Walters to PNE on loan

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Walters to PNE on loan

Post by IanMcL » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:00 pm

According to Daily Mail, Burnley are open to the loan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rnley.html

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Re: Walters to PNE on loan

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:08 pm

I bet we are! Can't see Preston covering his full wage though, he won't be on peanuts that's for sure.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Hope he goes..

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Lee wrote:Hope he goes..
Permanently. Awful signing.
This user liked this post: ontario claret

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Sounds like a move which would suit all parties. Hasn't worked out here because of unforeseen injuries, these things can happen. Hopefully frees up some budget/space for Rodriguez
This user liked this post: Gnulty

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:27 pm

I think it would be good for him and us, but he doesn't warrant the abuse he's getting here. He was always signed as a bench player with experience. He carried a history of injury, and sadly picked up knocks while with us, but he always gave his all.
It isn't his short comings that's the problem, just some people's expectations.
These 25 users liked this post: The Enclosure Ashingtonclaret46 Burnley Ace piston broke Bullabill spadesclaret d[-_-]b Buxtonclaret mybloodisclaret Goodclaret Rick_Muller SussexDon1inIreland Stayingup Garforth Claret Heathclaret Pearcey bfcmik turfytopper Gnulty Stproc tim_noone evensteadiereddie Siddo longsidepies PaintYorkClaretnBlue

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:34 pm

He gets far less abuse than players like Jensen, Edgar, Eagles and MacDonald used to get on here and all of them did a damn sight more for this club than Walters.

There seems to be some kind of unwritten rules about which players you are allowed to criticise and which you are not although I havent quite worked them out yet

lrac
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 283 times

Post by lrac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:36 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Permanently. Awful signing.
Go on then I'll bite .why is he awful ?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:He gets far less abuse than players like Jensen, Edgar, Eagles and MacDonald used to get on here and all of them did a damn sight more for this club than Walters.

There seems to be some kind of unwritten rules about which players you are allowed to criticise and which you are not although I havent quite worked them out yet
What has Walters done to warrant any abuse or criticism? He got injured whilst playing for Burnley and as a result was sidelined for the majority of the season.
These 4 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker Goodclaret SussexDon1inIreland elwaclaret

SkiptonClaret

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:He gets far less abuse than players like Jensen, Edgar, Eagles and MacDonald used to get on here and all of them did a damn sight more for this club than Walters.

No unwritten rules that I’ll comply with. Absolute shocker of a signing, we’re in the PL not League One. Far too old for purpose, hope it’s the last of these bench warming, dressing room cheerleader signings. I suspect it isn’t though. Hello Joe.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:40 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:No unwritten rules that I’ll comply with. Absolute shocker of a signing, we’re in the PL not League One. Far too old for purpose, hope it’s the last of these bench warming, dressing room cheerleader signings. I suspect it isn’t though. Hello Joe.
You really are a wally. Do you think we don’t need ‘benchwarmers’ considering that we will name a squad of 25 players and only 14 can play in any given game?

SkiptonClaret

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Rileybobs wrote:You really are a wally. Do you think we don’t need ‘benchwarmers’ considering that we will name a squad of 25 players and only 14 can play in any given game?
Yes, I’m aware. How about having some that can affect a game ? The sight of Walters waddling on in one of the early League games last season was, frankly, embarrassing.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Rileybobs wrote:What has Walters done to warrant any abuse or criticism? He got injured whilst playing for Burnley and as a result was sidelined for the majority of the season.
Its not Walters but the signing of him that is getting slagged off. He wasnt injured all season and played a few times for Ireland this year but was still nowhere near our team. Had he stayed fit he would have been more of a hindrance than an asset cos hes is no longer Prem League standard.

The reason the criticism might get more personal is because people make out with no evidence that had he stayed fit he would have played a major role and been a great signing and anyone who questions that and expresses a different view gets abuse off other posters and so they bite back a bit

As said the players I mentioned in the previous post got far more criticism and abuse and nobody defended them so why is it one rule for one set of players and another for the others?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:52 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Yes, I’m aware. How about having some that can affect a game ? The sight of Walters waddling on in one of the early League games last season was, frankly, embarrassing.
We clearly had enough players to affect games considering where we finished last season. Who’s to say Walters couldn’t have affected games had he not been on the receiving end of a very poor challenge against Rovers?

And if you’re so easily embarrassed I can’t imagine you’re too keen to read back over your posts on here.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Its not Walters but the signing of him that is getting slagged off. He wasnt injured all season and played a few times for Ireland this year but was still nowhere near our team. Had he stayed fit he would have been more of a hindrance than an asset cos hes is no longer Prem League standard.

The reason the criticism might get more personal is because people make out with no evidence that had he stayed fit he would have played a major role and been a great signing and anyone who questions that and expresses a different view gets abuse off other posters and so they bite back a bit

As said the players I mentioned in the previous post got far more criticism and abuse and nobody defended them so why is it one rule for one set of players and another for the others?
Is it? I’ve seen Walters get slagged off on here. He was near our team before he got injured - hence him starting in the league cup game against Rovers. He then didn’t get near our team due to our fantastic form last season and the fact that we had 3 or 4 fit players ahead of him in the pecking order by the time he returned from injury.

You mention the other players getting criticism, which I’m sure all did at some point, although you’re completely making up the part where you say that nobody defended them.
These 3 users liked this post: lrac Colburn_Claret Goodclaret

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:03 pm

He had Wood, Barnes and Vokes ahead of him who are all similar kind of players. That is why it was a bizarre and terrible signing because we needed someone with a bit of guile pace and trickery not another lump. At least with the Wells sighning you could see why we were after that type of player but signing Walters to be 4th choice target man was ridiculous.

I cant remember seeing anything personal said about Walters or his character and attitude attacked. People have just expressed their views that they think he is rubbish, not good enough, a bad signing and a player they want rid of and surely a football forum is exactly where you should be able to voice this if this is your opinion
This user liked this post: SkiptonClaret

SkiptonClaret

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:06 pm

On occasions I’ve almost felt sorry for the guy, not his fault we elected to add generously to his pension plan, but then I remember how many £thousands he’s had off the club. He’s had a very good living from the game, time to admit the time has come to head for pasture (or Preston).

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:10 pm

Juke/Sordell or Walters/Wells which would you chose ,positive comments only please

SkiptonClaret

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:12 pm

joey13 wrote:Juke/Sordell or Walters/Wells which would you chose ,positive comments only please
Hennings in a 4-5-1. I’d pay to watch that.

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:14 pm

I suspect Dyche saw him fitting into the striker support role that Hendricks has played in - as did Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane for ROI national team.
He has a good professional attitude and was popular in the dressing room with the other players, especially the Irish lads.
IMO he was a very good signing but unfortunately fate took a hand and it didn't work out for him.
These 7 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret SussexDon1inIreland IanMcL nil_desperandum elwaclaret DAVETHEVICAR CoolClaret

SkiptonClaret

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:15 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:I suspect Dyche saw him fitting into the striker support role that Hendricks has played in - as did Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane for ROI national team.
He has a good professional attitude and was popular in the dressing room with the other players, especially the Irish lads.
IMO he was a very good signing but unfortunately fate took a hand and it didn't work out for him.
Was waiting for the dressing room angle. Thanks.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:He had Wood, Barnes and Vokes ahead of him who are all similar kind of players. That is why it was a bizarre and terrible signing because we needed someone with a bit of guile pace and trickery not another lump. At least with the Wells sighning you could see why we were after that type of player but signing Walters to be 4th choice target man was ridiculous.

I cant remember seeing anything personal said about Walters or his character and attitude attacked. People have just expressed their views that they think he is rubbish, not good enough, a bad signing and a player they want rid of and surely a football forum is exactly where you should be able to voice this if this is your opinion
We didn’t have Wood when Walters signed.

There’s been plenty of disrespectful comments about Walters, even on this thread. Of course you can voice your opinion, in the same way that I’m voicing my opinion that those comments are ill thought out and disrespectful.

HollandsPies
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by HollandsPies » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Skipton, you clearly don't rate him but why berate him after suffering a season wiping injury?

You cant just sack the bloke as he's under contract.

SkiptonClaret

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:31 pm

HollandsPies wrote:Skipton, you clearly don't rate him but why berate him after suffering a season wiping injury?

You cant just sack the bloke as he's under contract.
You’ve miss the point entirely. I’m berating the signing as, in my opinion, it was a very poor one.
I do actually realise he can’t just be sacked.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:36 pm

20/20 hindsight.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:47 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Was waiting for the dressing room angle. Thanks.
I know a couple of Stoke season ticket holders, who blame their relegation on letting the likes of Walters and Bardsley go. They are good, honest, hard working professionals and every team needs them. Wether it's on the pitch, or on the bench you need them.
No one denies things could have worked out better, but they never did anything wrong that warrants criticism.
This user liked this post: Cuts

TomtheClaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 153 times

Post by TomtheClaret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:48 pm

I heard Barnes was said to be leaving, Dyche wanted Walters as his replacement. For Whatever reason Barnes never went. Thankfully

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:01 pm

It was a terrible signing because he doesn't offer anything that our existing strikers don't, and signing a 34 year old who game has been all about hard work and running isn't the shrewdest move is it? The good in the dressing room excuse is ridiculous as well, just like it was with Steven Reid.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Take it up with the manager.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:10 pm

In that case, just stick to common decency; that’ll see you right.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 pm

If he was signed as a "bench player", he must have been the highest paid bench player in Claret history.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:37 pm

He was poor today. Only wanted to appear to fight for the ball rather than actually battling for it for real.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I think it would be good for him and us, but he doesn't warrant the abuse he's getting here. He was always signed as a bench player with experience. He carried a history of injury, and sadly picked up knocks while with us, but he always gave his all.
My vote for post of the week
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:46 pm

ontario claret wrote:If he was signed as a "bench player", he must have been the highest paid bench player in Claret history.
Same for all this current crop of players. Not Jon Walters fault. He's been a great pro...just a shame that injuries have dogged his spell with us.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm

After his attitude in March , yes full agree a move to PNE us the best for all parties.
Yes we cannot guarantee his fitness , but what we should be able to guarantee is his application .

That's all I'll say.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:55 pm

ontario claret wrote:If he was signed as a "bench player", he must have been the highest paid bench player in Claret history.
Can a club really sign a seasoned professional just to fill the bench?
It goes against everything SD says about competition and challenging for a first team place.
This user liked this post: ontario claret

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:57 pm

He's gone now, so we shouldn't say too much. Thirty-two is a magic age for most athletes. It's when I pulled my hamstring for the first time. When you get older you don't just slow down, you also get injured more often.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Sir Dyche might have signed him more for his change room presence than anything else. He's still a "professional's professional". I see a future in management for him.

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:19 am

joey13 wrote:Juke/Sordell or Walters/Wells which would you chose ,positive comments only please
Comparing the impact made against fees/wages I'd definitely choose Juke/Sordell.

Sordell was worth a gamble possibly, none of the others really were.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 am

Was always going to be a horror signing. Considering the fee and wages he’s cost us an absolute categoric failure.

Loan wish it was a permanent even if it’s a freebie.
This user liked this post: SkiptonClaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:49 am

SkiptonClaret wrote:Permanently. Awful signing.
How can an injured player be labelled an 'awful signing'? We haven't seen him play.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:07 am

Some proper belmtard comments on this thread.
If Walters was as bad as is being made out by some why has he got more Premier League games and goals under his belt than the rest of our team ?
Why was he still getting picked for Republic of Ireland ?

Of course he was getting on in age but he was still playing regularly for Stoke.
He did not have a bad injury record at all prior to signing for us.

We clearly signed him for the squad and for his experience. He was unlucky getting injured and he is clearly struggling to find his previous form or fitness so moving him on seems best all round.

But why some people have to constantly keep banging on about our poor signings given our overall record in the market under Dyche I have not got a clue. Name another club in the division with less expensive / “poor” signings than Burnley in the last 5 years.
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro Colburn_Claret

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 am

MACCA wrote:After his attitude in March , yes full agree a move to PNE us the best for all parties.
Yes we cannot guarantee his fitness , but what we should be able to guarantee is his application .

That's all I'll say.
What are you on about?

What happened in March? :?

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 am

turfytopper wrote:My vote for post of the week
A post of the week that claimed he had a history of injury, prior to joining us, when he actually didn't.

You must be easily impressed.

:roll:
Last edited by fidelcastro on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 am

We will never know now. It’s silly to suggest that, had a stayed fit, he wouldn’t have been a useful player last season. Yes, he’s knocking on but his career suggests that he would have at the least been a useful player for us, particularly as injuries struck in the second half of the season.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:44 am

fidelcastro wrote:What are you on about?

What happened in March? :?
He just wasn't a very happy/nice person.

Let a just say he was very much like Marney in the last couple of months of the season.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:45 am

And Marney was?

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am

MACCA wrote:He just wasn't a very happy/nice person.

Let a just say he was very much like Marney in the last couple of months of the season.
Did he tell you this?

:?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:57 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:I think it would be good for him and us, but he doesn't warrant the abuse he's getting here. He was always signed as a bench player with experience. He carried a history of injury, and sadly picked up knocks while with us, but he always gave his all.
Couldn't agree more. Not sure, given how he's never started a game for us in the league, how he can receive the abuse. At the time I thought he would be a really good signing for us. He was very close to the starting eleven at the start of last season but then suffered the injury at Blackburn. Then another injury which required surgery. Once fit, he couldn't get back in and he played just a few u23 games. Have to say he's looked like a man on his way out in pre-season but I still believe, injuries apart, he could have been a good signing for us.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret turfytopper

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:01 am

His "luck" or ill-luck really whilst a Claret reminds me of Taylor who had an achilles problem for a lot of time we were in this league but he did manage to get into the team a little and played the following season in the Championship.