Burnley ready for European odyssey but manager is a brutal realist

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:36 am

In The Sunday Times, on-line edition today - but I can't find it my early print edition (expect it may be in later editions and/or on Monday).

Sean Dyche: One day I will be sacked

by Ian Whittell

As he surveys his domain, at Burnley’s £13m Gawthorpe training ground, Sean Dyche is facing up to an early start to his club’s competitive season, in Thursday’s Europa League trip to Aberdeen, and the harsh realities of life at one of the great overachievers in Premier League history.

Dyche, the highest-placed English manager in the top flight last season, is aware his efforts in leading Burnley to seventh may prove a glass ceiling for a club whose resources are dwarfed by the six rivals who finished above them.

For precedents, take Stoke City, Southampton and West Bromwich Albion, clubs with whom Burnley could more reasonably be compared. Two years ago, Stoke finished ninth in the Premier League; in 2017, West Brom were 10th. This year, both exited the top flight while Southampton just escaped relegation, after finishing sixth and eighth in the seasons prior.

Factor in the tricky second qualifying round tie with Aberdeen, the potential disruption of an extended Europa League run and the fact Dyche has yet to break his duck in the summer transfer window, which has less than three weeks left to run, and Burnley fans might be excused for looking at the new campaign, and Europe in particular, with trepidation. Predictably, Dyche is not.

“You finish the season on a high then the doom and gloom starts about the number of extra games,” he said. “For a club of this size this is a massive jump. “Not many people at the beginning of last season gave us a chance of finishing seventh. Clubs like this almost have to go back to the start point each season to remodel it again.

“Because there’s not a given in the Premier League, we saw that last season with West Brom and Stoke. I don’t think anybody a year ago thought they would struggle like they did. Last season was great, this one starts all over again knowing there’s a big challenge ahead.

“We should be a bit wiser, a bit stronger, we should have learnt. The Premier League is the driving force, but for a club like this, the Europa League has to be recognised as a badge of honour.”

Dyche has returned Burnley to European football for the first time in 52 years and led them to their highest league finish since a sixth place in 1974.

The football landscape has shifted seismically in the intervening 44 years, meaning that even matching last season’s efforts seems a tall order. “It might well be seventh is the highest Burnley can ever finish,” he said. “Seventh isn’t the highest ‘possible,’ it might be the highest ‘probable.’ The possibilities are endless, we saw that when Leicester blew the roof off.

“Probably it is difficult to go beyond seventh in this division when you are us. And a number of other clubs could say the same. But you never know. When I came here none of this was envisaged.

“Staying in the Premier League is a start point because that’s the minimum objective you want to get to. Beyond that, who knows?”

Dyche knows he needs to strengthen his squad. Squad player Scott Arfield left for Rangers at the end of last season and, with no new signings, Burnley have a net loss to show in summer movements to date.

“We have to get some players in because we are definitely short at the moment,” said Dyche. “The one thing we’ve tried to work on here is not just bringing players in for the sake of it. Patience is a mindset in this part of the world, it’s like, ‘look after the pounds’.”

Looking after the Burnley coffers is something Dyche has done impressively in assembling his squad, and overseeing off-field developments such as the new training complex.

But the 47-year-old is all too aware of the realities of his profession. “My day will come, I know it will come, not because I’m good, bad or indifferent; just because that’s the nature of football. They used to say, ‘He’s unsackable.’ That went years ago didn’t it?”

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Burnley ready for European odyssey but manager is a brutal realist

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:38 am

Dunno

He's probably as unsackable as its possible to be, certainly with the current owners.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley Ace Guich

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:45 am

Doesn’t bare thinking about - the day dyche goes
This user liked this post: Anonymous

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:49 am

Got to love the bloke, no bullshit.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4031 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:02 am

I can't see such a change in our clubs ways that he would ever get sacked. Whilst there are some on here who question how far he can take us, the overwhelming majority realise the genius he is. A very intelligent, well motivated and nationally very well respected gem.

The day he leaves will be a very sad, dark day.
These 8 users liked this post: burnleymik MT03ALG Leisure evensteadiereddie Paul Waine Ashingtonclaret46 Cleveleys_claret BFCmaj

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 am

We do have a good track record of picking managers though as 3 out of our last 4 have all got teams promoted to the Prem.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:27 am

There will be a day when Sean moves on, but he definitely won't be sacked. The only way it could happen is if we sell our soul to some foreign investor. Another good reason for keeping Burnley in Burnley hands.
These 3 users liked this post: MT03ALG Jel ten bellies

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:27 am

Spijed wrote:We do have a good track record of picking managers though as 3 out of our last 4 have all got teams promoted to the Prem.
3 out of last 4 managers have promotions to prem?

Coyle, Dyche & ????

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:29 am

I'd object to being compared to Saints, Stoke and WBA.

We're one of the few clubs who don't make large losses every season.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2917 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:34 am

wilks_bfc wrote:3 out of last 4 managers have promotions to prem?

Coyle, Dyche & ????
Howe, i think he means

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Dunno

He's probably as unsackable as its possible to be, certainly with the current owners.
Have to agree with Lancaster in that Dyche's position is probably more secure than any other manager in the League at this moment in time. However, in terms of influence off the pitch at the Club, I doubt it's anywhere near the level that many people on here envisage. That is the reason why that last Friday's deadline for signings in time for the Aberdeen tie has come and gone.

He is merely an employee of the Club and as such carries out the wishes of his employers just as in any other business. Said on here last week that good as Dyche has been for Burnley in the last five and a half years, the Club have been equally good to him rewarding his success with a lucrative contract. If it therefore means that we have to forego progress in the Europa League in order to play full strength sides in PL games and try to ensure further dollops of £120 million plus from Broadcast Income, then so be it. Dyche will have to accept that just like the rest of us.

I believe that in all these interviews he's done this weekend he's attempting to transmit exactly that same thought process to the outside world.

Claretitus
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 211 times

Post by Claretitus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 am

Howe didn't take us up though.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 am

Steve1956 wrote:Howe, i think he means
I thought he was talking about with us

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5056 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 am

I never realised, but should have, that he is the highest paid English manager. As he isnt likely to get a top 6 job, he would have to take a pay cut to leave.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:58 am

Why would he have to take a pay cut to leave?
That means he's devaluing himself.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:01 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:I thought he was talking about with us
He took Bournemouth up so three of our last four managers have got teams into the Premier league I think he meant that ;)
This user liked this post: tim_noone

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I never realised, but should have, that he is the highest paid English manager. As he isnt likely to get a top 6 job, he would have to take a pay cut to leave.
Where have you read that?
I’d have thought Hodgson got a hell of a deal for keeping CP up.
Similar with Hughes, Welsh I know, at Saints.
Then there is only Howe, Colin ****** & Hughton.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:04 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:I thought he was talking about with us
It was very remiss of Spijed buggering off and not explaining himself :lol:

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Steve1956 wrote:It was very remiss of Spijed buggering off and not explaining himself :lol:
I read Spijed's post and knew that he wasn't claiming that 3 out of Burnley's last 4 managers got Burnley promoted. The phrase "got teams promoted...." was what told me what he meant.

Plus, Clarets have only been promoted to Premier League 3 times and Sean Dyche was the manager who delivered on 2 of those occasions.

No worries,

Roll on Thursday and

UTC

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:46 pm

I could have taken Bournemouth up with their budget.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Cue banners at games reading "Unsackable Dyche"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtoCw2iOTSc

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:54 pm

claretabroad wrote:I could have taken Bournemouth up with their budget.
the team they got promoted with cost next to nothing, largely the same team they got out of League One with. We spent more on Andre Gray that the entire Bournemouth team cost to assemble.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:10 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wages though...
This user liked this post: Rowls

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:23 pm

If Bournemouth drop they could be in financial trouble high wages,15 million down the drain on Jordan Ibe. Let's see how long they stick with Eddie if that happens.Losses of nearly 40 million the last time they were a Championship club doesn't bode well,and their wage bill will be much higher now of course parachute payments would help,but i'd suspect a lot of cost-cutting,this is why Burnley have too be prudent with any possible outgoings,as relegation with a large debt and players on silly money could cripple the club for years.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:14 pm

tiger76 wrote:If Bournemouth drop they could be in financial trouble high wages,15 million down the drain on Jordan Ibe. Let's see how long they stick with Eddie if that happens.Losses of nearly 40 million the last time they were a Championship club doesn't bode well,and their wage bill will be much higher now of course parachute payments would help,but i'd suspect a lot of cost-cutting,this is why Burnley have too be prudent with any possible outgoings,as relegation with a large debt and players on silly money could cripple the club for years.
But they made it .....and more fairly than qpr who were in competition with us for promotion making a complete mess of it trying to buy promotion over Burnleys prudence.I think bournemouths spending to maintain a place in the top flight as paid off.inc the signing of j.defoe.