Brady and Defour

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Re: Brady and Defour

Post by dsr » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:11 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:I'll be surprised if Defour puts in an appearance before Guy Fawkes gets burnt.

Or even before the fat jolly bloke with the reindeer climbs down t'chimney.
The good news is that the jolly fat bloke with the reindeer is in fact called Guy Fawkes and he will be getting burnt when he comes early for the pre-Gregorian Hebrew calendar revised New Christmas date of 15th September after I forget to turn my fire out.

I think.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:08 pm

dsr wrote:The good news is that the jolly fat bloke with the reindeer is in fact called Guy Fawkes and he will be getting burnt when he comes early for the pre-Gregorian Hebrew calendar revised New Christmas date of 15th September after I forget to turn my fire out.

I think.
Defour's return will probably render any current calendar obsolete, pre-Gregorian or not. :lol:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5648 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Defour will come back in December and render any potential transfer activity null and void in January - he'll then pull a muscle on Feb 1st

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 pm

If I remember correctly in the fifties and sjxties Jimmy Mac played when half fit and they were some real cloggers around in those days. Recently it was said that Wood couldn't play because he had some blisters on his feet. As a nation we are going softer you cannot do this, you cannot that, some people want to ban players heading a ball next it will don't kick a ball you might have a life threatning injury. Where will it all end.

Spaceman
Been Liked: 52 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Spaceman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:07 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:Laces that tie, showing your age pal?
Christ on a bike . What shoes do you wear ? Showing your economic status pal
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:32 pm

lancastrian wrote:If I remember correctly in the fifties and sjxties Jimmy Mac played when half fit and they were some real cloggers around in those days. Recently it was said that Wood couldn't play because he had some blisters on his feet. As a nation we are going softer you cannot do this, you cannot that, some people want to ban players heading a ball next it will don't kick a ball you might have a life threatning injury. Where will it all end.
Good point you make there about Mac. He missed one quarter of the 59-60 Championship winning season (11 games) and would often be seen with his thigh strapped up during a game.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:48 pm

It’s the old dead leg that always puzzles me. Dishing out a dead leg was the norm during school breaks, but it never stopped anyone playing football.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:49 pm

lancastrian wrote:If I remember correctly in the fifties and sjxties Jimmy Mac played when half fit and they were some real cloggers around in those days. Recently it was said that Wood couldn't play because he had some blisters on his feet. As a nation we are going softer you cannot do this, you cannot that, some people want to ban players heading a ball next it will don't kick a ball you might have a life threatning injury. Where will it all end.
Barnes had the blisters! Wood had, er, an infected bite :)

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Isn't it Jeff Astle's family that are campaigning for more research into the effects of heading a ball? Is it fair to say the nation are going softer if a family like that feel they have lost a relative through football related injuries?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 am

Astle died at 59 according to Wiki and had been diagnosed with degenerative brain disease as much as five years earlier.

A life ebbing away at 54 is no age. I suspect though that most, with the skill to make it as a player, would still opt to play the game, despite the possible risks.

For every Astle, how many players are there that have suffered no such issues and it was certainly a different time back then with less precaution and a football that got heavier with the wet.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:59 am

AlargeClaret wrote: seconds later he's walking back with 2 cups of coffee and the popular and delicious 2 fingered chocolate comestable known as a "Twix"
We're paying these players far too much! :lol:
This user liked this post: Claretto

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:53 am

Spaceman wrote:Christ on a bike . What shoes do you wear ? Showing your economic status pal
slip ons Pal