Vydra - could he make a difference?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Vydra - could he make a difference?

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:01 pm

buzzclarets79 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:57 pm
Vydra & Jay are the two most natural finishers we have. Don’t like to think what’s going to happen when Wood & Barnes are fit, who will start out of the four.
To be fair, Wood & Barnes have done pretty well as a partnership this season.

And against some opposition it could still suit those 2 better.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:02 pm

Vydra and J’Rod. At the moment they are working well, and when they stop working well, put Wood and Barnes back on. What a non-problem to have.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Wood this season and Barnes in previous have been great. I just think VAR offer us so much opportunity to improve our style.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:04 pm

It does mean we have the luxury of not rushing Barnes or Wood back too soon and risk them breaking down as a result.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:33 pm

I've been wanting Vydra to play for us since before we even signed him. (Ask Bosscat and Houseboy about my posts in the Blackburn Telegraph.)

Yesterday I was being accused of 'Man Love' for him when I said he's score two today. (He damn near did.) I think after today there will be a lot more 'Man Love' for him. A brilliant performance and another stunning goal.

Will Wood get his place back at Newcastle? I somehow doubt it.

As if the wind wasn't enough to ruin the game today, we also had the farce of VAR. The decisions might have been technically correct (Or not) and suited Burnley but it's just ridiculous that a team can run the length of the field and score, have their fans celebrating, only for the goal to be ruled out for a very controversial decision. Scrap VAR before next season and bring sanity back to the game.
This user liked this post: bobinho

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:28 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:29 pm
It wasn't aimed at you, I've seen enough comments to see that he's getting 'better' the longer he doesn't play.

The same happened with Marney for us and Ings at Liverpool.
Anyone know what happened to Ings and Vydra?

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:39 pm

buzzclarets79 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:57 pm
Vydra & Jay are the two most natural finishers we have. Don’t like to think what’s going to happen when Wood & Barnes are fit, who will start out of the four.
I think Vydra and jay are the best with the ball on the ground, but jay is certainly not one of our most natural finishers. He’s great from distance as he strikes it cleanly, but he has missed a lot of close range chances recently. Luckily we have been playing well enough that it doesn’t matter. Wood and Vydra are our most natural goal scorers as shown over their career. It would be interesting to see if they could play together as they both score a lot of goals. However, I don’t know if they would be as good a pairing as either wood/Vydra with barnes/jay rod, as Barnesy and jay offer so much other than just the goals. Definitely a good problem to have and VAR have the shirt for now.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:04 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:07 pm
So we’re pinning our hopes on Vydra ? Think that may serve to illustrate the paucity of our transfer window, yet many on here we’re incredulously hailing it as a success.
Oldest squad in the league, zero apparent creativity, more goalkeepers than effective midfielders and strikers.
Not good enough, nowhere near good enough.

Amazing how some completely separate our transfer activity and our results/position.

4 seasons in the league, got into Europe and look set for a top half finish while beating teams while who spend significantly more. But our transfers have been utter dross... right, that doesn't add.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:24 pm

VAR have the shirts for now.

But I’m not SD, a manager who has been criticised in the past for showing far too much loyalty to his “favourites”, so who knows what happens when BAW are fit. I honestly wouldn’t like to second guess SD on this...