The lack of confidence in our defence

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

The lack of confidence in our defence

Post by Spijed » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:26 pm

Seem to be struggling with aerial balls as much as anything. Something that they could deal with easily last season.

Both Tarkowski and Mee look out of sorts in that respect.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Re: The lack of confidence in our defence

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:33 pm

they all look they are dragging a parachute behind them

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Drop Mee and put Gibson in.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Same outstanding back 5 as last season - with one exception...
These 3 users liked this post: IanMcL Silkyskills1 IAmAClaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:34 pm

I think, subconsciously, they do not trust the keeper, like they trusted Pope. They knew he would come and collect.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 2529 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Spot on regarding Nick Pope. Another classic example of not knowing what you've got till it's gone'. Bred confidence in those in front of him. Doesn't seem to be much difference between the two vying for the jersey presently. One short on confidence and the other making his way back from a serious injury.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Mee looks so poor this season. Almost like he's got his new contract so doesn't give a rats.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Don’t lay this at Harts door. All the back 4 are off last years level
Tarks hasn’t been the same since his cap. Mee since his contract negotiations, although he has been a slow starter previously. Lowton has been ok and I'm not sure what’s happening with Ward, being subbed regularly now but after 12months I’ll finally say I’m not impressed with Taylor at all. I hadn’t seen him much with Leeds and was excited about this marauding LB we’d signed. Well when is he showing up?

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Not willing to give up on Mee just yet but if he isn't performing in 2/3 games time then maybe it will be time to shake things up. My choice would be Long as he looks to have improved so much but don't think the partnership works with Tarks so would be time for Gibson to step up. Also if tightening up is what we need then maybe Lowts should have a spell on the sidelines and Bardsley given a shot. Last few games he hasn't put a foot wrong defensively

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:24 pm

piston broke wrote:Don’t lay this at Harts door. All the back 4 are off last years level
Tarks hasn’t been the same since his cap. Mee since his contract negotiations, although he has been a slow starter previously. Lowton has been ok and I'm not sure what’s happening with Ward, being subbed regularly now but after 12months I’ll finally say I’m not impressed with Taylor at all. I hadn’t seen him much with Leeds and was excited about this marauding LB we’d signed. Well when is he showing up?
Bang On regards Hart. Tarks seems to be slightly cockier and running a few more risks. Mee just doesnt look bothered. Taylor is being played out of position and doesnt know from one minute to the next where he is supposed to be. His marauding nature will have been encouraged at Leeds whereas as SD will have been trying to stop that side of him.

Can see why we were heavily linked with Joe Bryan after todays performance

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:46 pm

last season it felt like we had 8 captains playing in every game, today we didn't have a single one

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1879 times
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Get Heaton back in we look short of a leader. Any of the current back 4 could have no complaints for being dropped.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Very worrying when a Dyche side looks like it can't defend, because you can't rely on creativity and scoring goals to win games.

Can't quite believe how shaky we've looked in the last few games and even more shocked we've let in 8 goals in the last 3. When does that ever happen under Dyche? Against modest opposition as well. Concerning.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:51 pm

IanMcL wrote:I think, subconsciously, they do not trust the keeper, like they trusted Pope. They knew he would come and collect.
Talking out of your ass, typical agenda driven nonsense, we get it, you never have and never will like Hart but you don't need to keep digging him out. To answer the OP, my opinion is Ward hasn't quite been the same player since that injury he got last year, Tarkowski unfit or playing with an injury? (I know he had an OP in the summer), as for Lowton and Mee, god knows but they're both struggling for form. I don't see how any of it is Hart's fault, I don't think he's really put a foot wrong since he walked in the door.
This user liked this post: Archer

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 pm

I actually think it's a lack of effort from some players, I'd love to somehow pull up a short clip from today's game but i'm not sure how to do it.

Charlie Taylor playing left back after Ward went off, he stands still and just allows Schurrle to walk through on goal, 1 on 1 which Hart eventually saves.
While Schurrle is through on goal, what is Taylor's reaction? he walks back like Darikwa against Arsenal no attempt to make amends for his error, complete lack of interest.

leightonjameslegend
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by leightonjameslegend » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Pope is a massive loss, but that doesn’t mean the blame lies with Hart or Heaton. But, as many have mentioned on various threads Pope commanded his area, claimed crosses and gave added security. Today and on Thursday night the keepers often stayed on their line adding to the danger and lack of confidence. Add to that the constant changing of the defence which just doesn’t make sense. Thursday we need the same back 5 to get some fluidity back to our play. Put in a good performance and keep a clean sheet, no matter if we don’t score enough to get us through the tie. We really need to get back to basics.
Then work out what to do with the lack of wingers!

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:35 pm

I've said it on other posts, this midfield does not close down the opposition or protect the defence.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:57 pm

They should only have scored one today.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:00 pm

Hart getting scapegoated here despite Lowton getting shredded all afternoon by Schurrle after assisting Hughes last week, and Ward having not played well whatsoever this year at the age of 33...

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:02 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:Same outstanding back 5 as last season - with one exception...
Can't be underestimated unfortunatly. Hart has played well, but the mental side takes time.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Vino blanco wrote:I've said it on other posts, this midfield does not close down the opposition or protect the defence.
Also correct. Fourth goal (and the countless chances that came before it) a direct result of endlessly giving the ball away and not having ample protection in front of the back 4. Catalogue of errors, both individual and as a team.

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:03 pm

And Ward is miles off the pace. Miles.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:04 pm

I think Hart has to take responsibiilty for the headed goal from the free kick, nothing more.
Can anyone explain why Ward plays Mitrovic on for the third? Wouldn't have happened with our better disciplined defence of last season...and they're the same players!

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Hart - He’s been fine. And he’ll get used to the defence the more he plays.

Lowton - usual and decent. Notngetting as forward as much this year with Lennon there.

Ward - we’ll off the pace. Taking 1-2 more touches the previously, and when he does decide he telegraphs it. People knows when he’s going long or laying off.

Tarks - since his cap he’s decided he’s made it and has slacked off. Bee poor despite two goals.

Mee - poor. Overall I’m not impressed this season. Not as sharp as last year at all.

I’m so annoyed with our defence. You can’t do too much about worldies, they happen, but the last 3 goals today were terrible.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:29 pm

Hart - He’s been fine. And he’ll get used to the defence the more he plays.

Lowton - usual and decent. Notngetting as forward as much this year with Lennon there.

Ward - we’ll off the pace. Taking 1-2 more touches the previously, and when he does decide he telegraphs it. People knows when he’s going long or laying off.

Tarks - since his cap he’s decided he’s made it and has slacked off. Bee poor despite two goals.

Mee - poor. Overall I’m not impressed this season. Not as sharp as last year at all.

I’m so annoyed with our defence. You can’t do too much about worldies, they happen, but the last 3 goals today were terrible.

dr dre
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by dr dre » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 pm

rotation of the defence is new to dyche and the defence, which has only changed due to injury in the past including keeper. now its changing game to game and everybody is suffering because of it. get back to a settled back 5 and we will return to our normal defensive structure, although teams have identified a weakness to short corners that needs working on.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 pm

It is probably two things at fault.

Firstly, Dyche has attempted to be more offensive with Lennon and Gudmundsson. The trouble with that is we get exposed in central midfield. Was Brady more defensive than he appeared? Was Defour? Arfield and Boyd obviously were. So I am not convinced he has found the balance because if you look at Lennon’s goals and assists it is not particularly good in 8 months (I like Lennon too) and Cork / Westwood / Hendrick don’t have many either.

Secondly, his rotation has meant they are practicing and playing with and against different players each week. It seems like this affects them. There appears to be a mixture of disillusionment by players not playing who expected to be (Lowton and Mee in particular) and miscommunication from those who are (e.g. maybe Hart was expected by his defence to get to the second goal today). There is a reason successful sides don’t like to rotate goalies and central defenders.

I’m not convinced by Westwood either. The telling stat is that the only games we have won in 90 minutes since January are the run of 5 ending with Leicester when we clinched 7th, the ones where Barnes started every one and was on fire.

But we do have a chance to put it right by mirroring Moyes’ United and overturning a 2 goal deficit against Olympiacos. The lift we would get from that would be huge, fans and players alike. But without Gudmundsson and (probably) most of the back four, it seems unlikely.

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:26 am

I actually think there is something up between Mee and Tarks.

We had a corner and Mee told Tarks to stay back, the reaction from Tarks said it all. Noticed it on TV.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by KlyBfc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:42 am

dr dre wrote:rotation of the defence is new to dyche and the defence, which has only changed due to injury in the past including keeper. now its changing game to game and everybody is suffering because of it. get back to a settled back 5 and we will return to our normal defensive structure, although teams have identified a weakness to short corners that needs working on.
I agree with this wholeheartedly and said similar as we headed back after the game yesterday. The defence is the one unit which needs to play together throughout for me and though I don’t solely blame the Europa League, I do think the lack of preparation time combined with rotation means we look disorganised. The way Mitrovic peeled off for the second and ran off his man for the third, along with how Deeney sauntered between Ward and Mee last Sunday makes it look like we are still in pre season and the good habits and understanding which come with playing together regularly are not there.

AngleseyClaret
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by AngleseyClaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:24 am

I think we should try 3 at back on Thursday with 5 strung across midfield, our midfield looked off the pace yesterday, then stick 2 up front and get the ball wide. We need to get things right sooner rather than later and the Europa is ideal for changes.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:36 am

I’ve been wanting 3 at the back since early last season. Still a fan and with Gibson to come in a no brainer for me. Select widemen dependant on the opposition but 3 between them need as much of an understanding as the 3 behind.
Don’t think it would happen anyway but certainly not mid-season.

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:39 am

I’m amazed anyone is calling Tarkowski from the games this season. He was unreal at Southampton and him and Hendrick are the only two who came out with credit in the last two games.

Don’t see a problem with Hart, though he is a stay on your line goalkeeper which is maybe making those in front of him nervous. I’m a massive Heaton fan though and I’d rather have him in. No problem with Hart being in though. Lowton was ok at Southampton, excellent first half against Watford and crap since.

The issue for me is Ward and Mee. Ward has been off it for months. This isn’t a new thing. There are suspicions around Taylor’s defending but I’m not surprised, one week he’s back up centre half, next he’s left back, next he’s a back up winger. How is the lad supposed to develop? Dyche has totally hung him out to dry. Mee has been absolutely awful this season in every game. You don’t sign a £15m defender for the bench. It’s time for Gibson in the Prem.

Heaton
Lowton Tarkowski Gibson Taylor

Back to basics. 442.
This user liked this post: ClaretAL