Dyche interview on sky

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Dyche interview on sky

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:33 pm

claretspice wrote:No-one is placing too much emphasis on it. But its an example of what can swing a deal. As I say, this is one example symptom of a wider problem - these things drink time, and the more deals a small team are trying to get over the line in one go, the less capacity they have to get any of them done. Meeting players to clinch a deal is only one part of the equation and its an example.

Of course, many of these deals have been cooking for a while. But that doesn't mean to say the final steps don't require (or might not) some intensive support. And of course, it would be easier if we'd managed to wrap one or two up earlier. That's just plain common sense.
You have nailed it Spice.

Not only that - its not exactly ideal in another way. Dyche and the team should be focussing on a huge game against Aberdeen and a potentially even bigger game against Istanbul. They cant give that AND transfers 100% focus.

Its a shambles really.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm

tiger76 wrote:Burnley

Sticking with Sky for a minute, they've spoken to Clarets boss Sean Dyche.

Burnley are the only top flight club to have not yet made a signing and Dyche did not sound in any rush to change that unless he gets the players he wants.

"We're open minded with the number we're looking to bring in," he said. "But when everyone is fit you look around and think 'actually this is a good group'.

"We have challenges which does stretch it but we won't just bring in players for the sake of it.

"We need players who will actually improve us."

The key phrase there being when everyone is fit,which the're not and may not be for some weeks,doesn't sound like we will panic buy from those quotes.

And yes we are not the only top flight yet to complete a signing,neither have Spurs.
Great man management there. He is bigging up his existing players, and rightly so. They are good players and a top group. But I dont for one second think he would be happy to start August 10th with just them.

He is also probably trying his poker face there re budgets. As in telling other clubs we wont spend for the sake of it. The reality is we will probably end up having to!
This user liked this post: jojomk1

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:21 pm

claretspice wrote:No-one is placing too much emphasis on it. But its an example of what can swing a deal. As I say, this is one example symptom of a wider problem - these things drink time, and the more deals a small team are trying to get over the line in one go, the less capacity they have to get any of them done. Meeting players to clinch a deal is only one part of the equation and its an example.

Of course, many of these deals have been cooking for a while. But that doesn't mean to say the final steps don't require (or might not) some intensive support. And of course, it would be easier if we'd managed to wrap one or two up earlier. That's just plain common sense.
by too much emphasis, i really meant no emphasis whatsoever - barton was a fairly unique situation.

the point is that our targets are aware of our interest and have been aware long enough for them to have an idea about whether or not they'll want to sign for us. a face to face meeting with the manager on deadline day isn't going to swing, especially as if they've anything about them, they'll notice we've involved in an important game.

i know meeting players is just one example but its a pretty extreme example. again, the point is that most of the work on any signing is done in advance. in our case it will be more a case of waiting for other things to fall into place than anything else.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:35 pm

tiger76 wrote:Burnley

Sticking with Sky for a minute, they've spoken to Clarets boss Sean Dyche.

Burnley are the only top flight club to have not yet made a signing and Dyche did not sound in any rush to change that unless he gets the players he wants.

"We're open minded with the number we're looking to bring in," he said. "But when everyone is fit you look around and think 'actually this is a good group'.

"We have challenges which does stretch it but we won't just bring in players for the sake of it.

"We need players who will actually improve us."

The key phrase there being when everyone is fit,which the're not and may not be for some weeks,doesn't sound like we will panic buy from those quotes.

And yes we are not the only top flight yet to complete a signing,neither have Spurs.
I wouldn't know but do Spurs like us have a few injuries and a small squad?

In other words do Spurs need to sign any players?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm

mkmel wrote:I wouldn't know but do Spurs like us have a few injuries and a small squad?

In other words do Spurs need to sign any players?
Donna depends on their ambitions i suppose,there is talk of some more leaving them as well,Tripps for one.
I would have thought Tottenham fans expected signings in this window,but maybe they are content.they often do their business late anyway.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:46 pm

mkmel wrote:In other words do Spurs need to sign any players?
To stay in the top four? Almost certainly.

They have a different target to us.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:48 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:by too much emphasis, i really meant no emphasis whatsoever - barton was a fairly unique situation.

the point is that our targets are aware of our interest and have been aware long enough for them to have an idea about whether or not they'll want to sign for us. a face to face meeting with the manager on deadline day isn't going to swing, especially as if they've anything about them, they'll notice we've involved in an important game.

i know meeting players is just one example but its a pretty extreme example. again, the point is that most of the work on any signing is done in advance. in our case it will be more a case of waiting for other things to fall into place than anything else.

We'll agree to disagree then Quoon. Things that have been agreed regularly get unagreed. And then the onus is on us to re-do the deal if we still want the player.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

claretspice wrote:We'll agree to disagree then Quoon. Things that have been agreed regularly get unagreed. And then the onus is on us to re-do the deal if we still want the player.
You'd like to think that if we are after Jay-Rod then the only thing stopping us signing him is WBA as we'll have been able to agree his contract before now.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:56 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:by too much emphasis, i really meant no emphasis whatsoever - barton was a fairly unique situation.

I cant believe people underestimate the meeting the manager part. Especially with a manager as impressive as ours. Players not only play for money but also want to play for certain managers.

Keane will definitely have chosen Everton over Leicester because of the prospect of playing for Koeman. Granted that didnt end well. But it is a major reason in why certain deals will be done.

If Dyche isnt a key part of our negotiations then we are missing a trick!

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:02 pm

Spijed wrote:You'd like to think that if we are after Jay-Rod then the only thing stopping us signing him is WBA as we'll have been able to agree his contract before now.
I could be wrong but are we the only club that has difficulty buying players from West Brom?

Watford didn't seem to have too much trouble signing Ben Foster for instance

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:05 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I cant believe people underestimate the meeting the manager part. Especially with a manager as impressive as ours. Players not only play for money but also want to play for certain managers.
nobody is underestimating how influential dyche is, he's our USP. in fact i think we're all getting a bit cross-purposed here as we're talking extremes and we all essentially want the same end result.

its speaking to him that's most important, it doesn't need to be face to face. and as i say, its not like they just wheel dyche in as the finishing move, he'll have had some "involvement" before then, shall we say.

anyway, FWIW i think we'll get things done before we leave for istanbul, if we're going. as i said earlier, seems a bit pointless wazzing on about something that hasn't happened yet so maybe re-visit it in 10 days time.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Agree on the last point definitely

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 pm

mkmel wrote:I could be wrong but are we the only club that has difficulty buying players from West Brom?

Watford didn't seem to have too much trouble signing Ben Foster for instance
Or Leicester with Evans
Or Stoke with McClean

spamalittle
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by spamalittle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Let's call it quits with West Brom and try a club we can do business with like Notts Forest.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32540 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Steddyman wrote:This excuse always makes me laugh and is usually spun out by the clapper brigade. At the same time they like to remind us we are a stable club who finished 7th and qualified for Europe and are not relegation favourites this year.

Is it the location then that is our issue? Blackburn must be far more beautiful that Burnley then because they never had any issues attracting players
So you aren't happy with finishing 7th in the Premier League and qualifying for Europe, but you are envious of the fact that Blackburn can sign players to play at a lower level. Give me strength.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Great Manager is Sean Dyche. You can lose your blob over this interview on sky all you want but look at Dyche’s history when he’s asked questions about Transfers and Injuries. He can talk to the press for twenty minutes and pass on to us fans the square root of **** all !

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:So you aren't happy with finishing 7th in the Premier League and qualifying for Europe, but you are envious of the fact that Blackburn can sign players to play at a lower level. Give me strength.
Would you still back our recruitment this summer if we're relegated due to not strengthening and standing still?

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm

You can't compare championship club making signings compared to premiership clubs. I think even SD will be fustrated at the lack of new recruits. We've been there before and no doubt may go there again but it's the reality of this league and the money that some clubs can throw at it.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:10 pm

beddie wrote:You can't compare championship club making signings compared to premiership clubs. I think even SD will be fustrated at the lack of new recruits. We've been there before and no doubt may go there again but it's the reality of this league and the money that some clubs can throw at it.
Some clubs? You mean every other club in the Prem except us....including spurs as they are spending 500 million plus on a new stadium

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Braindead wrote:I have said this in previous windows, my concern is that Dyche seems to only target a small group of players on his wishlist and when inevitably we get gazumped by another club we then seem to scramble about to get bodies over the line late on in the window.

We should have a minimum of five players in mind for each position we target, but we don't, we spend five weeks getting fcked over by the likes of WBA and Swansea for Dawson and Mawson then end up rummaging around for players.
Missed this post earlier,we do seem to cast our net thinly,whether this is due to Dyche or the board,it does hinder us if we can't get deals over the line early,we spend too long chasing targets that probably won't come,we've been here with Dawson and WBA before and it didn't end well. :roll:

Still 9/10 days to go but unless we pull some irons out of the fire it could be a long winter.
Last edited by tiger76 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Some clubs? You mean every other club in the Prem except us....including spurs as they are spending 500 million plus on a new stadium
We have a higher net transfer spend than four other PL clubs this window.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Some clubs? You mean every other club in the Prem except us....including spurs as they are spending 500 million plus on a new stadium
:lol: Well if you’re counting a new stadium as a signing here goes.

Were building 2 corner stands, a new frontage on the bob lord and a memorial garden. So thats FOUR signings already.
This user liked this post: dsr

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:17 pm

Tall Paul wrote:We have a higher net transfer spend than four other PL clubs this window.
Go on then I will bite.....how so?

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Go on then I will bite.....how so?
https://www.twitter.com/sportingintel/s ... 0589512710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10078 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:20 pm

summitclaret wrote:God. People are getting desperate now to defend tbe club. Is the best you can do?
People who defend the club and are prepared to see how the remaining days of the transfer window pans are referred to as the ridiculously tiresome 'happy clappers'
So by default, does that mean those on the opposite side of the track are 'miserable clappers?'

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Tall Paul wrote:We have a higher net transfer spend than four other PL clubs this window.
So net spend doesn't matter when talking about Liverpool spending big but now it's about Burnley not spending at all it's relevant, makes sense and just about sums you up... you will say black is white just to argue.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Juan Tanamera wrote:People who defend the club and are prepared to see how the remaining days of the transfer window pans are referred to as the ridiculously tiresome 'happy clappers'
So by default, does that mean those on the opposite side of the track are 'miserable clappers?'
I'd consider myself to be in the middle,but over the last few days even my hope is fading of signing genuine first-team contenders,if we know the likes of Dawson and Mawson want X amount per week,if this is outwith our current wage structure,we are we still chasing them,and not looking at alternatives.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:37 pm

KRBFC wrote:So net spend doesn't matter when talking about Liverpool spending big but now it's about Burnley not spending at all it's relevant, makes sense and just about sums you up... you will say black is white just to argue.
Good effort, but wide of the mark I'm afraid. Liverpool's net spend didn't matter when I was calling out Klopp for saying he didn't want to pay huge fees for players then doing exactly that

It does matter when comparing clubs' transfer spending in a transfer window.

And no, I wouldn't say black is white because that would make me a liar, just like you.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm

KRBFC wrote:Would you still back our recruitment this summer if we're relegated due to not strengthening and standing still?
Isn't pre-season a bit early to start moaning about relegation? Wouldn't we be better waiting till we've played at least a couple of games, one home and one away, before writing the season off?

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 pm

dsr wrote:Isn't pre-season a bit early to start moaning about relegation? Wouldn't we be better waiting till we've played at least a couple of games, one home and one away, before writing the season off?
Did he moan about relegation or about recruitment?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 pm

dsr wrote:Isn't pre-season a bit early to start moaning about relegation? Wouldn't we be better waiting till we've played at least a couple of games, one home and one away, before writing the season off?
I didn't write the season off, I asked a hypothetical question? I didn't even say I think we'll get relegated hence the use of the word ''if''.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 pm

Why the need to deliberately misrepresent what he said. I say deliberately as im sure youre intelligent enough to understand what his post was actually asking and looking to get at

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 pm

KRBFC wrote:I didn't write the season off, I asked a hypothetical question? I didn't even say I think we'll get relegated hence the use of the word ''if''.
In that case, I'll answer it with a hypothetical question of my own. If this season's transfer policy means that we finish in the top 4 and win a cup, would you still call out our recruiting policy?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:04 pm

dsr wrote:In that case, I'll answer it with a hypothetical question of my own. If this season's transfer policy means that we finish in the top 4 and win a cup, would you still call out our recruiting policy?
If we bring in a few players and finish 4th and win a cup, I'll hold my hands up and say the recruitment was spot on.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Why the need to deliberately misrepresent what he said. I say deliberately as im sure youre intelligent enough to understand what his post was actually asking and looking to get at
Of course I know what his post was on about. It was on about his belief that the current transfer window is so bad that it might lead to relegation.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:06 pm

KRBFC wrote:If we bring in a few players and finish 4th and win a cup, I'll hold my hands up and say the recruitment was spot on.
Good for you. Because as far as I can see, this transfer window is going very like most of Sean Dyche's other transfer windows, and they were almost universally successful. January 15 excepted. But taken as a series, Dyche's transfer windows have been successful beyond our wildest dreams (for most of us), and I hope and expect this one to continue that way.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 pm

dsr wrote:Of course I know what his post was on about. It was on about his belief that the current transfer window is so bad that it might lead to relegation.
I thought it was more about at what point would the people who put a positive spin on everything be prepared to criticise something and relegation was the most extreme example to use

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I thought it was more about at what point would the people who put a positive spin on everything be prepared to criticise something and relegation was the most extreme example to use
Even so, it was talking about relegation. It wasn't talking about the likelihood of success.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 pm

dsr wrote:Even so, it was talking about relegation. It wasn't talking about the likelihood of success.
Of course he wasnt talking about the likelihood of success cos that was not what the point of his post was about.

So to answer my original question why did you feel the need to misrepresent his post deliberately?

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Of course he wasnt talking about the likelihood of success cos that was not what the point of his post was about.

So to answer my original question why did you feel the need to misrepresent his post deliberately?
Absolutely my point also. School ground bullying

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Of course he wasnt talking about the likelihood of success cos that was not what the point of his post was about.

No, he was talking about the likelihood of relegation. I don't quite get the "deliberate misprepresentation" point. You are saying that the post was not about the likelihood of success; I am saying that it was about the likelihood of relegation. Is that such a big jump? The post, as KR has made clear on his own account, was a hypothetical question about what would be considered failure, and as I have emphasised, suggested that relegation was a serious possibility.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 pm

dsr wrote:No, he was talking about the likelihood of relegation. I don't quite get the "deliberate misprepresentation" point. You are saying that the post was not about the likelihood of success; I am saying that it was about the likelihood of relegation. Is that such a big jump? The post, as KR has made clear on his own account, was a hypothetical question about what would be considered failure, and as I have emphasised, suggested that relegation was a serious possibility.
He wasnt talking about the liklehood of relegation and he definitely wasnt moaning about relegation like you stated he was. He was obviously questioning people who no matter how bad things look will still not be critical of the club and the ultimate test of this was would they still hold this view in the extremest case of relegation

Look if you honestly dont understand the point he was making then fair enough you may not have deliberately misrepresented him but I am surprised that someone who comes across as a reasonably intelligent person isnt able to grasp something so basic.

Still guess that clears that up so i'll leave you to it

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:43 pm

Bfcboyo wrote:Ive edited this for you and also put a few points in our earlier tateta.

Oh how clever of you. Thanks ever so much.

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Steddyman wrote:This excuse always makes me laugh and is usually spun out by the clapper brigade. At the same time they like to remind us we are a stable club who finished 7th and qualified for Europe and are not relegation favourites this year.

Is it the location then that is our issue? Blackburn must be far more beautiful that Burnley then because they never had any issues attracting players. Hudderfield don't seem to be having issues, again it must be because they are so much more attractive than Burnley.
A fact is only an excuse when it does not suit your point of view, the solid supporters only remind you because you appear to have forgotten or chose to ignore them. Burnley will not be the first choice club for most PL quality players, but SD will find the ones that fit.

You mean the B*rsteds when Jack was splashing the cash. Perhaps Town are doing the same, I don't care. I will draw my conclusions when the window has closed.

Steady man(?)

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:47 am

To be honest. Althpugh we finoshed 7th last season and that is a fact, there is no reazon why that will be repeated - i would like to think we will push for top half again but we are potentially in a weaker poaition to do so this season.

We have lost Arfield who contributed a fair few ppints early doors. We have at least 3 firat team players in their last year pf contracts - and a crucial one of whom looks like he isnt interested in signing. We have 5 key players injured and we dont know when they will be back.

Not getting replacements for at least those exiting means we are weaker than last season and weaker in depth. If we dont prepare for next year as well we cpuld jave to do a lot more over the next 12 months

Its all ifs and butsbso things may work out ok. But right now with the clock ticking and a key target beong gazumped and the others at West Brom who we have history of being sicked about with does not full me with confidence.

If we pull Jayrod, Clucas and Dawson i would be reasonably happy. If we dont get those byt get alternatives ditto. If we only land 1 or 2 of those i wpuld say its been a poor poor window.

Finishing 7th has zero relevance to next season. See West Brom for that "fact" (althoigh they werre 8th)

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:56 am

KRBFC wrote:Would you still back our recruitment this summer if we're relegated due to not strengthening and standing still?
How do you determine that the reason we are relegated is because we didn’t recruit and have stood still? The team we have now were good enough to finish 7th

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Jarod, clucks, Dawson - bodies to fill the bench or first team regulars? It’s a lot of money to pay for impact subs.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:Finishing 7th has zero relevance to next season. See West Brom for that "fact" (although they were 8th)
That's true. So if we spend £40m on five new players, we might do what West Brom did? ;)

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:12 pm

dsr wrote:That's true. So if we spend £40m on five new players, we might do what West Brom did? ;)
Of course we might. Thats the point. Last season was great. We made some solid (unspectacular) sigmings but improved. Thats why I am totally ok with the solid unspectacular targets we have.

However we need to land them. And we need Brady, Tom and Defour back.

Its all "what if" here and usually i am pretty positive. But right now our main squad looks weaker. There's no "what if we get injuries" because we have injuries - the "what if" now is about recovery and having a squad ready to hit the ground running in a week and a half.

Its getting quite tight because previously we have been able to bring in players after we kicked off - Wood, Hendrick, Keane all came in after season kicked off. We cant change that but its a bit churlish puttimg down people's concerns with a kind of "we'll be reyt - we did really well last year" mentality. Im sure West Brom Stoke and Southampton all thought that last season.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:How do you determine that the reason we are relegated is because we didn’t recruit and have stood still? The team we have now were good enough to finish 7th
Except that team has lost Arfield, Defour, Brady, Barnes, Pope (as we stand). We have gained Lennon instead of Scotty but we are still light