REPORT: Craven Cottage Calamity

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

REPORT: Craven Cottage Calamity

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Fulham v Burnley report

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/craven-cottage-calamity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: PhiladelphiaChris

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Re: REPORT: Craven Cottage Calamity

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Excellent report and very honest. Put much better than I can put it.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Tells it as it is but still quite depressing, I haven't heard the expression "break too many squares" before!

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1142 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Good report Tony. Things are not right at our club and hopefully The Manager an/or The Board can rectify whatever is wrong. For some reason the heart and desire seems to have evaporated. I hope it is just a temporary lack of confidence that can turn around with 1 good win.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:52 pm

Fair report but I think we owe the opposition more credit - they were far faster and more skilful than us. They also saw Hart as an obvious weak link and had a shoot on sight policy which got them off to a flyer.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:08 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Good report Tony. Things are not right at our club and hopefully The Manager an/or The Board can rectify whatever is wrong. For some reason the heart and desire seems to have evaporated. I hope it is just a temporary lack of confidence that can turn around with 1 good win.
Yes, I agree. Heart and desire are two vital ingredients of what the manager has built here. Despite the rantings of some posters we are not likely to witness slick, crisp patterns of play. We never really have except on a very odd occasion. What we have seen is desire, determination and evidence of hours of training ground preparation. Take those qualities away and as you quite rightly say it becomes very concerning.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:10 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:Fair report but I think we owe the opposition more credit - they were far faster and more skilful than us. They also saw Hart as an obvious weak link and had a shoot on sight policy which got them off to a flyer.
Drivel. Hart is not a weak link. Midfield and defence are at the moment.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

SalisburyClaret

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Quicknick wrote:Drivel. Hart is not a weak link. Midfield and defence are at the moment.
Drivel yourself - don't argue with me as it's not my point of view. It was their manager's and he was proved right about Hart

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:45 pm

No offence, but writing a report that says Fulham were no good is just wrong. They were a good unit, attacked well and used their strengths against us.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:59 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:Drivel yourself - don't argue with me as it's not my point of view. It was their manager's and he was proved right about Hart
Did he really say that they targeted Hart?

:shock:

simonclaret
Been Liked: 265 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by simonclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:No offence, but writing a report that says Fulham were no good is just wrong. They were a good unit, attacked well and used their strengths against us.
"Average looking Fulham side", can't really argue with that, plenty of teams will have a field day with their defence.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Pretty much spot on that

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:44 pm

simonclaret wrote:"Average looking Fulham side", can't really argue with that, plenty of teams will have a field day with their defence.
I thought they were very average and totally agree they'll concede a lot of goals.

It is worrying that we are suddenly conceding so many goals, all so strange given we'd kept three clean sheets prior to the last three games. I don't think it is anything that can't be resolved but it is a concern until it is.

otto1959
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by otto1959 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:05 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:Fair report but I think we owe the opposition more credit - they were far faster and more skilful than us. They also saw Hart as an obvious weak link and had a shoot on sight policy which got them off to a flyer.
If it wasn't for Hart that would have been a 7 goal defeat.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Utter bull, keep spewing about Hart all you like, he will keep proving you wrong. You didn't like him before he signed, so what? at least support the guy, I don't understand why would you continue to attempt to make him a scapegoat because he was in competition with Heaton/Pope for the England shirt once upon a time. Laughable, Hart and Hendrick were easily our best 2 players Yesterday.
These 2 users liked this post: SalisburyClaret DAVETHEVICAR

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:20 pm

KRBFC wrote:Utter bull, keep spewing about Hart all you like, he will keep proving you wrong. You didn't like him before he signed, so what? at least support the guy, I don't understand why would you continue to attempt to make him a scapegoat because he was in competition with Heaton/Pope for the England shirt once upon a time. Laughable, Hart and Hendrick were easily our best 2 players Yesterday.

‘At least support the guy’

Oh the irony.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:‘At least support the guy’

Oh the irony.
Thought I was hallucinating.

SalisburyClaret

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:42 pm

When you day "our" best players - who are you referring to?

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 pm

What do people think the reason is for our consistently crap second half performances this season?

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Steddyman wrote:What do people think the reason is for our consistently crap second half performances this season?
On a positive note we only conceded 1 goal

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1816 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Perhaps we need to do that mini post HT warm-up that all the other prem sides appear to have adopted?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:‘At least support the guy’

Oh the irony.
I fully support every player, one thing I never have done is scapegoat a player, I even gave Bardsley an 8 on the player ratings a few weeks ago. I may criticise them on an individual basis after a poor performance or collectively but never do I purposely slag off individual players even when they play well. Look at all the Chris Wood threads, you will find me defend the guy constantly, it was the same with Boyd and Gray when they were here.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

This report reminded me of the game at Craven Cottage under Laws (it was 3-0 though I think, not 4-0).

I did all 38 league games that season but that performance at Craven Cottage that Tuesday evening was abysmal - the team lacked desire and fight and then disappeared off to Portugal that evening for some warm weather training. As I drive back north that night it was the time I finally felt we were doomed.

Yesterday’s performance whilst awful, wasn’t as dire as that!

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 am

Interesting to note how little McDonald contributed to the game. Perhaps he was doing a specific job but I didn’t notice him touch the ball until some way into the second half.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 am

Cheshireclaret wrote:This report reminded me of the game at Craven Cottage under Laws (it was 3-0 though I think, not 4-0).

I did all 38 league games that season but that performance at Craven Cottage that Tuesday evening was abysmal - the team lacked desire and fight and then disappeared off to Portugal that evening for some warm weather training. As I drive back north that night it was the time I finally felt we were doomed.

Yesterday’s performance whilst awful, wasn’t as dire as that!
It was nothing like as bad as that performance. It couldn’t have been with no David Edgar who was absolutely horrendous that night.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:04 am

ClaretTony wrote:It was nothing like as bad as that performance. It couldn’t have been with no David Edgar who was absolutely horrendous that night.
Enough to send a shiver down one’s spine. At least any shortage in midfield won’t be THAT bad :lol:

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:21 am

KRBFC wrote:I fully support every player, one thing I never have done is scapegoat a player, I even gave Bardsley an 8 on the player ratings a few weeks ago. I may criticise them on an individual basis after a poor performance or collectively but never do I purposely slag off individual players even when they play well. Look at all the Chris Wood threads, you will find me defend the guy constantly, it was the same with Boyd and Gray when they were here.
Shame your support doesn’t stretch to the manager.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:44 am

Fulham's interplay was superb at times
Fast paced balls to players where they wanted it. Their movement up front was light years ahead of us.
We just put balls in to areas and hoped for the best. It has worked in the past but the defence need to be on top form and keep clean sheets for us to win off scraps.

Fulham's defence does look shaky but it doesn't matter if you score 4 that quite easily could of been 10.

Schurrle was a class act for them and tore us apart. Most on here had an excuse why he wasn't good enough for us. Laughable.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 am

KRBFC wrote:I fully support every player, one thing I never have done is scapegoat a player, I even gave Bardsley an 8 on the player ratings a few weeks ago. I may criticise them on an individual basis after a poor performance or collectively but never do I purposely slag off individual players even when they play well. Look at all the Chris Wood threads, you will find me defend the guy constantly, it was the same with Boyd and Gray when they were here.
'I fear the lady doth protest too much'. Hamlet by William Shakespeare. Known to his friends as Bill,apparently and couldn't half knock a story out, especially comedies and tragedies. Perhaps worth a look for material.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Shame your support doesn’t stretch to the manager.
Again, simply not true. What is it with certain posters making up absolute nonsense responses? Do people really fabricate arguments?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:32 pm

They tend to provoke arguments...

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Personally I didn't think it was calamitous....4-2 ?

I have seen two 4-0 defeats there in the past where we barely had a sniff.

We didn't play well that much is true, and Fulham took their chances with some skill.

Fulham have spent quite a bit of money and have brought in some decent new players; they also may have benefited from that Premier League 'bounce' than newly promoted clubs often get...they are keen, quick up front and raring to go.

We did not defend as well as we customarily do, and some lads had an off day.

Apparently most of our squad got off a plane from Athens at 4.00am on Friday morning - even those who don't play get some tiredness from this sort of thing.

We also have injuries to key players, new signings are not ready to go yet, and some regulars have not found much form so far.
It is still only August...plenty of time to put things right and get us moving and I trust SD with this one.

Craven Cottage is still one of the best AWAYDAYS and this was the case even with the Euston and Putney Bridge station closures, and the rain.
I love that area, the stadium, the pubs are welcoming, and the Fulham fans ['Fulham..Fulham..ra ra ra..] are a decent lot.

** The only other blackspot was the moronic behaviour of those stewards at the Putney End trying to force Burnley fans to sit down.
There was absolutely no trouble, it couldn't have been more peaceful - their interventions were CAUSING trouble...I saw them chuck three fans out.
It didn't work in the slightest, ant they gave it up after 25 minutes.

- the stewards were not doing the same at the packed Hammersmith End where the Fulham Massive congregates...pathetic really.

We have two massive matches coming up in the next few days and I hope we get right behind our team on both occasions...they need our backing.
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 pm

They don't appear to have benefitted from the 'bounce' in their previous two encounters.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:35 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:Personally I didn't think it was calamitous....4-2 ?

I have seen two 4-0 defeats there in the past where we barely had a sniff.

We didn't play well that much is true, and Fulham took their chances with some skill.

Fulham have spent quite a bit of money and have brought in some decent new players; they also may have benefited from that Premier League 'bounce' than newly promoted clubs often get...they are keen, quick up front and raring to go.

We did not defend as well as we customarily do, and some lads had an off day.

Apparently most of our squad got off a plane from Athens at 4.00am on Friday morning - even those who don't play get some tiredness from this sort of thing.

We also have injuries to key players, new signings are not ready to go yet, and some regulars have not found much form so far.
It is still only August...plenty of time to put things right and get us moving and I trust SD with this one.

Craven Cottage is still one of the best AWAYDAYS and this was the case even with the Euston and Putney Bridge station closures, and the rain.
I love that area, the stadium, the pubs are welcoming, and the Fulham fans ['Fulham..Fulham..ra ra ra..] are a decent lot.

** The only other blackspot was the moronic behaviour of those stewards at the Putney End trying to force Burnley fans to sit down.
There was absolutely no trouble, it couldn't have been more peaceful - their interventions were CAUSING trouble...I saw them chuck three fans out.
It didn't work in the slightest, ant they gave it up after 25 minutes.

- the stewards were not doing the same at the packed Hammersmith End where the Fulham Massive congregates...pathetic really.

We have two massive matches coming up in the next few days and I hope we get right behind our team on both occasions...they need our backing.
Stewards were creating a problem that wasn't there...one chap had about five manhandling him down the steps at the rear of the stand with mrT screaming and shouting into his face and shaking him like a rag doll !! Was in the process of videoing it but was approached so to speak.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:36 pm

It was a very poor performance by us and we did make them look world beaters, they do however have some very good players, schurlle was particularly outstanding.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:39 pm

KRBFC wrote:Again, simply not true. What is it with certain posters making up absolute nonsense responses? Do people really fabricate arguments?
Yep your support for Dyche is there for all to see.....

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:17 pm

The big concern about the game was that in the second half when we needed to score we created hardly any decent chances, could not build up any spells of pressure and their keeper did not have a save to make. Meanwhile Fulham peppered Hart, hit the woodwork twice and could have scored five.

First half was pretty even, Mee screwed up to give them a needless corner form which they gained the lead and then they scored from us pressing their goal, even so we still pulled one back.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:20 pm

The Europa Thursday is the problem, the media say so and we are not proving them wrong