Dead line day Clarets only links

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Dead line day Clarets only links

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm

I blame the OP and this thread for no more signings.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:44 pm

I’d hoped for four / five incoming over the summer and this before there being any requirement for a goalkeeper.

Centre half was perhaps the key position to fill and I’m looking forward to seeing how Vydra fills the number 10 role.

This gives us the option to put Hendrick back to central midfield, although I’m a long way from being convinced by him.

Westwood is a decent enough back up though not one I’d want in for a significant run of games. He’s always going to give 100% but we miss a cutting edge with him in place of Defour.

Alongside Defour’s injury record, that’s my thinking behind needing an additional midfielder and the same logic can be applied to a winger - we’ve three of which one is currently injured and this after a lengthy lay off last season.

The signings made have been decent, just a little short in terms of numbers. To say otherwise is pretty daft when it’s blatantly obvious that we were looking at players in three other positions.
Last edited by DCWat on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: claretspice RoystonVasey BabylonClaret

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:I'm delighted we stood firm and not buckled to WBA and Clucas. Clubs will be well aware now that we wont pay over the odds in any situation and we wont upset the dressing room by breaking our payment structure. Sometimes we'll miss out on players but refuse to be taken for a ride and a strong togetherness in the squad is critical. I'm proud of the way this club does it's business and maintains the Barnfield buzz
'we'll ........... refuse to be taken for a ride'

Isn't that what West Brom have done for the last 2 months?
Poor window for me. Money in amounts never known to us before but caution is the key word as reflected in 2 signings from the division below us, one of which apparently we're not likely to see for a while. The injuries/niggles have come thick and fast and because of them I'd hoped for more numbers in.Just have to wait and see now who is available on Sunday.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Jon Walters starting tonight.

But it’s been a perfect window apparently.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 pm

DCWat wrote:I’d hoped for four / five incoming over the summer and this before there being any requirement for a goalkeeper.

Centre half was perhaps the key position to fill and I’m looking forward to seeing how Vydra fills the number 10 role.

This gives us the option to put Hendrick back to central midfield, although I’m a long way from being convinced by him.

Westwood is a decent enough back up though not one I’d want in for a significant run of games. He’s always going to give 100% but we miss a cutting edge with him in place of Defour.

Alongside Defour’s injury record, that’s my thinking behind needing an additional midfielder and the same logic can be applied to a winger - we’ve three of which one is currently injured and this after a lengthy lay off last season.

The signings made have been decent, just a little short in terms of numbers. To say otherwise is pretty daft when it’s blatantly obvious that we were looking at players in three other positions.
Competely agree. I think we've been unnecessarily cavalier in failing to bring in anyone to supplement the midfield area. The signings we've made I'm pleased with, I just think we're one, possibly 2 at a push, short.
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat RoystonVasey

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Socrates wrote:Jon Walters starting tonight.

But it’s been a perfect window apparently.
Who said it’s been a perfect window?

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:54 pm

I would agree with that Silky not a poor window but not a good one either Goal keeper needed and two Championship players one injured and not up to scratch both have to step up and show their worth the jury's out

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'd rather we spent wisely than pay more than we think a player is worth. We're not desperate in terms of strength in depth, plugged the glaring holes and not had our pants pulled down or unsettled the dressing room. Not perfect but that will do me

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 pm

MACCA wrote:Untried at this level, not upto speed yet, so can't see him starting until Sept at best. Might be behind Barnes and only get 10/15 minutes here and there.

We will wait and see before judging.

1 fit wide man currently is a concern, let's hope Brady doesn't break down, as JBG and Lennon aren't known as full season players.
I know he's not rated on here but Walters can play wide. He's become the worst player in the world whilst out injured
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:01 pm

We are not desperate fir money either. We have spent only about half of last year's profit. Take away the bonus for finishing 7th and the forthcoming sale of pope or tom and it would be a no cost window.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Longside4evr wrote:I would agree with that Silky not a poor window but not a good one either Goal keeper needed and two Championship players one injured and not up to scratch both have to step up and show their worth the jury's out
One injured and one not up to scratch?

Alternatively, we could look at them as a defender who was pushing for the England squad not too long ago and the top scorer in the championship last year.

Both need to step up but there’s nothing to say that they won’t / can’t. Gibson was a standout player for Boro in the PL and Vydra was very young when he had his last opportunity in the division.

I’m quietly confident that both will prove to be decent signings.

claretsmart
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by claretsmart » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Sorry but I'm not at all impressed by our work. In fact I'm angered.

I know no-one has kicked a ball yet and there are 38 games to go but to stand still in this division is to go backwards. Last season showed us that with the teams that went down. We have to get with the times.

The big issue for us is the number of games with the Europa League. We just do not have the squad to cope with the number of signings we've made. I really hope we've had all our bad luck with injuries in preseason but it hasn't been great so far has it?

If Brady and Defour can play most games this year we should be OK but somehow I doubt that they can.

I'd happily take a defeat over 2 legs in the next week and 17th now. I fear it could be a long old season but in Dyche we trust!

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Looking at the bottom three from last season, I’m not sure that any could be accused of standing still in terms of signings.

I do agree to some extent about standing still although there is certainly something to be said for consistency and continuity, it’s just finding that right balance.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/swansea-c ... on_id/2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stoke-c ... verein/512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/west-br ... verein/984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:26 pm

I cant believe people are moaning at what we have done this week.

MODS can we close the thread please, because pre 15:00 today it was a pleasure to view everyone getting along with the same goal and drive in mind. Now everyone are just throwing their toys out of the cot and and spoiling what was a good thread to read. Good while it lasted :)

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 pm

10 unknown transfers still being considered by the premier league, not saying any of them have anything to do with us though

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 pm

What did you expect when we have left ourselves short? Too many bragging when Vydra signed and we were linked with Bolas. The overall outcome is okay only and that is because Ben mee signed a new deal.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:33 pm

summitclaret wrote:What did you expect when we have left ourselves short? Too many bragging when Vydra signed and we were linked with Bolas. The overall outcome is okay only and that is because Ben mee signed a new deal.
Bringing in just two outfield players is a disgrace

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:33 pm

The thread should be kept open. No need to bury the not so good news.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:34 pm

I've been negative about how late we started our deals, but nobody can argue we've had a bad window.

Yes, I'm slightly disappointed that we didn't get some shiny new players today but the important question for the window is are we stronger or weaker than before.

Our main losses are Scott Arfield and Dean Marney. Deano hasn't played since before he got his ACL injury and was unlikely to feature this year. Scott was only really likely to feature if we got some major injuries.

In contrast we have added an England International quality defender in Ben Gibson, an England International quality goalkeeper with 75 caps in Joe Hart, and the top scorer in the championship who brings attacking pace we haven't had since Andre Gray left.

We have lost none of our important players and got the ones at risk of running down their contracts to sign new deals.

Doesn't sound a bad window to me no matter which angle you look at it from.
These 2 users liked this post: Tall Paul nil_desperandum

summitclaret

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes but there are 13 other clubs in our league and all but Newcastle are investing like hell. I wish people would stop thinking about the past and focus on the future.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:Does that mean we still aren’t light? No it does not. We were light a wide man then GKN came in on loan. He has gone, now we are still light a wide man.
Yes, we were light a wide man when GKN came in but then we signed Lennon so now he's gone we are one more than when we were light a wide man, therefore not light at all with your calculations.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Yes, we were light a wide man when GKN came in but then we signed Lennon so now he's gone we are one more than when we were light a wide man, therefore not light at all with your calculations.
Except we have lpst Arfield so we are back where we were?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:Except we have lpst Arfield so we are back where we were?
He was referring to GKN coming and going and not being replaced, not Arfield. And we brought Lennon in after GKN.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:09 pm

That isnt what i said at all, but never mind!

jlup1980
Been Liked: 856 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:45 am

summitclaret wrote:As was the case since brady got injured we are very dependent on jbg. He needs to keep fit.
If we lost Cork or JBG for a decent period we'd be in the brown stuff but we can't afford to bring in surplus in each area. We can't carry a 5th CM just in case. We're lacking out wide but we all know that. Brady will be back soon enough though and Walters will fill in when we're desperate.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am

3 keepers
2 right backs
2 left backs
4 centre halves
4 central midfielders
3 wingers
4 forwards

the three signings we've made are all good additions and address areas where we were a bit short.

we're looking a strong, well-balanced squad making us well-placed to build on the success of last year. we didn't need loads of new players; we're perhaps one short out wide but that's about it.

its been a good window overall although it would be better if they shortened it to two weeks to reduce all the skriking that goes on until the last week when the majority of business gets done across the board.
This user liked this post: Tall Paul

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 am

Transfer window is now history. The Premier League starts tonight! Got a ticket for Fulham so I’m happy. Bring it on!!

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 am

quoonbeatz wrote:3 keepers
2 right backs
2 left backs
4 centre halves
4 central midfielders
3 wingers
4 forwards

the three signings we've made are all good additions and address areas where we were a bit short.

we're looking a strong, well-balanced squad making us well-placed to build on the success of last year. we didn't need loads of new players; we're perhaps one short out wide but that's about it.

its been a good window overall although it would be better if they shortened it to two weeks to reduce all the skriking that goes on until the last week when the majority of business gets done across the board.

Totally agree with this and McNeill is looking good for the wide position too

Belgiumburnley
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 63 times

Post by Belgiumburnley » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am

According to France Football,we are after Stephane Mbia but so is Toulouse and Sampdoria

https://www.francefootball.fr/news/Une- ... bia/929484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am

Can we still sign free agents AND play them this season?

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am

Yes, provided they were free agents before the window shut.

Exactly what we did with Lindegaard last season.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 am

YaYa Toure if he drops his wage demands then? joe could put in a word for us.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6447 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am

mdd2 wrote:YaYa Toure if he drops his wage demands then? joe could put in a word for us.
Didn’t he say he’d play for £1 for a top six club? It’s not his wage demand that needs revising, it needs to be top 7 instead

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 am

Hatem Ben Arfa is without a club. Dyche and him would be a good fit. :D

Or more seriously, Bakary Sako is still available.

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:26 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:3 keepers
2 right backs
2 left backs
4 centre halves
4 central midfielders
3 wingers
4 forwards

So a squad of 22 players plus the possibility of 3 from Walters, Wells, Agyei, O'neill and Mc Neil to make it to 25. However Walters and Wells not really good enough or likely to go out on loan. O'neil and McNeil nowhere near ready enough hence why we were looking at JayRod, Bolasie and JWP as incomings or are you suggesting Sean Dyche didn't know who he wanted and why ? Remember also we don't know when Brady and Defour will be fit and whether they are still as good as before. We currently lack pace, creativity and good enough options to cope with a possible 30 fixtures before Christmas. Any long term injuries could be catestrophic.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:29 pm

stop crying lad.

enjoy the weekend and we'll see you again next transfer window.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:29 pm

If you believe what the mirror says it sounds like bolasie was coming to us on loan on transfer deadline day only for everton to pull the plug

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:07 pm

At least we have an extra 20 million in the bank instead of going all out to get Jay back

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Didn’t he say he’d play for £1 for a top six club? It’s not his wage demand that needs revising, it needs to be top 7 instead
A full £1, Joey Barton said he was willing to sign up for 50p

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... nce_a_week___/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The inflation associated with transfer fees and wage demands is getting seriously out of hand.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:If you believe what the mirror says it sounds like bolasie was coming to us on loan on transfer deadline day only for everton to pull the plug
Would Everton have been prepared to sell him to us?

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:53 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Would Everton have been prepared to sell him to us?
I think they wanted to sell him and didnt want to entertain any loans . He will now end up at boro on loan not sure if he got included in there 25 man squad