ARTICLE: We had to bolt together a team and come somewhere like this

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

ARTICLE: We had to bolt together a team and come somewhere like this

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Sean Dyche on tonight's game

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/we-had-to-b ... -like-this" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 8 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera FactualFrank PhiladelphiaChris Ashingtonclaret46 Wile E Coyote Colburn_Claret IndigoLake mybloodisclaret

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Re: ARTICLE: We had to bolt together a team and come somewhere like this

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 pm

He always speaks so well, clearly believes in all his players so they give him so much back in return.

The main concern for me though would be midfield without Defour and Brady. When you consider the additions in that area that the likes of Wolves and Fulham have made, it's almost scary. I've never known a season where the promoted teams have been so financially strong and it's imperative that we get off to a good start in the League or there will be problems ahead.
These 3 users liked this post: cockneyclaret RoystonVasey claretspice

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:14 pm

What on earth bit Chris wood ???!!! Glad he mentioned the support

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:it's imperative that we get off to a good start in the League or there will be problems ahead.
Good to know you are so positive about the season

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:What on earth bit Chris wood ?
Don't know what's happened but I'm sure I read today that it had hospitalised him

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Good to know you are so positive about the season
What a strange comment. I am positive but also realistic at the same time.
These 4 users liked this post: HieronymousBoschHobs RoystonVasey BOYSIE31 Goody1975

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:He always speaks so well, clearly believes in all his players so they give him so much back in return.

The main concern for me though would be midfield without Defour and Brady. When you consider the additions in that area that the likes of Wolves and Fulham have made, it's almost scary. I've never known a season where the promoted teams have been so financially strong and it's imperative that we get off to a good start in the League or there will be problems ahead.
Dyche knows when to praise his players,something Mourinho could learn,we had to dig in tonight and grind a result out.

It's a problem losing Defour and Brady but we'll cope,our first 5 games are Southampton(a)Watford(H)Fulham(a)Man U(H) and Wolves(a) of course there are no easy games at this level but you'd hope we can put 5-7 points on the board as a minimum,i agree the start is vital,in the previous 2 seasons we have piled on points early,and never been near the bottom 3,the Europa League is another hurdle to juggle at the same time,and this is when Sean will earn his stripes,knowing who to rotate and who is capable of 3 games in a week.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:30 pm

There is an arena where dyche works his magic, this is it again tonight, great result, iffy looking team playing away, and just about hours from start of another major campaign in the toppest of top leagues, and we earn a draw . things are looking very good.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1650 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Fair play to Dyche. I was critical about the choice of full backs and when JBG came off, but he had a bug so fair do. I very much hope and expect us to play a full strength team on Thursday.

As for the season, we are undoubtedly stronger than last. Defour wasn’t injured at the start or early months, but other than that we have only lost fringe players and gained 3 excellent additions, plus other players have improved. If you offered me now group stages and a 12th place finish I’d snatch your hand off, and that seems very doable.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Don't know what's happened but I'm sure I read today that it had hospitalised him
Yep he tweeted from hospital today, doubt he'll feature at the weekend !!

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 pm

We've drawn away in Istanbul, say it out loud!

Fantastic resolute performance. Players missing and others stepped up to the plate.

Don't tell me, they were there for the taking.
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretTony Colburn_Claret ecc simonclaret

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 am

I thought we did well. Our defence had to withstand heavy pressure over the course of the game and they didn't show any sign of cracking. A big improvement on the Aberdeen matches in that department.

We were ravaged on the wings, taking our midfield out of the equation at times. JBG looked good as always and Walters did well to say he has been out of action for so long. I think Taylor had a very good game at left back and Bardsley put in a competitive performance.

Hart looked confident in goal and he seemed to integrate really well with our defenders, which is a good sign when you consider he has only been with us for a couple of days.

We were down in strength and up against a good team. Despite our show of defensive resilience I think the result could have been worse if their players had worn their shooting boots.

The energy sapping heat looked to be a big factor, but our fitness levels were enough to overcome it and we didn't drop off the pace at all.

Our reduced selection pool for this game shows we can't afford to send anyone out on loan in the next few weeks. With more Europa games, cup runs and the league we will need everyone on our books to play a part at some stage. And that includes the youngsters.

Some very good signs that we are pulling everything together and I'm happy with a draw in the circumstances. A win, or an away goal didn't come, but the lads did us proud and I'm happy we came away with a draw.
These 5 users liked this post: Milltown1882 HunterST_BFC The Enclosure CleggHall ecc

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 856 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 am

Ben Mee and Tarks were unbelievable. It’s a foreign entity in a competitive game, Dyche has never done it and it’s fantastic to see him growing as a manager as the years go on, a lot of the players have never done it. Great result away and a 1-0 next week does the job. Turf Moor under the lights anything could happen.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure Hipper

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10254 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 am

Spot on, Milltown.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:40 am

Vegas Claret wrote:What on earth bit Chris wood ???!!! Glad he mentioned the support
I'm wondering if it's a tick bite that could have happened any time recently depending where he has been and the tell tale "bulls eye" rash has appeared - hence hospital - prob' iv antibiotics if so. Lyme. (seriously - everyone should be vigilant about this - golfing, rambling, pet walking etc etc)

Hope I'm wrong but it's not just a simple bug bite if he is in hospital.
This user liked this post: oswyclaret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6758 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 am

A horsefly bite can cause serious repercussions, particularly if the person bitten does strenuous activity/physical work.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 am

boatshed bill wrote:A horsefly bite can cause serious repercussions, particularly if the person bitten does strenuous activity/physical work.
not a hospital stay though?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:38 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:not a hospital stay though?
Yep, a friend of mine got bitten playing golf 3 weeks ago, 2 night hospital stay!

I didn't believe him when he told me.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 am

boatshed bill wrote:A horsefly bite can cause serious repercussions, particularly if the person bitten does strenuous activity/physical work.
I suppose the players 'down the road' become immune to horsefly bites.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:42 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:not a hospital stay though?
You’d be surprised.

I won’t post a pic but google it (although maybe not at breakfast).
They can become very infectious, swollen and lead to sepsis.
Hospital stays are sometimes required depending on the severity and need for IV drip

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 am

Royboyclaret wrote:He always speaks so well, clearly believes in all his players so they give him so much back in return.

That's only two teams.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 am

Royboyclaret wrote:What a strange comment. I am positive but also realistic at the same time.
Maybe trouble ahead doesn't suggest positive to me.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:13 am

ClaretTony wrote:Maybe trouble ahead doesn't suggest positive to me.
There's always a "maybe trouble ahead" in life, doesn't mean you can't be positive in your approach to tackling it.

Side note, how many would have taken any win at home to progress pre match?
I'd guess 99% of us, so it has to be seen as a good result all things considered, they looked a decent side.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 am

Full credit to Dyche.
The team showed a lot of grit. Poor with the ball and occasionally reckless in possession, but so committed to keeping a clean sheet I felt confident throughout.
Played the right team, the much maligned likes of Walters and Bardsley offer good experience at this level.
The only doubt in my mind is whether we can ‘up’ it to another level with the players at our disposal in the next two games. Injuries didn’t stop us pulling results out of the bag towards the end of last season. It is a bit of a poor do Dyche hasn’t got a stronger hand to play at this stage of the proceedings mind.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

It is a bit of a poor do Dyche hasn’t got a stronger hand to play at this stage of the proceedings mind.
It's more than a poor do, it's beyond words considering where we finished and the position of strength we were in!

But hey ho, that's the life of a Burnley fan and hopefully we can scrape together the odd win among a sea of draws over the next month or so until we can cobble together a fully fit first team. And there is the loan market that I hope we can take advantage of which altogether should put us in a steady solid position by the January window to reassess.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 am

We often say that sometimes we have to pinch ourselves with the progress and achievements at Burnley.

I'll bet Sean Dyche has to pinch himself too.

UTC

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 am

Whilst we have made 3 excellent additions to the squad one of those, Joe Hart, was really forced upon us due to the seriousness of the injury to Tom Pope forcing him to miss a large part of this season. When discussing our transfer requirements a goalkeeper would have been at the bottom of the list.

We have only bought in 2 outfield players which is short of the 3 or 4 many had envisaged a few weeks ago, and surely we need to address this shortfall in the Loan Window with a couple of quality players who will not look out of place in our first team. Fringe players who are never going to get a game does nobody any favours.

A great result last night and hopefully we will progress by winning at the Turf on Thursday.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 am

ClaretTony wrote:Good to know you are so positive about the season
With the team we are able to put out at the moment im in his camp as it will struggle - no creativity and no flair but people on here are happy to watch long punts upfield and hope for the second ball.
I really thought this summer would be the base for us to really push on as a team and as a squad but we are likely to go backwards.
Might not be Dyche's fault but sick of hearing about a difficult transfer window - we were safe at xmas so start planning then and if we have to spend a bit more money then spend it.
All we have done this window is replace 2 players who left last summer and a goalie due to injuries so we were desperate - if Pope had not got injured Hart would not even be here.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 am

BigChaCha wrote:It's more than a poor do, it's beyond words considering where we finished and the position of strength we were in!

But hey ho, that's the life of a Burnley fan and hopefully we can scrape together the odd win among a sea of draws over the next month or so until we can cobble together a fully fit first team. And there is the loan market that I hope we can take advantage of which altogether should put us in a steady solid position by the January window to reassess.
We can't go spending millions to cover for short term injuries.

There is no loan market available until the January window, we'll have to go with what we have.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:I thought we did well. Our defence had to withstand heavy pressure over the course of the game and they didn't show any sign of cracking. A big improvement on the Aberdeen matches in that department.

We were ravaged on the wings, taking our midfield out of the equation at times. JBG looked good as always and Walters did well to say he has been out of action for so long. I think Taylor had a very good game at left back and Bardsley put in a competitive performance.

Hart looked confident in goal and he seemed to integrate really well with our defenders, which is a good sign when you consider he has only been with us for a couple of days.

We were down in strength and up against a good team. Despite our show of defensive resilience I think the result could have been worse if their players had worn their shooting boots.

The energy sapping heat looked to be a big factor, but our fitness levels were enough to overcome it and we didn't drop off the pace at all.

Our reduced selection pool for this game shows we can't afford to send anyone out on loan in the next few weeks. With more Europa games, cup runs and the league we will need everyone on our books to play a part at some stage. And that includes the youngsters.

Some very good signs that we are pulling everything together and I'm happy with a draw in the circumstances. A win, or an away goal didn't come, but the lads did us proud and I'm happy we came away with a draw.
You are aware that they were far from full strengh dont you - they rested several players but yes a decent result but a horrid game to watch.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 am

We are t allowed to use the loan window we are Premier League Club. The entire window closed for us yesterday. What you see is what we’ve got.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 am

Tall Paul wrote:We can't go spending millions to cover for short term injuries.

There is no loan market available until the January window, we'll have to go with what we have.
Tell you now we will not get any loans in and not sure even if we are allowed.
Last edited by BOYSIE31 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:21 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:I really thought this summer would be the base for us to really push on as a team and as a squad but we are likely to go backwards.
If it's that easy why has no other team, outside of the big six, progressed season after season in the Premier League?

If anything, other than Leicester, we are the only club to have had any sort of success in recent years.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:22 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Tell you now we will not get any loans in who will be starters.
You're right, because we can't get any loans in.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 am

Spijed wrote:If it's that easy why has no other team, outside of the big six, progressed season after season in the Premier League?

If anything, other than Leicester, we are the only club to have had any sort of success in recent years.
We need progress to just keep out of the bottom 3.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:We need progress to just keep out of the bottom 3.
Even without Defour & Brady last season we comfortably did enough (Five wins in a row for example).

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 am

I know it's stating the obvious, but reading that article, we've got a bloody good manager you know.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:48 am

Getting into the realms of the ridiculous if a sensible, balanced comment like Royboy's is being shouted down. Others including the promoted clubs have spent a frightening amount of money improving their squads. We've chosen not to compete, or simply can't compete (it doesn't matter which for these purposes, and Royboy didn't offer an opinion on that). Which means our squad looks a bit thin by comparison, and in any event even if you don't accept that, its a given that there are fine margins in the Premier League and a faltering start can (or a very good start) can easily define the course of a season. If that's not a reasonable statement of the blindingly obvious, I don't know what is.
These 4 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 Goody1975 summitclaret Murger

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am

After watching the game last night I was really pleased with the performance and result.

I've spent five minutes on here..................................

This message board is totally unbearable, will rarely log in, in future.

The expectations of some are totally unrealistic.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Colburn_Claret

ecc
Been Liked: 1437 times
Has Liked: 1285 times

Post by ecc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am

Couldn't see the game. Scant coverage on the Internet. Botoom line is that we, Burnley, went away to unchartered territory (as a team although certain players have considerable European experience), got a draw and we sold 900 tickets despite the very short period between confirmation of the fixture, club cock-up, expensive flights etc etc.

Proud to be a Claret.

UTC

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:52 am

It was the type of performance we've seen from other teams against us over the last few seasons,especially in cup competitions. All the usual descriptive words come to mind; hard-working, busy,competitive,gritty etc.All to be commended,too but they all lean towards keeping the opposition at bay. Without the players to make a difference further up the field this pattern of play may become a norm rather than an exception for a while to come yet.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:09 am

Spijed wrote:Even without Defour & Brady last season we comfortably did enough (Five wins in a row for example).
Stop looking back thats now called history

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am

NL Claret wrote:After watching the game last night I was really pleased with the performance and result.

Pleased with what the defence performance ? as they was nothing i repeat nothing going forward.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am

NL Claret wrote:After watching the game last night I was really pleased with the performance and result.

Stop being an hysterical wuss. Most of the posts I've read are supportive of the team, You just get the odd knobhead trying to create a row but so what. The majority differ between happy with the result and performance and others wish we'd have been a bit more creative and had a bit more pace and that the ball didn't stick with the front players. Id say they are pretty sound observations from the game I watched.
This user liked this post: summitclaret

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Pleased with what the defence performance ? as they was nothing i repeat nothing going forward.
Stop looking back thats now called history

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 am

I watched it on the Youtube thingy and was fairly happy with the defensive performance but going forward was pretty poor and somewhat inept at times. But it was a cobbled together team so maybe we shouldn't have been too surprised. Overall 0-0 is pretty decent.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 am

Corky wrote:I watched it on the Youtube thingy and was fairly happy with the defensive performance but going forward was pretty poor and somewhat inept at times. But it was a cobbled together team so maybe we shouldn't have been too surprised. Overall 0-0 is pretty decent.
How dare you !! Do you not realise we lost to Hartlepool in 1988 !!

Goody1975
Been Liked: 991 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:04 pm

claretspice wrote:Getting into the realms of the ridiculous if a sensible, balanced comment like Royboy's is being shouted down. Others including the promoted clubs have spent a frightening amount of money improving their squads. We've chosen not to compete, or simply can't compete (it doesn't matter which for these purposes, and Royboy didn't offer an opinion on that). Which means our squad looks a bit thin by comparison, and in any event even if you don't accept that, its a given that there are fine margins in the Premier League and a faltering start can (or a very good start) can easily define the course of a season. If that's not a reasonable statement of the blindingly obvious, I don't know what is.
THIS

I am always positive about my club but observing things that you may think are an issue is far from being negative.

Royboy and Spice are two of the more sensible and intelligent members of this board and whether or not people agree 100% with their points does not mean they are not somewhere near the truth.

The decision (which may not be 100% the clubs fault) not to replace Arfield and Marney with two more players in the same position struggling to reach 100% fitness is a big risk, we may be fine, we may not but it is a valid concern.

We have a reasonable start fixture wise but the squad is slightly stretched while globetrotting and this could be an issue if we progress to the Europa League.

We don't want to be playing catch up after a slow start due to a lack of squad depth while we await players to return, players that might not return as quick as people hope.

Let's have three points on Sunday please.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Thing is over 2 legs we will be hard to beat and therefore could go quite far in the EL. That would be exciting. However have we the squad depth to cope with that and the ever increasing standard in the PL? Time will tell, but we are taking a risk we did not need to.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:20 pm

We didn't need to replace Marney, we've got 4 players already on the books who can play in CM.

Arfield played either on the wing or in emergencies in CM.

We've got several options already for the wing.