Recruitment and progression is a Major issue

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rightfoot
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 74 times

Recruitment and progression is a Major issue

Post by Rightfoot » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:09 am

Id love to know in the last 5 years how many players have been brought into the club at development stage, under 23 and below and how many have come through to the first team. I doubt I would be wrong if I said over 70 players have come and some gone. If we are bringing that many players in and none are lets face it anywhere near the first team, then there is a major issue behind the scenes at the club for the future, I think it were Huddersfield that closed there under 23s and development down as it were deemed surplus. If its the same team that recruit the development players as the first team players then we need a change and quick.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Recruitment and progression is a Major issue

Post by Longsidelenny » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:31 pm

That’s a great posts well said

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Op most sensible post for a while.The players first team ready is non existent

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 pm

Theres a lot of change required when it comes to recruitment. But this approach is a good one, and a necessary one while our own facilities improve.

If Dunne plays a full season at Hearts and has a good one he could be worth 5m or more. Which would pay for him and many other under 23s many times over.

It also means that at least we can compete at some level at under 23s as we aim to improve our grading and appeal to future players. Rome wasnt built in a day nor will our youth set up.

We have bigger recruitment issues than this. Namely how late we do business, how few players we bring in first team ready and how narrow our search pool is.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:43 pm

I don't mind our development team recruitment strategy, it's the first team recruitment that is an issue, so slooooooooooow and we are basically the same team as last year that couldn't pick up points after Christmas.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:59 pm

I would wager that given our geography there are far more attractive prostpects for youth players in the North West of England.
Hudderfield closing thier under 23s gives creadance to this.

As a club we need short term result and cannot afford have a large numbert of younth players on the books, loaning some out and giving a rare few of the top prospects a run out (see Phil Foden, City).

On late transfers we have to do late deals because we are the poorest team in the league, only an idiot would sell an asset to the league pauper before waiting to see who else come in.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 pm

I've not been a fan of youth systems for a while. The likes of Chelsea, Utd, City & Arsenal mop up the best and then when a club of our size finds a gem they steal them for peanuts.
The money spent on Gawthorpe to upgrade our age group rankings should be a good thing but I’ll be very surprised if it pays off.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:50 pm

piston broke wrote:I've not been a fan of youth systems for a while. The likes of Chelsea, Utd, City & Arsenal mop up the best and then when a club of our size finds a gem they steal them for peanuts.
The money spent on Gawthorpe to upgrade our age group rankings should be a good thing but I’ll be very surprised if it pays off.
To be fair, the upgrades should be helping the first team and squad too.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:03 am

piston broke wrote:I've not been a fan of youth systems for a while. The likes of Chelsea, Utd, City & Arsenal mop up the best and then when a club of our size finds a gem they steal them for peanuts.
Surely better youth development comes part and parcel with improving our facilities, remaining a premier league team and thus attracting young players be it finishing 7th or 17th.