£8m bid for Clucas in - Nixon

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Re: £8m bid for Clucas in - Nixon

Post by Steddyman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:49 pm

I remember it at the time:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-11952202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: CleggHall

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm

OfficialSLB - linking thumb and forefinger in a “keyhole” and spying through. A few others did it - a viral YouTube type thing

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm

for something to do while we wait, click on the "manage cookies" on that walesonline link and be amazed at how your acceptance of them is used

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Another nixon called first..... Yet he knows nowt about our dealings apparently :D :D
This user liked this post: Steddyman

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm

IndigoLake wrote:That's interesting about the celebration. Hadn't heard about that before.
I've read that one before. Maybe it was his decision to claim ignorance of the gestures connotations or maybe his half hearted admission and apology was part of a club directive. Then again he could have been genuinely "clueless" about the gesture and the implications of making it in his role as a professional athlete. I personally doubt that one, but who knows.

Whatever his motivations for doing it were it was a slightly sordid affair that didn't picture him in the best light, but he wasn't the only footballer to make that gesture as a goal celebration around that time. Step forward Charlie Austin.

The report doesn't mention his partiality to a night out or the well documented difficulties that he has had with social media and his tendency to take criticism to heart. It is interesting to note that that both of those questionable goal celebrations came after a prolonged period of heavy criticism from the Swansea fans over his ability to perform.

No matter how I look at it I really can't see how Sam ticks our important "personality" checklist. He strikes me as a player with a somewhat weak mentality. His rapid rise through the league tiers (albeit after a slow and stuttering start) has frequently placed him in a position where he has had prove himself worthy of the opportunity he has been given to step up. This could be seen as a hunger and strength in adversity personality, but that really doesn't seem to fit.

I think it's more a case of his agent consistently securing good moves that have put him in positions where he has had to sink or swim. This has taken him from League 2, which was beneath his playing ability, and into the Premiership, which he isn't good enough for.

There is a big difference between a strong personality and a duck that is frantically paddling beneath the water to stay afloat with only a modicum of success, especially when money and stature are involved. Really good agent, an average Championship player, not good enough for the EPL - but we seem to be desperate. Swansea will use the money we give them to bring in a player that is younger, better and probably on lower wages (Sam is 28 in a month).

A body for the bench who is looking to sign a contract that will allow him to see out the next three or four years on a Premier League wage. He is unhappy at Swansea and I think both him and his agent know that if he stays another year he will see far less game time, which would conclude with a move to a Championship club next season for a far lesser contract than we might be willing to offer him.

Even at this late stage in the window we could do a lot better for £8m, instead of giving Sam a third chance to justify a lucrative contract and a position in the EPL. I strongly suspect that we will be the next club sign him though :(
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:51 pm

" a somewhat weak mentality " How on earth do you know that ?

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:I've read that one before. Maybe it was his decision to claim ignorance of the gestures connotations or maybe his half hearted admission and apology was part of a club directive. Then again he could have been genuinely "clueless" about the gesture and the implications of making it in his role as a professional athlete. I personally doubt that one, but who knows.

Whatever his motivations for doing it were it was a slightly sordid affair that didn't picture him in the best light, but he wasn't the only footballer to make that gesture as a goal celebration around that time. Step forward Charlie Austin.

The report doesn't mention his partiality to a night out or the well documented difficulties that he has had with social media and his tendency to take criticism to heart. It is interesting to note that that both of those questionable goal celebrations came after a prolonged period of heavy criticism from the Swansea fans over his ability to perform.

No matter how I look at it I really can't see how Sam ticks our important "personality" checklist. He strikes me as a player with a somewhat weak mentality. His rapid rise through the league tiers (albeit after a slow and stuttering start) has frequently placed him in a position where he has had prove himself worthy of the opportunity he has been given to step up. This could be seen as a hunger and strength in adversity personality, but that really doesn't seem to fit.

I think it's more a case of his agent consistently securing good moves that have put him in positions where he has had to sink or swim. This has taken him from League 2, which was beneath his playing ability, and into the Premiership, which he isn't good enough for.

There is a big difference between a strong personality and a duck that is frantically paddling beneath the water to stay afloat with only a modicum of success, especially when money and stature are involved. Really good agent, an average Championship player, not good enough for the EPL - but we seem to be desperate. Swansea will use the money we give them to bring in a player that is younger, better and probably on lower wages (Sam is 28 in a month).

A body for the bench who is looking to sign a contract that will allow him to see out the next three or four years on a Premier League wage. He is unhappy at Swansea and I think both him and his agent know that if he stays another year he will see far less game time, which would conclude with a move to a Championship club next season for a far lesser contract than we might be willing to offer him.

Even at this late stage in the window we could do a lot better for £8m, instead of giving Sam a third chance to justify a lucrative contract and a position in the EPL. I strongly suspect that we will be the next club sign him though :(
Tart

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by IndigoLake » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:I've read that one before. Maybe it was his decision to claim ignorance of the gestures connotations or maybe his half hearted admission and apology was part of a club directive. Then again he could have been genuinely "clueless" about the gesture and the implications of making it in his role as a professional athlete. I personally doubt that one, but who knows.

You're the new claretspice, Long Time Lurker! (In reference to his often lengthy posts). Certainly don't mean that as an insult though as I enjoy his posts and often find myself agreeing with them.

With regard to the mentality of Clucas, I feel confident Dyche knows what he's getting. He tried to sign him last summer and he's obviously not been phased by any of the things you've mentioned (all of which were news to me!).

One thing I would say in Clucas' favour is that he obviously has some very important traits because he was rejected as a young lad by Leicester and multiple other clubs as being 'too short' but has since gone on to do well for himself. He attended the Glen Hoddle Academy and worked his way up through the football leagues - I think that's something to be admired and Dyche will surely appreciate that. So I'm not sure I agree with your view on his character in that sense. Of course, his agent may well have worked wonders but his performances obviously warranted the moves he was getting.

I agree we could probably do better for the money by bringing in a player such as the one that Swansea are eyeing as the replacement of Clucas. However, Dyche has a habit of maximising the ability of players and I'm sure he will do well for us if given the chance. And at the end of the day, he may well be cover for left and central midfield - I'd be more than okay with that. I guess time will tell eh! :)

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Claretmatt4 wrote:Tart
Abuse, Abuse, Abuse

Claretmatt4 is obviously casting aspersions on my masculinity and directing a demeaning comment towards me, simply because I have a penchant for dressing in Pantomime dame outfits for my weekly shopping trips to Morrisons.

Oh yes he is!

Ok, I have clamed down now and I am okay with his desire to express his opinion.

Now where did I put my Carmen Miranda epaulettes, I need to buy some fruity ice pops.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Claretmatt4

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:38 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:" a somewhat weak mentality " How on earth do you know that ?
https://www.herefordtimes.com/sport/161 ... rly_years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He just strikes me as being a bit fragile in terms of his general confidence. Agreed, it is a supposition on my part, but he has experienced a similar problem at Swansea as well. Criticism which led to a state of unhappiness which resulted in a decrease in performance.

Although his ridiculously high price tag probably fed into unrealistic expectations for the Swansea fans.

It's just something we, the fans, might benefit from being aware of if he does come here. People respond to criticism in different ways and not all of them are good. Regardless of what I think of him at this juncture, and my well intentioned belief that £8m and any potential wages might be better off going to a different incoming, he will get my full support if he does sign.

I just hope that others take note, because comments on players can get a bit nasty on here sometimes and that might not help us get the best out of him.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:https://www.herefordtimes.com/sport/161 ... rly_years/

He just strikes me as being a bit fragile in terms of his general confidence. Agreed, it is a supposition on my part, but he has experienced a similar problem at Swansea as well. Criticism which led to a state of unhappiness which resulted in a decrease in performance.

Although his ridiculously high price tag probably fed into unrealistic expectations for the Swansea fans.

It's just something we, the fans, might benefit from being aware of if he does come here. People respond to criticism in different ways and not all of them are good. Regardless of what I think of him at this juncture, and my well intentioned belief that £8m and any potential wages might be better off going to a different incoming, he will get my full support if he does sign.

I just hope that others take note, because comments on players can get a bit nasty on here sometimes and that might not help us get the best out of him.
Has he registered on the site yet?

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Clucas is heading for the Barnfield training centre this evening.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:08 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:Clucas is heading for the Barnfield training centre this evening.
According to who?

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:09 pm

DCWat wrote:Has he registered on the site yet?
Have we signed him yet?

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:14 pm

You need a strong mentality to read some of the stuff posted on here even if you"re not a player

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8737 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Medical underway.

Defour replacement....

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:40 pm

IanMcL wrote:Medical underway.

Defour replacement....
We haven't even replaced the numbers who have left after the end of last season so let's not start incomings by replacing some of our present squad please

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:43 pm

I am not suggesting it is something I want. Just a very possible outcome. Defour has been singing out for China and the money, for a long, long time.

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:43 pm

He signs monday

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Dyche type player. Should be a solid if uninspiring signing

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote: He just strikes me as being a bit fragile in terms of his general confidence
Is this a la Bamford. Will he sit in his car crying and playing the violin?
This user liked this post: ElectroClaret

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 pm

IanMcL wrote: Defour has been singing out for China and the money, for a long, long time.
I think the only China SD will be involved with for a long time is when his missus tells him to grab the Fairy Liquid.

That or the local chippy.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:59 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:I think the only China SD will be involved with for a long time is when his missus tells him to grab the Fairy Liquid.

That or the local chippy.
We can only hope and I would hate to have been proved right.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:29 pm

piston broke wrote:Is this a la Bamford. Will he sit in his car crying and playing the violin?
Nah, Bamford is a one in a million wuss.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:15 pm

IanMcL wrote:We can only hope and I would hate to have been proved right.

Agree with this.

I was in Las Vegas in June and spoke to SDs old Belgian coach when he was a teenager. The guy used to coach de bruyne,hazard and kompany etc and I was left with the impression that SD may not be here much longer...he didn’t outright say it but it could definitely be inferred from the chat we had

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Hibs as in Hibernian Claret?

Edit

Maybe not, I was wondering what some of our Scottish posters thought about John McGinn as a left footed alternative to Clucas in centre midfield.

Don't know much about the lad myself, other than Celtic and possibly Brighton (could be nonsense) are rumoured to be chasing him.

£2-3m and a 6 month immediate load back to Hibs wouldn't be beyond us as a punt if he is any good.

Maybe I've just caught the Scottish love bug.
Last edited by Long Time Lurker on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Agree with this.

I was in Las Vegas in June and spoke to SDs old Belgian coach when he was a teenager. The guy used to coach de bruyne,hazard and kompany etc and I was left with the impression that SD may not be here much longer...he didn’t outright say it but it could definitely be inferred from the chat we had
I don’t doubt you but surely we would be looking for a replacement. Clucas is surely scottys replacement and we’ve not been linked with any other midfielders

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:37 pm

andyh wrote:I don’t doubt you but surely we would be looking for a replacement. Clucas is surely scottys replacement and we’ve not been linked with any other midfielders
Agree we would/should be looking. Dyche always says quite rightly that you get deals done when you can and given the difficulties we may be looking and not finding

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:39 pm

Clucas is pap. Just another big physical dychesque type player. We’ve enough of them at the club crying out
For some flair

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Right_winger wrote:Clucas is pap. Just another big physical dychesque type player. We’ve enough of them at the club crying out
For some flair
Big and physical? Clucas?? Are you certain?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Right_winger wrote:Clucas is pap. Just another big physical dychesque type player. We’ve enough of them at the club crying out
For some flair
Do you actually know who Clucas is ?

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 pm

For some flair
Should have gone to Specsavers

You just like moaning!

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:53 pm

For some flair
:D you do wonder at times haha
This user liked this post: burnley007

Right_winger

Post by Right_winger » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:12 pm

I know exactly who clucas is. All work and hustle. Dyche type player we don’t need any more squad is full
Of them

Squarepusher
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Squarepusher » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Yeah, I agree. It's absolutely crazy how Dyche sets out to sign players that suit his tactics and style of football. When will he ever learn?

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Squarepusher wrote:Yeah, I agree. It's absolutely crazy how Dyche sets out to sign players that suit his tactics and style of football. When will he ever learn?
It's that narrow-mindedness that meant we had to settle for 7th in the Premier League. :lol:

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Clucas not in Swansea squad today. They are claiming he is injured !!

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1750 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 pm

He is injured. He’s not had a preseason.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:42 pm

agreenwood wrote:He is injured. He’s not had a preseason.
Oh no not another possible scenario like Wells :?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Could well be.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1750 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:52 pm

He had knee surgery in May. Swansea predicted a 3-month lay-off at the time.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/clucas ... es-knee-op" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:55 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Oh no not another possible scenario like Wells :?
Very similar.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/clucas ... es-knee-op" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the need to recover his fitness and get used to the new team set up it would be a couple of months before he is ready to play a part, should we sign him. The same would have been true for Mawson.

Right_winger

Post by Right_winger » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Squarepusher wrote:Yeah, I agree. It's absolutely crazy how Dyche sets out to sign players that suit his tactics and style of football. When will he ever learn?
What style hoof it and woof it? Be physical and run back with defence in mind first.

Not much style in a Dyche team. Effective yes but quite hard to watch at times and turgid against a team sitting in.

We need more flair in the side with people to take his man on or thread a through ball to a runner. We are too slow moving the ball as it is

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:05 pm

agreenwood wrote:He had knee surgery in May. Swansea predicted a 3-month lay-off at the time.

That might be why is value has fallen to £8m.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Also like Wells in that there is no known competition for his signature. Nixon was suggesting complications with his personal terms. A bit of an effin cheek if you ask me.

UTC!
Last edited by Duffer_ on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Right_winger wrote:What style hoof it and woof it? Be physical and run back with defence in mind first.

Not much style in a Dyche team. Effective yes but quite hard to watch at times and turgid against a team sitting in.

We need more flair in the side with people to take his man on or thread a through ball to a runner. We are too slow moving the ball as it is
I’ve got competition.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6589 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:13 pm

IanMcL wrote:Medical underway.

Defour replacement....
Just trying to upset those of us who appreciate SD? Poor cast, friend. We already have D4's replacement if needed... Ashley "doesn't put a foot wrong" Westwood.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Sky just said a source says " the deal has collapsed " .....

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Payback to swansea for mawson?

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Sky just said a source says " the deal has collapsed " .....
If true then we need to move on sharpish. Maybe he wants too much money.