Burnley fan stabbed before the game.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Re: Burnley fan stabbed before the game.

Post by Rumbletonk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:22 pm

[quote="cricketfieldclarets"]Well on at least two videos (including one on the daily mirror) it shows Burnley fans waving Panathanaikos flags.

They' look like Greeks. Just Panathanaikos fans getting in the mix

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 426 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Absolutely not. And nobody has condoned whats happened.
Not even tried to excuse it ?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 pm

Rumbletonk wrote:
I think it was Dimi Papadopoulos.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:28 pm

Hapag Lloyd wrote:Not even tried to excuse it ?
Not that ive seen!

Hapag Lloyd

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Not that ive seen!
Why post about the Panathinaikos flags then ?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 pm

Hapag Lloyd wrote:Why post about the Panathinaikos flags then ?
Why not?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 pm

Hapag Lloyd wrote:Why post about the Panathinaikos flags then ?
As above. Its drawing the wrong sort of attention!

Is it warranted? No. But use your brain ffs! A panthanaikos fan was killed when they played Olympiakos. Thats how much they hate each other and how mindless they are!

Hapag Lloyd

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:40 pm

tim_noone wrote:Why not?
Have you not got more important things to worry about?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:43 pm

Sad to see or should I say hear about a fellow fan coming up against a blade or any tool to be fair, concur with CC advice about being streetwise & vigilant in these situations, they don't mess about over there, it's open season & the slightest excuse for aggro is fair game.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:43 pm

The Fanzone seemed OK but a bit “English”, warm beer, average food and no locals. I ignored the advice and two of us went down on the Metro, both in Burnley shirts, went to the marina, had a few beers and a seafood meal. Not a Claret to be seen. A few Olympiacos fans about, all diamonds. One tough young tattooed guy stopped us for a selfie and then warned us that if we weren’t careful we could get beaten up. We laughed it off.

Walked to the ground alongside Olympiacos fans who sometimes looked astonished there were away fans walking in. All friendly though. Headed to the away end, stewards and riot police had a collective nervous breakdown that there were Clarets not in the ground yet. Friendly but looked at us like we had flown out of the cuckoo’s nest.

It’s a weird one, Athens in August, partly a holiday in one of the best cities in the world, partly an away match surrounded by ultras. I think we made the right decision. There was some risk involved, that’s life. Weird football culture though.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone Quicknick mickleoverclaret

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Hapag Lloyd wrote:Have you not got more important things to worry about?
Hopefully not ....unless you know something I don't :shock:

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:50 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:The Fanzone seemed OK but a bit “English”, warm beer, average food and no locals. I ignored the advice and two of us went down on the Metro, both in Burnley shirts, went to the marina, had a few beers and a seafood meal. Not a Claret to be seen. A few Olympiacos fans about, all diamonds. One tough young tattooed guy stopped us for a selfie and then warned us that if we weren’t careful we could get beaten up. We laughed it off.

Walked to the ground alongside Olympiacos fans who sometimes looked astonished there were away fans walking in. All friendly though. Headed to the away end, stewards and riot police had a collective nervous breakdown that there were Clarets not in the ground yet. Friendly but looked at us like we had flown out of the cuckoo’s nest.

It’s a weird one, Athens in August, partly a holiday in one of the best cities in the world, partly an away match surrounded by ultras. I think we made the right decision. There was some risk involved, that’s life. Weird football culture though.
Exactly how it should be.

Would I have made my own way to the game? Probably. But not with a panathanaikos flag! :geek: :geek:
This user liked this post: CrosspoolClarets

Rumbletonk

Post by Rumbletonk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:The Fanzone seemed OK but a bit “English”, warm beer, average food and no locals. I ignored the advice and two of us went down on the Metro, both in Burnley shirts, went to the marina, had a few beers and a seafood meal. Not a Claret to be seen. A few Olympiacos fans about, all diamonds. One tough young tattooed guy stopped us for a selfie and then warned us that if we weren’t careful we could get beaten up. We laughed it off.

There should be a please don't do this at home warning after that. Sounds like a good day though, enjoy

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 pm

One of the lads stabbed in the leg got a raxi to the ground with his mate and after they had the fare the taxi driver shouted to the locals that his passengers were English and the 2 guys got attacked,one stabbed in the leg and the ither a broken jaw.
Also about 20 of our fans walking to the ground together git kettled by the Greek police and missed the entire game.
Also been muggings

Gnulty
Been Liked: 179 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by Gnulty » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:58 pm

Once a geek, always a geek I say...Kalinychta fellow Clarets.

Rumbletonk

Post by Rumbletonk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:06 am

paulatky wrote:One of the lads stabbed in the leg got a raxi to the ground with his mate and after they had the fare the taxi driver shouted to the locals that his passengers were English and the 2 guys got attacked,one stabbed in the leg and the ither a broken jaw.
Also about 20 of our fans walking to the ground together git kettled by the Greek police and missed the entire game.
Also been muggings
That's sickening. Big bucks on what should have been one of the best experiences of their lives. Gutted for the 2 lads

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 831 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:00 am

Just heard on news 23 Burnley supporters arrested and 5 in hospital. Hope everyone is safe.

Never mentioned if any Olympiacos fans had been locked up or injured

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:16 am

By the sounds of it they won't have been as its normal to beat people up and stab them in Athens when there is a football match on. Obviously

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:18 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Not going to ban away fans when they’ve already sold tickets. Imagine could be pretty fiery next week.
Next week is goin to be potentially carnage

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:23 am

theroyaldyche wrote:Next week is goin to be potentially carnage
I hope not, and I doubt it.
Why would Burnley fans who are aggrieved about innocent fans getting hurt, go out to hurt innocent fans.

This is exactly how these reputations and injuries escalate. You cannot tar everyone with the same brush.

What a terrible thing to happen on what should have been the highlight of following your football team.

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 am

theroyaldyche wrote:Next week is goin to be potentially carnage
Yep not beyond the realms, The overtime sheet will be pinned up on the canteen noticeboard at Lancs Constanulary HQ this morning. And that lot really know how to escalate trouble !!
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:26 am

Heard the news of the stabbing while inside the ground. To be honest I saw no problems at all. Had a fantastic afternoon in Athens and then went on the free coach to the ground.

One bloke on our coach was so drink he threw up. Amazed he got into the ground to be honest.

Atmosphere in there was incredible and hostile but no problem with that. Amazing experience.

Hope those who have suffered are ok. You shouldn’t be going to a football match getting stabbed or beaten up.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets BOYSIE31 longsidepies

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:32 am

MACCA wrote:I hope not, and I doubt it.
Why would Burnley fans who are aggrieved about innocent fans getting hurt, go out to hurt innocent fans.

This is exactly how these reputations and injuries escalate. You cannot tar everyone with the same brush.

What a terrible thing to happen on what should have been the highlight of following your football team.
Didnt say anything about burnley fans. 2000 greeks including ultras = carnage

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2166 times
Has Liked: 3097 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:36 am

The club need to put a better fence up in the CFS. Not doing so would be negligent frankly

RocketLawnChair

Post by RocketLawnChair » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:37 am

It could be a big test for plod this next week. Who do I nick? the lad with the MMA gloves on the gum shield in and face half covered by a scarf or the loonball V signing at coaches?
This user liked this post: Bones

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:37 am

I see the national papers are running with headlines of

"Trouble overshadows Burnley's Europa league tie"
And
"Violence errupts as Burnley Europa league game ends in defeat"
And several others trying to paint a bad picture and blowing things way out of proportion

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:37 am

theroyaldyche wrote:Didnt say anything about burnley fans. 2000 greeks including ultras = carnage
Hopefully they won’t get away with anything they want without punishment like the Hannover fans did.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:34 am

Some more confirmation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45292388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:36 am

dpinsussex wrote:I heard a story in Turkey that one of our bell ends was abusing the coach driver for playing Turkish music on the coach screaming"we are from Burnley not f***ing turkey" "turn this s**t off"
We also need to behave whilst in these other countries.
The.above.is seriously.embarassing for this great.club of.ours. Can only.assume a season ticket holder given the allocations.
That is embarrassing and judging by some of the Neanderthals I have seen at away games doesnt surprise me. It makes you wonder how they afford to travel but unfortunately money doesn't buy manners or class. The game against Aberdeen was a model how it should be.
This user liked this post: dpinsussex

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 am

The notion that 20+ people who were arrest were involved in trouble, is about as far removed from the truth as possible.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:54 am

Loyalclaret wrote:The notion that 20+ people who were arrest were involved in trouble, is about as far removed from the truth as possible.
Were you on the coaches or metro?

italianclaret88
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by italianclaret88 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:55 am

If you put a pana flag in Athens when u play against olympiakos you are a prick....all the rest are ********...was the same for ac ultras against aek...ambushed them in metro instead to take bus but they were prepared to have a fight...i completely agree with cfs, i’m The first to get drunk to an away match but always trying to not make troubles with locals...it’s different if they attack first...
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Quicknick

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am

I have been told the 23 people arrested for being drunken and disorderly turned up for the coaches but they were full and setting off. The Police then said they would take them to the Stadium in their vehicles only for them to end up at the Police station in Athens. There were people of 70/75 in this group of fans so I very much doubt they were drunk and disorderly. Paid a fortune to watch their team and end up getting nicked for doing what you are told.
This user liked this post: IAmAClaret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:37 am

You don't get stabbed because you are drunk, you get stabbed because some knife-bearing psycho chooses to stab you.
These 7 users liked this post: Rammy1968 Steve-Harpers-perm Lord Beamish Quicknick I_hate_pne longsidepies Chuckypad

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1879 times
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 am

Love to know the conviction rates of the perpetrators who have stabbed English fans abroad over the past few years.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:52 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Love to know the conviction rates of the perpetrators who have stabbed English fans abroad over the past few years.
Very low at a guess.. Fans from England have been fair game for years.going back as far as italia 82 ...man utd..at Roma..etc.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3786 times
Has Liked: 12469 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 pm

Rammy1968 wrote:I have been told the 23 people arrested for being drunken and disorderly turned up for the coaches but they were full and setting off..
There were no coaches there when they arrived, they'd already left. The police had a coach there and said that they would take them to the ground but they just took them to the police station. The police were then goading them trying to get them to kick off, probably so that they would then have a reason to charge them. They weren't charged and were let out after midnight.

PS - And they weren't drunk or disorderly!
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Loyalclaret

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Sounds like a likely story :|

What were the club officials doing when this was going on?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:32 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:Sounds like a likely story :|

What were the club officials doing when this was going on?
There were no club officials there. They'd gone with the coaches.
Anyway thanks for your contribution!

Loyalclaret

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Sorry Leisure I stated what you wrote last night but people doubted it on here. Had a friend on said coach who would never be involved in trouble text me whilst they were at the police station.

The club official told them to get on the coach.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:Sorry Leisure I stated what you wrote last night but people doubted it on here. Had a friend on said coach who would never be involved in trouble text me whilst they were at the police station.

The club official told them to get on the coach.
The police told them to get on the coach, there were no club officials there.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Rammy1968 wrote:I have been told the 23 people arrested for being drunken and disorderly turned up for the coaches but they were full and setting off. The Police then said they would take them to the Stadium in their vehicles only for them to end up at the Police station in Athens. There were people of 70/75 in this group of fans so I very much doubt they were drunk and disorderly. Paid a fortune to watch their team and end up getting nicked for doing what you are told.
This is spot on when we got back to Piraeus last night we bump into 4 of the lads that was took to Athens police station they had done nothing wrong in fact they was getting into a taxi they told us when the old bill said get in here we will take to the ground the only place they had in mind was to the cells
They were descent lads

happyclaret17
Been Liked: 446 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by happyclaret17 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Nasty beggars those greeks. I was once having a meal in a restaurant and there was a big greek family on next table. They started smashing plates and everything. It was bedlam so I got my coat and got out of there.
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie lesxdp Chuckypad fidelcastro

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2230 times
Has Liked: 2130 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:20 pm

boatshed bill wrote:You don't get stabbed because you are drunk, you get stabbed because some knife-bearing psycho chooses to stab you.
Obviously.

However, if it's pretty common knowledge that the opposing club have a large number of 'knife bearing psychos' as 'fans', such as Olympiacos does (infact are notorious for it)...

... Then surely you'd do your upmost to not encounter one (getting a taxi/met when not advised) or wearing club colours if you chose to travel that way..

At the very least don't be arseholed so you could have your wits about you.

As for the coach getting taken to the police station, well that is absolutely disgraceful.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:46 pm

CoolClaret wrote:Obviously.

However, if it's pretty common knowledge that the opposing club have a large number of 'knife bearing psychos' as 'fans', such as Olympiacos does (infact are notorious for it)...

... Then surely you'd do your upmost to not encounter one (getting a taxi/met when not advised) or wearing club colours if you chose to travel that way..

At the very least don't be arseholed so you could have your wits about you.

As for the coach getting taken to the police station, well that is absolutely disgraceful.
Spot on, not saying or implying it was the lads fault for getting stabbed as I wasn't there to witness the assault, but 99 times of 100 the preventative measures mentioned above will almost minimise any unsavoury likelihood.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Honestly. We were just sampling the local culture.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:The notion that 20+ people who were arrest were involved in trouble, is about as far removed from the truth as possible.
Sometimes youve just got to take responsibility or at least take it on the chin...

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4318 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Even if you're not responsible ?
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:31 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Even if you're not responsible ?
No in that case blame someone else

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:33 pm

That lad with the flag the one who got stabbed?