I hope olympiacos is our last euro tie this season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Re: I hope olympiacos is our last euro tie this season

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:04 pm

We really should try our best to get through, that seems obvious, tonight should be a stern test for sure.

Would be great to see burnley in the group stage.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 pm

dsr wrote:Is that from the full time whistle? So with our game being at 7 pm tonight, the players would all be fully fit at 9 pm on Sunday, but 4 pm will be five hours too soon?
yep. I actually got the info from the Man City physio (not personally but it was on that Amazon documentary they just did). He said it's 72 hours to do the ideal recovery - which is why Pep always complains about the Christmas fixtures where players often only get 48hrs which then causes injury. He has a point !

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:yep. I actually got the info from the Man City physio (not personally but it was on that Amazon documentary they just did). He said it's 72 hours to do the ideal recovery - which is why Pep always complains about the Christmas fixtures where players often only get 48hrs which then causes injury. He has a point !
Strange that Man City’s physio doesn’t know as much as houseboy.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:13 pm

If we go down it will most likely be because we have tried to play in the EL with a squad too small even if we weren't in it. Our winger options are ridiculous.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:20 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:I don't care one jot if we get relegated and it is actually proven that it was because we are in the Europa League which I think is actually impossible to prove. Play every game to win, minimum requirement is maximum effort, remember that ? We will either be good enough or we wont be between August and May no matter what competitions we are in.

I will support Burnley FC no matter what Division we are in or how much ******* money we have. In fact I have already bloody done it !!
big deal, so you are a supporter like the rest of us. wow. I stand behind everything I said about not getting dragged into the relegation battle this side of christmas. We dont have what we had last year and missing brady and defour massively. We seem incapable of finding any quality into the box and we just cannot afford to progress into those group stages. The penny will drop with all of you eventually I am sure. Lets hope that in a month you are all laughing at me and we are mid table. hope so but not on current form.

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:51 am

well I thought that was a good way to exit the competition we don't need. We need to concentrate on the bread and butter and really work on our defending, crossing and finishing instead of having a day or 2 away during the week getting injuries and sometimes jet lag. Excellent performance from mcneil and Vydra showed some promise. Onwards and upwards now. Stuff utd on Sunday and all is good.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 am

claretnproud wrote:many will have lived the dream and seen us play in europe. We simply cannot afford to have a load of euro games to cope with now we have let slip 5 points against teams we perhaps needed 3 or 4 points from. I believe this is a realistic assessment of our current situation. We are not the surprise package any more and teams will have worked us out. sad but true.
You've got your wish, but unfortunately it will be near impossible for us to return to European competition for a few decades at least, unless we get a billionaire owner.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:05 pm

Spijed wrote:You've got your wish, but unfortunately it will be near impossible for us to return to European competition for a few decades at least, unless we get a billionaire owner.
It was impossible this time last year, Mark.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:It was impossible this time last year, Mark.
I hear what you are saying, but I think it'll be a bit like Leicester's achievements in so much that it caught others off guard. Once that happens the door tends to get well and truly bolted thereafter so it doesn't happen again.

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:34 pm

My wish was to not complicate a season which was always going to be tough. The novelty of europe was nice whilst it lasted but would prefer re visiting once we are an established mid table team with a larger squad. Give me weekly premiership football and steady squad growth any day of the week. Europe came too early for us. Lets smash utd on Sunday. Hoping that last nights effort and excellent work rate doesnt catch up with the lads.

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Well I hate to say I told you so. Europe???? na, lets concentrate on premiership survival eh. We can do this but no distractions. All of our efforts need to be pinpointed to every single premier league game. Lads were beaten by a good team today and this was always going to be one of our toughest away games.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Getting to the group stage and having another 3 away games might have been the one bright spark of what could turn out to be a dismal season. Still, all you clowns who wanted us out know best eh? I take it you were all at Molineaux today, seeing as staying up is the be and end all in your eyes?

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:01 pm

You siad see where we are in a month. We are unlikely to be mid table by end Sept but i will take being out of the bottom 3.

Still think we shoild have been aining to hit tje group stage as that breeds some confidence. Slupping out of Europe with a bit of a frustration in terms of the performances i think is carrying over to League form.