(John McGinn) option?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

(John McGinn) option?

Post by Steddyman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Don't know much about him, but being touted by Neil Lennon (obviously wants to sell him).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45077734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obligatory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh98WtEGAso" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£3 million. Worth a punt?

Steddyman

Re: (John McGinn) option?

Post by Steddyman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:56 am

Looks like Aston Villa are in for him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45095195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:07 am

Watched him about 18 months ago and looked a talent, £3m seems low risk.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:24 am

I like the idea of bringing in a couple of cheaper players who could slot into the 3 over age slots of our U23 squad. More importantly, we could play them in the initial cup matches to keep our first team players fresh.

A couple of extra bodies that could develop over time and help with rotation this season could be important. We already have some players in the U23 who look like they could do that, but the games are going to come thick and fast and we are still light in one or two areas. Keeping our first team players fresh and protecting them from the kick to injure rough and tumble we experience with lower league team encounters could be invaluable.

John McGinn and Jordon Jones could be worth a punt to fill out our numbers. Although I suspect we might have to loan McGinn back to Hibs for the first part of the season to get a deal over the line. Keeping McGinn in their squad will really help them in their bid to progress in the Europa and every step forward they take will swell their coffers.

Celtic can afford to sit back and pick him up for peanuts after our window closes. Would be a shame to see him rot on their bench as so many others have done.

The question is, are they any good?

£2m+ and 500K+ is still a sizeable chunk of change, one for our Scottish scouts to answer.
This user liked this post: Steddyman

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 am

John McGinn is a very good player in a poor league, would he be premier league standard? Possibly after a bit of experience. Has age on his side and would be cheap. Much prefer to see the likes of McGinn than Clucas.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40 am

Why the brackets on the title? :shock:

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm

McGinn is being strongly liked with Villa, along with Joe Bryan.

Considering their FFP state of play it looks like Greilish is heading out. I can't see how they can add to their wage bill and spend on transfers unless someone is about to leave for a sizeable fee.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:22 pm

The speculative price for McGinn is £2.1m with a rumoured preference by club and player for a move to an English club.

£4m rising to £6m is being touted as the fee for Joe Bryan.

Marcus Maddison, Nick Powell, Jordan Hugill and Sheyo Ojo also linked to Villa today.

Looks like Steve Bruce is pulling out all the stops to secure some of the more notable young and hungry talent available in this window. Hugill excluded. Understandable really, the new owners have expressed a desire to focus on bringing in quality youth with development potential.

If Bruce can't demonstrate his ability to perform in the transfer market now he will certainly loose control of that aspect to Jorge Mendes who is waiting in the wings for his next profit making project.

I'm still not sure how this will make a dent in their outstanding FFP shortfall if they spend everything they raise from any transfers. Shop till you drop Villa.

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:45 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:Why the brackets on the title? :shock:
Was asked by another poster to use brackets if we hadn’t been linked to a player so I was just obliging.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Oh look, another post about a player the club have shown no interest in. Do people actually think that Sean and the board read this forum and take advice?

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 pm

houseboy wrote:Oh look, another post about a player the club have shown no interest in. Do people actually think that Sean and the board read this forum and take advice?
Nope, not for one second, but this forum is also to discuss things related to football and the brackets clearly indicate that he is probably not on our radar.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... m-14997410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally find the situation at Villa interesting, along with the players they are looking to buy and possibly sell in this window. If they don't sell any players, or they sell players and then spend a significant amount of the incoming cash to support another tilt at the promotion windmill, this window could still come back to haunt them.

Everything could hang on their tough stance to get a £30m+ price for Greilish which would give them some FFP head room, but they are negotiating with Dell Boy Levy.

The worst scenario is that they could spend money to bring in players, the Greilish transfer doesn't go through because Levy stiffs them, and then they have to contend with the outcome.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him call their bluff or pull back, let their FFP situation sink in a little deeper and go back in during the next window. Greilish isn't an urget must have purchase for Tottenham and £30m+ is a lot to pay for a fancy show pony with little to no end product.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Just out of interest who does everyone think will come out on top in the Greilish saga?

Steve Bruce, a manager with it all to do if he wants to prove that he should have control over Villas transfer dealings, with Jorge Mendes skulking in the wings.

or

Del Boy Levy, cunning as a fox and tight as a ducks arse.

Based in past performance, I would have to go for Levy.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Why would anyone start a thread about a player he knows nothing about?

Steddyman

Post by Steddyman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Why would anyone start a thread about a player he knows nothing about?
How can you say that CT? I'd watched the obligatory YouTube video so I knew as much as anyone did about our transfers :)

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:Nope, not for one second, but this forum is also to discuss things related to football and the brackets clearly indicate that he is probably not on our radar.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... m-14997410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally find the situation at Villa interesting, along with the players they are looking to buy and possibly sell in this window. If they don't sell any players, or they sell players and then spend a significant amount of the incoming cash to support another tilt at the promotion windmill, this window could still come back to haunt them.

Everything could hang on their tough stance to get a £30m+ price for Greilish which would give them some FFP head room, but they are negotiating with Dell Boy Levy.

The worst scenario is that they could spend money to bring in players, the Greilish transfer doesn't go through because Levy stiffs them, and then they have to contend with the outcome.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him call their bluff or pull back, let their FFP situation sink in a little deeper and go back in during the next window. Greilish isn't an urget must have purchase for Tottenham and £30m+ is a lot to pay for a fancy show pony with little to no end product.
I wish them all the best in their battle with Spurs over this but I suspect they will eventually get spanked. I've always loved Villa as a club (and not for the Claret connection) and I have always looked out for their results over the years. I would love to see them back in the PL, the are the classic case of the sleeping giant and for the life in me I don't know what goes on at such a genuinely big club to prevent them being up there with the big 6.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Confirmed signed for Villa https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45122873 makes a change for a Hibs star not too join the ugly sisters.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:09 pm

thought at the time for the money he was a no risk signing. Seems to have impressed so far at Villa. Anyone seen his goal today yet.....a must watch, absolute worldie

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3436 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 pm

https://twitter.com/WittonRoad/status/1 ... 87714?s=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some kind soul has put it up on Twitter.

I've seen better :lol:

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:22 pm

The number 15 just watching it glide in motionless. Arms just aloft unmoved as it nestles in the top corner. Couldnt have had a better view

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:49 am

Unbelievably good goal, the technique to do that is out of this world!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:59 am

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Unbelievably good goal, the technique to do that is out of this world!
Yes but why would anybody start a thread about a player they nothing about. :o

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:38 am

Looked like it took a deflection.