Dead line day Clarets only links

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Re: Dead line day Clarets only links

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote: It is astonishing that some teams have not only signed huge numbers of players but are still doing so right up to the last minute. .
It's as if teams like Wolves have owners over 120 times richer than ours?!! :roll: :roll:

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:28 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:Gibson was a good signing but was for a position we should have filled before last season. Hart could be a good bit of business if we sell one of our other keepers next season however the signing was a forced one as we couldn't do without another keeper while Pope and Heaton are injured. Vydra may work out to be an inspired choice but the jury is most definitely out on this one as he has a lot to prove at the top level.

Its the positions we are still desperately short in especially given our injury list that shows that this HAS been a poor transfer window. We are still short someone in midfield who has the potential to score more goals and to make runs into the box, we still lack pace in midfield, need another winger with pace and guile and we need someone who was in the Marney mold. Given we had the money available and are so lacking in players who are fit then it simply isn't good enough. We need at least 3 more in January but of course these will be more expensive. It is astonishing that some teams have not only signed huge numbers of players but are still doing so right up to the last minute. It seems we are not even linked with anyone for a loan which is patently ridiculous I hope we must surely have a couple of loans in by 5.00 pm but can't think who they might be so in fact there probably won't be any. Missing out on Jay-Rod for a couple of million, losing interest in Bolasie on a permanent deal and running out of time for JPW is really poor.
I would like to buy a Rolls Royce because it is what I need. However cant find one in my price bracket so bought a Range Rover

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm

I need to have a car but instead decided I would try and thumb a lift even though I could afford the car how daft.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:31 pm

"but was for a position we should have filled before last season"
"however the signing was a forced one as we couldn't do without another keeper while Pope and Heaton are injured"
"Vydra may work out to be an inspired choice but the jury is most definitely out on this one as he has a lot to prove at the top level."
"this HAS been a poor transfer window"
"We are still short someone in midfield"
"but of course these will be more expensive"
"It seems we are not even linked with anyone for a loan which is patently ridiculous"
"but can't think who they might be so in fact there probably won't be any"
"Missing out on Jay-Rod for a couple of million, losing interest in Bolasie on a permanent deal and running out of time for JPW is really poor."

I don't remember the last time I read such a lengthy pessimistic post.

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:31 pm

CombatClaret wrote:It's as if teams like Wolves have owners over 120 times richer than ours?!! :roll: :roll:
Yes but not all their players were expensive were they ?

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Marney and Arfield gone, 2 midfield players right there who haven’t been replaced. Yes you could say Hendrick will/May be utilised in central
Midfield where he should be in my opinion, however we’ve had a long long time to get another midfielder in and haven’t managed it so that does disappoint me, as does not managing to sign another winger. Vydra I’m pleased with, a proper number 10, who if he hits the ground running could score goals for us. Gibson very happy with also and I think Hart is a very clever signing for the situation we have in the goalkeeping department.

The window is over for us now. Hopefully the boys who are injured come back fighting fit and bulk our squad back up

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:Marney and Arfield gone, 2 midfield players right there who haven’t been replaced.
Arfield was replaced by Lennon
Marney hasn't featured since before last season.
This user liked this post: Rumbletonk

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:Drivel ? Why so ? Explain please I would be really interested.
I wouldn't call it drivel, but you want to sign four more midfielders on top of the 7 we already have in the squad? You know there's a maximum 25 player squad for the league - 8 defenders, 3 goalkeepers, 4 forwards, so we haven't even got room for 11 midfielders. Which midfielders do you want shut of?

I wouldn't agree your comments about Gibson being too late, either. If your first complaint is that we signed a centre half this year who we didn't need last year but if we had have needed him we hadn't got him - you're clutching at straws. You're working too hard to find something to complain about. It's time to admit that last season was more than good, it was brilliant, and there is no sensible criticism to say where it went wrong.
Last edited by dsr on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm

FactualFrank wrote:"but was for a position we should have filled before last season"
"however the signing was a forced one as we couldn't do without another keeper while Pope and Heaton are injured"
"Vydra may work out to be an inspired choice but the jury is most definitely out on this one as he has a lot to prove at the top level."
"It seems we are not even linked with anyone for a loan which is patently ridiculous"
"Missing out on Jay-Rod for a couple of million, losing interest in Bolasie on a permanent deal and running out of time for JPW is really poor."

Did you read the first bit of my post, just explain why my opinion is not valid, its not pessimism but the reality of the situation. Of course we have done great things as a team in recent years but seriously how can anyone think this transfer window couldn't have been better than it was given the positions we have lack of decent cover for or competition for.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Let's hope we do not pick up any more injuries during tonight's encounter in Turkey.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:37 pm

How many games has Marney played in the last couple of years?

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:37 pm

FactualFrank wrote:"but was for a position we should have filled before last season"

last transfer window when he logged on.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Why does everyone have to speak to each other so badly, if we all held the same opinion it would be boring.

I myself said I thought the club would get the deals done, to an extent we have. Gibson is a very good buy, I like the idea behind Vydra and Hart was needed given our current circumstance. That being said the team is still a little short in other areas, one or two more players would have turned this from an "okay" window to a very good one.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm

An opinion can still be valid and pessimistic it’s not mutually exclusive.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm

I have got to say there isn't half some crap posted on here.
Only my opinion of course
Last edited by The Enclosure on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32545 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:last transfer window when he logged on.
Just realised that LaLiga hadn't posted in a year since the last summer window.
This user liked this post: CombatClaret

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:Yes but not all their players were expensive were they ?
So because couple were under 10mil we should have signed them instead?
They can outsign/out wage us by such a huge margin why even bother comparing our window to teams like those.
Last edited by CombatClaret on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Just realised that LaLiga hadn't posted in a year since the last summer window.
Tony are pictures working? Can't seem to view mine.
Attachments
toyspram.jpg
toyspram.jpg (347.64 KiB) Viewed 3790 times

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

boyyanno wrote:Why does everyone have to speak to each other so badly, if we all held the same opinion it would be boring.

I myself said I thought the club would get the deals done, to an extent we have. Gibson is a very good buy, I like the idea behind Vydra and Hart was needed given our current circumstance. That being said the team is still a little short in other areas, one or two more players would have turned this from an "okay" window to a very good one.
We've had quite a string of outstanding windows. I don't see why this shouldn't be another one. Time will tell.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Just realised that LaLiga hadn't posted in a year since the last summer window.
yep, he's not interested in football, just transfers.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

The Enclosure wrote:I have got to say there isn't half some crap posted on here.
Only my opinion of course
Valid.

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:45 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Arfield was replaced by Lennon
Marney hasn't featured since before last season.
Does that mean we still aren’t light? No it does not. We were light a wide man then GKN came in on loan. He has gone, now we are still light a wide man. And as I said on an earlier post Defours injury record means we can’t rely on him, so another midfielder short too. It’s not whining it’s just my opinion, and also it’s clear to see that we struggle to create in the middle of the park with Westwood and Cork together

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:48 pm

dsr wrote:I wouldn't call it drivel, but you want to sign four more midfielders on top of the 7 we already have in the squad? You know there's a maximum 25 player squad for the league - 8 defenders, 3 goalkeepers, 4 forwards, so we haven't even got room for 11 midfielders. Which midfielders do you want shut of?
I didn't say 4 midfield I said 2 plus a winger. I seem to remember we bid for Clucas and Jay-Rod for midfield so seemingly Dyche our manager agrees with me. Defour and Brady not yet back to full fitness and we don't know how much pace or ability they may have lost. I believe we have a midfielder who spent most of last year injured Walters and Aiden O'Neill is not yet ready for us in the PL. Everyone knows Dyche wanted another winger so I think I am probably right on that too. Other teams have way more players than 25. number of them have virtually bought in ten players this window alone with not much evidence of any going out.

I repeat we had the money but just not the inclination to spend it. Although Dyche might publicly say he is happy with the squad I think that privately he will be extremely disappointed.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:48 pm

If people think that we've enough cover across the midfield areas, then fine - entirely up to them and their opinion. But the speed with which others jump down throats when someone expresses disappointment that we appear to have left ourselves short in that department is quite staggering. Even when reasonable observations are raised to justify that perspective. It isn't half unnecessary.

Incidentally - rightly its 30 games we could play before the next window. That was a typo. My apologies.
These 5 users liked this post: summitclaret RoystonVasey Vegas Claret DCWat BabylonClaret

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 pm

We've agreed longer deals with 3 crucial first teamers in JBG, Lowton and Mee.

We've strengthened by bringing in Hart, Gibson and Vydra. All three of which are very good signings in my opinion.

The Clucas deal fell apart for whatever reason. We clearly didn't get the right vibe when negotiations were on the table. Fine, I'd rather we didn't sign someone if Dyche isn't 100% sure he fits our mantra.

We've tried and failed to negotiate with WBA again. Well, what a surprise. I suspect WBA currently feel a whole lot worse about the Dawson fiasco than we do. They should have taken the money.

Overall it's been a good window. Not outstanding, but very good. If we'd managed to get one of Bolasie or Jay Rod over the line i think we'd all be saying it's the best window ever.

We're stronger than we were at the start of the window. Marney wasn't in the picture so he's no loss. Arfield, as much as I liked him, probably got to his expiry date. We're moving up and our targets are fancied by more than us I'm sure.

Have faith in the management. UTC!
Last edited by jlup1980 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Rick_Muller Longsider

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:51 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:Jay-Rod for midfield

Source, or just making stuff up?

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Yes quite true but family crises and injury accounted for my focus being elsewhere. Its nice to know that you think it is ok to take a pop at me over it. If that is your only logic in responding to my opinion then what a sad individual you are.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:Does that mean we still aren’t light? No it does not.
I wasn't replying as to whether we are light. I'm stating we replaced Arfield with Lennon and Marney didn't feature at all last season. I was simply saying you were incorrect with what you stated.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm

dsr wrote:We've had quite a string of outstanding windows. I don't see why this shouldn't be another one. Time will tell.
It could be, I do think the signing of Gibson is excellent business and as I said Vydra could be a very astute buy and fits a gap that we certainly had. Hart was also necessary given our Keeper situation. For me an outstanding window would have seen us bring in another wide player, I would have been quite happy with Antonio as oppose to Bolasie. The only disappointing thing is that the club seemed to be chasing another center mid, Clucas and Ward Prowse and we also seemed to be chasing a winger. It looks like we won't get either so it could have been better. In the grand scheme of things it certainly could have been a lot worse though.

Fingers crossed we look back and think this was a great window, as you've said: Time will tell. UTC!

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm

CombatClaret wrote:Source, or just making stuff up?
If you think JayRod is an out and out centre forward then it is you making stuff up. Really £20m for someone who wouldn't have ever started in front of Wood, Barnes or Vokes are you for real ?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6964 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm

I’m sure everyone would have liked an extra couple in, but they weren’t necessities. It’s not been a fantastic window but we’ve made some shrewd signings which appear to be fantastic value. We’ve also extended the contracts of a few key players without selling any. In my opinion the squad is far stronger than the one that started last season.

We have a minimum of two players for every position in the 2 systems that we play, apart from being one wide player down. And considering that our wide players are used in a more auxiliary role I don’t see this being the end of the world. It would have been nice to have a utility midfielder/wide man a la Arfield and another out and out wide player such as Bolasie but you don’t always get everything that you want. I can understand some being a little disappointed but can’t understand how anyone would think this has been a bad or ‘extremely disappointing’ transfer window.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:If you think JayRod is an out and out centre forward then it is you making stuff up. Really £20m for someone who wouldn't have ever started in front of Wood, Barnes or Vokes are you for real ?
He's a forward. Simple as that really.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm

jlup1980 wrote:We've agreed longer deals with 3 crucial first teamers in JBG, Lowton and Mee.

We've strengthened by bringing in Hart, Gibson and Vydra. All three of which are very good signings in my opinion.

The Clucas deal fell apart for whatever reason. We clearly didn't get the right vibe when negotiations were on the table. Fine, I'd rather we didn't sign someone if Dyche isn't 100% sure he fits our mantra.

We've tried and failed to negotiate with WBA again. Well, what a surprise. I suspect WBA currently feel a whole lot worse about the Dawson fiasco than we do. They should have taken the money.

Overall it's been a good window. Not outstanding, but very good. If we'd managed to get one of Bolasie or Jay Rod over the line i think we'd all be saying it's the best window ever.

We're stronger than we were at the start of the window. Marney wasn't in the picture so he's no loss. Arfield, as much as I liked him, probably got to his expiry date. We're moving up and our targets are fancied by more than us I'm sure.

Yannick Bolasie away from a superb window, without Bolasie still a very good window imo.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

Hedontplayforyou

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm

McNeil may get a little look in now and again which is exciting to think that a product of the Burnley youth program could be pushing for a place on the Premier League and Europa League, at least until January

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 pm

The window has SLAMMED shut.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 pm

karatekid wrote:The window has SLAMMED shut.
Thank god that's over,let's get down to business ...UTC.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 pm

6/10, missed that pacy wideman/frontman we needed.

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Don't think people are disappointed with the quality of the signings, just the quantity. Definitely a winger short.

Edit: I hope from now on we stay well clear of WBA.

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm

taio wrote:He's a forward. Simple as that really.
Given our likely formation would JayRod have started before Wood, Barnes and Vokes and now Vydra ? He would likely come on later in a game when we were chasing it from a losing position or if we had injuries to strikers. Jayrod would have come on to replace Hendrick in midfield when changing formations. Do you really think there weren't better out and out strikers to be linked with at £20m ?

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:13 pm

I'm delighted we stood firm and not buckled to WBA and Clucas. Clubs will be well aware now that we wont pay over the odds in any situation and we wont upset the dressing room by breaking our payment structure. Sometimes we'll miss out on players but refuse to be taken for a ride and a strong togetherness in the squad is critical. I'm proud of the way this club does it's business and maintains the Barnfield buzz
This user liked this post: longsidepies

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Wouldn't say we've strengthened the starting 11, but added to the depth.

An ok window as far as incommings, let's hope the missed wide man doesnt come back to bite us in the backside.

6/10

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Burnley Web Site have confirmed no further In's or Out's
https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/new ... ess-done-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UTC

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:21 pm

1 player short of an outstanding window...

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:23 pm

MACCA wrote:Wouldn't say we've strengthened the starting 11, but added to the depth.

An ok window as far as incommings, let's hope the missed wide man doesnt come back to bite us in the backside.

6/10
Surely we've addressed that lack of creativity/lack of goals from the no 10 position with Vydra. That was the big one for me. If he can make the step up of course

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Would liked to have seen a wide man come in but the most important areas CB and 10/Striker have been addressed. Jay Rod won't be worth anywhere near £20 million again and I thought WBA needed the money. We know not to bother dealing with them in future.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:Surely we've addressed that lack of creativity/lack of goals from the no 10 position with Vydra. That was the big one for me. If he can make the step up of course

Untried at this level, not upto speed yet, so can't see him starting until Sept at best. Might be behind Barnes and only get 10/15 minutes here and there.

We will wait and see before judging.

1 fit wide man currently is a concern, let's hope Brady doesn't break down, as JBG and Lennon aren't known as full season players.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:34 pm

claretandy wrote:6/10, missed that pacy wideman/frontman we needed.
Vydra isn't slow.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:39 pm

jlup1980 wrote:We've agreed longer deals with 3 crucial first teamers in JBG, Lowton and Mee.

Well said that man.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:41 pm

If we struggled in this window january will be fun

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm

As was the case since brady got injured we are very dependent on jbg. He needs to keep fit.