ARTICLE: Clucas and Rodriguez signings beginning to look less likely

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clucas and Rodriguez signings beginning to look less likely

Post by Murger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Not bothered in the slightest about Clucas. The greedy **** can **** off.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 pm

He obviously rates himself. Sounds like poor advice from his agent if true. Unless, of course, he signs for another club on big money. Hope there are other options.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:19 pm

He's hardly goona say he failed a medical.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 pm

It's all well and good saying "good - didn't want either anyway" but like spice says, we really do need some realistic options for midfield/forward that can offer cover/something a bit different.

If we have secondary targets we can bring in before the deadline that's good. If not then it's a bit lax to say the least.

Last season we spent **** all in net money on transfers and two of our incoming players (who cost the best part of 10m between them) barely managed a dent on the grass at Turf Moor (some of which was unfortunate due to injury). If we get no more business done this window then all we've done is fill the CB sized hole we carried last season - we've lost two midfielders and two out injured so as a minimum we need to fill a hole there.

If all we manage is Gibson (delighted though i am with his arrival) i'd say it's been a pretty shambolic window - we've effectively spend around 20m net over the last 3 windows. That's **** poor.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:29 pm

NottsClaret wrote:Nah, we'll be fine. It's nowhere near a disaster. And don't start this 'replacement' thing again, Keane left yonks ago. It doesn't have to be one in, one out going back to 1882.
What bit of sean saying he needs 4 cbs don't you get? Typical happy clapper response. Utter bull.

SparkyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by SparkyClaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:39 pm

summitclaret wrote:What bit of sean saying he needs 4 cbs don't you get? Typical happy clapper response. Utter bull.
Mee
Tarkowski
Gibson
Long

That would be 4 recognised centre backs. Including Long in there, because if Dyche mentioned having 3 after Keane left, he clearly counts Long as a recognised centre back.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:42 pm

You can always rely on summit to dish out the happy clapper nonsense to someone.

Anyone who doesn't act like a complete child is a happy clapper in his eyes.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:44 pm

summitclaret wrote:What bit of sean saying he needs 4 cbs don't you get? Typical happy clapper response. Utter bull.
Can’t you count to 4?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3338 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:17 pm

If after finishing 7th with games to spare and someone had offered the following scenario 3 days before the transfer window shuts

Long term injury to Pope
Further injury for Heaton
Further injury for Brady
Further injury for Defour
No new contract signed for Mee

Gibson signed from Middlesbrough.

I bet not many would have been happy with that. I wouldn’t class it much better than a bit of a disaster myself.

Still time to rectify it and I do still expect two others as well as Hart to sign and hopefully good news on the Mee front.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:If after finishing 7th with games to spare and someone had offered the following scenario 3 days before the transfer window shuts

Long term injury to Pope
Further injury for Heaton
Further injury for Brady
Further injury for Defour
No new contract signed for Mee

Gibson signed from Middlesbrough.

I bet not many would have been happy with that. I wouldn’t class it much better than a bit of a disaster myself.

Still time to rectify it and I do still expect two others as well as Hart to sign and hopefully good news on the Mee front.
Is that "disaster" on the Portsmouth-Sunderland-Bolton scale, or are will still a fraction ahead of that level of disaster? Or were they way beyond disaster, into "apocalypse", perhaps?

You forgot about Gudmondsson's new contract.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:25 pm

dsr wrote:Is that "disaster" on the Portsmouth-Sunderland-Bolton scale, or are will still a fraction ahead of that level of disaster? Or were they way beyond disaster, into "apocalypse", perhaps?

You’ll never go wrong equating everything to Portsmouth.

I did miss JBG’s contact, you are right there.

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:I did miss JBG’s contact, you are right there.
And Lowton's
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:You’ll never go wrong equating everything to Portsmouth.

I did miss JBG’s contact, you are right there.
If our window is on the verge of disaster, then either it has to be equated to Portsmouth's disaster, or you need to find a different (worse) word that means Portsmouth wasn't a disaster.
Last edited by dsr on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:28 pm

dsr wrote:Is that "disaster" on the Portsmouth-Sunderland-Bolton scale, or are will still a fraction ahead of that level of disaster? Or were they way beyond disaster, into "apocalypse", perhaps?
It's the internet. So it's either a cataclysmic, scandalous disaster or the greatest transfer window ever.

'Maybe a bit disappointing but still with plenty to be happy about' won't get you noticed.
This user liked this post: dsr

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm

dsr wrote:If our window is on the verge of disaster, then either it has to be equated to Portsmouth's disaster, or you need to find a different word that means Portsmouth wasn't a disaster.
Don’t be daft dsr. I’m equating it to our expectations and a potential extra 10-15 games to play throughout the season. But then you knew that, but I will make a note to compare everything that happens to that one meltdown Portsmouth had all those years ago.
This user liked this post: DCWat

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:36 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:It's all well and good saying "good - didn't want either anyway" but like spice says, we really do need some realistic options for midfield/forward that can offer cover/something a bit different.

If we have secondary targets we can bring in before the deadline that's good. If not then it's a bit lax to say the least.

Last season we spent **** all in net money on transfers and two of our incoming players (who cost the best part of 10m between them) barely managed a dent on the grass at Turf Moor (some of which was unfortunate due to injury). If we get no more business done this window then all we've done is fill the CB sized hole we carried last season - we've lost two midfielders and two out injured so as a minimum we need to fill a hole there.

If all we manage is Gibson (delighted though i am with his arrival) i'd say it's been a pretty shambolic window - we've effectively spend around 20m net over the last 3 windows. That's **** poor.
Far too simplistic a view - we have increased the wage bill of the club very significantly over the last 2 years. I’m expecting this years accounts to show a wage bill of between £75m and £80m - which is double the total salary bill from a couple of years ago.

Add to that the significant investment in the training ground plus the fact that we have been trying to spend at least another £40m in transfer fees in this window alone shows that the club are trying their best to support the manager and both SD and the chairman have said their is more money there to spend.

Just because we refuse to be ripped off by clubs asking ridiculous amounts for players does not mean we are not backing SD.

Look at Clucas - £15m paid for him by Swansea was way over the top. We all said it at the time and it’s proven so. The same situation with what WBA want for Dawson and we end up with just as good a player, younger and far cheaper.

The criticism the club is getting for its transfer policy is way over the top....and with zero knowledge from any of us about what is really going on with these deals. The greed of clubs, agents and many players must make this a minefield for all clubs but especially ones like us who cannot afford to make 2 or 3 £20m mistakes with the almost certainty that at some point in the not so far future we will be relegated.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Sorry !
Last edited by TVC15 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Post duplicated sorry

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 pm

Just shows how those threads of a couple of weeks back that we were 2/7 to sign Dawson and odds on to sign Rodriguez were well wide of the mark.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Peter Crouch being linked again. Dream time.
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/29 ... rodriguez/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wokingclaret
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:51 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Peter Crouch being linked again. Dream time.
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/29 ... rodriguez/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh no not again

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Did you used to support Portsmouth,dsr you certainly seem upset about what happened to them

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:07 pm

TVC15 wrote:Far too simplistic a view - we have increased the wage bill of the club very significantly over the last 2 years. I’m expecting this years accounts to show a wage bill of between £75m and £80m - which is double the total salary bill from a couple of years ago.

Add to that the significant investment in the training ground plus the fact that we have been trying to spend at least another £40m in transfer fees in this window alone shows that the club are trying their best to support the manager and both SD and the chairman have said their is more money there to spend.

Just because we refuse to be ripped off by clubs asking ridiculous amounts for players does not mean we are not backing SD.

Look at Clucas - £15m paid for him by Swansea was way over the top. We all said it at the time and it’s proven so. The same situation with what WBA want for Dawson and we end up with just as good a player, younger and far cheaper.

The criticism the club is getting for its transfer policy is way over the top....and with zero knowledge from any of us about what is really going on with these deals. The greed of clubs, agents and many players must make this a minefield for all clubs but especially ones like us who cannot afford to make 2 or 3 £20m mistakes with the almost certainty that at some point in the not so far future we will be relegated.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:08 pm

The criticism the club is getting for not making signings is no way near over the top , it’s a complete farce and pathetic
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:20 pm

'Further injury for Defour'

How can you tell?

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Unfortunately, for any business to progress, there has to be a certain amount of criticism. Only by recognising and improving aspects that are lacking, do we move forward to excellence.

I don't believe this is as good as it gets for a team like us, a lot of you think we have reached the highlight of our next millenium. I do not think it has to be, but for us to move forward, we must continue to improve.

This transfer window so far concerns people the most who still want the club to progress rather than the people who just think we're living the golden years.

Just an observation, although come Thursday I think 3-4 more will have signed.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:29 pm

joey13 wrote:The criticism the club is getting for not making signings is no way near over the top , it’s a complete farce and pathetic
You mean the criticism is pathetic, right?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:30 pm

dsr wrote:If our window is on the verge of disaster, then either it has to be equated to Portsmouth's disaster, or you need to find a different (worse) word that means Portsmouth wasn't a disaster.
What a croc of sh*t. Is this what we are really up against if we want to sensibly talk about our club both honestly and objectively on this site

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:31 pm

'Just an observation' .......

I think you'll be pretty disappointed then.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Ok, hope we do.
It sort of sounds like you don't.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:35 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:What a croc of sh*t. Is this what we are really up against if we want to sensibly talk about our club both honestly and objectively on this site
I’m quite up for his game actually. I just think we need to know the full rules. Do we just have to equate everything to football or can we do it to anything?
Eg if someone on the ratings thread says a player was shocking do we have to justify it against Steve Morgan’s performance against Rotherham in the mid 90’s or the shocking treatment of slaves in America hundreds of years ago?
I think there is huge potential and mileage in this little game.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:51 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Completely agree with this.

We can sign any player we want by throwing a ludicrous amount of money at a club and paying way over the odds. In the eyes of some people that would be good business, because we signed a player. The fact that we aren't daft enough to do that is a good thing in my books.

Our greatest need has been satisfied by the arrival of Gibson, took a couple of windows but we got the right man for a good price. Every box was ticked, nobody dicked us about, and a deal was done very quickly.

When a deal is right a deal is done, that is the shape of things.

I was happy to see the Clucas deal flounder and I'm not fussed if Jay Rod doesn't sign for us in this window. We currently play two strikers at the most and even if Walters leaves us we still have four on our books. Based on the comments from the last match Agyei isn't quite there yet.

We still don't have a clear idea of how good Nahki is at this level. He was emphatic in the press release where he ruled out a move in favour of challenging for a place. The time between now and the next window should give everyone a clear picture of where he fits in going forward.

I'm not swayed by the "one of our own" sentimentality that is surrounding Jay Rod. If that was the case on his part he could have stayed here instead of moving to Southampton. Moving closer to the present he could have signed for us last season instead of WBA. In both cases he considered all of the factors in play, including his love for Burnley, and then he chose to go somewhere else. In short, he decided to pick the option that he felt would best serve his career at the time and I don't have any problem with that at all. The guy put himself and his family first, just like the club has to put itself and everyone that depends on it first.

On his day Jay is a quality player and while he would offer us something slightly different up front, but he is no better than what we have in Wood, Barnes and possibly Vokes. I can't see him improving our scoring record to any significant degree, so he would just be another option on the bench if he came here. In his favour we know everything about him and there are no questions about his commitment and attitude.

I can't find any mention of any other clubs being interested in him at the moment. £16m was a very generous offer even with the striker premium. We have already pushed the boat out trying to meet the nonsensical valuation of WBA and we have wasted a lot of time in the process. If Jay really does have his heart set on coming here then he should be happy to ignore any rival offers from other clubs and wait until the next window when things might be different.

I don't think we urgently need anyone in this window, but a couple of extra bodies would be very welcome.

A left winger, ideally one that can play in a couple of other positions as well.

A no10 in the mould of Jeff, energetic box to box type who can do a job in midfield. Would be nice if he had something of a goal scoring record and the ability to push forward into space and play key passes through the lines.

Possibly a midfield development player if someone suitable is available for a cheap "take a punt" price.

Possibly a striker on loan with an option to buy for a respectable amount.
These 2 users liked this post: jtv bfcmik

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2247 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 pm

I was right lol

I quickly flicked down to the bottom of this thread and saw a massively long post but couldn't see the posters name
I bet that's Long Time Lurker I said to myself
Of course it is :lol:
Last edited by mkmel on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Pearcey

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:59 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:Completely agree with this.

We can sign any player we want by throwing a ludicrous amount of money at a club and paying way over the odds. In the eyes of some people that would be good business, because we signed a player. The fact that we aren't daft enough to do that is a good thing in my books.

Our greatest need has been satisfied by the arrival of Gibson, took a couple of windows but we got the right man for a good price. Every box was ticked, nobody dicked us about, and a deal was done very quickly.

I was happy to see the Clucas deal flounder and I'm not fussed if Jay Rod doesn't sign for us in this window. We currently play two strikers at the most and even if Walters leaves us we still have four on our books. Based on the comments from the last match Agyei isn't quite there yet.

We still don't have a clear idea of how good Nahki is at this level. He was emphatic in the press release where he ruled out a move in favour of challenging for a place. The time between now and the next window should give everyone a clear picture of where he fits in going forward.

I'm not swayed by the "one of our own" sentimentality that is surrounding Jay Rod. If that was the case on his part he could have stayed here instead of moving to Southampton. Moving closer to the present he could have signed for us last season instead of WBA. In both cases he considered all of the factors in play, including his love for Burnley, and then he chose to go somewhere else. In short, he decided to pick the option that he felt would best serve his career at the time and I don't have any problem with that at all. The guy put himself and his family first, just like the club has to put itself and everyone that depends on it first.

On his day Jay is a quality player and while he would offer us something slightly different up front, but he is no better than what we have in Wood, Barnes and possibly Vokes. I can't see him improving our scoring record to any significant degree, so he would just be another option on the bench if he came here. In his favour we know everything about him and there are no questions about his commitment and attitude.

I can't find any mention of any other clubs being interested in him at the moment. £16m was a very generous offer even with the striker premium. We have already pushed the boat out trying to meet the nonsensical valuation of WBA and we have wasted a lot of time in the process. If Jay really does have his heart set on coming here then he should be happy to ignore any rival offers from other clubs and wait until the next window when things might be different.

I don't think we urgently need anyone in this window, but a couple of extra bodies would be very welcome.

A left winger, ideally one that can play in a couple of other positions as well.

A no10 in the mould of Jeff, energetic box to box type who can do a job in midfield. Would be nice if he had something of a goal scoring record and the ability to push forward into space and play key passes through the lines.

Possibly a midfield development player if someone suitable is available for a cheap "take a punt" price.

You’ll get no likes with a sensible post like that.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You mean the criticism is pathetic, right?
Wrong

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:What a croc of sh*t. Is this what we are really up against if we want to sensibly talk about our club both honestly and objectively on this site
No criticism whatsoever of the club is allowed after all we nearly went out of the Football league in 1987 don't you know.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Out greatest need is creativity

joey13

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:05 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Out greatest need is creativity
Our greatest need is a recruitment team , not a old bloke with a flat cap , woodbine ,Jack Russell, and a dart .

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:12 pm

It's an elementary point, which I will try and make even more simple. "Disaster" is a word to be used for something disastrous. Burnley's position is not disastrous.

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm

dsr wrote:It's an elementary point, which I will try and make even more simple. "Disaster" is a word to be used for something disastrous. Burnley's position is not disastrous.
How far are we pushing this, you seem to indicate what happened at Portsmouth was a disaster. Where does that disaster rank against, say, the 2004 Tsunami?

jtv
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:You’ll get no likes with a sensible post like that.
He just got one from me - and it was before I read your entry :D :D :D

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:28 pm

joey13 wrote:Our greatest need is a recruitment team , not a old bloke with a flat cap , woodbine ,Jack Russell, and a dart .
Haha.. that one made me laugh. Not saying I agree with it but funny nonetheless.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:30 pm

TVC15 wrote:Far too simplistic a view - we have increased the wage bill of the club very significantly over the last 2 years. I’m expecting this years accounts to show a wage bill of between £75m and £80m - which is double the total salary bill from a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure your analysis of the transfer market is borne out by events, to be honest. Perfectly true, we got Michael Keane instead of Dawson and it ended up being a good deal - although Keane wasn't actually Premier League ready when we signed him so we didn't get much use out of him during the season in which we got relegated, so who knows if in the short term Dawson might have proved his extra worth by helping us stay up. But Dawson is a case in point, because 4 summers he had a market price of around £3-4 million quid, which we refused to pay. Given what we've agreed to pay for Gibson, it seems we'd have paid a bit more than £15 million for Dawson, which is an increase of somewhere between 400 and 500 per cent. There aren't too many markets escalating like that. We're baulking at paying £20 million for Rodriguez now, but there are other comparable players going for similar if not bigger fees, and nothing in the economics of the market suggest that its going to slow down - so just as with Dawson, its entirely possible that in 12 months time £20 million for Rodriguez will look like the days of sanity and restraint. You cite Clucas, but that's very much the exception to the rule, and he's a player whose stock has fallen over the past 12 months and who if you believe what is being written, has some injury issues which would directly affect his value.

I also think you make this sound like some sort of moral crusade - good old Burnley standing up for what is right in the face of clubs whose greed knows no bounds. There are a few problems with this. Firstly, however virtuous it might be, it won't work, because the rest of the football world will shrug its shoulders and crack on without us - so the only ones who lose from this are us. Secondly, it ignores the fact that no club is obliged to sell us a particular footballer and they're perfectly entitled to set their own asking price. In the case of West Brom, we're trying to prize away the forward they believe can fire them back to the Premier League, and they've set an asking price partly with a view to deterring interest. We've known it seemingly for well over a month - but rather than moving onto an alternative target, we've arguably tried to batter West Brom into submission by a combination of our stubbornness and the knowledge that the player wants the move. When you look at it like that, its not actually quite so virtuous after all. So perhaps we should leave the references to greed and virtue out of it, and accept that the market is the market and business is business.

I also don't really agree that your point about the danger of us making mistakes. Firstly, it doesn't show a great deal of faith in Dyche's talent spotting - I think if Dyche has determined that Rodriguez is the player adds the missing dimension to our play, we should have sufficient confidence in him to assume it will be a successful move. Secondly, even if a move doesn't come off, in the Premier League we can afford a mistake or two (and we've not made any big money mistakes yet). It becomes a problem if we get relegated, but of course the surest way to increase the chances of relegation is to stand still in the market whilst all our rivals move past us. We may get relegated at some point, but there's absolutely no reason why with a small amount of strengthening it should be any time soon.

This is the point here. We're taking a bit of a risk with the strength and quality of our squad that we don't need to take. If West Brom are asking too much for Rodriguez; fine - move on to another tarket who might be a bit cheaper (but perhaps by definition less proven, so more of a risk). What we don't need to do is to leave ourselves short of numbers in key positions, or to leave ourselves a bit short on quality in the final third, when the margins in the Premier League are so fine. We'll judge the window once its closed, but with 3 days to go, we still need at least 2 players - and 3 if we feel we need a keeper - if this isn't to be judged another window in which we've ultimately ended up leaving ourselves unnecessarily short.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat summitclaret

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:37 pm

Quite simple really. If our transfer dealings start and end with Gibson, the window has been a sham.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:37 pm

I tell you what ....... Dyche is bloody brilliant ........ but his handling of recruitment will be a big question mark against him for bigger clubs.

Great news for us mind.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:46 pm

If Saturday was anything to go by, we already know where Wells fits and it won’t be near the first team. Strikers need a run of games, I appreciate that, they also need to grasp limited opportunities to shine, when they arise.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:47 pm

All a negotiating ploy for Jay Rodriguez.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Murger wrote:Quite simple really. If our transfer dealings start and end with Gibson, the window has been a sham.
You said we weren't going to sign anyone, so it's already exceeded your expectations.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:56 pm

The problem here is that the offer for Rodriguez was not considered to be generous - by West Brom, who want him to help them back to the Premier League this season. The difference between success and failure for them is about £100 million this year (its similar to us, and we're after another attacking player to help overcome the lack of penetration we had at times in the second half of last season). So West Brom have an asking price, and its entirely a matter for them. If we didn't want to pay £20 million, we should have moved on whenever we first began to get the impression West Brom weren't that likely to drop their asking price. Or we should have paid it to get our preferred target, even if through gritted teeth.

Its a sellers market, but we do seem to behave at times like the buyers have a monopoly on determining what is the "right" price.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Socrates wrote:I tell you what ....... Dyche is bloody brilliant ........ but his handling of recruitment will be a big question mark against him for bigger clubs.

Great news for us mind.
By that same token, bigger clubs would perhaps view his recruitment skills hampered by financial restraints (clucas) wouldn't really tarnish his reputation as a decent manager if anything it would enhance it vastly in lots of clubs hierarchy.