Sad news - Jimmy McIlroy

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 537 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Re: Sad news - Jimmy McIlroy

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:14 pm

As a season ticket holder in 1962-63 I was fortunate enough to see the last home games of Jimmy Mac vs Sheffield Wednesday in the League and along with nearly 50000 others vs Liverpool in that tumultuous FA Cup Tie in the frozen depths of the winter of 1963.

However his dedication and commitment to Burnley gave many people great happiness. He was blessed and so were all who witnessed his great talent.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Such sad news. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Legend is a word that is thrown around far too lightly these days. If you want a real legend - look no further than Jimmy McIlroy.

R.I.P

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Such sad news.

I'm far too young to have seen anything of him other than snippets from Pathe news clips, but the closeness of his relationship with the club and town means that doesn't matter somehow - he was, is and always will be integral to the club and its story and in that sense a little bit of the club passes into history with this news.

We might be lucky enough to see another player of his calibre in his prime, but in the unlikely event that we do, its almost inconceivable that they'll become so indelibly connected to the club.

The timing can never be anything other than awful, but it is perhaps fitting that our next two home games are a European tie and Manchester United at home - Burnley in Europe, and competing as equals with the likes of United, are part of McIlroy's legend. No doubt the tributes will be prominent, and fitting, at both games.
These 5 users liked this post: Vintage Claret Royboyclaret randomclaret2 JohnDearyMe Buxtonclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6886 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:30 pm

RIP never saw him play but film clips show what a star he was who would grace todays football quite effortlessly. A true gent and nice person. RIP Burnley's adopted son.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Such sad news ,we have lost one of the nicest men you could ever wish to meet..Jimmy was the perfect gentle man.always had time for a chat..loved Burnley and was a fan to the end as well as being the finest footballer I have ever had the privilege to watch in almost 60 years supporting the Clarets.
Jimmy used to have such poise and balance as he dribbled past defenders to get to the touch line then put across inch perfect passes onto the centre forwards head.....if we ever had to have one Claret legend then it has to be Jimmy Mac.
I dont mind admitting I shed a tear this morning as i heard the news on my car radio.
For those of you not old enough to have seen Jimmy play I can promise you that Burnley have never had a better player and Jimmy should have had a knighthood.If anyone deserves a statue outside the turf it is Mac.
Rest in Peace Jimmy.I will miss seeing you around .
These 2 users liked this post: Terrier Buxtonclaret

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1298 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Wow really sad news. Saw him play when I was a nipper but just remember the crowd getting excited when he got the ball. My dads hero, always waxed lyrical about ‘Jimmy Mac’ when he had sunk a few.

RIP true legend.

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Greatest player for the Clarets, loved watching him play. So many games I can remember where I came away feeling so proud we had a player like Jimmy. A true gentleman. A true Claret.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 771 times
Has Liked: 10073 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:39 pm

RIP Sir James

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:43 pm

You always know this day would come still it's a shock when you read it .

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:43 pm

What terribly sad news , condolences to all his family close friends and the entire Burnley family.

Never saw him play myself but heard all about him from my brothers and Mum and Dad .
RIP Jimmy Mac

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 pm

claretspice wrote:Such sad news.

I'm far too young to have seen anything of him other than snippets from Pathe news clips, but the closeness of his relationship with the club and town means that doesn't matter somehow - he was, is and always will be integral to the club and its story and in that sense a little bit of the club passes into history with this news.

We might be lucky enough to see another player of his calibre in his prime, but in the unlikely event that we do, its almost inconceivable that they'll become so indelibly connected to the club.

The timing can never be anything other than awful, but it is perhaps fitting that our next two home games are a European tie and Manchester United at home - Burnley in Europe, and competing as equals with the likes of United, are part of McIlroy's legend. No doubt the tributes will be prominent, and fitting, at both games.
You're so right claretspice, it would be entirely fitting if the Club organised an appropriate tribute on the day of the Manchester United match. Mac loved nothing more than to torment United, never more so than the FA Cup tie on the Turf in 1954 when he ripped them to shreds in one of the most memorable games ever seen at Burnley. United were the team to beat then and we won 5-3 with a crowd of almost 53,000 attending.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:44 pm

I can only echo the thoughts and sentiments of all the previous posters on this thread.

I too am too young to have seen Jimmy play in the flesh but from everything I've seen and read of him he truly was one of the greats.

Condolences to all his family, friends and colleagues and hopefully it is of some comfort that Jimmy was much loved and respected by so many and will be sadly missed.

RIP Sir, "You'll always be a Claret"

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Very sad news. I will re-read his book, Right Inside Soccer. As a number of posters know it was published in 1961 and is an excellent read and has some lovely photos of the great man.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8730 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Many refer to him as a legend, rightly.

Perhaps the greater title, for this man, is 'The Legend'.

Permeates Burnley in everything. The essence of a hero.

Cog lane Claret
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: Sad news

Post by Cog lane Claret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Chuckypad wrote:Truly gutted to hear this

RIP Mac

The most iconic Claret of them all
So sad and gutted to hear the news lets send him off with a win on Thursday

cold claret
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by cold claret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:04 pm

To young to see him play.Everyone says he was our best ever player and a true gentleman

.RIP Jimmy Mcllroy may God Bless You.

Burnleys Best

NCClaret
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by NCClaret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:15 pm

What very sad news. RIP Mr. McIlroy. You epitomised everything that is good about Burnley FC

Wexford_Claret
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 384 times

Post by Wexford_Claret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:17 pm

A man who loved Burnley; the club, the town and the people. And Burnley loved him. He will be so missed.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure Buxtonclaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5050 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:54 pm

Bugger

Gutted

Maple Leafs
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Maple Leafs » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Farewell jimmy,
Thanks for the memories, brought tears to the eyes of a 71 year old this morning.

Rest in peace, Jimmy Mc. A true legend.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

Noblelight
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by Noblelight » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:14 pm

RIP Jimmy Mc

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Always sad when a true legend passes away and Jimmy Mac was just that. RIP Jimmy and thank you.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Thank you and God Bless the Gent', Jimmy Mac.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45246559

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Saddened to hear the news about Jimmy Mac.
He was one of my favourite Burnley players from early days (late 50/early 60's).

A true gentleman and great player.
Never forget the picture of the Beehole end the Saturday after we sold him to Stoke.
I think we lost close on ten thousand fans as a result.

May he rest in peace.
He will live on as a true Burnley legend.

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Very sad.. rest in peace Jimmy. I'll leave it to others who new him better than I. To sum the man up

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:23 pm

So glad there is a stand named after him and again if it is ever redeveloped

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks for all the memories, RIP Jimmy, condolences to his family
This user liked this post: Pad1951

Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Reb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 pm

My Dad knew Jimmy Mac and whenever we saw him at the Turf, we would go over to say hello and every single time, without fail, my dad would turn to me and say "you do know this man was Burnley's greatest ever player" and Jimmy would always laugh and dismiss the compliment in the most genuinely self effacing way.
This news has made me feel very sad.
These 2 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die Claret Till I Die

ecc
Been Liked: 1437 times
Has Liked: 1284 times

Post by ecc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I've just heard about this. The Great Man's time has come.

Our greatest ever player and, by all accounts, the epitome of modesty.

My late father never tired of telling me how good he was.

My condolences go to his family and close friends.

Thank you, Mr McIlroy.

Jimmy McIlroy is dead.

Long live Jimmy McIlroy!

ClaretWot4
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by ClaretWot4 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 pm

A very sad day.

Burnley has lost a great ambassador and a true gentleman.

Pad1951
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Pad1951 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Privileged to have seen him play for the Clarets, I remember making a placard saying
( Bob Lord out ) for a protest march when he was put on the transfer list.
True legend, RIP Jimmy.

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Hroogar wrote:Greatest player for the Clarets, loved watching him play. So many games I can remember where I came away feeling so proud we had a player like Jimmy. A true gentleman. A true Claret.
My brother, a lifelong Clarets fan, who cannot get on this site, wishes me to post this for him

"Goodbye to an Irishman who loved Burnley, who was loved by all who loved football. Thanks Jimmy Mac. Alan"
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

whitnash claret
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by whitnash claret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 pm

A very sad day indeed for all Burnley FC supporters with the death of the great "Jimmy Mac"- the finest player to ever wear the famous claret and blue. Not only a superb player in every respect but a true sportsman and gentleman who always had time for people. They say never meet your idol - as they rarely live up to your expectations. But I was fortunate enough to meet Jimmy (my all time footballing hero) a few years back in the car park outside Turf Moor. I had seen him there a couple of years before but I didn't want to bother him and I always regretted that decision. So I swore that if I ever saw him again I would speak. Anyway the chance did arise again and I just went up to him and said something like - "I'm sorry to trouble you Mr McIlroy but would you allow me the privilege of shaking the hand of the finest player ever to turn out for my beloved Burnley and thank you for all of the entertainment you gave so many people while you played here". He smiled warmly and firmly shook my hand, not letting go for a good while. He then gently said to the lady who was with him - "Did you hear that what he just said - and he's stone cold sober too" ! He laughed and went on chatting to me for at least five minutes - asking where I had come from, and whether I used to play, who my favourite players had been, etc. I must admit I was somewhat in awe at the great man but in that short time he showed just how much professional footballers have changed over the years. Everything I had read and heard about Jimmy was that he always had time for people - and he certainly did for me on that Saturday afternoon a few years back. RIP to a top class footballer and a true gent who will be sadly missed.
These 7 users liked this post: CleggHall The Enclosure Buxtonclaret spadesclaret tybfc ontario claret cricketfieldclarets

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:29 pm

I'm a few years too young to have had the pleasure of watching Jimmy Mac in person, but I he was always my mum and late fathers favourite all time player.

My mum has no interest in football today and all she ever has to say about the subject is how overpaid players are.

I visited my mum today to help fit an alarm for her to find her sat in tears at the news of his passing. That tells me more about the character and influence of Jimmy than any news story ever could.

Cornwallclaret
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Cornwallclaret » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Sad news day...Like most of us on here I wasn't privileged to see Jimmy play for Burnley but also like a lot of us on here he was our Dads favourite player so I've many a tale of games gone by and how he used to play( some many times over..lol) but I always listened to him.
My personal hero was Martin Dobson as a kid,others will have different ones depending on which era you grew up in but I think we can all agree that Jimmy Mac was the original Burnley legend
RIP JIMMY and thank you

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:08 pm

I never had the chance to see him play but one memory I have is a home game a few years ago when he came out of the corporate box at half time into the car park. There were 2 smoking areas there and a chant of “oh Jimmy Mac, when are you coming back” went up.

I think every person who was outside queued up to shake his hand and he obliged with a smile for each person which said a lot about his character. I have never heard a bad word said about him from fans and too many have said he was the greatest they have ever seen play for Burnley for it not to be true. Burnley truly has lost it’s adopted son and would take someone very special to come close to filling the boots on and off the pitch that this man did.

I remembered an old Burnley Express interview that was done with Jimmy and had to dig this part out which shows a man who has such respect of everybody around him yet still has the humility and humbleness of the common man which is what endeared him to us.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZpSUbHWn4w

Rest in peace Sir Jimmy

Or as Bobby Charlton called him “the little nuisance”.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:09 pm

R.I.P. Jimmy Mac ..you are the best player I've ever seen to play in Claret and Blue for Burnley..Thanks for the wonderful memories of my boyhood trips down the Turf in the late fifties/ early sixties..

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:44 pm

One thing I was struck by with Jimmy McIlroy was his humility. It seemed he was almost embarrassed to have the status and talent he had. A very sad day.

Andingle
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 353 times

Post by Andingle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:08 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q6N1BhkaOQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMS-0sWh37M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9txChL6szjo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqK1gQhl2nU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giL0eTJ7qtg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZpSUbHWn4w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChristheViking
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by ChristheViking » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:02 am

It’s sometimes annoying when you see fans using the term “legend” to describe players when that term should be used very rarely and very selectively.

Today is one day when using the term legend is appropriate but possibly still insufficient to describe Jimmy McIlroy.

I’m too young to have seen him play but there are simply too many older fans I have listened to who gave only the highest praise.

I hope the Club have something special something significant lined up to commemorate him. I’m sure they will understand the magnitude of this.

Preston had Tom Finney. Blackburn had Ronnie Clayton. Blackpool Jimmy Arfield. Unfortunately it’s now our turn to say goodbye to our club legend.

RIP Jimmy Mc.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:43 am

The Turf Moor that you see today is the direct result of Jimmy McIlroy. His ilk popularized the game and made the big dollars that players make today possible. Came from totally humble beginnings, and that never left him. In his old photos he always, ALWAYS, had a smile on his face. He was living a dream. Always remember that, and just be thankful that he came our way and graced us with his presence. RIP Jimmy Mac, from a guy who never saw you play but appreciates what you did totally.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:10 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ed-86.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;