Taksim Square: Burnley fans meeting/drinking area

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
1989_claret
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Taksim Square: Burnley fans meeting/drinking area

Post by 1989_claret » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:31 pm

Never been to Istanbul before however, heard Taksim Square is a good place to meet/drink like in Aberdeen.

Thought I’d start a thread for people to say if they are going to be there to mingle and enjoy a few beers in the sun.

trawdenclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Re: Taksim Square: Burnley fans meeting/drinking area

Post by trawdenclaret » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Sounds like a plan.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:49 pm

I believe the club will be putting some information out regarding meeting places. There are a lot of security concerns due to Besiktas being at home.

MyRightFoot
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by MyRightFoot » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:09 pm

I know there's a lot of posts about various things surrounding the trip to Istanbul. The flights we have found land at sabiah Gokcen airport at 16:30 does anyone with any prior experience know wether this would be early enough to get to Istanbul centre collect tickets and get to the ground? Thank you in advance if anyone can help

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Post by levraiclaret » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm

MyRightFoot wrote:I know there's a lot of posts about various things surrounding the trip to Istanbul. The flights we have found land at sabiah Gokcen airport at 16:30 does anyone with any prior experience know wether this would be early enough to get to Istanbul centre collect tickets and get to the ground? Thank you in advance if anyone can help
The club haven't advised the ticket collection times yet but your airport is about 30km the wrong side of the Bosphorus which will be 2.5 t0 3 hours drive to the centre of Istanbul due to congestion on the roads. it is then between 60-90 mins to the stadium. In Aberdeen late arrivals, like me, were able to pick up tickets at the ground. Fingers crossed that similar arrangements are in place.

MyRightFoot
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by MyRightFoot » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info, we have opted to pay a bit more to fly to Istanbul Atatürk airport and land at 11am! Can't wait :)

mrgomez
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by mrgomez » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:04 pm

MyRightFoot wrote:I know there's a lot of posts about various things surrounding the trip to Istanbul. The flights we have found land at sabiah Gokcen airport at 16:30 does anyone with any prior experience know wether this would be early enough to get to Istanbul centre collect tickets and get to the ground? Thank you in advance if anyone can help
İt is just the "turn home from work" traffic time. you can by-pass the bridge traffic by hiring a taxi and telling the driver to drive via 3rd bridge (the very north one). but you will have to pay loads of money then... ataturk airport seems to be a safer and better option.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1996 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:28 pm

The first time I was in Istanbul was on business many years ago. We landed at the old airport and in those days you walked down the steps off the plane. This was circa 1980. Soldiers with shaven heads and tin hats `welcomed` us by training their rifles on all passengers when we disembarked the plane and walked to the terminal. These were the days of `Midnight Express` so pretty scary. I was there many times after that but not recently. The last time I was there was shortly after the Leeds fan was stabbed to death in Istanbul. We landed at the new modern Airport and were staying overnight prior to going on a cruise the following day. As we had no idea where the hotel was we took a taxi. The taxi driver looked fierce ( and thats being kind). When we told him which hotel we were going to he became visibly angry and cursed a lot in Turkish. As it turned out the hotel was less than a mile drive ( and he had queued for over an hour for a fare)His English was poor and my Turkish non existent. However we had 1 common language. Football. He asked if I was a Leeds supporter. Now we were scared. I said no and told him Burnley. He then started to apologize profusely for the death of the Leeds fan . We arrived at our hotel and he insisted the ride was free. He also insisted that he picked us up the following morning and took us to our ship. Again no charge. From that day on I have loved the Turkish people.
My advice is respect them and their country and you will have a great time. Awesome food and drinks. The main Bazaar is not to be missed. Be careful of course. Wish I could be there as I was in Stuttgart 52 years ago !!!!
This user liked this post: Cocker Claret

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:35 am

I’ve never been to Istanbul but I’ve been to Turkey more time than I can remember, and in my experience the people are the friendliest you’ll ever meet. To read some posts over the last few days, you’d think we were playing on mars or something. Do you really think it’s going to take more than 5 hours to get from one side of what I’m sure is a thoroughly modern city to the other?

I’m massively excited about his. See you in Taksim Square for an Efes 8-) 8-) 8-)
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 am

Just booked an apartment for Thursday and Friday at taksim square. So sounds like a wise choice?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:49 am

scouseclaret wrote:I’ve never been to Istanbul but I’ve been to Turkey more time than I can remember, and in my experience the people are the friendliest you’ll ever meet. To read some posts over the last few days, you’d think we were playing on mars or something. Do you really think it’s going to take more than 5 hours to get from one side of what I’m sure is a thoroughly modern city to the other?

I’m massively excited about his. See you in Taksim Square for an Efes 8-) 8-) 8-)
Aaaah the Turks...... Lovely people :D

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 am

there is a tiny tiny minority of fans with cash to burn for stuff like these trips,
Last edited by Wile E Coyote on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Just booked an apartment for Thursday and Friday at taksim square. So sounds like a wise choice?
We’ll turn the place Claret, cricketfield! :lol: 8-)

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:01 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:there is a tiny tiny minority of fans with cash to burn for stuff like these trips, a big fat block of monied cricket loving types always seem to find the readies for overseas matches. usually offspring of plumbers or bank staff, not your average fan.
I'm a decorator And my offspring are going and they don't like cricket.....But Fu.. Knows where they get the money from!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:19 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:there is a tiny tiny minority of fans with cash to burn for stuff like these trips, a big fat block of monied cricket loving types always seem to find the readies for overseas matches. usually offspring of plumbers or bank staff, not your average fan.
Dont drink much.
Dont smoke.
Dont take drugs.
Live within my means.
Good at travelling on a budget.
Got a good job.

Istanbul is the proverbial rainy day...

To start off with...

Then will make a few sacrifices. Wont be doing Fulham and Southampton. Both of which will have cost me more combined than istanbul.
This user liked this post: Tribesmen

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:20 am

scouseclaret wrote:We’ll turn the place Claret, cricketfield! :lol: 8-)
Might have to have an apartment after party 8-)

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:22 am

I like cricket. Not sure if I’m your “average” (whatever that means) fan or not, but I was born in the year we last played in Europe, so what I do know is this may be the only chance I ever get to watch Burnley play a competitive game on foreign soil.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:28 am

scouseclaret wrote:I like cricket. Not sure if I’m your “average” (whatever that means) fan or not, but I was born in the year we last played in Europe, so what I do know is this may be the only chance I ever get to watch Burnley play a competitive game on foreign soil.
Exactly. Weigh up the cost vs the reward and if you can afford it its a no brainer if you want to go.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:14 am

Saved up all summer on the off chance the European tour had trips like this. Then got sent away with work, so tv for me (hopefully)........... lol

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:10 am

So what’s the best flights etc people are jumping on?

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:32 am

Another for taksim square area. We land at 16:30 on Wednesday. Booked a hotel in taksim. Meeting my brother who lands from Oz a little earlier. See you there.

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:39 am

Just driven to Bristol and done a 12 hour night shift to help pay for this one. Like scouse says this could be the one and only chance we ever get to watch our team play in Europe so I couldn’t miss it UTC

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 am

It's a bit of a shame to go to Istanbul and planto have a few beers instead of visiting the wonderful sights on offer such as the Topkapi palace, Blue mosque etc.

You can have a beer in Weatherspoons

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 am

Spijed wrote:It's a bit of a shame to go to Istanbul and planto have a few beers instead of visiting the wonderful sights on offer such as the Topkapi palace, Blue mosque etc.

Will be doing that for sure.

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:47 am

Boat ride on the Bosphorus well worth doing too.

I love Istanbul but only got one night this time so little time to do more exploring.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:10 am

Spijed wrote:It's a bit of a shame to go to Istanbul and planto have a few beers instead of visiting the wonderful sights on offer such as the Topkapi palace, Blue mosque etc.

Do they have ‘spoons in Istanbul as well??? ;)

The Star and Moon???

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1154 times
Has Liked: 1052 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:16 am

After the game the transport stop that leaves the stadium area to Taksim square is an 8 minutes walk away but it leaves 16 minutes after the end of the game @11:16 local time and its a 2hr 9 mins journey, after that the next one is @ 4:51am and takes 1hr 47 mins, its 22 miles away so taxis will cost

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:28 am

scouseclaret wrote:Do they have ‘spoons in Istanbul as well??? ;)

The Star and Moon???
Benidorm it ain't! ;)

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:35 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:After the game the transport stop that leaves the stadium area to Taksim square is an 8 minutes walk away but it leaves 16 minutes after the end of the game @11:16 local time and its a 2hr 9 mins journey, after that the next one is @ 4:51am and takes 1hr 47 mins, its 22 miles away so taxis will cost
£20 I reckon for a taxi.

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:41 am

Taxis are cheap over there.

1989_claret

Post by 1989_claret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 am

Agree with you however, this is for the Wednesday night when people land and before the game. It will also be a good meeting point for supporters to mingle not necessarily just to get on the beers all day.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:51 am

On the subject of the money, if you were to set yourself up as a sole trader - a you tube blogger - would you then be able to write off all the costs of following Burnley against your taxable income? As long as you produce a blog or book out of it all in the end?

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:34 pm

AndrewJB wrote:On the subject of the money, if you were to set yourself up as a sole trader - a you tube blogger - would you then be able to write off all the costs of following Burnley against your taxable income? As long as you produce a blog or book out of it all in the end?
In theory yes. In practice not really. You’d have to register it as a business and convince HMRC it wasn’t an expensive hobby if you kept posting losses.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 pm

For people who can aford to travel well fair play to them as how can you knock fans getting behind our team .
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure chekhov

thedmcistanbul
Been Liked: 11 times

Post by thedmcistanbul » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Hello all,
We are contacting to you with regards to your land arrangements needs, especially shuttle bus transfer to/from Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadium for the game on 09 August 2018, Thursday. We are The DMC Istanbul, specialized in hosting football teams and related parties in Turkey for the international tournament games. Sorry if some of them are real rivals for you, in past we handled many supporters groups from the UK, Liverpool (1000 supporters) back in 2005 for the CL final, Leeds United, Tottenham, Bolton, Man United, Chelsea, St Johnstone.... If you look at our website http://www.thedmcistanbul.com/sports-tr ... ement.html you can see more details about our services.
Basaksehir stadium is far off city centre, such as Taksim square or Sultanahmet (old town) areas are within 30/35 kms distance. The kick off is at 21:45 so at the end of the game, public transportation from that area to city centre will not be an option. Considering the number of Burnley fans coming to the game, amount of taxis - sorry to say this but most of them will be asking more than taximeters' charge as it happens in every metropols - may not be enough at that time of the day.
As a travel agent, and we have dealt similar occasions in past, we would like to offer you city center - stadium - city center bus transfer services. If you want to book any services through us, please contact at thedmc@thedmcistanbul.com or on mobile 00905337085197
Wish you safe travel to Istanbul and good luck for the game, and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
Kind Regards,
Sinan Erkul
Last edited by thedmcistanbul on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:26 pm

So Magic Carpets and camels aren’t readily available gutted

1989_claret

Post by 1989_claret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Even though the official meeting point from the club won't be in Taksim on the Thursday I imagine most of us are staying here so a communal drink on the Wednesday night would be good.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm

see you there

thedmcistanbul
Been Liked: 11 times

Post by thedmcistanbul » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I would recommend you the Nevizade Street ''Cicek Pasajı'' where there are lot of pubs.

1989_claret

Post by 1989_claret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you for the recommendation.

1989_claret

Post by 1989_claret » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Four of us land at 19:30 Wednesday evening so should be checked in and out by 21:30.

Where are fans drinking if they are staying at Taksim Square?

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 pm

We will be around taksim tomorrow night.
This user liked this post: 1989_claret

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Don't forget to pack your burkhas.