How to beat Olympiakos...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

How to beat Olympiakos...

Post by willsclarets » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 am

Not much time to wallow in yesterday's defeat, our 8th game in 4 weeks on Thursday night with a 3-1 deficit to overcome. First off, do we go out all guns blazing or try and keep it tight and avoid a drubbing? And with JBG injured who do we play in a midfield looking very light on creativity? Despite all the negatives, which I can understand since we were gash yesterday again, I think (at least at the start) the atmosphere in Turf Moor will be fantastic. It would be absolutely amazing to kick off our season, at least by winning the game even if we don't qualify. But how do we do it and who do we start?

Defence:

GK: Heaton back in the nets for me. Not because Hart did anything wrong, but because he knows that defence and how to organise it.

RB: Lowton - poor game yesterday, but he does have the ability to put quality into the box and without JBG we'll be lacking in this area without him
LB: Taylor - He's not a wide midfielder, but again has the quality to get forward and put balls into the box. Hope he's not put at LM.
CB: Tarks - He's the best CB we have despite shaky form, and looking dangerous at the other end.
CB Long - I'd give his fresh legs a go instead of Mee, who's missing form and doesn't give us as much on the ball.

Midfield - this is a real problem! I think we need to get our wide players further up the pitch, even though we're severely lacking players who can play there. We often looked dangerous last season when our wide player received the ball tucked in, and Ward/Lowton were able to support from deep, and it's not happened this year.

Attacking LM: Lennon - He's having zero joy trying to go on the outside of defenders, I'd try him on the left cutting in and hopefully give some space to Taylor outside him

CM Hendrick - Played well so far this season, I'd have him the most advanced of a three but a starting position deeper than the wide players.
CM Cork - Slightly more defensive role and less box to box, sit in and keep us organised.
CM Westwood - Needs to be picking up the ball ahead of Cork in positions he can pick more dangerous passes, hopefully to Vydra and Lennon

Attacking RM: Vydra - Same as Lennon, would want him to be causing problems more centrally and hard to pick up, Lowton supporting wide. Must start this game.

CF: Barnes - When you're in for a battle and the chips are down, he's the one I'd back up there to put in a performance.

It's going to be tough whoever we put out, but I'd like this team (given our limited options) given a go. We've had some cracking cup ties at Turf Moor over recent years, let's hope this is one of them.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Re: How to beat Olympiakos...

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:59 am

Would try a 5-3-2

Heaton

Bardsley Tarks Long Mee Taylor

Westwood Cork Hendrick

Barnes Wood
Last edited by Cleveleys_claret on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 am

Can Gibson even play after his sending off?

rincon
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by rincon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:02 am

I'd love to see Vydra get a start. We need that early goal to get the nerves settled and set the agenda. Should be a cracking atmosphere, albeit probably not a sellout, but let's make it uncomfortable for the orrible Greeks

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:02 am

Trying to be a bit realist about the line up as SD will never choose Vydra to start as he hasn't even had a sub appearance. We should just go long ball and pepper Barnes and Wood with long balls and really put the pressure on. There is no way we will beat them with the ball on the floor. Lets just give them a 90 min aerial assault and unsettle them. I aint a fan of long ball but with Barnes it can be effective, my frustration with it is when we just play Wood up front on his own and he is not suited to that style of play regardless of his size and build

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:03 am

willsclarets wrote:Can Gibson even play after his sending off?
No he cant ha ha well spotted

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:05 am

If we’re going to pepper their defence with long balls I’d go 4-3-3 as follows

Heaton
Bardsley Tarks Mee Taylor
Westwood Cork Hendrick
Wood Vokes Barnes

But that’s why I’m a fan and not a manager - we’d get hammered if we did that
This user liked this post: willsclarets

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Post by MT03ALG » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:05 am

It would seem the only way to win in Europe is to send the Chairman et al to see the referee at half-time. But do we have enough money for this ?!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:08 am

He just needs to play his strongest team.

He needs to turn this round as nobody knows where are next win is coming from at the moment. 2-0 sees us through.

Moorite
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 108 times

Post by Moorite » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:10 am

Heaton
Lowton Tark Mee Taylor
Westwood Cork Hendrick
Barnes Vokes Vydra

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:11 am

I`ve been advocating on here for a while going all Bayern Munich (that however was with a fit Defour and Brady)...think it would have worked beautifully at home as we were found out in the latter part of last season with our framework 4-4-1-1.

Without the aforementioned two `creatives` not sure it will work but it can`t be anywhere near as bad as the ineffectual stuff served up so far so how about...

Heaton
Lowton Tarkowski Mee Taylor
Hendrick Cork Westwood
Lennon Vydra (couldn`t give two sh*ts if he`s Dyche-fit or not)
Barnes

Give Olympiakos SOMETHING different to think about at least. Let`s not go out with a whimper.

Moorite
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 108 times

Post by Moorite » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 am

Eddie Howe played Delfouneso the same day as he signed on loan and he won us the game.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:59 am

willsclarets wrote:Not much time to wallow in yesterday's defeat, our 8th game in 4 weeks on Thursday night with a 3-1 deficit to overcome. First off, do we go out all guns blazing or try and keep it tight and avoid a drubbing? And with JBG injured who do we play in a midfield looking very light on creativity? Despite all the negatives, which I can understand since we were gash yesterday again, I think (at least at the start) the atmosphere in Turf Moor will be fantastic. It would be absolutely amazing to kick off our season, at least by winning the game even if we don't qualify. But how do we do it and who do we start?

Defence:

GK: Heaton back in the nets for me. Not because Hart did anything wrong, but because he knows that defence and how to organise it.

RB: Lowton - poor game yesterday, but he does have the ability to put quality into the box and without JBG we'll be lacking in this area without him
LB: Taylor - He's not a wide midfielder, but again has the quality to get forward and put balls into the box. Hope he's not put at LM.
CB: Tarks - He's the best CB we have despite shaky form, and looking dangerous at the other end.
CB Long - I'd give his fresh legs a go instead of Mee, who's missing form and doesn't give us as much on the ball.

Midfield - this is a real problem! I think we need to get our wide players further up the pitch, even though we're severely lacking players who can play there. We often looked dangerous last season when our wide player received the ball tucked in, and Ward/Lowton were able to support from deep, and it's not happened this year.

Attacking LM: Lennon - He's having zero joy trying to go on the outside of defenders, I'd try him on the left cutting in and hopefully give some space to Taylor outside him

CM Hendrick - Played well so far this season, I'd have him the most advanced of a three but a starting position deeper than the wide players.
CM Cork - Slightly more defensive role and less box to box, sit in and keep us organised.
CM Westwood - Needs to be picking up the ball ahead of Cork in positions he can pick more dangerous passes, hopefully to Vydra and Lennon

Attacking RM: Vydra - Same as Lennon, would want him to be causing problems more centrally and hard to pick up, Lowton supporting wide. Must start this game.

CF: Barnes - When you're in for a battle and the chips are down, he's the one I'd back up there to put in a performance.

It's going to be tough whoever we put out, but I'd like this team (given our limited options) given a go. We've had some cracking cup ties at Turf Moor over recent years, let's hope this is one of them.
Fully understand all your reasons for playing this team wills and the need to do something different, although I'm also in agreeable on your point with mee, I don't think long here would be the answer, he's simply not left sided and would create just as much uncertainty especially on Thursday, my answer is stick with mee and give him a kick up the bum he clearly needs it. But just to re -iterate vydra has to start but furthermore dyche has to let him play we can't afford to have him drop into defensive mode like the rest of them, we need goals,vydra can unlock the door imo.

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:26 pm

See your point about Long playing left sided, but I think Tarks is a good enough footballer to play on the left side of a two. I'm not as bothered about that as I am about Taylor staying at LB, Lennon switching sides and Vydra getting a start though.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:31 pm

If all we're going to do is go long, I'd go with Vokes and Barnes ahead of Wood. For a big guy, he gets bullied far to easily.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Although I’m convinced we can, we really don’t want to want to beat Olympiakos because if we do, we’ll f*ck up the rest of our season and the Prem is our primary revenue stream.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:49 pm

play the u23's and say it's a protest to UEFA due to the lack of response to the nonsense in the first leg

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:54 pm

I'd try Tarkowski upfront if we're going to keep wellying it

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:01 pm

We can’t afford to go through, massive massive shame but we just didn’t take it seriously in the summer.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm

How to beat Olympiakos?
Dyche and the subs must be prepared to run on the pitch for every decision that goes against us. Garlick should appear in the tunnel before the match armed with a Glock .45 calibre hand gun to greet the referee. Special “squads” of officials should be trained to mob the referee’s assistants at appropriate intervals.
I really hate this Greek mob, owned by a thug, a gangster, a drug trafficker, an all round corrupt fat b@stard.
I hope we tonk them 4-0 with 4 debatable penalties.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2235 times
Has Liked: 2135 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Won't happen in a million years but.....
----------------------Hart/Heaton
-----------Tarky--------Long-------Mee
Lennon/Lowton--------------------Ward/Taylor
---------------Cork----Westy---Hendrick
---------------------------Vydra
---------------------------Vokes

We are desperately short out wide and need to control the game.

Pack the midfield, play it through the middle and go wide for first time crosses into Vokes.

Vydra to have minimal defensive duties and instead picking areas of space and looking to win second balls off Vokes if we go more direct.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Vydra will not even be on the bench I suspect, and that is a pity

willsclarets

Post by willsclarets » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:52 pm

He simply has to be, especially after JBG's injury. I'd be suprised if he didn't start, and utterly astounded if he wasn't on the bench.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:02 pm

Score twice and keep a clean sheet. Easy

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Send them a tourist brochure about the Pendle Witches.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:50 pm

Let's jump and attack their team like they did to some of our fans and make them **** themselves with a few injuries; they'll havr to play their second string and we might have a chance!!

On a serious note, they were quite physical defensively but with 2 up top and a complete 90 min pounding of Barnes and Vokes; free kicks, corners, etc, they might just buckle under the pressure. I saw 2 games in Athens at the weekend where big clubs played small teams and the small teams offered jack; I suspect the big 3/4 teams of Greece arent used to much against the average greek side week in week out; the standard looks pretty poor.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 am

HiroshimaClaret wrote:Vydra (couldn`t give two sh*ts if he`s Dyche-fit or not)
Thumbs up

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 am

...As long as a striker is fit for the 0.1 second it matters, IF he scores the goals.

d1sc0
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by d1sc0 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:02 am

If we are going with any kind of formation with one striker then not Barnes up top on his own. Imo he offers little as a lone striker. This is not a hate Ashley post. His qualities of dropping off winning the ball and endless running (All the ugly stuff he does so well) see him in a position where there is no one to play to as he is the furthest forward player.

When Barnes was playing in a 2 with Wood last season he was quite often unplayable. He dropped off did the ugly stuff and played others in or came from deep to score himself. A waste of a player as a lone striker.

Possibly worth trying 3-5-2
Keeps the strength through the spine of the team
Given limited wide options currently and we do have full backs that can get forward and play in quality balls
Barnes and one other gets the best out of Barnes thus creating opportunities for others
Great for counter attacking which is something I think we have very we under dyche

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:56 pm

Olympiakos are fairly rapid up front and they did us quite a bit of damage playing out wide and crossing or cutting in. If JBG isn't available we will lose a lot on the wings and set piece deliveries.

I don't think we currently have the players available to play down the flanks and float balls in. So I would look at players who can defend on the flanks and push inside to drive through the middle.

Heaton in goal with a back four of Taylor, Mee, Tarks and Bardsley. We need Taylor for our set piece deliveries and a full game at left back, instead of asking him to make the in game mental switch from attack to defend, might sharpen him up. Bardsley did ok in our last match against them and resting Lowton for Saturday isn't a bad idea. Matt would offer more going forward, and we need goals, but if we don't play to exploit the wide areas he would be less effective.

I would play Hendrick out on the left wing, sorry Jeff it's another take one for the team placement, and Walters on the right. Walters could do a reasonable job of keeping the threat at bay, he has a cool head and he can score. Westwood and Cork would go in the middle, with Barnes in the hole and Wood or Vokes up front.

The formation would be something of a sketchy 4-2-3-1 and our sub bench would include Hart, Long, (Wood or Vokes), (Lennon or McNeill) and Vydra.

If I'm being completely honest I would scrap all of that and send out the youth team with Bertie Bee in the role of our captain. I don't like to see us lose or go down without a fight, but sometimes it's better to lose a battle in order to win the bigger war. With the unexpected relapses to Brady and Defour on the injury front, and missing out on a couple of extra bodies in the transfer window, we don't have the numbers to mount serious campaigns on four different flanks - the League, the Europa group stage and two domestic cup competitions.

We have had our day in the sun and it's been fantastic, but our best chance of repeating it is to stay in the Premier League and build our strength so we can have another go at it in the future when we are better prepared.

It's been good to see us experiment with rotation and I suspect we will have to do that in the league over the coming season. However, to my mind the biggest kick in the nuts with the Europa is all of the travelling. The away games throw a huge spanner in the works of our meticulous preparations for matches. We lose half a day training when we fly out, we then have to train in alien surroundings and the travel back causes disruption to another day. That is three days a week and it doesn't take into account problems with dietary and sleep pattern changes. Getting back to a more stable weekly lead up to games might be what we need to tighten things up.

I suspect Sean and the lads will go all out for the win though, because stepping up to challenges and not backing down or away from them is what we do :)

Edit: If JBG is available I would play a forward three of JBG, Hendrick and Walters with Barnes leading the line.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Need to put a word limit on posts. Longer than 3 paragraphs and I just move on to the next.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Blackrod wrote:Need to put a word limit on posts. Longer than 3 paragraphs and I just move on to the next.
Paragraphs 5 8 and 9 were very interesting indeed.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:27 pm

tim_noone wrote:Paragraphs 5 8 and 9 were very interesting indeed.
I think 4-2-3-1 could be the way forward for us this season. We used to be the predictable 4-4-2 side but we added the 4-4-1-1 to our repertoire last season and it worked very well. Considering that we don't currently have a lot of options for the wings a formation that doesn't emphasise that part of the pitch could be a workable alternative that could keep things ticking over. Instead of trying to supply the one or two front men to get goals, which doesn't really seem to be working very well, we could just load up the middle and drive the ball forward. Which is what Olympiakos seem to do.

Other posters have suggested formations that rely on a back five with flying wingbacks, but I don't think we have the players to pull that one off. I can't see Ward sprinting up and down the left side for a full 90 minutes week in and week out. Taylor doesn't seem to have the natural pace to do it. Lowton might be capable and Bardsley doesn't really offer enough going forward.

Everyone seems to expect us to play 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 so having another alternative would make us less predictable. At the moment if our wingers are fit they play, so no competition. A new formation that did away with them could also restore competition for places. If I remember correctly we have previously experimented with something similar in a couple of our past pre-season fixtures. So it might not be a completely alien transition for us to make.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am

Blackrod wrote:Need to put a word limit on posts. Longer than 3 paragraphs and I just move on to the next.
After reading your first sentence I wanted to move on! ;)