Tyrone Mears

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnmark
Been Liked: 602 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Tyrone Mears

Post by burnmark » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:11 am

Signed for WBA on a short term deal.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Re: Tyrone Mears

Post by claretblue » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 am

some (on the website at the time) thought he deserved an International call-up when he was with us in 2010

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:45 am

The same mentalists claiming Brian Jensen should be in the England squad cause he's been in England long enough to apply for it.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Sounds to have had a half-decent career since his ambition took him off to Bolton!

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:20 pm

An ex player who seems to be viewed by a fair amount of Clarets in a negative light and really cant see why. He was a bargain and was o/s in that first Prem league season and one of the few players in our team who didn't look out of place there.

He was superb for us in the Championship the following season and then we got decent money when he and Eagles moved to Bolton that helped fund players like Austin, Vokes and Ings

Good player who served us well, good luck to the lad
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Cleveleys_claret IanMcL

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:33 pm

Don't think he was ever "superb" to be honest. Had some good games - he had pace but very often got caught out at the back post and also going forward he had no end product as he could not cross the ball. The difference when we got Tripps was massive - and Tripps cost nothing and had been on loan at Barnsley so was hardly proven.

The dislike for Mears is how he left the club - and he has a history of it with what he did at Derby.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:40 pm

I was one of those who never rated him saying that he flattered to deceive. Posters responses were "who was out there who could dona better job for us" my retort was "that's for the manager to go out and find that player, and us as fans to judge whether he made the right call or not" fortunately a player arrived under the name of Trippier and the rest as they say is history.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Tripps cost us about 500k I think and arguably it was money for Mears that helped us sign him. Tripps in his first season with us wasn't any better than Mears but Tripps has gone on to be one of the best players we've produced so comparing unfavourably to him is no shame as what players have we had recently that wouldn't? Also if you check the player ratings for those two seasons I bet Mears was top 3 and he definitely was a top player.

As for the leaving Mears was a Prem League standard player at the time, stayed an extra season with us in the Championship and when we didn't go straight back up he wanted to move back into the Prem. Now that sounds a bit like Tripps who signed an extension to play with us in the Prem League but had a release clause so if we dropped down (like we did) he could stay in the Prem League (like he did)

The club needed to offload a few of our big players to get some money in and reduce the wage bill and it is something Howe did brilliantly to leave a great young squad of players for Dyche to work his magic on.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Tripps and Mee cost us £500k for both.
Tripps in his first season was a much better player than Mears....IMHO

Not sure how you get that he was Premier League standard - it was very clearly proven that he wasn't. He was a complete flop at Bolton. Didn't he have a disaster in his first game ?...and then went downhill from there and I know he picked up a few injuries.

Mears refused to play for Burnley - he came out in the press and said he was leaving...which was slightly more dignified than jumping out of the window of the training rooms at Derby and fleeing to France !!

He was a decent right back and better than plenty of right backs we had in the past. - primarily because of his pace. But he was shocking going forward as as said lacked concentration in defence getting often caught out at the back post.

If i say he was "definitely" not a top player btw it does not mean I am correct !
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Purely as a defender I think Lowton is the best right back we've had in a long time, more accomplished than both Mears & Trippier in that respect and serves our defensive set up much better.

Obviously Mears was far quicker & Trippier is far better at crossing the ball, although Lowton does have a very good cross on him at times.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Wow - you think Lowton is a better defender than Tripps.

I like Lowton a lot but he has had plenty of stinkers - the last 2 games for a start. He has nowhere near the pace of Tripps and I can rarely remember Tripps being given some of the torrid times Lowton has got from the opposing winger. The only time I remember Tripps getting a roasting all night was in a home game on a Tuesday night a few years ago to Newcastle where Sammy Ameobi played out of his skin.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:25 pm

Spijed wrote:Purely as a defender I think Lowton is the best right back we've had in a long time.
:D

Stopped reading at that point.

Seriously though, Lowton is decent lower level prem, top level championship right back. Trippier is international quality and was a stand out player in the World Cup.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:26 pm

TVC15 wrote:Wow - you think Lowton is a better defender than Tripps.

I like Lowton a lot but he has had plenty of stinkers - the last 2 games for a start. He has nowhere near the pace of Tripps and I can rarely remember Tripps being given some of the torrid times Lowton has got from the opposing winger. The only time I remember Tripps getting a roasting all night was in a home game on a Tuesday night a few years ago to Newcastle where Sammy Ameobi played out of his skin.
Was Tripper as good at tackling or defending his area as well as Lowton though?

aggi
Been Liked: 2114 times

Post by aggi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:40 pm

TVC15 wrote:Don't think he was ever "superb" to be honest. Had some good games - he had pace but very often got caught out at the back post and also going forward he had no end product as he could not cross the ball. The difference when we got Tripps was massive - and Tripps cost nothing and had been on loan at Barnsley so was hardly proven.

The dislike for Mears is how he left the club - and he has a history of it with what he did at Derby.
He had the second most assists in our Premier League season (the same number as Trippier had in his first Premier League season with us).

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm

TVC15 wrote:Tripps and Mee cost us £500k for both.
Tripps in his first season was a much better player than Mears....IMHO

Not sure how you get that he was Premier League standard - it was very clearly proven that he wasn't. He was a complete flop at Bolton. Didn't he have a disaster in his first game ?...and then went downhill from there and I know he picked up a few injuries.

Mears refused to play for Burnley - he came out in the press and said he was leaving...which was slightly more dignified than jumping out of the window of the training rooms at Derby and fleeing to France !!

He was a decent right back and better than plenty of right backs we had in the past. - primarily because of his pace. But he was shocking going forward as as said lacked concentration in defence getting often caught out at the back post.

If i say he was "definitely" not a top player btw it does not mean I am correct !
I think he was Prem League standard because he was one of our best players that season in the Prem League. There was a reason Burnley fans were touting him to play for England in the same way they were calling for Jack Cork to play for England this year. Neither were good enough IMO but both were excelling for Burnley and looking top players

As for flopping for Bolton he broke is leg in his first week of training before playing a game. He made a comeback and debut in Feb but suffered pains and was ruled out for the season. He never really recovered but who knows what would have happened had he not broke his leg

Its all about opinions so fair enough you have yours but as said I'm almost certain for two years at Burnley he hardly missed any games and was always at the top of the ratings. IMO that shows he was a class player for us and should be remembered well
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I think he was Prem League standard because he was one of our best players that season in the Prem League. There was a reason Burnley fans were touting him to play for England in the same way they were calling for Jack Cork to play for England this year. Neither were good enough IMO but both were excelling for Burnley and looking top players

As for flopping for Bolton he broke is leg in his first week of training before playing a game. He made a comeback and debut in Feb but suffered pains and was ruled out for the season. He never really recovered but who knows what would have happened had he not broke his leg

Its all about opinions so fair enough you have yours but as said I'm almost certain for two years at Burnley he hardly missed any games and was always at the top of the ratings. IMO that shows he was a class player for us and should be remembered well
He was ok for us I agree. And along with Fletcher and Eagles i’d say they were 3 of the better performers in a season where were generally very poor (other than the first month or so). But he was part of a defence that got tortured most weeks and conceded a lot of goals.
Whilst the injury at Bolton obviously impacted his time there he did end up playing nearly 30 times. Including his time at Burnley he failed at 4 different Premier League - either by not playing or getting relegated. Simply being picked in a Premier League team does not mean you are premier league standard and don’t think I saw anything in Mears which suggested he was at that level.

But like you say it’s all about opinions.

Plus - the way he left Derby leaves a bad taste in the way he dealt with us....which might be tainting my memory of him as purely a footballer a little I guess !!

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Indecisive wrote::D

Stopped reading at that point.

Seriously though, Lowton is decent lower level prem, top level championship right back. Trippier is international quality and was a stand out player in the World Cup.

I did too .

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:10 pm

The Enclosure wrote:I did too .
Going forward, Trippier is brilliant, there is no question, but defensively is he a top level defender?

Is his tackling better than most, can he get blocks in better than others?

His attacking attributes in the World cup are what made him stand out, but as a defender near his own area he'll never be regarded as that good.

That's what I'm asking.
Last edited by Spijed on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Spijed wrote:Was Tripper as good at tackling or defending his area as well as Lowton though?
Tripps is better at tackling than Lowton and quicker than him also....he is much harder to beat as a defender.
In terms of defending his own area the only area of weakness I have occasionally seen with Tripps is getting beat at the back post - but that is a very hard position to defend especially when you are not the biggest player like Tripps. I’d agree that Lowts probably defends his back post / the right side of the box slightly better than Tripps (it does not happen to Tripps that often now btw)

But as an overall player - defending and attacking Tripps is a long way better than Lowton. Tripps’ defending is excellent - it does not get analysed as much because his attacking is so strong. But if he was defending poorly 100% it would be picked up by the pundits
This user liked this post: Spijed

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:01 pm

TVC15 wrote:
He broke his leg in pre season training after signing for Bolton and hardly played that first season.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Hipper wrote:He broke his leg in pre season training after signing for Bolton and hardly played that first season.
It must have been his first game after the injury then. I remember seeing him on TV scoring an own goal

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:An ex player who seems to be viewed by a fair amount of Clarets in a negative light and really cant see why. He was a bargain and was o/s in that first Prem league season and one of the few players in our team who didn't look out of place there.

He was superb for us in the Championship the following season and then we got decent money when he and Eagles moved to Bolton that helped fund players like Austin, Vokes and Ings

Good player who served us well, good luck to the lad
Agreed, he was fantastic for us.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Started tonight in the Carabao Cup against Mansfield,decent short-term signing at that level.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 777 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:37 pm

Still stealing a living I see.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Lazy git!

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 pm

KRBFC wrote:Agreed, he was fantastic for us.
Sorry DA - this chump agreeing with you puts this one well and truly to bed !

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Ffs lads he was a very good right back. Probably the best we’d had for 20+ years at that time, and n the top 3 in the last 30+ years. That’s not even arguable. Still laugh at all those chumps commenting on his face on the team picture, and what has the way he left derby to go to a France got anything to do with how good he was for Burnley. Some nonsense posted on this thread.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:12 pm

He was a decent player, but one of those that never connected well with the fans.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:00 pm

TVC15 wrote:Sorry DA - this chump agreeing with you puts this one well and truly to bed !
Get over it, not sure why you decided to quote me and tell me that.....