Oldest squad

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Oldest squad

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 am

Burnley have the oldest squad in the premier league with an average age of 28......interesting.
'PL squads compared'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11473284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Re: Oldest squad

Post by Socrates » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 am

Nice stats.

The other thing I took from that is how many Premier League games we have in the squad. Amazed how high we are.

bedfords
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by bedfords » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:20 am

Socrates wrote:Nice stats.

The other thing I took from that is how many Premier League games we have in the squad. Amazed how high we are.
We probably have as many champs league appearances across the squad as we did prem appearances when Dyche first took us up. Experience throughout the squad now.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 am

Our experience was the thing that stood out for me as well.

"Manchester United have the most experienced Premier League squad, collectively racking up 3,009 appearances in England's top flight, followed by Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Burnley."

What a lovely sentence that is for us!!

Our GK department must be the most experienced in the league this season:
Joe Hart 322 apps
Tom Heaton 77
Nick Pope 35
Anders Lindegaard 19

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... ppearances

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:03 pm

And quite a number of clubs are more “English” than we are. So we might be old but we’re experienced and with a balance of nationalities

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Our squad age isn't really a problem, provided we keep it under review and take steps to renew it in key areas. We work on a 3 year player turnover generally speaking, and if you throw that forwards, an average age of 31 wouldn't be "too old" in itself (but it would be very short term).

That's one reason why another midfielder/wide player this summer would have been nice. It'd have become a bit of succession planning.

Stats about appearances etc. very interesting.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:31 pm

claretspice wrote:Our squad age isn't really a problem, provided we keep it under review and take steps to renew it in key areas. We work on a 3 year player turnover generally speaking, and if you throw that forwards, an average age of 31 wouldn't be "too old" in itself (but it would be very short term).

That's one reason why another midfielder/wide player this summer would have been nice. It'd have become a bit of succession planning.

Stats about appearances etc. very interesting.
Even if it was 29 year old Bolasie?

skibum84
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by skibum84 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:33 pm

The experience of our squad compared with other recently promoted teams is interesting.

I assume the clubs have had to name their 25 man squads by now? I was expecting a few clubs to struggle naming 25 players with a max of 17 non homegrown players. Teams like Watford, West Ham and Arsenal don't seem to have many home grown players.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Even if it was 29 year old Bolasie?
Well, no. But then that's why I personally wasn't in favour of signing Bolassie. I did quite like the idea of James Ward Prowse, though.

There's absolutely no immediate problem, but I do think this is the point at which the its important that Dyche is counter balanced within the club when it comes to signings. He should always have a veto over signing players, but equally there's a role for someone else to ensure that that there's a long term view being taken in. Even a manager like Dyche who clearly buys into the idea of a long term plan has an in-built temptation to take a more short term focus - a seasoned pro here might make it a really good season now rather than a good season, and he might get that move to a bigger club etc. - so that seasoned pro might be in ours and Dyche's short-term interests, but it might not be the right thing looking further ahead. I'm not suggesting Dyche does think that way - I've really no idea - but its a natural temptation.

I'm sure we do this - I know Garlick is hands on when it comes to signings, so I'm very relaxed - but its an interesting dynamic nonetheless.