How do you defend that?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Re: How do you defend that?

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:11 pm

No I am not fickle I promise. But we have not tried to progress over the summer. It has been a weird window with the clubs coming up Fulham and Wolves having so much to spend. Also that clubs who came up the year before have spent a lot. There is probably only Cardiff that you could say are bankers to go down. Other clubs that were there or thereabouts last season Everton, Watford, Palace, Brighton Huddersfield, Newcastle have all strengthened their first elevens. We are the only club bar Spurs to have not improved our first 11. Then of our first 11 several are injured.....Pope, Brady, Defour, JBG (not bee fir this season) and not been improved upon. We are standing still whilst others are trying to progress
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Its pretty muxh impossible to defend that. Although Spice is right about margins and until the 4yh went in we may still have nickedd a point.

Their first is a worldy. The second and third though are poor defending (and the third comes from a poor decision from Cork to shoot into a crowdes area when both our full backs were high up the pitch. Poor defending again thpugh to allow Mitrovitch to stay onside.

The bottom line though is that we are missing real options in midfield and that is down to our transfer window.

How do we tackle this? Not sure really. Dig in and hope we can turn this round. As Spice says Bournemouth looked fodder until they got going- as did Palace and Soton but both got back enough. We agould have enough to stay up.

For starters i would look to try Taylor at LB because Ward is struggling right now. Maybe try Ash out wide too (or even drop to a 442 using Jeff instead of Westwood (or Cork). And have Walters and Vydra on the bench - surely they can manage 10-30 minutes?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Top post Erasmus.

An oasis of common sense and realism in a desert full of garbage.
This user liked this post: Siddo

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Top post Erasmus.

An oasis of common sense and realism in a desert full of garbage.

Mr uber fan alert. People are ****** off and quite rightly so. Wake up man ffs.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:40 pm

When we lose, there are two ways of dealing with it.

Post a good post, highlighting our failures and why they might have happened, while pointing out reality

or completely lose your **** and look absolutely mental

To be fair, only a few are doing that, but they are spamming the board as fast as they can type.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:42 pm

There's a lot of over reaction on here which is understandable. I find it hard to be critical of the club on the whole but there are some decisions that need to be questioned.

Where's Vydra?
Why didn't we sign another centre mid option to replace Marney?
Why didn't we sign a winger to replace Arfield?

Let's not beat around the bush here, if Arfield was still at the club he would have likely featured in every game so far.

Someone made some bad decisions this summer.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:45 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Mr uber fan alert. People are ****** off and quite rightly so. Wake up man ffs.
People have every right to be pi££ed off, we have been in poor form for months and we look a disaster both offensively and defensively plus we had a shocker of a transfer window.

However we had an unbelievably good season last season. It’s still massively early days tho, and we’ve key players missing. We’ve just got to hope we can sort it out over the next few months.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:47 pm

To be fair its a decent post from Erasmus and there is a lot of sense in it. So its not so much an uber fan post as a really cold view standing far back. There is a lot of sense there - but i wonder if the switxhing of the back 5 has meant that actually we have prepared longer than 2 days for games (effectively coaching 2 sides at once).

I tbink the biggest problems at the moment are our laxk of options higher up the pitch. Not replacing Arfield was a big mistake. And whilst our strategy means we ha e less options in the market we need to accept that means we as a club have to pay more. If we k ow our options are limited so do others and it gives them a bigger edge in negotiations. Its how it is unfortunately but if we choose that path we need to accept it not refuse to engage.

We threw all our eggs in one basket and thrn balked at the till when we saw the price and after haggling for a long time managed to chuck a couple of eggs into a couple of other passing baskets but some of them landed on rhe floor.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Lennon is our only fit winger. Imagine that? Imagine a top tiered Premier League team doing that. It's unforgivable.
These 3 users liked this post: TsarBomba Vegas Claret RoystonVasey

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:50 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Lennon is our only fit winger. Imagine that? Imagine a top tiered Premier League team doing that. It's unforgivable.
Agreed. Our transfer window was diabolical

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:57 pm

Maybe, but we have to live with it so no ppint moaning now. Sean has to start thinking about how he gets Vydra and others (not defenders) onto the bench.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:04 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Lennon is our only fit winger. Imagine that? Imagine a top tiered Premier League team doing that. It's unforgivable.
And this pretty much sums up our current predicament in a nutshell.

It’s pathetic. Embarrassing.

I agree the football isn’t pretty at times, but seriously, what the **** is Dyche meant to do with one fit winger.

In any other line of work, these sort of managerial decisions would get you the sack, but at BFC, they are defended to the hilt by people constantly referring to 1987 as some sort of get out of jail free card.

Last season was great. Wonderful. But it’s gone. I’m bothered about the here and now, and tbh it doesn’t look great from where I’m sitting.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Granny WeatherWax wrote:People have every right to be pi££ed off, we have been in poor form for months and we look a disaster both offensively and defensively plus we had a shocker of a transfer window.

However we had an unbelievably good season last season. It’s still massively early days tho, and we’ve key players missing. We’ve just got to hope we can sort it out over the next few months.

Thats fair enough. I'm just massively frustrated tonight which will obviously amplify after alcohol.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:SICK OF WATCHING **** FOOTBALL WEEK IN WEEK OUT
Move on to Elland Road, or Deadwood. With my blessing.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 pm

I will carry on supporting Burnley when the players are on the pitch but it wont stop me questioning the manger and board when I feel they have made questionable decisions. Is no one accountable for our poor transfer window? If not we have no chance of ever moving forward

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 pm

KRBFC wrote:Tell me about all these injuries we have, we've had 2 windows since Brady got injured and we've been without Defour for how long? 6 months, if we're so short why didn't we replace those injured players? Lets be honest here, you're making excuses for this shambles.
I’m not making excuses, I’m stating facts. The fact you are so p!ssed off is a problem for you, not me so I don’t have to justify myself to you. Even if we get knocked out of Europe on Thursday, which we will, and we finish 17th, IMO, it’s been a successful season. Last season was a freak so don’t go kidding yourself we can do that, or better, every season, because we can’t. Getting so irate wont change anything so relax and enjoy the ride, whatever happens. It’s all part of following Burnley FC and you can be sure the players, manager and board aren’t laughing this evening thinking they are doing a good job annoying the fans, they will be working hard within the resources and business model we have in order to improve. Don’t be such a drama queen and grow a pair, worse things happen at sea.
These 2 users liked this post: Siddo longsidepies

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:48 pm

A lot of people are rightly worried - this season the "weaker teams" appear to have pretty decent managers.... Cardiff I personally think are the exception (at this level), and it looks like WHU and Pellegrini might not be a happy or long marriage (though I like him as a manager).... I think our targets with dodgy managers is way down on last years count. I don't buy into Wolves and Fulham "buying their Premier place" too many have tried that and failed. It is a good league this year.... and we have to get a move on putting some points up.

I think we could and should have done better in the transfer window.... quite frankly its up to those who are there and can see clearly to start pointing fingers and letting them know its not acceptable when we already face the overwhelming odds we have against us to let our own side down.... whoever it is.

However for me its no good talking of what we didn't do in the window gone.... it's how we get points on the board quickly with what we have and hoping we give ourselves a fighting chance of building further on last seasons success. It would be so easy and so sad to just skulk away after the last couple of seasons.... I hope my faith is correct that we're better than that.
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Our defence is under more pressure now than previously, because when we had Boyd, Barton, Jones/Marney, Arfield in midfield their first job was to protect the defence and when they got the ball get it quickly to our forward TWO (Ings, Vokes, Barnes and latterly Wood plus another). Our current midfield, though better footballers, are not protecting the defence: Westwood and Lennon contribute nothing in defence/attack. When we get the ball we try and get it to Wood upfront, who is normally isolated by about 20 yards from our midfield. Also, we looked very leggy already because of Europe. My hope is we come out of Europe on Thursday so we can prepare each full week for a PL game on Saturday, hopefully get Brady and Defour fit quickly because without them our creative football is woeful, and please Sean get back to a back four protected by a midfield of players, who close down the opposition and protect the defence, then more than anything get Hendrick out of this stupid role and play with a flexible two up front. I hate to say this but as it stands, we could get relegated..
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:56 pm

Our defence doesn't turn to dust overnight and I am sure Dyche will be working with the lads to cut the basic mistakes out. The midfield is really poor and I honestly can't see much, or any future improvement in this area. We rely on Cork, he is about the only player in this department who would get anywhere near another Premier league squad.
We should have pushed the boat out in the summer transfer window and strengthend in Midfield but we have bought no one, which was very disappointing.
We haven't played a top side yet and apart from the 1st half at Southampton we have looked poor. United next Sunday and I fear it could be embarrassing
This user liked this post: slw

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 pm

It obviously wasn't great today, similar to the Watford game.
But the question to ask is not the one the OP has posted.

We have what we have, we can't change much at this stage of the season, so we have to ask what can we do in order to get back to earning points.

Winning points starts at the back. Get clean sheets. Nick a goal, take the few chances we get, hang on

It's not pretty but it creates confidence, moves the team forward. When points are on the board then progress.

Pointing the blame finger from the fans or manager does nothing constructive.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 pm

I don't think it will be embarrassing v United as they have lots and lots of their own problems.

Our issue is that last season we started amazingly well, with cracking performances from every player. Once injuries and loss of form kicked in, we struggled a bit.

This season we have players out of form and a couple of crucial injuries.

Absolutely no doubt we should have strengthened over the summer in midfield, but the core of the squad that finished 7th is still there.

Course we could get absolutely shafted on injuries before Xmas, but there really is no need to panic to the extent that people have on here tonight.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Erasmus wrote:The first thing to say is that every season in the Premier League for Burnley is a fight against relegation. It is obvious to everyone that we don't have the same resources as the other teams with the possible exception of Huddersfield and Cardiff. This year will be a particularly tough fight against relegation because Wolves and Fulham have received massive financial support from their owners that we can never hope to match.

The failure to strengthen significantly in the transfer window is just a sign of that issue rather than us not having a good recruitment policy. Over the past few years we have won the Football League and then done pretty well in the Premier League and in doing so we have overcome massive odds against us. From a more dispassionate perspective what we have achieved is just remarkable. The problem is that the remarkable is remarkable, it simply doesn't go on for ever.

Over this time Sean Dyche and the board have come up with a strategy that for years now has enabled us to massively overachieve. A large part of that strategy is based on playing tight aggressive football and building up a really strong team spirit. To keep this successful strategy working we can bring in only a particular type of player and that means we have limited options in the transfer market, even more limited when you factor in the limited resources available

This season there is no doubt the Europa League has led to poorer Premier League performances as many feared it would do. It is not just a matter of players being physically fatigued but there is also the mental fatigue of having to focus on two really tough matches every week. The way the Europa League works is just ridiculous. It means you have to play in the equivalent of two leagues instead of one.It is not just about fatigue it is also about preparation time. Every week we have to work out how to play in two high level matches. After a late return on Thursday the players would then probably have Friday morning off and then have only Saturday to work on detailed planning for the Fulham game. I think it is this limited time for effective planning and working on game plans that is a bigger factor than the fatigue.

Whatever happens this season, Burnley have been wonderful over the last five years or so, winning the Football League and then 'Best of the Rest'. There are solid reasons why we are struggling a bit so far this season, but I don't see anyone to blame. It's just the way it is with Burnley in the Premier League. So let's see what happens on Thursday and then dig in for a really tough fight for the rest of the season.

PS: I am a happy-clapper.
Excellent post, it’s very humbling to have a sense of perspective with regards to where the club have come from & how far it’s gone, realitywise punching above the weight for a awhile with that comes lofty expectations which aren’t always achievable not indefinitely anyhow.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:01 pm

I don't buy into we look leggy because of Europe thing. It should be adding to our start not detracting from it. I think completely the contrary..... it is the keep swapping and changing of players that means that we're not working properly as one unit.

I agree we miss a defensive minded midfielder.... I thought one signing that would have been cast iron certainty this summer, but we have what we have until Christmas.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:04 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I don't buy into we look leggy because of Europe thing. It should be adding to our start not detracting from it. I think completely the contrary..... it is the keep swapping and changing of players that means that we're not working properly as one unit.

I agree we miss a defensive minded midfielder.... I thought one signing that would have been cast iron certainty this summer, but we have what we have until Christmas.
Although I’m not buying into all this doom and gloom just yet it’s ridiculously inept that we have to wait until xmas to sign reinforcements. We had so long to plan last season as it was clear at xmas we were never getting relegated.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:05 pm

And I don't think anyone on here thought we had a great transfer window. We clearly needed at least another bod in midfield

Where we sit we all said we were not bothered about Clucas, but we did need someone in that position.

The setbacks for Defour and Brady, and the injury to JBG today just make it look even worse than it was.

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Being in Europe, we needed at least five new players to strengthen the squad: we haven't got them, so out of Europe on Thursday, hopefully.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:And I don't think anyone on here thought we had a great transfer window. We clearly needed at least another bod in midfield

Where we sit we all said we were not bothered about Clucas, but we did need someone in that position.

The setbacks for Defour and Brady, and the injury to JBG today just make it look even worse than it was.
Defour and Brady haven't played in how long? They were injured before the summer transfer window even opened. You need to find some better excuses

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 pm

Yup, we got three, and still needed two.

Clucas would have been able to cover both, though the doubt is that he'd be good enough.

But someone like that would have been ideal.

Vino blanco

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Lancaster, we didn't get three really, Hart was a necessity because of our goal keeping crisis, whilst Gibson and Vydra were late additions because we missed our original targets.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:And I don't think anyone on here thought we had a great transfer window. We clearly needed at least another bod in midfield

What concerns me is that SD appeared to think midfield was not such a problem (as he didn't with only three CB's last season) - even if Brady and Defour were fit we were always at least two midfielders light

He fixated on Dawson and Jay Rod but eventually (at the last minute) they were replaced with Vydra and Gibson but, other than the Clucas rumour, where were our other summer targets especially given our injuries to existing midfield players now compounded with JBG
This user liked this post: Claretnick

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:24 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Genuine question.
By thinking to your self, "well, I've watched my team lose 2 on the bounce before. But I've seen them do it in the 4th division, to Rochdale or Darlington. For the best part of the last 40 odd years I've seen them struggle in the lower leagues , with the odd glimmer of hope and countless false dawns. Do what I'll do, is take a deep breath and tomorrow I'll put this setback behind me and tell myself under Sean Dyche, I've never been as proud to call myself a Burnley fan. Because the respect from the footballing world and global profile has, in its history has, never been greater. I'll look forward to a mouth watering tie, under the turf moor lights on Thursday against the Greek giants Olympicos. Then days later, my team locking horns with one of the biggest clubs in the world lead out on to the famous old pitch by Burnleys most successful manager in the last 50 years. Because without his stewardship, we wouldn't be here"

That's how.....
These 3 users liked this post: Spijed longsidepies Pimlico_Claret

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:41 pm

Best thing for us to do is lose on Thursday and rethink the season. It's early enough in the season to not panic but let's be honest about the Europa League; we don't have a squad to deal with it's demands so let's bail now before it has long term impact on the club.

We could realistically throw the Olympiakos and Man Utd games and start over after the International break - effectively saying our season starts then. We wouldn't be that far behind and we could get back to basics. It's a long hard season. We'll pick up the points we need I'm sure.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:44 pm

You can't defend it, dreary Dyche didn't even bother to defend it, that's how bad it was.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:44 pm

I don't need to find any excuses at all

I'm looking at how we've always done our transfer dealings, and I'm looking at the state of the market, the amount of clubs trying to sign players that will make a difference and the amount of clubs that didn't get in the players they needed.

It wasn't a great one at all, but its far from being our worst, with new contracts handed out to key players and new players in positions we desperately needed them in.

I'm probably a bit too much of a "happy clapper", but there is a middle ground somewhere here. All I know for sure is that your criticism are well over the top.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: scouseclaret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:45 pm

I'd hope we put in a good performance on Thursday and win the game 1-0. Then defend better at against Man U and draw 0-0. But we aren't going to climb the table until Brady and Defour are back. If they aren't going to be back this season, then we're in trouble.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:50 pm

jojomk1 wrote:What concerns me is that SD appeared to think midfield was not such a problem (as he didn't with only three CB's last season) - even if Brady and Defour were fit we were always at least two midfielders light

He fixated on Dawson and Jay Rod but eventually (at the last minute) they were replaced with Vydra and Gibson but, other than the Clucas rumour, where were our other summer targets especially given our injuries to existing midfield players now compounded with JBG
When has anyone officially said we were in for Jay Rod and Dawson..... we inquired and made a couple of bids, if the media is to believed. It's a bit of a leap to say we fixated on them, any more than to claim to know exactly who else we did have in our sights or not. If someone's name was kept out of the media for whatever reason how would we know? It is a MASSIVE assumption to think everything comes out... it doesn't and nor should it.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Nonayforever wrote:It obviously wasn't great today, similar to the Watford game.
But the question to ask is not the one the OP has posted.

We have what we have, we can't change much at this stage of the season, so we have to ask what can we do in order to get back to earning points.

Winning points starts at the back. Get clean sheets. Nick a goal, take the few chances we get, hang on

It's not pretty but it creates confidence, moves the team forward. When points are on the board then progress.

Pointing the blame finger from the fans or manager does nothing constructive.
the Allardyce method

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:53 pm

This board is sinking lower and lower. Three games in and we're fooked apparently. :roll:

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:59 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:This board is sinking lower and lower. Three games in and we're fooked apparently. :roll:
Unbelievable isn’t it.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Murphy just made a very good point re the Europa League effect. Basically that the players left out but who have to travel have to put up with all the disruption but without the benefit of playing a game.

Indeed I thought that Tarkowski, Mee and Lowton were strong candidates for our three worst performers today.

28 shots, 12 on target, where was the marking and blocks we usually see?

Play our strongest team on Thursday for me Wood and Barnes up top. Also try three at the back pushing Tarky forward. Play two wide, push Hendrick up behind a front two. If it works, then same again vs Man Utd.

Today Dyche picked the same line plus same subs as vs Watford with exactly the same result. Comprehensive defeat.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:18 pm

Just watched Motd, their front man did everything Wood didn't do and gave Tarks the runaround all the game.

I don't know how SD does his analysis of the game, but that's a good starting point.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Nonayforever wrote:Just watched Motd, their front man did everything Wood didn't do and gave Tarks the runaround all the game.

I don't know how SD does his analysis of the game, but that's a good starting point.
First day of training next week should be Dyche replacing Chris Wood with a plank of wood and seeing if anyone is able to make the distinction.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:23 pm

Anyone know any good DJ’s in Burnley to take my mind off our early season performances?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:Murphy just made a very good point re the Europa League effect. Basically that the players left out but who have to travel have to put up with all the disruption but without the benefit of playing a game.

Indeed I thought that Tarkowski, Mee and Lowton were strong candidates for our three worst performers today.

Play our strongest team on Thursday for me Wood and Barnes up top. Also try three at the back pushing Tarky forward. Play two wide, push Hendrick up behind a front two. If it works, then same again vs Man Utd.

Today Dyche picked the same line plus same subs as vs Watford with exactly the same result. Comprehensive defeat.
We'll have to change the line-up at least as JBG will be out for some weeks,options are thin on the ground alas i'd consider McNeil on Thursday and give him carte blanche to create,we have nothing to lose by giving it a go,Man Utd might be a good game to get our season going it's not a game we're expected to gain anything from,so essentially it's a free hit and we usually raise our game against the big boys.

Ideally Cork could do with a break but i can't see Sean resting him,if he was to break down we really are up a creak without a paddle.

Agree about Wood needing support he can't play the lone striker role effectively,when in a two he carries a goal threat,but whoever is up top we have to provide decent service,it maybe a case of going back to basics,and winning ugly for a while,just to get up and running.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:04 am

ksrclaret wrote:First day of training next week should be Dyche replacing Chris Wood with a plank of wood and seeing if anyone is able to make the distinction.
FFS.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:12 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:By thinking to your self, "well, I've watched my team lose 2 on the bounce before. But I've seen them do it in the 4th division, to Rochdale or Darlington. For the best part of the last 40 odd years I've seen them struggle in the lower leagues , with the odd glimmer of hope and countless false dawns. Do what I'll do, is take a deep breath and tomorrow I'll put this setback behind me and tell myself under Sean Dyche, I've never been as proud to call myself a Burnley fan. Because the respect from the footballing world and global profile has, in its history has, never been greater. I'll look forward to a mouth watering tie, under the turf moor lights on Thursday against the Greek giants Olympicos. Then days later, my team locking horns with one of the biggest clubs in the world lead out on to the famous old pitch by Burnleys most successful manager in the last 50 years. Because without his stewardship, we wouldn't be here"

That's how.....
all good and well, I was also there trawling around the bottom leagues watching us be utter crap week after week - that is what makes now even more frustrating - we have never been in as good a position as this previous summer to strengthen to give us as good an opportunity to stay at the top table. We failed to do that big time and have no question put our status in jeopardy. That, from the board, having been so poor for a huge chunk of the last 40 years is unforgivable.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:16 am

ClaretLoup wrote:Murphy just made a very good point re the Europa League effect. Basically that the players left out but who have to travel have to put up with all the disruption but without the benefit of playing a game.

I think the travel thing is a good point.. I admit I’ve never really bought the Thursday/Sunday excuse, and neither I think has SD. But as I got back from an overnight flight to Manchester on Friday morning, maybe an hour or two after the team, i wondered if I would fancy doing a days work later on. And if they didn’t, that would leave them one training session on Saturday to prepare, regardless of whether they played on Thursday or not.

That’s got to be difficult for any team, let alone one with no previous experience.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:11 am

Southampton got in the Europa League and struggled and haven't recovered
Swansea got in the Europa League and struggled, never recovered and got relegated
Everton got in the Europa League, struggled, replaced their manager twice and have spent 250 million to get out of it

spot the theme of the poisoned chalice

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:32 am

Finishing 7th had clearly spoilt a lot of you
That was nothing short of a miracle

Maybe we go down this season maybe we finish 4th from bottom

Îme still going to be a Claret

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1234 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:47 am

Vegas Claret wrote:Southampton got in the Europa League and struggled and haven't recovered
Swansea got in the Europa League and struggled, never recovered and got relegated
Everton got in the Europa League, struggled, replaced their manager twice and have spent 250 million to get out of it

spot the theme of the poisoned chalice
The theme is that smaller clubs do not have enough quality to rotate squads.

The top 6 clubs have 20 or so top class international players. The Europa league qualifiers may have half that.

This becomes an issue when you are having to play, travel, play and not have enough time to rest and prepare for each game.

The factors affecting us are:
Travel
Recouperation
Changes to the team (notably back 5)
Lack of time to prepare for individual matches
lack of quality replacements
Injuries to 2 and now 3 of our top class internationals
General squad rotation is new for us (never been Sean’s way)

Need a bit of perspective and less panic as we adapt to our new situation. This is all happening whilst Championship promotion teams are spending a years tv money in one transfer window.

We need to adapt quick but the great man will sort it.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland