Amateur running of club

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Re: Amateur running of club

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Did you do the sign up offer?
No, I already subscribe to it. But i had to go about getting last night's game by a bit of a round-about route, missed the start.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:How is it not their fault? They advertised a product they couldnt deliver
It isn't solely the clubs fault, although you're banging a special drum tonight.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:... and had money taken when they shouldn’t.

Don’t blame the club though, as said above it’s some bungling third party. Think it worked better on laptops and pcs than phones and tablets.
They had money taken if they decided to pay for a subscription.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 pm

mkmel wrote:I applaud Sean Dyche for being like Arsene Wenger was at Arsenal with caring about the bigger picture of running a football club and not just about signing players

Since being with us he has transformed our club both on and off the pitch and set us up not only for the present but also for the future
Well said; could not agree more

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:02 pm

basil6345789 wrote:Some people are imbeciles.
Dyche is in complete control of his processes.
But he is certainly not in charge of the purse strings

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 pm

jojomk1 wrote:But he is certainly not in charge of the purse strings
Correct and nor should he be. The Board sets the transfer and wage budget which is good because their financial strategy has been excellent for several years. It's all about finding the right balance - for example the board making £25m available for Rodriguez and Dawson was a fair and reasonable opening bid in my eyes. Dyche seems to be on board with that because he's realistic about what the club can and can't commit to.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Any fool can spend other folks (club) money.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Any fool can spend other folks (club) money.
Seems to be a few on here.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:31 pm

taio wrote:Correct and nor should he be. The Board sets the transfer and wage budget which is good because their financial strategy has been excellent for several years. It's all about finding the right balance - for example the board making £25m available for Rodriguez and Dawson was a fair and reasonable opening bid in my eyes. Dyche seems to be on board with that because he's realistic about what the club can and can't commit to.
It may have been a fair and reasonable bid in the eyes of the Chairman but given the comments by Dyche re prob having to break our transfer record to get in at least one of his preferred targets I suspect he may beg to differ this summer

The financial strategy over the last few years has been good but you have to add to that the excellent management skills of SD.

The majority of other Prem sides are strengthening but we are treading water despite an increased fixture list

Still hoping the Chairman will spend some of this increased budget - his words don't forget

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Any fool can spend other folks (club) money.
Are you referring to SD as a fool

His comments suggest he wants to spend some of the clubs money - most of which he has made a huge contribution to with his management of the squad

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 pm

I really get angry with threads like this. OP probably couldn’t even run a sandwich shop.

(Edited to remove my childish name calling)
Last edited by LoveCurryPies on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

taio

Post by taio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm

It seems pretty clear the Board also wants to spend money on transfers.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:41 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:I really get angry with threads like this. OP probably couldn’t even run a sandwich shop. Pr@t
Why couldnt I run a sandwich shop. Bread supplier wants 50p a loaf I want it for 25p...we talk, meet somewhere that suits us both or I go find another bread supplier.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:44 pm

taio wrote:It seems pretty clear the Board also wants to spend money on transfers.
How so.....we have made bids for just 4 players this summer. Dawson, Jay, Clucas, Mawson. All way under value. There is no way a club can bid for a player in this day and age without it leaking out. We arent moving on to new targets, we think they need us....they dont...these clubs are richer at present than us

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:45 pm

padihamclaret wrote:I am a bit concerned about our lack of transfer activity given we start competitive football early against Aberdeen. The other minor gripes are just that, minor gripes.
My concern is what happens when SD eventually leaves to pastures new. SD has performed minor miracles in getting the most out of players and plucking gems out in the transfer market for very small amounts.
I can't see us getting another manager who can work under the same restrictions and we don't want a reputation for being stingy
We will replace him easily. Many managers would love to work for a board as loyal as ours are.
Of course there are managers who wouldn't want the job unless there was loads of money to spend/waste on players. In that case haven't we dodged a bullet.
The board have been excellent at recruiting over the last 12 years, even the much maligned Brian Laws was unlucky.

taio

Post by taio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:How so.....we have made bids for just 4 players this summer. Dawson, Jay, Clucas, Mawson. All way under value. There is no way a club can bid for a player in this day and age without it leaking out. We arent moving on to new targets, we think they need us....they dont...these clubs are richer at present than us
If the figures quoted in the media are broadly correct I don't believe they are all way under value at all.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1430 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Can I use my vote this week to have this person removed?

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:51 pm

taio wrote:If the figures quoted in the media are broadly correct I don't believe they are all way under value at all.
I believe them to be fair too. But when we couldnt reach a compromise we should walk away. Not still be acting desperate 8 weeks on

taio

Post by taio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I believe them to be fair too. But when we couldnt reach a compromise we should walk away. Not still be acting desperate 8 weeks on
That was a quick change of mind.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 pm

If people think we are run by amateurs,look at Portsmouth,Venkys,Bolton,Sunderland and many others that truly is amateurish housekeeping.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32393 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I love Burnley and think SD is the greatest thing to have happened to our club. I hope he stays for the full term of his contract but in windows like this I cant help get frustrated and look at how as a premier league club we are still being run so amateurishly. Before anyone says this is wrong lets look at just of the things which our club have done over the last few years.

1) lets start with last nights Clarets Player debacle. An absolute disgrace that this was allowed to happen while taking fans personal information.

2) Disabled facilities

3) The Lee Hoos email

4) our lack of understanding basic market value of players. We pocketed close on 45m for keane and gray last season. Now a season on we are in the market for two players in similar positions who are valued at 40m. Now I believe both Dawson and Jay Rod outperformed Keane and Gray last year but we value them at less? How does this work

5) Ticketing problems

6) Allowing sponsors Ladbrokes to constantly take the **** out of us on social media without pulling the plug.

Come on Burnley we are Premier League. Lets get our act together

All this amateur stuff and 7th in the Premier League - that's incredible.

And what is the Lee Hoos email - do you mean Lee Darnbrough?

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
1) lets start with last nights Clarets Player debacle. An absolute disgrace that this was allowed to happen while taking fans personal information.
I think you might need to reset your disgrace-ometer - it looks to be way too sensitive.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:All this amateur stuff and 7th in the Premier League - that's incredible.

And what is the Lee Hoos email - do you mean Lee Darnbrough?
Ha ha well done CT I put Lee Hoos in as a trick. Well done on being first to spot it. On the pitch amazing. Just a shame other aspects let us down at times
This user liked this post: Right_winger

taio

Post by taio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Was your reference to 8 weeks some sort of trick too?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Nah he just dribbled onto the wrong part of his phone.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I love Burnley and think SD is the greatest thing to have happened to our club. I hope he stays for the full term of his contract but in windows like this I cant help get frustrated and look at how as a premier league club we are still being run so amateurishly. Before anyone says this is wrong lets look at just of the things which our club have done over the last few years.

2) Disabled facilities

3) The Lee Hoos email

4) our lack of understanding basic market value of players. We pocketed close on 45m for keane and gray last season. Now a season on we are in the market for two players in similar positions who are valued at 40m. Now I believe both Dawson and Jay Rod outperformed Keane and Gray last year but we value them at less? How does this work

5) Ticketing problems

6) Allowing sponsors Ladbrokes to constantly take the **** out of us on social media without pulling the plug.

1) So you couldn't watch a friendly for free due to IT issues from a 3rd party. Big deal.

2) About to be among the best in Premier League

3) What???

4) Last 3 windows have been excellent, we have broken our record for signings in each and our player strength has improved each time. Still 3 weeks to go.

5) What? Selling only to people with the most points? My heart bleeds for you. I had to wait till day 3 but I'm not complaining.

6) happened once, profuse apologies and since then - lots of sponsorship money. Don't be so sensitive.

This was either an ill informed fishing expedition or the post of a very recent fan who really cannot grasp how far this club has come, and how well it has managed the transition. Just look at the Gawthorpe facilities to get an idea of just where we are heading.
These 3 users liked this post: SonofPog Holtyclaret Goodclaret

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:02 pm

taio wrote:Was your reference to 8 weeks some sort of trick too?
Season ended May 13th. It is now July 24th. Actually 10 weeks which makes it even worse
Last edited by Cleveleys_claret on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 pm

On the pitch we are excellent. That’s all down to Dyche and his staff.

Off the pitch we have a long long way to go in a lot of areas.
These 2 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret ZizkovClaret

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:12 pm

I’m so angry with this thread. :lol:

We are one of the best run clubs...financially sound and a team outperforming our dreams. We’ve kept our manager and best players. No doubt a few signings will happen before the window closes. The club bought the ground back and has invested millions in training first class facilities.

Yes, there might have been a mistake or missed opportunity from time to time but that is reality. Show me any club in the world who hasn’t made a mistake.

Children, prams and rattles...describes some fans!
These 4 users liked this post: martin_p SonofPog LeadBelly tim_noone

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Some ridiculous comments on here. Burnley is just about the best run club in the country as a result of which we have achieved levels of success that no other club like us has been able to equal. By that I mean achieving a position and status in the leagues that clubs of our size have only ever achieved when gifted huge financial backing by the owners. We have done what no one else has done and a large part of that success is down to the manner in which the board of directors is running the club.
These 7 users liked this post: ClaretTony martin_p LeadBelly Holtyclaret mkmel tim_noone Paranoid

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1567 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:33 pm

martin_p wrote:They had money taken if they decided to pay for a subscription.
When it was clearly stated that no
Money would be taken until after free trial ie. if you like the service and want to keep in on.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:We will replace him easily. Many managers would love to work for a board as loyal as ours are.
Of course there are managers who wouldn't want the job unless there was loads of money to spend/waste on players. In that case haven't we dodged a bullet.
The board have been excellent at recruiting over the last 12 years, even the much maligned Brian Laws was unlucky.
Unlucky at what? He was a shocking appointment.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Murger wrote:Unlucky at what? He was a shocking appointment.
Yes in many ways, but didn't help with a number of senior players having a sulk after Coyle left.

That's why Howe had a clear out when he took over and shipped out the bad apples.

If said players had decided to put their dummies back in and knuckle down maybe Laws' tenure would've been different.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Colburn_Claret

harpers_perm
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by harpers_perm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:18 pm

That original post is truly f4cking hilarious and a true depiction of someone without any concept of context.

Do you think fans of Leeds, Derby, the Sheffield’s, Boros, Sunderland and countless other clubs are moaning about ticketing, disabled facilities and media players.

We have a great manager, great board, building infrastructure, in Europe and money to spend yet you criticise about f4cking Clarets player.

You need to climb out your hole son and put your glasses on.

Lee Hoos email, you must be taking the p1ss.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:19 pm

jeez, and all I had to do was to mention sugarless sodas to get censored!

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:When it was clearly stated that no
Money would be taken until after free trial ie. if you like the service and want to keep in on.
There was a free pass, a monthly subscription and an annual subscription. If you chose free pass then no money was taken (the clue was in the name).

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:32 pm

only one issue here, and that is if sean dyche is concerned .
I dont know how these transfers are dealt with, but if he was being denied, and felt the board were lacklustre, then he will go sooner than later.
On the other hand, he may well be very happy with things...who knows ?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4183 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:01 am

2) Disabled facilities

3) The Lee Hoos email

5) Ticketing problems

What an absolute bedwetter.

trying hard not to laugh at someone crying over not being able to watch all of a pre season friendly on his pc for free, why not go to the game if you are so keen to see it I mean it probably takes 30 minutes to drive there.

Funny how to tell people to park last season and finishing 7th, then bring up Lee Hoos, someone who isn't at the club anymore, take your own advice and park it.

If the club embarrasses you so much and makes you shed tears on the internet perhaps you should change clubs, Blackpool is closer and they have signed about 12 players this summer, get on down there.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 am

I don’t buy into all this “what more could you want”, we can always improve, in lots of areas. To call the club amateur is nonsensical and insulting though.
This user liked this post: Leisure

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:25 am

Thank you, starting_11.

Wasn't it just a technical problem? I mean these things do happen (technical problems).

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:42 pm

martin_p wrote:There was a free pass, a monthly subscription and an annual subscription. If you chose free pass then no money was taken (the clue was in the name).
And when trying to view, it kept pinging up monthly or annual, within the monthly text it stated no payment will be taken until after free trial. Most subscriptions of this type want you to enter all your details and it’s up to you to cancel before the end of trial or you’ll be charged. Ie amazon prime trial.

Smart arse.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:And when trying to view, it kept pinging up monthly or annual, within the monthly text it stated no payment will be taken until after free trial. Most subscriptions of this type want you to enter all your details and it’s up to you to cancel before the end of trial or you’ll be charged. Ie amazon prime trial.

Smart arse.
There is, and has been for a while the free option.... This gives access to all the videos etc, but not match day commentary, I've been signed up to that for a while now, but it wouldn't let me view the game on Tuesday because the paywall wasn't removed, you didn't have to sign up to anything, or enter any payment details

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:36 pm

To be fair I am a bit of a Luddite. Being nearly 200 miles from Burnley I was thrilled at the prospect of seeing a pre-season game.

Anyway, swiftly resolved the next day.

For the record I am thrilled with how we are doing and definitely don’t fall into the moaner category just peed off at this 3rd party for ruining an evening trying to sort it after a long day at work. UTC