Burnley v İstanbul Başakşehir - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Re: Burnley v İstanbul Başakşehir - Player Ratings

Post by SalouClaret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:32 am

Roosterbooster wrote:Absolutely. The idea that fans should be able to think for themselves, and ever disagree with Dyche’s comments is blasphemous

Nothing against people having an opinion. I've got nothing against people believing the earth is flat, but they are still wrong... the same applies here.

OffTheBar
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by OffTheBar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:37 am

Hart 8
Bardsley 7
Long 9
Gibson 9
Ward 6
Lennon 8
Westwood 7
Hendrick 7
Taylor 7
Barnes 8
Vokes 5

Gudmudsson 7
Cork 7
Wood 6

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:46 am

Hart 8

Bardsley 7
Gibson 8
Long 8
Ward 7

Lennon 7
Westwood 7
Hendrick 6
Taylor 6

Vokes 6
Barnes 6

Wood 6
Cork 8
Gudmundsson 5

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:04 am

Hart 8 looked hesitant a few times coming out but to be expected with a new line up in front of him.
Bardsley 8 the best I’ve seen him for us.
Long 8 very good
Gibson 7 started his time with us quite solidly
Ward 7 stuck to it
Taylor 5 tough for him but I wouldn’t completely dismiss him in this position.
Lennon 6 wasteful
Hendrick 6 did well for the goal but poor distribution
Westwood 5 unusually poor with the ball
Vokes 4 offered next to nothing
Barnes 5 awful decisions in first half. Improved in extra time

Gudmundsson 3 really really poor. Very unlike him
Wood 4 like Vokes offered nothing
Cork 9 helped us control the game in a way we couldn’t before. Stunning strike

edwardianclaret
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by edwardianclaret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:17 am

Hart 9
Bardsley 6
Long 9
Gibson 9
Ward 7
Lennon 6
Westwood 8
Hendrick 7
Taylor 7
Barnes 6
Vokes 5

Gudmudsson 6
Cork 8
Wood 5

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am

Hart 8
Bardsley 7
Long 8
Gibson 7
Ward 6
Taylor 6
Hendrick 6
Westwood 6
Lennon 6
Barnes 6
Vokes 6

Cork 8
JBG 6
Wood 5

After first 25 minutes, when it should have been out of sight, it became very similar to first leg, where they had plenty of the ball, but thankfully they couldn't get past Jo, mainly due to our total lack of ball retention, plus some strange ones from the ref.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:48 am

I really don’t think those who keep bleating about choice of team line-up have much to hang their hat on.
Our defenders all performed admirably and kept a clean sheet.
Really the only disappointment for me was the absence of Cork, but you couldn’t sit there and argue we’d have definitely won earlier had he started, and bringing him in against a tiring team effectively was the tactic that won the tie.
Dyche clearly felt the way to beat this lot was to play very directly and stick rigoutously to the framework. There were times in the game when it felt we were almost overdoing it, Lennon is a classic for falling back into a defensive posture rather than perhaps seizing a chance to attack; and they were actually pretty good defensively, so our long ball stuff didn’t disrupt them, hence the tactical stalemate.
Aside from our fine performing defenders, all the other team members played at Southampton. Gudmundsson was pretty poor at the weekend and has been affected by illness I understand, so three full games in a week might have been judged too much for him.
Dyche deserves great credit for steering us through this tricky start to the season without conceding a goal while involving most of his squad. To say he’s betraying the fans is a pretty ridiculous accusation.
These 5 users liked this post: 1968claret Stalbansclaret Lord Beamish Top Claret simonclaret

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:52 am

Hart - 9
Bardsley - 6
Long - 7
Gibson - 7
Ward - 6
Taylor - 6
Hendrick - 7
Westwood - 6
Lennon - 5
Barnes - 7
Vokes - 4

Cork - 8
Wood - 5
Gudmundsson - 5

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 am

Hart - 9 Superb and made some good saves
Bardsley - 8 Kept going all night some good runs down the right and defensively solid
Long - 9 MOM incredible. Won pretty much everything and his passing and carrying of the ball is coming along as well. Just keeps getting better every time I see him.
Gibson - 9 Similar to Long. Slotted in effortlessly and looks a very good player and competition to Mee and Tarks.
Ward - 8 Worked hard all night and made some good tackles. Created space well for Taylor when going forward.
Lennon - 7 Typical Lennon really. Hurrried and hastled, Defensively did well, and his pace and movement causes issues for defenders. Problem as always is a lack of end product and drifts out of the game as it goes on.
Westwood - 8 Immense in the first half, but less effective in the 2nd. Was surprised to see him go off unless it was to preserve him for Sunday.
Hendrick - 6 Seemed lost at times and couldn't seem to find the right pass. Played himself into trouble a few times. In his credit though he kept looking for the ball, tried hard and was a super set up for Cork's winner.
Taylor - 6 You could tell he wasn't used to the position and it will take more time for him to get comfortable there I think. Even his usually flawless delivery was poor last night.
Barnes - 6 Did very little for the first 80 mins or so and missed a great chance to win it in the 90. Most impressive thing he did was realise the ref was a soft touch and fall over in front of defenders to win free-kicks.
Vokes - 7 fed of scraps. Won a lot of his aerial battles and ran hard chasing the ball down.

Wood - 6 his touch needs work and he has to be stronger. Not great with his back to goal.
Cork - 8 Typical Cork. Dependable, always where the play is and a great finish.
JBG - 7 Didn't really offer too much after coming on but always looks threatening and his corners were a big improvement on those of Westwood.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:06 am

NL Claret wrote:Good to see credit has been given to Hendrick for his part in the goal. Most were probably cursing him when he passed instead of shooting.
He nearly fell over the ball before passing so was quite lucky as he probably should have shot himself

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 am

ClaretTony wrote:And Dyche said of Hendrick: "Jeff Hendrick – sometimes the fans can question him but I thought he was absolutely tremendous."
Saw a different game to me then as Emre ran him ragged and he is 37.

Never been a 13 million player since he came here so dyche will defend him.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:37 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Saw a different game to me then as Emre ran him ragged and he is 37.

Never been a 13 million player since he came here so dyche will defend him.
Emre is technically a better player than many in the PL and will do the same to the majority in this league, so what's your point?

NL Claret
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:43 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:He nearly fell over the ball before passing so was quite lucky as he probably should have shot himself
Thanks for that BOYSIE31, how naive of me. I will not credit Jeff Hendrick ever again as it would appear to be a fluke or luck if he was to ever do anything good. I must try to be more negative like yourself.
These 4 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR Ashingtonclaret46 Paranoid Stalbansclaret

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:52 am

Can't understand all the high marks for any of our midfielders bar Cork.

Other than the first half where Westwood had a few creative moments and the introduction of Cork, our midfield was woeful and lacked any kind of creativity whatsoever.

The only positive I can say is that they defended well and held our shape. Like I have said before Burnley are world beaters without the ball and yesterday was a perfect example. We soaked up all the 2nd half pressure and everything the Turks through at us, we hit them in extra time with a wonder strike.

I am not complaining just expressing an opinion
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 Giftonsnoidea

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:03 pm

SalouClaret wrote:Nothing against people having an opinion. I've got nothing against people believing the earth is flat, but they are still wrong... the same applies here.
And you believe yourself

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2561 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:He nearly fell over the ball before passing so was quite lucky as he probably should have shot himself
I know Hendrick isn't the most popular Burnley player, but it's a bit harsh to suggest he should commit suicide.
These 4 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 jedi_master SalouClaret Stalbansclaret

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Spijed wrote:Emre is technically a better player than many in the PL and will do the same to the majority in this league, so what's your point?

Really you seriously think a top 6 side here would sign him ?

No didnt think so and at 37 we should have had too much for him - but sadly he controlled the majority of the game.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:09 pm

NL Claret wrote:Thanks for that BOYSIE31, how naive of me. I will not credit Jeff Hendrick ever again as it would appear to be a fluke or luck if he was to ever do anything good. I must try to be more negative like yourself.
No problem but it was a very lucky assist - he stumbled over the ball as he did not know wether to shoot and then just about laid it off to Cork before challenged.
Open those eyes the claret tinted ones.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Hart 10

Bardsley 6

Long 8

Gibson 8

Ward 7

Taylor 6 - we really should have left wing cover!

Westwood 6

Hendrick 7 +1 for assist generally a poor game from him

Cork 9 - amazing finish, touch of class

Lennon 6 missed another one on one

Barnes 6

Vokes 5 slow, like running through treacle

Wood 5

JBG 6

Very lucky we had Hart between the sticks, need to be full strength against olympiacos to stand a chance in both legs.

Crying out for better midfield cover, i dont think we banked on getting this far.

Would be great to make the group stages, not spending that extra £2m on jay rod may come back to haunt us, we look incredibly slow up front with Vokes and Barnes.

Desperately need a fast skillful attacker, still......

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:17 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:No problem but it was a very lucky assist - he stumbled over the ball as he did not know wether to shoot and then just about laid it off to Cork before challenged.
It was such a poor lay off that Cork did not even need to adjust to place his shot in the corner. Terrible, he should have made it a lot more difficult for Jack.
These 3 users liked this post: NL Claret SalouClaret Stalbansclaret

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Hendrick is an enigma.

He has such quality on the ball, and sometimes when he gets into a run has the ability to dribble past players better than most that we have. Other times he appears lazy/limited in that he is not the quickest so when his decision making (which is also seemingly slow) fails him, he gets caught in possession, queue the groans.

The assist last night was top drawer, and he did some other really good things throughout the game - interspersed with examples of what I mentioned earlier. A real curate's egg of a player, and will no doubt divide opinion for however long he is at Burnley.

I'd say he is worth a 7/10 for last night, marked up one for the assist where he showed some real composure.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:24 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Really you seriously think a top 6 side here would sign him ?

No didnt think so and at 37 we should have had too much for him - but sadly he controlled the majority of the game.
Forget the guy's age, he showed that a deep lying playmaker needs absolutely no pace. Not just because of his age and nationality when I say this, he reminded me very much of Tugay when he was at Blackburn.

Emre was an absolute class act in both legs, and even coming up to 38 I would take him at Burnley for a year in a heartbeat. Quality, never wasted a pass and involved for the entire game - a quite beautiful player.

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:26 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:No problem but it was a very lucky assist - he stumbled over the ball as he did not know wether to shoot and then just about laid it off to Cork before challenged.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5004 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Hart - 9
Bardsley - 8
Long - 9
Gibson - 8
Ward - 7
Taylor - 8
Hendrick - 7..cant believe some of the lower scores, look at the tracking back and breaking up of their attacks he did. Team player last night.
Westwood - 8
Lennon - 7
Barnes - 7
Vokes - 6

Cork - 9
Wood - 5
Gudmundsson - 6

burnley007
Been Liked: 631 times
Has Liked: 668 times

Post by burnley007 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:42 pm

ClaretTony wrote:This is probably because either you weren't at the game or you weren't watching. Dyche didn't defend his player here, he made a clear point about how well Hendrick played last night. He was excellent at Southampton too.
I was at the game. It's my opinion. I apologise for having an opinion on a forum. I will now tow the line and just agree with everything.
:roll:
This user liked this post: superdimitri

ClaretFelix
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 123 times

Post by ClaretFelix » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Hart 8 - Saves were pretty routine but he made absolutely sure there were no rebounds with great handling

Ward 7- I though he and Taylor worked very well together. Contained their right side who bombed on at every opportunity

Gibson 8 - positionally sound, good in the air, quicker across the ground than I thought and full debut. Couldn't have asked for any more

Long 9- pipe and slippers for him and Gibson. Had their strikers in their pockets throuhout, even after the changes.

Bardsley 8- excellent defensively and a threat going forwards. Looked to have channelled his aggression well resulting in more rounded performance

Hendrick 7- looked more comfortable in a two. That being said he looked wary of making runs forwards for fear of allowing Emre to progress forward with the ball
Westwood 8- good in possession and switches play early, and strong in the tackle
Lennon 6- strays to narrow for my liking, there were a number of times he drifted inside when he could've stayed wide to really stretch their defence to create gaps
Taylor 7- ran himself into the ground with Ward. A threat going forwards too, and was unlucky a number of his crosses were blocked with last ditch tackles

Vokes 7- excellent in the air, dominated their centre halves, ran out of steam
Barnes 7- shouldve done better with his two chances but caused them no end of trouble with his closing down, particularly in the first half

Cork 8- what a goal. A calming influence from the moment he came on
Wood 6- he's a unit but was bullied by their centre halves when he came on
JBG 7- didn't get as much of the ball as would've liked but entered the fray in the middle of their purple patch so plenty of defending to do doubling up on the advancing Clichy.

A word for their number 7 Visca. Absolutely brilliant in both legs. A constant threat with his quick feet and pace. Would like to see more of this chap

SheepyAFC
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by SheepyAFC » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Well done last night from the dandy dons.

Interesting to see there was no-one in the away end which is disappointing for atmosphere. A Lot of you seemed rather miffed when you drew us instead of a euro team, but I guarantee you don't have a better atmosphere all season let alone europe.

Anyone take it serious and go as far as you can in the competition and don't underestimate the competition as you fans will love the journey.

Stand Free
These 2 users liked this post: superdimitri Holtyclaret

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 7
Long 7
Gibson 7
Ward 6
Lennon 6
Hendrick 6
Westwood 7
Taylor 5 not the position for him
Barnes 6
Vokes 5

Subs
Wood 5
Cork 8
JBG 6

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:25 pm

ClaretFelix wrote:Hart 8 - Saves were pretty routine but he made absolutely sure there were no rebounds with great handling

Ward 7- I though he and Taylor worked very well together. Contained their right side who bombed on at every opportunity

Gibson 8 - positionally sound, good in the air, quicker across the ground than I thought and full debut. Couldn't have asked for any more

Long 9- pipe and slippers for him and Gibson. Had their strikers in their pockets throuhout, even after the changes.

Bardsley 8- excellent defensively and a threat going forwards. Looked to have channelled his aggression well resulting in more rounded performance

Hendrick 7- looked more comfortable in a two. That being said he looked wary of making runs forwards for fear of allowing Emre to progress forward with the ball
Westwood 8- good in possession and switches play early, and strong in the tackle
Lennon 6- strays to narrow for my liking, there were a number of times he drifted inside when he could've stayed wide to really stretch their defence to create gaps
Taylor 7- ran himself into the ground with Ward. A threat going forwards too, and was unlucky a number of his crosses were blocked with last ditch tackles

Vokes 7- excellent in the air, dominated their centre halves, ran out of steam
Barnes 7- shouldve done better with his two chances but caused them no end of trouble with his closing down, particularly in the first half

Cork 8- what a goal. A calming influence from the moment he came on
Wood 6- he's a unit but was bullied by their centre halves when he came on
JBG 7- didn't get as much of the ball as would've liked but entered the fray in the middle of their purple patch so plenty of defending to do doubling up on the advancing Clichy.

A word for their number 7 Visca. Absolutely brilliant in both legs. A constant threat with his quick feet and pace. Would like to see more of this chap
Yeah! Visca looked quality,he is contracted till the Summer of 2020,market value is rumoured to be about 9-10 million,he is 28 though and may not fancy a move to England,certainly one we should have an eye on in January,would give our midfield some craft and goal threat,we are very reliant on Corky ATM.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:33 am

Hart 8
Bardsley 6
Long 8
Gibson 7
Ward 7
Lennon 6
Hendrick 6
Westwood 7
Taylor 7
Barnes 7
Vokes 5

Subs
Wood 5
Cork 8
JBG 6
Tarkowski n/a

Wilsdenclaret
Been Liked: 105 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by Wilsdenclaret » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:47 am

Hart 9
Bardsley 7
Ward 6
Gibson 8
Long 8
Taylor 6
Westwood 8
Hendrick 6, much improved
Lennon 7
Barnes 7
Vokes 5
Wood 6
JBG 6
Cork 8

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi lancaster,

"Jesus, there is no way anyone was dreaming that in the 4th Division, and some perspective would not go amiss."

Sadly you're right: perspective is a commodity in short supply on here but I think it's probably the same on all football forums. It's not helped by the knee-jerkery of the media. If there was less Sky/Talksport BS maybe, just maybe, some fans would think a bit more.

I feared people's expectations would rocket as we've progressed and unfortunately that's the case.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46