Michael Jolley Interviewed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Michael Jolley Interviewed

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 am

Talking about Sean Dyche.

https://youtu.be/2DY00jL17JY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies Colburn_Claret Rumbletonk

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 670 times

Re: Michael Jolley Interviewed

Post by burnley007 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:47 am

Excellent stuff

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:52 am

Brilliant stuff said with absolute honesty from the heart once a claret always a claret
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:36 am

Cheers for posting gawthorpe, enjoyed that.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:43 am

What’s clear about Dyches input is that when players arrive, they leave as better players. Can anyone think of a player who Dyche has signed not really progressed?

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2971 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:47 am

[quote=" Can anyone think of a player who Dyche has signed not really progressed?[/quote]

Wells, unfortunately.
Last edited by Funkydrummer on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6481 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 am

Nice words,forgive me who is Michael Jolley?

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 am

claptrappers_union wrote:What’s clear about Dyches input is that when players arrive, they leave as better players. Can anyone think of a player who Dyche has signed not really progressed?
Nahki Wells, Keith Treacy.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:55 am

He tried with Treacy but I don't think any manager could have solved his problems. He suffered with Depression and is no longer playing professional football despite only being 29.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Nice words,forgive me who is Michael Jolley?
Under 23 manager for 3 years according to video description

Between 2014 and 2017, Michael Jolley spent three seasons working with the Under-23 team at Burnley. Now in charge of Grimsby Town, via a short spell at AFC Eskilstuna in Sweden, Jolley talked to us about what he learned from Sean Dyche in that time, and why he believes the Burnley manager has had such a hugely positive impact on both the club and the Premier League.

KellyClaret
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by KellyClaret » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Pearcey wrote:Nahki Wells, Keith Treacy.
Dyche didn't sign Treacy.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Darikwa, C Long, Juke, Sordell, Vossen, Hennings, Reid, Taylor

Wells & Walters when they leave plus I dont think Gray progressed. Gray was just a very good signing who we got the most out of but I was really disappointed he didnt progress and improve in his second year and we really pulled Watfords pants down with the deal to sell him

KellyClaret

Post by KellyClaret » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:What’s clear about Dyches input is that when players arrive, they leave as better players. Can anyone think of a player who Dyche has signed not really progressed?
Jutkiewicz
Sordell
Chalobah
Matty Taylor
Gilks
Steven Reid
Kightly
Chris Long
Hennings
Vossen
Bamford
Flanagan
Walters
Wells
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

woody
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by woody » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:09 pm

KellyClaret wrote:Jutkiewicz
Sordell
Chalobah
Matty Taylor
Gilks
Steven Reid
Kightly
Chris Long
Hennings
Vossen
Bamford
Flanagan
Walters
Wells
And the common denominator in all these is that they were brought in as experience or didn’t hang around for long. You can’t improve every player that you coach but Dyche’s record must stand up against the very best.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:31 pm

Vossen was only here for about 10 minutes! How's he supposed to improve him? Steven Reid and Matty Taylor, top professionals at the end of their careers. How's he supposed to improve them, they're already there.

There's some disingenuous people on here.
These 2 users liked this post: ten bellies ClaretTony

KellyClaret

Post by KellyClaret » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:34 pm

woody wrote:And the common denominator in all these is that they were brought in as experience or didn’t hang around for long. You can’t improve every player that you coach but Dyche’s record must stand up against the very best.
I think maybe 3/14 I suggested were. Not enough to suggest any sort of link.

8/14 were strikers though which is interesting.

KellyClaret

Post by KellyClaret » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:37 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Vossen was only here for about 10 minutes! How's he supposed to improve him? Steven Reid and Matty Taylor, top professionals at the end of their careers. How's he supposed to improve them, they're already there.

I'm not suggesting Dyche should've improved them. The question was "Can anyone think of a player who Dyche has signed not really progressed?" and i offered 14 suggestions. Not why they did or didn't progress, just that they didn't, which isn't disingenuous at all.

You can untwist your knickers now.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:42 pm

KellyClaret wrote:I'm not suggesting Dyche should've improved them. The question was "Can anyone think of a player who Dyche has signed not really progressed?" and i offered 14 suggestions. Not why they did or didn't progress, just that they didn't, which isn't disingenuous at all.

You can untwist your knickers now.
Would you not admit that those three were added simply to pad out your list? With your incredible knowledge I'm sure you'll admit those are pretty impossible cases.

There's a whole bunch of U-23s and U-18s you haven't mentioned yet. Get cracking!

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:45 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Vossen was only here for about 10 minutes! How's he supposed to improve him? Steven Reid and Matty Taylor, top professionals at the end of their careers. How's he supposed to improve them, they're already there.

Agree and my comment wasnt a criticism of Dyche in any way. It was the original comment that every player Dyche has brought has left a better player that was a bit silly and OTT

What Dyche has done is remarkable and so I dont see the need to overplay and exaggerate the positives in order to justify this view

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:02 am

I think disingenuous is being too kind. Knuckle dragging, negative, whining, dull, desperate, thoughtless, insecure, vacuous may be more appropriate.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Agree and my comment wasnt a criticism of Dyche in any way. It was the original comment that every player Dyche has brought has left a better player that was a bit silly and OTT

What Dyche has done is remarkable and so I dont see the need to overplay and exaggerate the positives in order to justify this view
I wasn’t being silly or OTT, I was just asking the question in the interest of discussion. I’m not suggesting that any player who walks through the door is miraculously a super star over night

Maybe I should’ve stated how long a player has to be at a club for, and what your idea for progression is.

But I will argue the list provided.

Jutkiewicz - out for almost a whole season at the beginning of his time here, but you have a can have that one
Sordell - you can have this one too
Chalobah - kid on loan, since played games in the Chelsea first team. But I didn’t mean loan players
Matty Taylor - experienced player, I expected Burnley to be his last club, went on to play at Northampton, not bad given a player his age
Gilks - Cover
Steven Reid - cover
Kightly - was losing his way before he left wolves, overweight. Left a fitter player
Chris Long - you can have this one
Hennings - hmmmm, you have this one too, disnt know much about him or where he is now
Vossen - can’t say
Bamford - possibly, suppose he’s not playing in the top flight, but he was on loan
Flanagan - I’d argue that his did progress under Dyche
Walters - unfair to judge
Wells - needs a full season or so to judge, but want in Huddersfield’s plans.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 am

Georges-Kevin Nkudu - you forgot him

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:17 am

claptrappers_union wrote:Georges-Kevin Nkudu - you forgot him
With us for 6 months. Got some playing time with us. Very decent at WBA. Never given a look in at Spurs.

= Progressed

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:20 am

claptrappers_union wrote:I wasn’t being silly or OTT, I was just asking the question in the interest of discussion. I’m not suggesting that any player who walks through the door is miraculously a super star over night

Maybe I should’ve stated how long a player has to be at a club for, and what your idea for progression is.

Jutkiewicz - out for almost a whole season at the beginning of his time here, but you have a can have that one
Chalobah - kid on loan, since played games in the Chelsea first team. But I didn’t mean loan players
Matty Taylor - experienced player, I expected Burnley to be his last club, went on to play at Northampton, not bad given a player his age
Gilks - Cover
Steven Reid - cover
Kightly - was losing his way before he left wolves, overweight. Left a fitter player
Hennings - hmmmm, you have this one too, disnt know much about him or where he is now
Vossen - can’t say
Bamford - possibly, suppose he’s not playing in the top flight, but he was on loan
I know they haven't exactly set the world on fire, but I feel Juke, Kightly and Sordell all left in a better career position than when they arrived.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 am

Excellent interview, SD does improve most defenders who have been at the club in his time, not doing to bad with goalies either Hart 3 clean sheets ;) who could have imagined that.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 am

When I saw the thread title I thought he might be in a spot if bother again. Nice interview anyway.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:53 am

claptrappers_union wrote:I wasn’t being silly or OTT, I was just asking the question in the interest of discussion. I’m not suggesting that any player who walks through the door is miraculously a super star over night

Gilks - Cover
Steven Reid - cover
Vossen - can’t say
I was more saying the premise of the post was a bit silly and OTT but fair enough I'll accept my wording wasnt great and I was not trying to have a go at you. A lot on that list above weren't mentioned in my post but there's no need to argue over the list of individual players anyway as that wasnt mine or the other posters point

The point is Dyche man management, coaching and tactical skills obviously has the effect that he take decent steady players and improve their game and make them better players. That said he obviously cant do this with every player for a whole host of reasons so to say every player that Dyche brought to the club has left a better player is just wrong

A better way of phrasing it would have been something like 'every player Dyche has brought to the club that have become better players due to Dyche have left the club a better player than when they arrived'

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:19 pm

But, the point stands that most players who sign a three year deal at Burnley FC under Sean Dyche will find it a positive career move.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6481 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:Under 23 manager for 3 years according to video description

Between 2014 and 2017, Michael Jolley spent three seasons working with the Under-23 team at Burnley. Now in charge of Grimsby Town, via a short spell at AFC Eskilstuna in Sweden, Jolley talked to us about what he learned from Sean Dyche in that time, and why he believes the Burnley manager has had such a hugely positive impact on both the club and the Premier League.
Thanks pal.