ARTICLE: Clarets have player bids accepted and turned down

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

ARTICLE: Clarets have player bids accepted and turned down

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Nothing much that hasn't been said, just a short article on the Clucas & Jay Rod offers

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/clarets-hav ... urned-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clarets have player bids accepted and turned down

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 pm

I dont get it. All pre season we have been told by posters that personal terms are usually agreed before bids for players even go in. Yet with Clucas we have a bid accepted yet personal terms could be an issue. Not seen this very often and somehow think we have put the bid in knowing he wont come.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I dont get it. All pre season we have been told by posters that personal terms are usually agreed before bids for players even go in. Yet with Clucas we have a bid accepted yet personal terms could be an issue. Not seen this very often and somehow think we have put the bid in knowing he wont come.
Surely the normal protocol is to have a bid accepted before you can speak to the player.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:39 pm

For personal terms read greedy barsteward wanting more than they are worth. Sometimes I hate football because I love it so much. I can only cope (just about) with all the money stuff because I love the game, if I didn't love it I wouldn't have any time for it. I can understand why people who don't like the game (e.g. my wife) think that footballers are overpaid, over-indulged, self-obsessed, greedy, arrogant sh!ts who are bleeding the game dry because I think so myself sometimes.

Take no notice - I'm having a bad day.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:51 pm

You are absolutely right houseboy and my wife who similarly has no interest in football shares your wifes views. And, frankly, sometimes, it is hard to disagree.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:53 pm

agree, "the beautiful game" - couldn't be further from the truth.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32534 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:55 pm

ashtonlongsider wrote:Surely the normal protocol is to have a bid accepted before you can speak to the player.
I think the normal protocol is getting some agreement with the player's agent first.

I recall us wanting to sign Heidar Helguson from Watford in the early days of Cotterill. He asked Helguson's agent what sort of money he was on, found out it was way, way above what we could offer and therefore didn't take it any further.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:58 pm

houseboy wrote:For personal terms read greedy barsteward wanting more than they are worth. Sometimes I hate football because I love it so much. I can only cope (just about) with all the money stuff because I love the game, if I didn't love it I wouldn't have any time for it. I can understand why people who don't like the game (e.g. my wife) think that footballers are overpaid, over-indulged, self-obsessed, greedy, arrogant sh!ts who are bleeding the game dry because I think so myself sometimes.

Take no notice - I'm having a bad day.
Heres the thing. If a buying club thinks a player is worth £20m and the selling club does too. Then a player surely is within his rights to want a contract worth £20m. Afterall thats what the 2 clubs think he is worth.

I fully agree with the point your making. It only sounds wring because the levels of money are way beyond “normal” everyday amounts.

Give each club £100,000 in tv revenue. So if a club wants a player at £20,000 the player then wants a contract worth £20,000 it doesn’t look to bad.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Dyched wrote:Heres the thing. If a buying club thinks a player is worth £20m and the selling club does too. Then a player surely is within his rights to want a contract worth £20m. Afterall thats what the 2 clubs think he is worth.

I fully agree with the point your making. It only sounds wring because the levels of money are way beyond “normal” everyday amounts.

Give each club £100,000 in tv revenue. So if a club wants a player at £20,000 the player then wants a contract worth £20,000 it doesn’t look to bad.

Yep, that’s how it works.

Richardsbfc
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by Richardsbfc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:I dont get it. All pre season we have been told by posters that personal terms are usually agreed before bids for players even go in. Yet with Clucas we have a bid accepted yet personal terms could be an issue. Not seen this very often and somehow think we have put the bid in knowing he wont come.
Have you not played FM before Cleveleys? Bid Accepted then discussion around the wages ... Ask for the suggested wages then knock them down and suggest until you get the green light...

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm

ashtonlongsider wrote:Surely the normal protocol is to have a bid accepted before you can speak to the player.
Sadly it doesnt work like that. Virtually all the time the club putting the bid in has already spoke with the players agent about terms. Hence they put the bid in knowing what the player wants already. Which is why the reports that persknal terms cod be an issue makes this an odd bid. The day after Dyche makes it known in a round about way he is not happy. Think Garlick is just tryjng to make it look like he is trying but has no intention of spending any money

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Think Garlick is just tryjng to make it look like he is trying but has no intention of spending any money
**** me. When we do eventually buy a player, I suppose you'll claim that we only bought them so we could sell them for profit.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Some would have you believe that the players agent will chat to another club in some way and confirm contract details before an official transfer bid is made.
We all know it's illegal to do so, but there's a real possibility that there is some sounding out done before the bid is made, just not a contract offer/agreement.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Sadly it doesnt work like that. Virtually all the time the club putting the bid in has already spoke with the players agent about terms. Hence they put the bid in knowing what the player wants already. Which is why the reports that persknal terms cod be an issue makes this an odd bid. The day after Dyche makes it known in a round about way he is not happy. Think Garlick is just tryjng to make it look like he is trying but has no intention of spending any money
Eh, your first comment on here is about what other posters say about clubs chatting to agents first and here you are making the exact same comment..

You've got more faces than Big Ben.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:30 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Eh, your first comment on here is about what other posters say about clubs chatting to agents first and here you are making the exact same comment..

You've got more faces than Big Ben.
How have i got more faces than big ben. Where do i contradict myself?

Touchline
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Touchline » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 pm

I think Mike Garlick is patently aware we need 3-4 new players. He was aware this week, last week and for several weeks before. He will spend money,no doubt in my mind. As it occurred to you that our chairman and manager work closely together on these things? Do you think it’s a coincidence we have submitted three bids in 24 hours? It’s called a strategy.
We all just hope it works and there are 7 days left.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:How have i got more faces than big ben. Where do i contradict myself?
Read the two comments I've quoted and then you'll see why I think you're being a bit two faced like you usually are during your dramatic posts