club of 30 years ago, don't forget." Those who kept up that incessant, thunderous clatter were real fans. Genuine football people with a deep love of their club, no matter the result of a single game. They had nothing to do with the executive box brigade and corporate hospitality merchants to whom football is pandering in the modern era. They stood in the rain, sat in the cold and screamed their allegiance to a game which, at the highest level, continues to turn it's back.
English football has no right to dismiss or take lightly the support of people like those who raised their voices so valiantly at the Baseball Ground. This, remember, was the support of a team who lost to a deflected free kick and a goal handed on a plate by a goalkeeper who couldn't catch the ball. The frost that caused so many postponements had the managers and scouts flocking to Derby. Brian Clough, David Pleat, Neil Warnock, Ian Branfoot together with scouts from Villa, QPR, Norwich, Portsmouth, Leicester, West Ham, Leeds, Manchester United, Oldham, Coventry, Cambridge, Blackburn to name but a few. Some will report back about individual players or one side or the other. But all will first tell the story of those incredible Burnley supporters.
So at last the message will be cast far and wide. The cry from the Fourth Division will reach high places. "In all my 23 years in the game I've never witnessed anything like that," Jimmy Mullen gasped. "It left my players feeling they were prepared to die for those people

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Our first Premier league home win against Man-Utd was a very special night,and walking down Brunshaw road giving it large to all the United fans on their coaches was good fun,I should know better for a man in my 50s but simply couldn't resist rubbing the result in,that was a very special night for every Claret there.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 pm

I missed York. My dad couldn't get the time off work. For me it has to be the playoff final against Stockport. At times I thought I'd never see us play in the second tier of English football. As for the EPL - it's like being in a beautiful dream.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Easy answer to this. It was the day that I became a supporter.