Dyche: Difficult to compete with transfers long term

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Re: Dyche: Difficult to compete with transfers long term

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 am

The article sums up the way I feel.
I was confident last June, but the way the market has gone has left us in the mire.
I've always appreciated the way the club has been run prudently. I've agreed with the board all the way. Until now.
The market has moved, as it does every year, we have to move with it. It isn't a question of saving some for a rainy day, because if we don't spend it now, the rainy day is here.
Other clubs, the usual, are buying 4/5/6 players at 20mill plus. We can't, but we can buy 1 or 2, which is all we need to improve the squad.
I only hope it isn't too late because if we get off to a bad start, no amount of money will save us in January.

John Johnson 1605
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by John Johnson 1605 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 am

If it be your will wrote:I think Dyche is an astute bloke. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I interpret the whole article as 'expectations management'. 7th was astonishing. Maybe in time we can expect to finish 7th, but not yet. I think he's trying to reset ambitions where we consider 17th a success, just like we would have done this time last year. (I'd take 17th this season, if offered.)
Absolutely spot on.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 am

IndigoLake wrote:I don't think Dyche or the board can have any excuses. We've long known the market we're in and had years to improve our scouting setup. Either we've failed to do so or Dyche is being too stubborn regarding signing players from abroad. What makes it all the more frustrating is that we've had a long time to prepare after confirming our PL safety. Last season's finish should have made this our best-ever chance to attract quality players. It's quite incredible we're struggling on this scale.

I was feeling confident we'd bring in the players needed but having read multiple articles with less-than-optimistic quotes from Dyche, I'm not so sure now. If we don't sign players then I think we'll be having an early exit from the Europa League and certainly can't expect a cup run as our squad is too small in its present state.
I too cant believe it as i thought this was the window to make a bit of a statement and punch on to maybe the next level - we are currently going backwards before a ball has been kicked and god help us if we get knocked out tonight as it could well happen.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:59 am

The main issue must be the wages obviously.

But I can't help thinking that we are missing a trick here. Over the last few seasons, players have appreciated as assets by at least 2 or 3 fold in some cases.

For example Richarlison to Watford £11 million - sold for £50 million
Andre Grey £6 million - Sold for £18 million
Keane - £3 million - Sold for £30 million

Those are just 3 quick examples.

It sort of begs the question why we haven't been more flexible with our purchases, as the odds are that they will vastly appreciate as assets over the coming years. This is why teams such as City and Chelsea stockpile players, as they know they will be able to sell them for vast profits anyway.

Mawson would be a perfect example. If we'd have signed him, he will be worth a lot more next season, as the market moves. Dawson and Jay are more of a risk due to their ages.

But surely we can find 3-4 players to spend relatively big on who (if needs be) we can move on for a profit in the coming years?

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Ric_C wrote:The main issue must be the wages obviously.

But I can't help thinking that we are missing a trick here. Over the last few seasons, players have appreciated as assets by at least 2 or 3 fold in some cases.

For example Richarlison to Watford £11 million - sold for £50 million

Those are just 3 quick examples.

It sort of begs the question why we haven't been more flexible with our purchases, as the odds are that they will vastly appreciate as assets over the coming years. This is why teams such as City and Chelsea stockpile players, as they know they will be able to sell them for vast profits anyway.

Mawson would be a perfect example. If we'd have signed him, he will be worth a lot more next season, as the market moves. Dawson and Jay are more of a risk due to their ages.

But surely we can find 3-4 players to spend relatively big on who (if needs be) we can move on for a profit in the coming years?
If your figures are correct, that’s a 40 million pound profit on Gray and Keane. Buying Rodriguez and Dawson would then theoretically cost nothing. Just sign them up.
Last edited by dermotdermot on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:17 pm

jlup1980 wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... ball_clubs

This gives us an idea what we're up against. 14 of the 20 PL clubs are back by Billionaire owners. Of the rest we are well adrift at the bottom in terms of wealth. The combined wealth of Garlick and Banaszkiewicz is said to be around $80m (approx £60m) and according to this list that puts us $320m behind the next "un-wealthiest" in Gino Pozzo at Watford. Run through the list for each division and you'll find that there are wealthier backers than ours in each of the four Divisions. Finishing 7th last season was a miracle; just being in the PL is a miracle to be honest!

I want us to sign players as much as the next man but it makes you think when you consider a £20m fee is equal to approximately a third of the combined wealth of our owners! We are so reliant on the TV revenue we receive and not just for this season but for many seasons to come. We're still a club who cannot afford to bet the ranch on staying in the PL. It'd be the road to ruin.
That means nothing for example - Preston's record transfer is 1.2 million and that was 20 years ago so forget half of them numbers yet Heemings is worth what 340 million.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 856 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:24 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:That means nothing for example - Preston's record transfer is 1.2 million and that was 20 years ago so forget half of them numbers yet Heemings is worth what 340 million.
I'd say it means quite a lot. If we spend £50m this summer on three signings and they all get put on £40k a week, 4 year contracts, it would cost the club more like £75m in total.

Let's say, for arguments sake, we get relegated this season, how does our Board fund it? Yes we'll get a nice chunk again this season and there are parachute payments, but we don't have the wealth on the Board to keep us running our current wage bill on top of 3 or 4 major additions. We'd immediately being throwing water out of the ship to stay afloat.

Danny Ings is rumoured to be going for £24m. Is that what £24m gets you these days?!! If it is I'd rather we sign 3 or 4 on free transfers and let everyone else buy themselves into oblivion!

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:27 pm

jlup1980 wrote:I'd say it means quite a lot. If we spend £50m this summer on three signings and they all get put on £40k a week, 4 year contracts, it would cost the club more like £75m in total.

Let's say, for arguments sake, we get relegated this season, how does our Board fund it? Yes we'll get a nice chunk again this season and there are parachute payments, but we don't have the wealth on the Board to keep us running our current wage bill on top of 3 or 4 major additions. We'd immediately being throwing water out of the ship to stay afloat.

Danny Ings is rumoured to be going for £24m. Is that what £24m gets you these days?!! If it is I'd rather we sign 3 or 4 on free transfers and let everyone else buy themselves into oblivion!

Parachute payments for 4 years pal

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:28 pm

jlup1980 wrote:I'd say it means quite a lot. If we spend £50m this summer on three signings and they all get put on £40k a week, 4 year contracts, it would cost the club more like £75m in total.

Or then sell these assests - its called buisness

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:32 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Parachute payments for 4 years pal
Only three years now. 55% in first year, 45% second year and 20% in final year.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Ric_C wrote: For example Richarlison to Watford £11 million - sold for £50 million
Will Swansea get a 3x return on Andre Ayew and sell him for £69 million?

Are Stoke going to sell Kevin Wimmer for more than the £18million and 70k a week they paid? 25 year old promising defender from Spurs, sounded good on paper at the time.

Firstly you have to stay up, signings don't guarantee that.
The players you mention had a good patch or developed over time. What about those who don't, some may retain some value but an increase is by no means certain, being saddled with the costs if relegated though is.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 856 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:39 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Or then sell these assests - its called buisness
I understand where you're coming from but value for money this summer seems increasingly hard to come by. We're getting to such a late stage that prices will only go up. Being quoted £40m for Dawson and Jay Rod, Danny Ings for £24m, even Clucas at £12m... these aren't bargains and we shouldn't just buy for the sake of it.

There are bargains to be had though if we look in the right place. Lucas Perez and Lazar Markovic wouldn't cost the earth although wages could be an issue. Bakary Sako, James Collins and James Morrison are all still free agents. None of those would be inspiring signings but Morrison and Sako would replace Marney and Arfield as squad members quite nicely.

We just don't seem very sure about what we want to achieve this summer. I understand the apprehension around not paying £20m+ for relatively average players, but if that's a real concern why haven't we shifted our focus to cheaper alternatives? We don't seem to know whether to stick or twist!

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:25 pm

People keep holding up Parachute Payments as though they are the be all and end all. They are there to prevent TOTAL club meltdown. ALL the structures within a relegated Premier Club going into complete meltdown with the hit at all levels relegation means. It does not and was never meant to cover the club so it carries on at Premiership levels for a couple of years. There are hundreds of jobs at risk through relegation. Not throwing money about means the hit should it come we will be sustainable for a couple of years.... and give us a genuine opportunity to immediately mount another Promotion Challenge.

I'd like to see three or four arrive before the season kicks out but all this spitting dummies out that we're not slaying everyone in the market is just crazy talk. I have no doubt all involved are doing their very best for the club, and I trust those at the club more than a know- it -all sat in his bedroom on a keyboard, no matter what they seem to think of themselves.