Press Coverage

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gavster
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Press Coverage

Post by gavster » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 am

Ive been reading the coverage from the press interviews with SD and it seems like he is starting to get asked more serious questions or its a slightly different tone. Can you keep all three keepers happy, why did you buy JH, you are a long ball team. Are they starting to look past little old Burnley now and take us and SD seriously

jlup1980
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Re: Press Coverage

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 am

The long ball stigma frustrates me a little. I'm not going to say we don't play a direct style at times, but it tends to be when our backs are against the wall or we're playing against a side that is technically more gifted than us. It's either used as a way of relieving pressure or as a leveller.

You don't see many people praising how we played at Southampton for an hour do you? We played some really good football, a mixed style, but lots of good possession based football. It's shame the media has a blindspot to that.
These 2 users liked this post: gawthorpe_view Buxtonclaret

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2937 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Long ball is a good out ball option when we're under the cosh, but is by no means the only option we have, our football on the ground against Southampton was excellent, especially in the first sixty minutes.
The report in The Sun on Monday called our football 'classy at times'.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2338 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:Long ball is a good out ball option when we're under the cosh, but is by no means the only option we have, our football on the ground against Southampton was excellent, especially in the first sixty minutes.
The report in The Sun on Monday called our football 'classy at times'.
Shocking long ball played by Wayne Rooney for DC United the other night !! Should be ashamed of himself ! :D

gawthorpe_view

Post by gawthorpe_view » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Shocking long ball played by Wayne Rooney for DC United the other night !! Should be ashamed of himself ! :D
Sorry, not seen it.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2338 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:18 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:Sorry, not seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoOktcC-IVQ

gawthorpe_view

Post by gawthorpe_view » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Obviously been watching Matt Lowton.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:05 pm

The long ball team stuff is brilliant in my eyes. Let them believe what the hell they like. We’ll play em off the park with ease.

DavidEyresLeftFoot
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by DavidEyresLeftFoot » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:08 pm

jlup1980 wrote: You don't see many people praising how we played at Southampton for an hour do you?
The Sky sports app commentary made some sarcastic comment on Sunday after about 10 minutes about us actually managing to put 2 passes together. It’s unbelievably frustrating.

claretinkorea
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by claretinkorea » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 pm

I think the reality is that since Burnley got promoted, most of the 'headlines' related to 'time since...' 'size of budget...' have now been wiped out. People (the media) have stopped viewing the clarets as 'plucky' or punching above their weight (no more so clear than the views that the various outlets took on the tie with Aberdeen). That view won't sell stories anymore.

So they need to ask the kind of critical questions that are more often saved for the more established clubs.

All I can say is that this is a great compliment to SD and the club and how far we have come, and that the expectation is that we are moving up a level (the fairytale stuff is kind of over now... - for them).

I couldn't be enjoying it more!!! :D

clitheroeclaret2
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by clitheroeclaret2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Coverage generally is awful. Unless there is something negative of course to report. Tomorrows headline will be the lack of Istanbul fans at the match.
Made a formal complaint to BBC earlier about our 5 live match "preview" last sunday.............

Tuned in Sunday lunchtime to hear preview of my club Burnleys game with Southampton. The presenters waffled on about Liverpool this, Liverpool that, until eventually going over to Southampton just before the 1pm news.

Some guy, think he was called Claridge INSTEAD OF TALKING ABOUT THE SAINTS V CLARETS GAME started banging on about liver blinking pool!!!!!!

Eventually in the last 5 seconds he said something like "Sean Dyche just keeps doing it"

Any chance of a mention tonight about Burnleys fantastic return to European competition in 50 odd yrs v Instanbul?

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:46 pm

The radio 5 coverage last Sunday was depressingly Southampton-centric. Even though it was acknowledged that we were out-playing Southampton this was viewed from a "Southampton have started awfully" perspective and subsequent revisits were generally discussed along the lines of "Southampton are still struggling", "signs of improvement from Southampton" or "Southampton getting on top now". Jonathan Overend in the studio was particularly guilty of this ...it was like listening to Radio Southampton.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:57 pm

That's just what happens when people talk about football, who don't really understand football.

All styles of football can be beneficial in different scenarios, against different teams. Just as the starting eleven also often needs to take into account the opposing team and players.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Once people have a perception of what you are - in our case a long ball team - it becomes almost impossible to get away from that view. Even the Basaksehir Manager despite saying he watched us against Soton still persists with the long ball view, in his latest interview, even though for a good two thirds of that match we outplayed Soton by out passing them and keeping the ball on the deck.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1817 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Long ball? Let 'em think it, suits us.