Mighty Clarets versus Wotfor?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
not waving
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Re: Mighty Clarets versus Wotfor?

Post by not waving » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Take a look at the league table. 14th. That's where we will finish.

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Just seen goals on NBC Sports. Should Hart have done better? Will we see Tom next time?

Not judging myself - not seen enough. But, 3 goals conceded, does this give Tom a chance at the shirt?

Don't think Hart can be blamed for any of the goals.
Agreed - sloppy play, but once again - No midfield. No 4 & no 10 are normally the players one associates with those positions.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Calm down it wasnt aimed at you but just used your quote (as you used the correct spelling) as the basis for my comment. Id never have you down as a happy anything you miserable sod
Love you guys, D_A and Wile C.

Reading sometimes, "moaners" just moan. Why don't you try some thoughtful, constructive comments? Yes, I know it won't make you a "happy clapper" but it might help raise the quality of the board.

UTC.
This user liked this post: chekhov

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:They worked harder, closed us down quicker and as we all know we have zero creativity to combat that. Play like we did today at Fulham and we'll lose by 5
True we were very lacklustre in the 2nd half and did have no creativity. But 1st half we were ok. I just think it's worth praising whatever change Watford made. I suppose we'll need to look at to figure out what went wrong and anyway no need to panic on the back of one result.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:50 pm

not waving wrote:Take a look at the league table. 14th. That's where we will finish.
The "old man" in me would take that - we almost always finished 14th in late 60s when I started going on.

The "dare to dream" fan in me, of course, wants top 10, every time.

UTC

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Does it actually work when you rest players midweek? Both Lowton and Mee had howlers today and Wood just looked as if he wasn’t sure which team he was playing for.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Love you guys, D_A and Wile C.

Reading sometimes, "moaners" just moan. Why don't you try some thoughtful, constructive comments? Yes, I know it won't make you a "happy clapper" but it might help raise the quality of the board.

UTC.
Thing is I dont moan and actually if I am critical of something I do give a thought out opinion of why that is my view. The quality of the board is deteriorated by a group of posters who instead of having their own opinion just jump on other peoples opinions and cause needless drawn out bickering because they cannot accept that people can love the club but still be critical about some things

Give your opinion and let others have theirs
These 2 users liked this post: summitclaret superdimitri

otto1959
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by otto1959 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:They worked harder, closed us down quicker and as we all know we have zero creativity to combat that. Play like we did today at Fulham and we'll lose by 5
Waford had a midfielder in Will Hughes that could create chances.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Just a bad day at the office.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 pm

dermotdermot wrote:Does it actually work when you rest players midweek? Both Lowton and Mee had howlers today and Wood just looked as if he wasn’t sure which team he was playing for.
That's how I see the challenge. Two games a week, including travel, requires rotation. But, rotation also disrupts preparation and team on the day.

We should think of what it takes for the " top 6" who aren't short of squad depth, to succeed in Europe.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:11 pm

A glorious exit from the EL in tge next round would probably not be a bad thing, given our threadbare squad in midfield/out wide. All the premature hapoy clapper boasting eh.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:16 pm

The simple fact is the rest of the league has moved on and we have stood still this summer.
This user liked this post: ebby

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:22 pm

summitclaret wrote:A glorious exit from the EL in tge next round would probably not be a bad thing, given our threadbare squad in midfield/out wide. All the premature hapoy clapper boasting eh.
We had a “ bwilliant” window, remember.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:24 pm

BigChaCha wrote:The simple fact is the rest of the league has moved on and we have stood still this summer.
How many "new" players did Watford have in their starting 11 ?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:We seem to be developing a bad habit of being good 1st half and missing numerous chances, only then to be really poor second half and creat virtually nothing

We have been out strengthed, out fought and out thought second half
It’s at times like that when you need to look to your bench for difference makers. We have two target men and a bunch of defenders on our bench.

Had all summer to solve certain problems, prepare for Europe and work on depth. We’ve signed 3 players, one of which was a goalkeeper signed because of multiple injuries.

That “what a bloody window” thread is looking remarkably naïve now.
These 2 users liked this post: superdimitri summitclaret

ebby

Post by ebby » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Just watching Brighton V Man U at the moment. Brighton in front and Stephens is having a great game.

ebby

Post by ebby » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:45 pm

3-1 to Brighton

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:57 pm

What disappointed me the most was how we are supposed to be getting better at scoring and taking the game to the opposition yet we could offer nothing apart from the usual kick the ball long to our strikers when we fell two behind. We simply let Watford control the game at the end.

We were very good after we scored but didn't take advantage of it.

We have a lack of attacking options coming off the bench.

But I think it was just a bad day in the office, it was capped for me when Vokes head the ball on target and it went wide after hitting Tarkowski on the chest.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:14 pm

There’s a lot of bs posted on here after a loss.

It’s true that we never looked like getting back into the game after the double whammy which were both arguably mistakes (certainly the 3rd goal but also the 2nd where Wardy was slow to react and close a gap he would normally close - he had 120 mins the other night and this was likely the effects of that).

The fact is we were clearly the better team in the first half and the European games are taking their toll in terms of fitness and team stability which has been our bedrock under Dyche. We are not used to rotating and we are doing this whilst our best 2 players are injured.

It needs a few calm heads in the stands whilst we get used to the squad rotation and recovery time which is much less than our opponents. Watford knew this and hit us hard at the start of each half.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 pm

An excellent recovery after going behind in the first half, where we controlled the game comfortably. Watford looked dangerous on the attack.

We were sloppy at the start of the 2nd half which cost us. We never looked like we were ever going to get back into it after going 3-1. Watford bossed the 2nd half, and looked the faster and fitter team, something we usually don't get beat at.

Perhaps our extra games combined with a shortage of numbers are having their toll. Also possible that the big changes to team personnel between European and league games are confusing the players.

It's worth remembering we lost our first home game to West Brom last year and the season didn't end to bad.
These 3 users liked this post: Tall Paul Wo Didi Hibsclaret

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 pm

:o that Watford's 3 goals today were their first away goals since January,and also their first away goals under Javi Garcia,our performance wasn't good 2nd half was shocking,but i'll write it off as an anomaly,the encouraging aspect of our 2 Premier League games is we are creating chances,admittedly mainly in the first half of matches,if we could have gone in at HT ahead today,we would probably have gone on to win,the disappointment is that Watford aren't any great shakes,and will be in the shake-up at the bottom come the business end of the season,and we gifted them 3 sloppy goals and basically gave them a goal start at the beginning of each half,tough to win games from there.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8738 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:01 am

One match at a time Europa winners and 3 points each week