When did the rise begin?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 553 times

When did the rise begin?

Post by Fretters » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:37 pm

I posted on the Macclesfield thread about the dark days of Stan's first season. However, it was probably the latter part of that season that the upward trajectory that would finally take us to Europe began, I'd say.

For me, the 'recovery' began that January in 1999. We'd finally sorted the mess out at board level, Kilby arrived and Stan had some money. That winter he brought in the likes of Steve Davis, Mickey Mellon and Graham Branch and I remember the new look side going to Bristol Rovers and winning 4-3. That, for me, was the start of the journey which has taken us to where we are now. Sure, we had the 0-5 (Gillingham) and 0-6 (City) blips after that but Stan was finally getting his team together and the additions of Cook and Cowan saw us go unbeaten for the rest of the season before winning promotion the year after.

Following that, we saw the ITV Digital debacle but we never dropped below the second tier again.

Which game for you sticks out for you, when you realised the tide was finally turning?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: When did the rise begin?

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:50 pm

Crystal palace at home midweek under coyle dead and buried at half time losing 0..2?we won the game in the second half And went on a run after that and got promoted at wembley.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32536 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Up with Stan, dropping with Stan, nothing much then until the shock up with Coyle, then the downward spiral with him, Laws and Howe before finally Dyche and that's when it really fully happened.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone mybloodisclaret

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Well we rose from the dead on May 9, 1987. with the pledge that the club would never get into that situation again, and gradually hauled ourselves upward, and got a season in the Championship in 94-95. But there was then a danger of letting it slip again, and we went into the final game of the 97-98 season on the brink of sliding back into the bottom division again. If we had not survived that "triangle of death" as we played Plymouth while Brizzle Rovers took on Brentford, then we could have entered another long period of obscurity in the depths which could have choked the life out of the club.
The momentum from that dramatic last day in 98 - with Waddle departing then Stan finally getting a team sorted out and then the run to promotion in 2000 - propelled what has been for me a fantastic period of years in the top two divisions, culminating in the pinnacle of being "the best of the rest" last season.
These 4 users liked this post: Blackburnclaret Juan Tanamera RammyClaret61 mybloodisclaret

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:57 pm

If we're talking the "rise into Europe" then you can look no further than appointing Sir Dyche and the 1st promotion under him.

Lets not go over the Coyle years again, but imo, after dropping down we weren't in that much better shape (Financially or in infrastructure) than before and if SD hadn't got us promoted that season I believe we would have settled back as a Lower End Championship / 1st Division team.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:01 pm

I'd have to say Owen Coyle, even though with how he left, jump-started us.

The 2009 playoff final win vs Sheffield United was significant.

crundale
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 36 times

: When did

Post by crundale » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:13 pm

DustyBawls wrote:I'd have to say Owen Coyle, even though with how he left, jump-started us.

The 2009 playoff final win vs Sheffield United was significant.
Most certainly earlier than this game but I remember walking off the the QPR game, the one when Barton was hit by a bottle, after playing them off the park and realising how bloody good we were.

crundale
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by crundale » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Edit. Later!

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:31 pm

9th may 1987

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Two words
Barry Kilby
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera boatshed bill

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3082 times
Has Liked: 5059 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Trajectory is the wrong word our rise have been like stairs, rather than a ladder. Build, stabilise, build again.
All the managers since Jimmy Mullen have played a part. Stan, Cotterill, Judas, Howe, Sean. Top of the pile though has to be Barry Kilby, without him I'm certain we wouldn't be where we are today. His passion, and nous about football, but especially Burnley, has got us here.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:27 pm

In terms of where we are now, it began when Dyche took over. Nobody else would’ve taken a team 4th favourites for relegation, just sold their best striker, just made an £8m loss up with 93 points spending only 4-500k in the process. Simple as.
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone paulus the woodgnome mybloodisclaret

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Cajun wrote:Well we rose from the dead on May 9, 1987. with the pledge that the club would never get into that situation again, and gradually hauled ourselves upward, and got a season in the Championship in 94-95. But there was then a danger of letting it slip again, and we went into the final game of the 97-98 season on the brink of sliding back into the bottom division again. If we had not survived that "triangle of death" as we played Plymouth while Brizzle Rovers took on Brentford, then we could have entered another long period of obscurity in the depths which could have choked the life out of the club.
The momentum from that dramatic last day in 98 - with Waddle departing then Stan finally getting a team sorted out and then the run to promotion in 2000 - propelled what has been for me a fantastic period of years in the top two divisions, culminating in the pinnacle of being "the best of the rest" last season.
That victory over Plymouth was on reflection far more important than we realised at the time,can't remember all the details but we were bottom of the league at Christmas i think with a measly points tally,and the last 20 or so games we had play-off form that enabled us too complete the great escape just.There has been challenges since ITV Digital collapsing being a major one,as we had to downsize the squad and consolidate in the Championship for several seasons,but even during the dark days under Cotterill,we produced memorable moments the Liverpool and Aston Villa cup wins will last long in the memory.And retaining second tier status ultimately gave us the platform to build a team under Coyle to reach the promised land.Despite meekly dropping back to the Championship the hiring of Eddie Howe was pivotal in signing the likes of Ings,Trippier and Austin,whose sale allowed Sir Sean too build his own team and winning formula,again with a relegation blip,but each time returning to the Championship stronger than before and bouncing back as champions gave the players belief they could compete in the top division.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Re: : When did

Post by COBBLE » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 pm

crundale wrote:Most certainly earlier than this game but I remember walking off the the QPR game, the one when Barton was hit by a bottle, after playing them off the park and realising how bloody good we were.
Same experience for me as well.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Jimmy Mullen
This user liked this post: Steve1956

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:27 pm

tiger76 wrote:That victory over Plymouth was on reflection far more important than we realised at the time,can't remember all the details but we were bottom of the league at Christmas i think with a measly points tally,and the last 20 or so games we had play-off form that enabled us too complete the great escape just.There has been challenges since ITV Digital collapsing being a major one,as we had to downsize the squad and consolidate in the Championship for several seasons,but even during the dark days under Cotterill,we produced memorable moments the Liverpool and Aston Villa cup wins will last long in the memory.And retaining second tier status ultimately gave us the platform to build a team under Coyle to reach the promised land.Despite meekly dropping back to the Championship the hiring of Eddie Howe was pivotal in signing the likes of Ings,Trippier and Austin,whose sale allowed Sir Sean too build his own team and winning formula,again with a relegation blip,but each time returning to the Championship stronger than before and bouncing back as champions gave the players belief they could compete in the top division.
I was going to say all the above word for word :D
This user liked this post: tiger76

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:53 pm

The day that Charlie Austin left, David Jones was brought in and VINGS were told that they’d be the forward duo in the season opener against Bolton Wanderers!

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:15 pm

Definitely when we appointed eddie howe. It showed we could attract sought after, up and coming forward thinking managers. One who had us playing the best football i saw in 30 years watching us.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:19 pm

If it be your will wrote:If I had to choose a single game it would be Bury v Burnley 9th Feb 1988. Sherpa Van N Quarter Final, where we won 0-1 in a hurricane. The whole town's attitude towards the club changed in that cup run, which only truly started that night. Everyone seemed to join in after that.
Everyone remembers the Northern final at Preston,but in the previous round we squeezed past Halifax on penalties after a goalless 120 mins,who knows what the future would have looked like if we hadn't won through that night,this was only a matter of months since the Orient game and the club was still in a fragile state,what 1988 showed was the potential of the club despite all the turbulence of the previous 5 or so seasons,for a game between two division 4 teams to attract 80,000 plus was remarkable.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:22 pm

Thought about this all day and I think it was a 1-0 (or could have been 2-1) defeat to PNE, after we had been dry humped by City and Gillingham. But we played really well and were well unlucky to lose. You left the ground thinking we'd turned a corner.

Stan bought in a couple of players, and we then spent the rest of the season unbeaten, then got into the championship.

It could have been 1987, York, Wembley or loads of others, but this is a period that is overlooked.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:24 pm

It was a 0-1 home defeat to PNE mate. Kurt Nogan got the only goal at the Cricket Field end with that audacious lob.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10256 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 pm

When I watched the latest Trivago advert.....
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:35 pm

If it be your will wrote:That's exactly it, yes! That rather pointless competition (let's be honest) seemed to remind everyone that BFC was important. Dare I say it, even more than the Orient game did.
I think it gave hope of more days in the sun,and there's been plenty of them since. :)

Bop
Been Liked: 244 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 pm

It’s been like walking up the back steps on a wintery icy night to The Longside. You knew you’d get there and enjoy it eventually,, but never realised how difficult and long it would take you.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Thought about this all day and I think it was a 1-0 (or could have been 2-1) defeat to PNE, after we had been dry humped by City and Gillingham. But we played really well and were well unlucky to lose. You left the ground thinking we'd turned a corner.
Stan bought in a couple of players, and we then spent the rest of the season unbeaten, then got into the championship.
It could have been 1987, York, Wembley or loads of others, but this is a period that is overlooked.
100% this ... !

I can't claim to have had the feeling at the time, but with Barry Kilby taking over, Stan Ternent as Manager, and with people like Andy Payton and Steve Davis on the pitch, you got the feeling that they loved every win and felt every loss just as much as the fans did....

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:13 pm

Fretters wrote:I posted on the Macclesfield thread about the dark days of Stan's first season. However, it was probably the latter part of that season that the upward trajectory that would finally take us to Europe began, I'd say.

For me, the 'recovery' began that January in 1999. We'd finally sorted the mess out at board level, Kilby arrived and Stan had some money. That winter he brought in the likes of Steve Davis, Mickey Mellon and Graham Branch and I remember the new look side going to Bristol Rovers and winning 4-3. That, for me, was the start of the journey which has taken us to where we are now. Sure, we had the 0-5 (Gillingham) and 0-6 (City) blips after that but Stan was finally getting his team together and the additions of Cook and Cowan saw us go unbeaten for the rest of the season before winning promotion the year after.

Following that, we saw the ITV Digital debacle but we never dropped below the second tier again.

Which game for you sticks out for you, when you realised the tide was finally turning?
I remember that 4-3 away win at Bristol. Bugger me I went to loads of away games back then and we never got ought. When we won that game I was in complete shock for days.

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:42 pm

SGr wrote:In terms of where we are now, it began when Dyche took over. Nobody else would’ve taken a team 4th favourites for relegation, just sold their best striker, just made an £8m loss up with 93 points spending only 4-500k in the process. Simple as.
Please don't end posts "Simple as" or "End of"" as though you know everything, even if you are right it's annoying. To me.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:47 pm

paulus the woodgnome wrote:Please don't end posts "Simple as" or "End of"" as though you know everything, even if you are right it's annoying. To me.
Nuff Said! :?

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Certainly began with a Jimmy Mullen. Stan then made us believe but Cotterril sured is up in the Championship.

Coyle and Dyche gave us acheivements I never dreamt of.

It’s my view and the usual on here will disagree, but if you look at our town and competition in the championship we were punching above our weight to be a top half side in that league.

We should still be pinching ourselves that we ever made it to this league, never mind where we are today.

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Clarets4me

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:58 am

Winning at portman Rd.

ian
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by ian » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:59 am

Losing in the final minutes to Spurs in the LC semis. Getting so close to Wembley meant we just *had* to make the playoff final. That's what it felt like to me anyway.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:03 am

Owen Coyle. Without him the club would be in a completely different place.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:17 am

SonofPog wrote:If we're talking the "rise into Europe" then you can look no further than appointing Sir Dyche and the 1st promotion under him.

Lets not go over the Coyle years again, but imo, after dropping down we weren't in that much better shape (Financially or in infrastructure) than before and if SD hadn't got us promoted that season I believe we would have settled back as a Lower End Championship / 1st Division team.
Id say the same about SD. If he hadn’t got us up a 2nd time we’d be a lower end championship team. But then again if he’d have won every game we’d be Champions of Europe by now.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2918 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:59 am

Vegas Claret wrote:Jimmy Mullen
I dont think Mullen gets the credit he fully deserves from some of our support for the part he played in were we are today.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1621 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:52 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jimmy Mullen got the blood in Burnley's vein again. Barry Kilby & Stan started it pumping.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

martintheaker
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by martintheaker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:26 am

Fretters wrote: Which game for you sticks out for you, when you realised the tide was finally turning?

4th of May 1987 on the drive back from Crewe was when we realised the tide had to turn because it felt like the whole football world was against us. So for me, it turned on the final whistle 5 days later.

Sure there’s been a few bumps in the road, but it’s still a hell of a journey.