How do you defend that?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Re: How do you defend that?

Post by KlyBfc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:48 am

Vegas Claret wrote:Southampton got in the Europa League and struggled and haven't recovered
Swansea got in the Europa League and struggled, never recovered and got relegated
Everton got in the Europa League, struggled, replaced their manager twice and have spent 250 million to get out of it

spot the theme of the poisoned chalice
The Europa League has nothing to do with it, it’s the sad reality of the premier league that at some point all but the top 6 are going to struggle and or be relegated. People need to face that fact and we could get knocked out if the EL on Thursday and stay up, but at some point (probably sooner rather than later) we are going to go back down.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:50 am

The Europa has (nearly) everything to do with it, though I would throw poor recruitment into the mix too. By Friday morning we'll have played 6 Thursdays in a row with a tiny squad of players good enough to start a premier league game with current injuries. From the 26th July to 2nd of September we'll have played 9 tough games. Fulham will have played 4, and one against Exeter.

Our preparation and recovery, especially after away games in Athens or Turkey, means the likelihood if a good performance drops massively. We are a side that likes a well-drilled settled 11, who all know their jobs and have clearly worked together as a unit week on week to stay focussed and organised. I'm not saying it's a fix all if we go out of Europe, but having a week between games with proper rest, recovery and preparation would make a heck of a difference. We did not recruit for Europe, and we're paying the price early on in the premier league. I don't think it's much more complicated than that.
These 4 users liked this post: joey13 Cleveleys_claret Vegas Claret mybloodisclaret

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:06 am

willsclarets wrote:The Europa has (nearly) everything to do with it, though I would throw poor recruitment into the mix too. By Friday morning we'll have played 6 Thursdays in a row with a tiny squad of players good enough to start a premier league game with current injuries. From the 26th July to 2nd of September we'll have played 9 tough games. Fulham will have played 4, and one against Exeter.

Our preparation and recovery, especially after away games in Athens or Turkey, means the likelihood if a good performance drops massively. We are a side that likes a well-drilled settled 11, who all know their jobs and have clearly worked together as a unit week on week to stay focussed and organised. I'm not saying it's a fix all if we go out of Europe, but having a week between games with proper rest, recovery and preparation would make a heck of a difference. We did not recruit for Europe, and we're paying the price early on in the premier league. I don't think it's much more complicated than that.
It has nothing to do with Swansea going down a number of years after winning the league cup and getting into Europe, Everton selling their best strike and then having poor recruitment before stuttering to an 8th place finish! or Southampton sacking Puel and replacing him with an unproven Pellegrino.

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:11 am

Fair enough, I was referring to our performances thus far which imo are directly related. Without it, I think with our current squad we'd have been much more competitive against Watford and Fulham. Long term yeah, it's going to be tough to stay in the premier league. But there's no doubt Europa does have an impact on league performance, just like losing your best striker or a poor choice of manager does.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 am

Vegas Claret wrote:all good and well, I was also there trawling around the bottom leagues watching us be utter crap week after week - that is what makes now even more frustrating - we have never been in as good a position as this previous summer to strengthen to give us as good an opportunity to stay at the top table. We failed to do that big time and have no question put our status in jeopardy. That, from the board, having been so poor for a huge chunk of the last 40 years is unforgivable.
To be fair I can empathise with your frustration. We have to assume that the board have the long term interest of the club at heart. Their track record suggests they do. However, there is a fine line between being financially prudent and astute, and bring short sighted. It depends how you view how the board is doing. I guess you're of the view that they're being unambitious, myopic and penny pinching. ( hope I'm not putting words into your mouth) This is obviously frustrating for you and many others. My concern is that the best manager we've had for 50 years doesn't feel the same......

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:27 am

willsclarets wrote:The Europa has (nearly) everything to do with it, though I would throw poor recruitment into the mix too. By Friday morning we'll have played 6 Thursdays in a row with a tiny squad of players good enough to start a premier league game with current injuries. From the 26th July to 2nd of September we'll have played 9 tough games. Fulham will have played 4, and one against Exeter.

A fantastic point and right on the nose.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Unbelievable isn’t it.
Yes I take your point, but this needs addressing and quick, simple as, we can't just brush it under the carpet like it's s blip, there are clearly serious problems here, and before you say I'm not a soon and gloomer, I'm one to take positives from a performance,sorry but yesterday there were none.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3340 times
Has Liked: 1959 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:04 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:Yes I take your point, but this needs addressing and quick, simple as, we can't just brush it under the carpet like it's s blip, there are clearly serious problems here, and before you say I'm not a soon and gloomer, I'm one to take positives from a performance,sorry but yesterday there were none.
Performances should be debated, if people think players are poor they should absolutely be allowed to say so.
It’s the over the top reactions, new Manager needed, down already ******** that’s embarrassing.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:29 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:To be fair I can empathise with your frustration. We have to assume that the board have the long term interest of the club at heart. Their track record suggests they do. However, there is a fine line between being financially prudent and astute, and bring short sighted. It depends how you view how the board is doing. I guess you're of the view that they're being unambitious, myopic and penny pinching. ( hope I'm not putting words into your mouth) This is obviously frustrating for you and many others. My concern is that the best manager we've had for 50 years doesn't feel the same......
I understand the "looking after the club" line they keep spouting but my fear is Dyche will leave because he isn't getting the backing required to do the job. I don't think anyone is expecting us to do a Wolves but something is going to give at the Turf and it will either be the board or the manager

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Southampton got in the Europa League and struggled and haven't recovered
Swansea got in the Europa League and struggled, never recovered and got relegated
Everton got in the Europa League, struggled, replaced their manager twice and have spent 250 million to get out of it

spot the theme of the poisoned chalice
Why have Southampton not recovered? They were in the Europa League how many years ago? 3? Are they not above us in the league right now?

Swansea were last in Europe when? after they beat Bradford in the cup final? 5 years ago? they got relegated last year, I'm not sure Swansea's relegation last season can be blamed on them playing Sunday/Thursday 4 years prior.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:37 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Well there is the rumour that has come from several reliable sources saying that built into his contract is a bonus related to how little he spends
A rumour just started by you!

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:38 pm

5 wins in 30 games as pointed out by someone else, 22? of those from last year before we were in the Europa League. It's simply poor form carrying on from last season and a lack of signings hasn't changed the poor form.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Yeah it’s massivley clear we were negligent in the transfer market, nothing we can do now other than hope it doesn’t cost us.

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:13 pm

That's not a great stat I agree krbfc, but I don't remember too many games where we weren't competitive. We didn't give too many football games away. And it's not unusual to have a bad run in the premier league, but when push came to shove only 6 teams got more points than us over a full season.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2000 times
Has Liked: 1145 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:37 pm

In life and Sport you generally get what you pay for. Burnley FC pay some of the lowest wages in The PL and (still) have one of the smallest squads. We had a shockingly bad summer transfer window (again) and added to playing in the toughest league in the world we are naively trying to compete in The Europa League which we have 0% chance of winning. After this Thursday we will have played 3 PL games and 6 EL games with arguably a weaker squad than last season. Why are some supporters surprised ? What did they expect....top 6 and winning the Europa League !! As I said you get what you pay for and that is exactly what we have got.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:39 pm

FCBurnley wrote:In life and Sport you generally get what you pay for. Burnley FC pay some of the lowest wages in The PL and (still) have one of the smallest squads. We had a shockingly bad summer transfer window (again) and added to playing in the toughest league in the world we are naively trying to compete in The Europa League which we have 0% chance of winning. After this Thursday we will have played 3 PL games and 6 EL games with arguably a weaker squad than last season. Why are some supporters surprised ? What did they expect....top 6 and winning the Europa League !! As I said you get what you pay for and that is exactly what we have got.
Generally yes you’re right. But sometimes there are bargains to be had if you’re willing or able to look hard enough.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 979 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:57 pm

"But SOMETIMES there are bargains to be had"

The club should not be basing the transfer window in hoping that they can find a bargain or two. They needed to be adding some proven players to the squad with a tough PL season ahead and the need to play in the Europa League. If a bargain becomes available all well and good.

If you base you weekly shop on finding bargains you might well come back with profiteroles and ice cream but none of the basics of meat, vegetables and fruit. An unbalanced diet and an unbalanced team.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:58 pm

These defences issues aren't new we shipped 7 goals in our last 2 matches,Arsenal and Bournemouth to finish the campaign,i posted last night but it must have been deleted as i think some threads have disappeared,since the Arsenal debacle our conceded stats are,Arsenal 5,Bournemouth 2,at Southampton we kept a clean-sheet just,leaked 3 to Watford and 4 today at a newly promoted side,now Arsenal can be forgiven,but the rest will likely finish in the lower half of the table even Watford despite their impressive start.

What is more alarming is how quickly we are gifting early goals at the start of both halves,though to give credit we have hit back straight away,and also we conceded 2 in a matter of minutes against Watford,deja vu yesterday from 1-1 suddenly in both games we are 3-1 down and chasing the match.

This league is hard enough to gain points in without giving the opponents a head start,and we are never going to pull 2 goals back,we rarely come from behind as it is,our 3 most creative players are sidelined for the imminent future so we have to go back to basics,make ourselves hard to break down,and grind out some one-nils,it won't be pretty but we need to put points on the board soon.

OH! and cut the stupid mistakes at least make the other team have to work for their rewards.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:59 pm

You miss my point. Look hard enough find quality bargains. Look at the players Leicester signed a few years ago. We just aren’t set up.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I understand the "looking after the club" line they keep spouting but my fear is Dyche will leave because he isn't getting the backing required to do the job. I don't think anyone is expecting us to do a Wolves but something is going to give at the Turf and it will either be the board or the manager
History would suggest it's more likely to be the latter.

Worryingly......

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 pm

If any fan of another club is reading this messageboard, we must come across as the dumbest set of fans that's ever stepped foot in the Premier League. Bejesus.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:24 am

Not as dumb as the fan(s) from other clubs who decide to come on here though.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 am

State of some of these on here, good to see Skipton, Cleveleys etc still the same

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:53 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:State of some of these on here, good to see Skipton, Cleveleys etc still the same
As the season draws to a close I think more of these idiotic threads will be bumped! ;)