ARTICLE: Burnley away in Europe – times to savour

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Burnley away in Europe – times to savour

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:01 pm

How much better can things get? Tomorrow is a special night.

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/burnley-awa ... -to-savour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 6 users liked this post: The Enclosure BFCmaj Fretters PhiladelphiaChris Jel ecc

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Re: ARTICLE: Burnley away in Europe – times to savour

Post by claret59 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:59 pm

A great article Tony. A timely reminder too of how far we have come and what an achievement it is. To think that every club in the League, bar the regular top six, would give anything to be where Burnley FC is at this time. I am sure to be told that being a football 'chat site' means reading the bad opinions on the Club as well as the good but I do wish those doom-mongers on here would give it a rest. Constantly reading sarcastic criticisms of the club over lack of transfer activity is depressing. Even when there are suggestions of possible signings these are often accompanied by a chorus of 'boo boys' ( including stupid comments like being too good for Burnley,) as though they were in charge of the club.These are indeed times to savour and not to moan.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:01 pm

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve - full of nerves, excitement and wonderment. I never, ever thought I'd live to see this. Can't wait.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:07 pm

I never thought I'd see us play in the Premier league, I never thought I'd see us play in Europe.

What next?

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:07 pm

The Lausanne game was the only one I went on back in those days.

Great that those times are back.

Top Don
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Top Don » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve - full of nerves, excitement and wonderment. I never, ever thought I'd live to see this. Can't wait.
Tony, I registered on this site initially to find out what you guys thought about the draw and never imagined I'd still be posting after this time.
I can however genuinely feel the excitement amongst a number of you about playing on this stage after so long.
I was spoilt in the 80's with what I was fortunate enough to live through following my team home and abroad.
If we lose over the two legs, and I think we very likely will do, I think I'll continue to hang around and travel with you (not literally) on your European adventure.
Hope you're all made to feel very welcome in Aberdeen.
I have a feeling that things are going to a lot more friendly than if it was one of the top six coming up here to play.
These 13 users liked this post: Sarum Goddy Ashingtonclaret46 ClaretPope levraiclaret DCWat Claretforshaw Zom Zom BFCmaj beeholeclaret cricketfieldclarets HunterST_BFC JohnDearyMe

MyRightFoot
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by MyRightFoot » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:16 pm

Being 28 I only just remember the Jimmy Mullen era, I never even dreamed of watching Burnley in Europe and here I am sat on lunan bay beach with my best mate having a ice cold pint ready to make the short journey over to Aberdeen in the morning to watch the clarets in Europe! Can't stop smiling :D UTC!
This user liked this post: Claretmatt4

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Lovely article. I'm fortunate and old enough to have seen all the home games in our last European adventure in the Fairs Cup. I'll be at our next home game in Europe :)
I never thought I would see the day :D

Claret Kitch
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Claret Kitch » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:44 pm

My Ryanair flight still going ahead from Malaga to Aberdeen in the morning. Not back yet, but hopefully no more cancellations! UTC!

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:44 pm

It all brings back lovely memories of when I was a teenager and my dad took me to Rheims and then Hamburg when the furthest I had been prior to that was Weston-super-Mare on holiday!
Those days in the 1960s were heady days indeed for us Clarets fans and I too never believed I would see the day when we would be playing in a European Competition again :D
These 4 users liked this post: Leisure levraiclaret Royboyclaret beeholeclaret

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Lovely article (why no photo of Ralph Coates playing for Burnley though?!)

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:07 pm

My sentiments are very much like most others. I started watching Burnley shortly before we dropped into Division Four. Difficult times as we were all made very aware of in 1987.
The road back was a long one, but you know what, I honestly feel that experiencing those days and witnessing our climb back up are a privilege.
I don't get to go to watch our boys any more despite just being 15 minutes walk away (not for the want of trying though). But I'm still as delighted and as excited as the next man to see this new chapter being written.

Aberdeen are a good side, they pushed Celtic for a long period last season and they'll be tough to beat. Views on Scottish football vary, but I recall Dundee Utd rocking up to the Turf for a friendly a few years ago, and they beat us. I was as surprised as I was ignorant at the final whistle as I never expected them to leave with any sort of positive result. They looked a reasonable side.

Well, safe journeys to all. I'm sure we'll raise the roof and it'll be a memorable night. It's Radio 5 Live for me.

And the Dons who have frequented this board since the draw, you have been a credit to your club (mainly, lol) so good luck to you too. I hope your foray into Europe is a short one but that your season is a fine one overall.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:29 pm

Nice article.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 pm

You've summed it all up, Tony. When you think about the situation the club and team were in at the end of Sean Dyche's first six months at TM anybody suggesting that we'd be about to embark on a European adventure through our PL position five years later would have been either laughed at or put in the stocks or both.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:43 am

Spijed wrote:I never thought I'd see us play in the Premier league, I never thought I'd see us play in Europe.

What next?
A centre half. Times like these eh

Red Don
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Red Don » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:23 am

Morning lads...another Dons fan here.

I've been a casual reader of your board over the last few weeks, but I registered this morning after reading Tony's excellent article.

It reminded me a bit of how I felt as a Dons fan around 40 years ago, before heading to my first European game at Pittodrie (which we won, but still went out :-)

I was fortunate enough to be in Gothenburg to see my team beat Real Madrid to win a European trophy, and nothing, ever will surpass that feeling.... European football's a great thing, and I hope that each and every one of you has a great time in our city, and enjoys the experience of watching your team play in Europe.

Obviously, I hope Aberdeen win....but I'm not putting my mortgage on it and Burnley are rightly strong favourites. If you get past us, I'm sure you'll 'do a Fulham' and go far, so I suspect there'll be plenty for you lads and lassies to enjoy.

I've never been to your part of the world, but I'm looking forward to visiting Burnley next week. I'm a big cricket fan and I'll definitely be popping into the cricket club to see where Jimmy Anderson learned his game.

Anyways, to those of you in Aberdeen...enjoy your day, and looking forward to sinking a pint or two with a few you next week.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1486 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am

Fao Capt John as you know we were there to watch us thrash Napoli and we will be in our usual seats for Montpellier then Aberdeen see you on the Turf