Dyche on Transfer Window: 'Worst I've Experienced'

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Dyche on Transfer Window: 'Worst I've Experienced'

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:01 am

Not sure if this has already been posted
"It's been the worst I've experienced, the hardest, the worst," Dyche said.

"Even some of the big, big clubs haven't got the player they wanted, very difficult. And even more for us - we're spending pretty decent money now, if you're looking at £10millions and £15million, that's decent money, and yet you can't scratch the surface.

"When you look at some of the clubs, Fulham, Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth again.

"We have a model, everyone knows that, and I'm not crying it in, I would spend everything if we had it, but it's very difficult, even when you have money"
From the Lancashire Evening Telegraph.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: Dyche on Transfer Window: 'Worst I've Experienced'

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:48 am

You'll find no sympathy from a good number of "fans" on here, Sean.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 am

First he says "Even some of the big, big clubs haven't got the player they wanted, very difficult"

Then he says "When you look at some of the clubs, Fulham, Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth again" in reference on how much they have spent and the amount of players they have brought in!

SD seems to be contradicting himself there!

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:You'll find no sympathy from a good number of "fans" on here, Sean.
I don't believe he does looking for sympathy, just telling it the way it is, as he does.

The fact is we will always be near the bottom of the buying market, no matter how much the Prem brings in. I'm happy to make a profit, as I believe a dry powder store is necessary, and it takes time to fill.
The question is how many years will it take before we can slacken the purse strings without fear of undermining all we've gained.

The first promotion paid off the debt.
The second promotion paid for the training ground.
The last 2 seasons should have seen us banking some money for the future. How much do we need......... debatable.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:18 am

Well constructed argument. He just says it as it is. We would be insane to bring in numerous players and break up the team that finished seventh.
Until we increase our gates to mid to top twenties thousand we will always be one of the lowest spenders.
These 2 users liked this post: Stayingup evensteadiereddie

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:20 am

BigChaCha wrote:First he says "Even some of the big, big clubs haven't got the player they wanted, very difficult"

Then he says "When you look at some of the clubs, Fulham, Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth again" in reference on how much they have spent and the amount of players they have brought in!

Where's the contradiction?
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

BigChaCha

Post by BigChaCha » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:43 am

Where's the contradiction?
:lol:

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:46 am

BigChaCha wrote::lol:
Man Utd struggled. Spurs couldn’t get Grealish.

Brighton/Fulham spent big

No contradiction at all.

Basically he’s saying teams like Us, Utd, Spurs only want certain players. If they can’t get that player due to high costs they’ll wait rather than signing a similar player.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 am

Says it after every window, the next one will be worse , getting boring now . Here’s a thought spend some of the 100million

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:49 am

bfcjg wrote:Well constructed argument. He just says it as it is. We would be insane to bring in numerous players and break up the team that finished seventh.
Until we increase our gates to mid to top twenties thousand we will always be one of the lowest spenders.

What! Who is asking for numerous players? Just needed a couple more. We don't need more money we dont spend enough of what we have. We can't fill the ground now and probably never will unless the top 5 are in town

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 am

We’ve a few other options, or a combination, something along the lines of...

1) Stay as we are and struggle to compete in the market, but know full well we’ve the right characters and great team spirit.

2) Relax the apparent ‘criteria’ which appears to narrow our target market significantly. Potentially running the risk of a few bad eggs

3) Get into a position where we can be active in the foreign market and the risks / rewards that this may bring.

4) Scour the market for the up and comings and look to turn big profits on players whilst benefiting from them in the meantime (Zayek types).

Whichever it may be, I do think that both the club and Dyche need to be a little less tied to the current approach, without of course dispensing entirely with what has served us to well up to now.

We are never going to compete with the big clubs or those with wealthy owners so there needs to either be full acceptance of what we are doing, or we adapt gradually.

The player or two short that we are isn’t unmanageable though it could come back to bite us, but for me the biggest shortcoming is our apparent inability to use the foreign market.
Last edited by DCWat on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:53 am

joey13 wrote:Says it after every window, the next one will be worse , getting boring now . Here’s a thought spend some of the 100million
We have. And a huge chunk of the revenue will be spent on our growing wage bill.
These 3 users liked this post: ElectroClaret Colburn_Claret Paul Waine

Safron
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Safron » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 am

I'm not too bothered at the transfer window I'm more bothered with the quality of football he serves up :(

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am

summitclaret wrote:What! Who is asking for numerous players? Just needed a couple more. We don't need more money we dont spend enough of what we have. We can't fill the ground now and probably never will unless the top 5 are in town
The bigger the draw the bigger the crowd but those days are long gone with games being all seater and ticket only.

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:59 am

BigChaCha wrote::lol:
So you can't answer the question then.

BigChaCha

Post by BigChaCha » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:01 am

Man Utd struggled. Spurs couldn’t get Grealish.

Brighton/Fulham spent big

No contradiction at all.

Basically he’s saying teams like Us, Utd, Spurs only want certain players. If they can’t get that player due to high costs they’ll wait rather than signing a similar player.
Bizarre. I'm pleased you know how exactly how SD thinks though. Maybe you are correct and we work in exactly the same way in the transfer market as the massive clubs above us and not like the actual teams we are competing with in the league!

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 am

Some mid-table type clubs spent big, but what have they got? Value for money?

BigChaCha

Post by BigChaCha » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 am

So you can't answer the question then.
What's the point. We all sprang from apes, but some didn't spring far enough.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:14 am

BigChaCha wrote:Bizarre. I'm pleased you know how exactly how SD thinks though. Maybe you are correct and we work in exactly the same way in the transfer market as the massive clubs above us and not like the actual teams we are competing with in the league!
So you want us to compete with clubs that played in the championship and are spending massively to be in this league next year? Rather than those that finished in and around us who just need an odd player or 2?

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:15 am

It's fair to say we under spent last year, and the same this year, we had up to £30m to spend on deadline day if you believe we were in for Jay and a winger, we would have then spent nearly £60m if we had got all our targets.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:19 am

He should have more to spend in january but i can see us struggling in the window as players values will be sky high unless players are coming to the end of there contracts

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 am

BigChaCha wrote:What's the point. We all sprang from apes, but some didn't spring far enough.
The point is that if you're unable to explain how it's a contradiction, then it's probably because there isn't one.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 am

Our transfer dealings will be judged in a few months. A lot hinges on the recoveries of Defour & Brady.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:28 am

In football you compete with your peers, but in terms of finance we have no peers. Clubs in the Prem either have a massive income through massive gates/merchandising and or multi millionaire sugar daddies.
We are unique, therefore we can only compete against ourselves. We can't be measured against anybody else in the Premiership. If nothing else, that should highlight how well we have done. We are still overachieving and will be for a few more years yet. In time the dry powder store might make us more competitive but it isn't today or next year probably.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:47 am

Normally we would be competing against the top Championship sides but there doesn't seem to be a lot of money being spent in the championship plus we have prem football to offer hence why Vydra and Gibson came here.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:51 am

It’s the worst transfer window Dyche as experienced using his/BFCs criteria for signing players. I don’t think it’s universally the worst transfer window ever for everybody whose taken part.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:08 am

Anyone think some of Sean's comments are "tongue in cheek?"

OK, just me that doesn't think Sean really meant "worst experienced."

Guardiola is reported in today's Times complaining that the Home Office has declined a work permit for a 20 year old from Brazil - that, apparently has not yet played for Brazil - but it already on City's books. Then there's the chap across the other side of Manchester...… and Spurs didn't sign anyone.

Burnley will always find the transfer market a challenge. Not only does the club need to agree a feee with the selling club they also need to agree wages with the player (and his agent) - and all those actors are doing is hearing the figures that the "top 6" and the "billionaire owners" are reported as paying.

And, it was always thus; we have always been a "selling club" needing to produce a number of stars and sell (at least) one on each season to pay the wages of the team for the next season.

That's what it means to be a Burnley fan.

But, things can't be that bad: The Times is forecasting Burnley to finish 8th this season. When was the last time that a pundit placed Burnley in the top half of the top division in his predictions?

UTC

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:17 am

The foreign scouting hasnt been very successful yet has it? I suspect belgian claret should have got a few quid from the defour deal going off our inabillity to find any decent foreign players matching our budget and demands.

If we’d have paid 20m we’d have got Rodriguez, Danny Ings has gone for 18m and hes hardly played in 3 years! :o

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:In football you compete with your peers, but in terms of finance we have no peers. Clubs in the Prem either have a massive income through massive gates/merchandising and or multi millionaire sugar daddies.
We are unique, therefore we can only compete against ourselves. We can't be measured against anybody else in the Premiership. If nothing else, that should highlight how well we have done. We are still overachieving and will be for a few more years yet. In time the dry powder store might make us more competitive but it isn't today or next year probably.
Huddersfield are certainly comparable in terms of size of club and Hoyle isn’t particularly wealthy, by PL standards.

Aside from that though, this season, all others I think are ahead of us in terms of size and / or owners wealth.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am

Take out the big 6/7 (Including Everton).

And despite all the challenges only Leicester have had more success than us in recent times.

No other clubs can say they've come close to achieving what we have.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:33 am

DCWat wrote:We’ve a few other options, or a combination, something along the lines of...

1) Stay as we are and struggle to compete in the market, but know full well we’ve the right characters and great team spirit.

2) Relax the apparent ‘criteria’ which appears to narrow our target market significantly. Potentially running the risk of a few bad eggs

3) Get into a position where we can be active in the foreign market and the risks / rewards that this may bring.

4) Scour the market for the up and comings and look to turn big profits on players whilst benefiting from them in the meantime (Zayek types).

Whichever it may be, I do think that both the club and Dyche need to be a little less tied to the current approach, without of course dispensing entirely with what has served us to well up to now.

We are never going to compete with the big clubs or those with wealthy owners so there needs to either be full acceptance of what we are doing, or we adapt gradually.

The player or two short that we are isn’t unmanageable though it could come back to bite us, but for me the biggest shortcoming is our apparent inability to use the foreign market.
good points you mention there DWat, but i dont think its as simple as that with the foreign market, Burnley often bring in players to nurture and they end up getting binned eventually.
Finding players abroad is equally fraught with risk, and if they are even slightly established, then the bigger fish are eager to have them on their books too.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:52 am

We need to find the next Defour type player and a better right winger still even though Lennon is ok for now.....

We also need to find a more dynamic striker, Perez went to West Ham for 4m could prove to be a bargain that, time will tell.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Spijed wrote:Take out the big 6/7 (Including Everton).

And despite all the challenges only Leicester have had more success than us in recent times.

No other clubs can say they've come close to achieving what we have.
What have we achieved that no other club has?

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:We need to find the next Defour type player and a better right winger still even though Lennon is ok for now.....

We also need to find a more dynamic striker, Perez went to West Ham for 4m could prove to be a bargain that, time will tell.
Got to agree with that, creativity is still our weak point, but hopefully we are looking for those players now, not waiting until December.
We should do it the Southampton way, start off with a dozen players who can do what we want, then whittle them down on likely cost, likely wages, SDs due diligence. We only need a couple of players a window.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:16 pm

KRBFC wrote:What have we achieved that no other club has?
When did palace, watford, bournemouth, cardiff, huddersfield, brighton, wolves last finish in the top 7 or qualify for europe?

When did any club do it with the lowest wage bill and no paid directors?

Turfmoor321
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Turfmoor321 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:21 pm

No paid directors Mmmmmmm!!

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:22 pm

People have been so brainwashed by the money what’s in the game that’s all they care about. All the wanna see is Burnley spend big

For instance had we sign Jack Cork for £40m and Chris Wood for £30m last summer and finished 7th they’d have been over the moon. But we “got away” with our gamble.

They just want to see money spent. Regardless of who comes in. £20m on J Rod would have made people happy for that very reason.

We’ve always have been about building steadily. A couple of players each window to strength the starting 11. It’s worked over the past few seasons. Why suddenly start spending big? Especially when players like J Rod wouldn’t improve us imo.
These 5 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 cricketfieldclarets CombatClaret Greenmile Stalbansclaret

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:25 pm

BigChaCha wrote:First he says "Even some of the big, big clubs haven't got the player they wanted, very difficult"

So your definition of "big big clubs" is............ Fulham, Huddersfield, Brighton and Bournemouth.

This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:When did palace, watford, bournemouth, cardiff, huddersfield, brighton, wolves last finish in the top 7 or qualify for europe?

When did any club do it with the lowest wage bill and no paid directors?
Southampton qualified for Europe 2 years ago, West Ham 3 years ago.

Turfmoor321

Post by Turfmoor321 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:33 pm

Fact of the matter money talks,fees increase & wages increase no point in banging the same old drum. I’m guessing the new deal Dyche signed last season was a vast increase on his previous contract.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:37 pm

DCWat wrote:Huddersfield are certainly comparable in terms of size of club and Hoyle isn’t particularly wealthy, by PL standards.

Aside from that though, this season, all others I think are ahead of us in terms of size and / or owners wealth.
Every other team has benefactors far, far, wealthier than us.

Huddersfield owners have 6 times more wealth than ours. Cardiff 10 times, Fulham 90 and Wolves 120 times wealthier than ours. Richest; ManCity have 550x more backing than us.

The clubs all get the same TV money so these are the finances which matter more & more. Also why it's fanciful to think other teams/agents would want to conclude early deals with us when we have the smallest finances available.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:41 pm

KRBFC wrote:Southampton qualified for Europe 2 years ago, West Ham 3 years ago.
What about the clubs he mentioned?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Turfmoor321 wrote:No paid directors Mmmmmmm!!
Can you prove otherwise?

Turfmoor321

Post by Turfmoor321 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:59 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Can you prove otherwise?
Ok pal back to reading the beano

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:10 pm

taio wrote:We have. And a huge chunk of the revenue will be spent on our growing wage bill.
We haven’t even spent what we received for Keane and Gray

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Turfmoor321 wrote:Ok pal back to reading the beano
You only had to say that you couldn't.

Pal

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:11 pm

joey13 wrote:We haven’t even spent what we received for Keane and Gray

We’ve never spent what we got for Austin.

#dycheout

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:What about the clubs he mentioned?
Why did he mention those clubs though? The post I quoted said all clubs apart from Leicester, Everton and the top 6.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:15 pm

CombatClaret wrote:Every other team has benefactors far, far, wealthier than us.

Huddersfield owners have 6 times more wealth than ours. Cardiff 10 times, Fulham 90 and Wolves 120 times wealthier than ours. Richest; ManCity have 550x more backing than us.

The clubs all get the same TV money so these are the finances which matter more & more. Also why it's fanciful to think other teams/agents would want to conclude early deals with us when we have the smallest finances available.
Hoyle said two years ago when he closed the academy down he wouldn’t be putting anymore of his own money in .

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 pm

joey13 wrote:We haven’t even spent what we received for Keane and Gray
If only our players didn't require payment for playing