Paris recommendations

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Paris recommendations

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:12 pm

As per thread title. Looking for some tips, specifically on locations to stay for a long weekend. Not been before so looking to stay fairly central or at least in a spot good for public transport.

Off to Marseille afterwards (on the fast train) for the following week. Have been there before but tips for that welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Re: Paris recommendations

Post by piston broke » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:26 pm

If you are flying into CdeG the direct train takes you into Gare du Nord.
We were out at the Moulin Rouge area last month but the metro is so good you don’t need to be based to central. Even from their we walked in and out twice, no bother at all.
We stayed at the Gold Hotel, Boulevard de Clichy. 3.5 stars from us.
Not sure where the TGV departs from if that might affect your choice.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:43 pm

We are getting the eurostar sorry should have said.

Happy to stay on suburbs if the metro is good, plenty to see, do and eat in the area and if the metro runs late. Prices seem extortionate near the main sights/sites.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3864 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Choose your area wisely. The suburbs are rough as
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Choose your area wisely. The suburbs are rough as
PErfect warm up for Marseille 8-) 8-) 8-)

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm

A fair few years back but I stayed out there a few times in the 3rd ARR between Republique Metro and the Pont Neuf bridge. Not sure about hotels in the area as I stayed with someone who lived there but the area was really nice back then and a short walk into the heart of the city
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5173 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:59 pm

If you have to walk around the area by Gare de Lyon all night because your connecting flight from Istanbul was delayed and you're waiting for a morning train then be prepared to tell plenty of scavangers, beggars and other weirdos to %&* off.

I started in French but it turns out any language will do.

Montmartre is a nice area.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:07 pm

Rowls wrote:If you have to walk around the area by Gare de Lyon all night because your connecting flight from Istanbul was delayed and you're waiting for a morning train then be prepared to tell plenty of scavangers, beggars and other weirdos to %&* off.

I started in French but it turns out any language will do.

Montmartre is a nice area.
No just breaking the trip up to Marseille (Actually considered Montpellier but think we will do Marseille). Assume weather will still be reasonably good in October? That said when I first went round that region a few years ago it was in May and it ****** it down every day!!!
This user liked this post: California Colner

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5173 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:13 pm

We do tend to get a week or two of downpour sometime between the end of September and early November but the weather should be good.

I'd expect a lot of sun and mid twenties for temperature.

For example it's 27 now and expect it'll be like this for the next couple of weeks

PS: Montpellier is far nicer than Marseille :)

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:35 pm

We stayed here last time we went, reasonable rates & good location for what we wanted ....

http://www.hotelqueenmary.com/hotel-que ... s/?lang=en

ecc
Been Liked: 1438 times
Has Liked: 1287 times

Post by ecc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:50 pm

The area round the Gare du Nord, where Eurostar arrives, is not exactly salubrious. And, as mentioned above, the Paris suburbs are more like inner-city areas in the UK. The rich live in central Paris.

But you've travelled a hell of a lot, CFS, so you'll be okay.

aggi
Been Liked: 2122 times

Post by aggi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:07 pm

I stayed here last time I was in Paris https://uk.hotels.com/ho402997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Walking distance of Gare Du Nord but far enough away that it isn't in the more dubious area. Also walking distance to the Louvre, Eiffel Tower etc and next door to a Metro on a few of the main lines.

If you want value then it's definitely worth staying further out and getting the metro which I've done in the past.

johnalexander
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by johnalexander » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 pm

You could always try here. 2 minutes from gare de norde!
These 4 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets mybloodisclaret Bosscat

ClaretFan1994
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by ClaretFan1994 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 pm

Went to Paris in November 17, hotel was decent enough and in a great location was right next to metro and the main restaurant area, travelled by euro star too..

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:32 pm

I'd like to go to a marseille...and take a game in Love their passion.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 pm

If the Gendarme's offer you onto a coach....decline! :?

you get about a bit cf! ;)

Good luck!

:D

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:39 pm

Brilliant place

If I was fluent in french it’ll be my favourite city.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:46 pm

Rowls wrote:We do tend to get a week or two of downpour sometime between the end of September and early November but the weather should be good.

I'd expect a lot of sun and mid twenties for temperature.

For example it's 27 now and expect it'll be like this for the next couple of weeks

PS: Montpellier is far nicer than Marseille :)
Have done Marseille so wont rule it out!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:48 pm

tim_noone wrote:I'd like to go to a marseille...and take a game in Love their passion.
PSG v Lyon the day we arrive. :D She couldnt care less :(

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:55 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:PSG v Lyon the day we arrive. :D She couldnt care less :(
She....the cats mother? :roll:

Bop
Been Liked: 244 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Marginally less graffiti than Athens. Great city though. Latin quarter top drawer, but as previously posted keep your wits about yer. Four lads stopped me and the ex-wife, did a throat cutting gesture whilst calling me ‘amigo’. Detoured into a restaurant and shortly afterwards ate something that had obviously flown during its short life. Not sure still which was the most unpleasant experience. Open top bus, hop on and off at your leisure. Boat ride. Tower. Good but dirty city.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:53 pm

yet another once great european city reduced to tips on where not to go, it is scummy beyond belief unless you have the cash to avoid the **** areas, pickpockets, scamsters, and thieves abound.
This user liked this post: Rowls

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4033 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:52 am

Went to watch U2 in Paris with a coach load about 15 years ago in Stade De France. We stayed somewhere about 3 miles south of the city as I assume it was considerably cheaper than being up town. Me and the Mrs decided to make our own way into Paris and have a look around and likewise after on the return.

We couldn't get back for love nor money (I did NOT offer love) as no public transport running to our area. We got a taxi who said he could take us. He dropped us around a mile from where we staying saying it was too rough to continue, and told us to leave his taxi. Which was great before we had smart phones and GPS. We managed to get a local taxi who charged around 30 euro, when I queried the price he said it was just in case?!?! Of what, to this day remains a mystery.

My advice would be stay near what you want to see and do, as whilst it may cost a few more bob, making your own way around is always a winner.

As for for restaurants I'd recommend New York New York, its right on the river perfect views of the tower, amazing menu and terrific wines, and perfect if you have any questions for the Mrs.

Overall it's a top city, but like any other, have you're wits about you, stay alert and stay safe, but above all.... Enjoy it!

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:34 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4033 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 am

Cfc - looks like restaurant has changed its name to 6 new york as in 6th area of city. 6 newyork.fr

It's class

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:58 am

Tower thingy. Overrated social media selfie at the top nonsense.

Take one at the bottom looks better and far cheaper if you are into that sort of thing.

Don't feel you have to eat snail or especially pig intestines to embrace the French culture.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 am

I believe the Hotel George V is quite nice.
http://www.fourseasons-georgev.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:45 am

Wasn't the George V a battleship sunk by the Japaneses in WWll? Might be a bad omen.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 am

ontario claret wrote:Wasn't the George V a battleship sunk by the Japaneses in WWll? Might be a bad omen.
It was where Princess Diana spent her last hours with her lover.
No I am mistaken it was The Ritz hotel that she left from with Dodi Fayed the night of her death.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:07 am

Avoid the Eiffel Tower, go to the Sacre Ceour instead. About 3 feet shorter but no queues and much cheaper, then a stroll around Montmatre.

The Musee d'Orsay was amazing so spend an afternoon there instead of the Louvre.

Sit outside at a cafe on the main drag and you'll pay a fortune.

Don't tell them you voted Brexit or you'll get a Baldrick style cappuccino.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:25 am

If it be your will wrote:Don't approach Sacre Coeur via the steps unless you want to get into a fight. Get off the metro 1 stop further North and approach it from the side. Logically, that little triangle park on the island, half way across Pont Neuf, is nothing special, but it's one of my favourite ever places.
With whom? We did that last month and had no problem whatsoever.

As mentioned above the view from the Sacre Coeur dome is excellent.

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:00 am

HatfieldClaret wrote:The Musee d'Orsay was amazing so spend an afternoon there instead of the Louvre.
Yes, I agree the Musee d'Orsay is excellent and well worth a visit, much better than the Louvre in my opinion and you don’t have to fight through the crowds. Unless, of course you’re set on seeing the lady with fake smile.

I'd highly recommend spending a few hours walking around Père Lachaise cemetery. Lots of famous people buried there going back in history, Jim Morrison, Frédéric Chopin, Oscar Wilde and Édith Piaf to name but a few. When we went Chopin’s grave was being tended by a guy obviously devoted to the composer, flowers all over and around the grave and he was playing some of his music on a little ghetto blaster.
I’d been before and when I made the suggestion to my missus to go she thought I was nuts. The weather was fantastic so, believe it or not, we took a bottle of wine and a picnic. She still talks about how brilliant it was and doing it again.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 am

HatfieldClaret wrote:Avoid the Eiffel Tower, go to the Sacre Ceour instead. About 3 feet shorter but no queues and much cheaper, then a stroll around Montmatre.

The Musee d'Orsay was amazing so spend an afternoon there instead of the Louvre.

Sit outside at a cafe on the main drag and you'll pay a fortune.

Don't tell them you voted Brexit or you'll get a Baldrick style cappuccino.
Thing is you cant go and NOT do it, surely...

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:Cfc - looks like restaurant has changed its name to 6 new york as in 6th area of city. 6 newyork.fr

It's class
Will be sure to try and check it out.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:45 am

You can also recreate the Hitler in front of the eiffel tower photograph as well.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:55 am

I've been to Paris many times. I've been quite disappointed by touristy areas and would avoid them for eating.
There are so many sites to visit, I like the architecture along the banks of the river and the 1st arrondisement , getting a taxi at night can be a real treat if they take those roads. I'll add my recommendation to the others who suggested MontMatre and the SacreCouer (the church at the top) and the Quay d'Orcay.
I enjoy walking around places like Paris, I liked the area around Notre Dame, Invalids, the Bastille and the area behind the Jardin des Plants which is all very "Amelie". The area around the stations are always the roughest in any French town or city. What I've found in the past is that the business hotels are often cheap on a Friday and Saturday night. The Metro doesn't run late into the night but Paris is actually quite small if you're staying intra-muros (in the center) you'll find plenty of restaurants and bars.

The old port is the "classic" place to visit in Marseille, if you stand at the land end of the port facing the sea there's a fantastic hausmanian street called the avenue of the republique on your right it leads to the Place de la Joliette and the old docks building beyond it which is a nice enough spot to have lunch but you're entering the real docks area and it's a bit rough. Plenty of scallies in the streets going inland from there and plenty of rats and dog mess. The other side of the docks has a big square with loads of restaurants, there are a few Irish bars (the second one along only has a license for just beer and wine so no whisky, a very French Irish bar). You may recognise it from the films of Russian hooligans twatting all and sundry during Euro 2016. Other than that it's a nice place.

Another area that is often visited is the Prado, that's where you'll find the Velodrome. Down at the end of that leads you to the beach and the statue of david. If you turn left when you get to the beach there are a few pubs and restaurants not too far along. If you go the other way you can follow the coast back to the old port (about 5 miles walk though). There are a few nice views along the way. The Chateau d'if is just off the coast there. That's the castle from the legend of the Comte de MonteCristo. You can get a boat out to it from the old port. You can also get a boat from the old port to visit the Callanques which are the rocky creaks along the coast heading towards Cassis which is another popular port and worth stopping at if you get the chance to have a meal there, not massive amounts to see there but it's a nice spot for lunch.

If you go to the area around the arc de triumph when the market is on you'll feel as if you've just arrived in the third world. It's an amazingly North African feel to the place with people spreading out sheets on the pavement and even on traffic islands selling all sorts of crap. If you want to take it even further you can visit the souk which is massive and slightly out of town and very very North African.

The old town of Marseille is called the Panier (basket) and it's a short walk from the port. It's not your typical chocolate box old town, it has a reputation for being a bit rough but it's a place that's often on the things to see list. The Palais Longchamps is another, an amazing looking fountain out the front. It's in a residential area which hasn't much else to offer although you might find a more "authentic" experience if you go looking for a restaurant in one of the squares nearby.

From Marseille you're about 35 minutes by bus away from Aix en Provence. Aix is one of the most beautiful cities in France. The old town is a real treat to visit. Well worth the day out. Probably a nicer place to stay if you're going to stay more than a day or two. On a Saturday I used to like sitting in a cafe opposite the Mairie (town hall), there's a wedding every 15 minutes and it's a fantastic place to people watch as they all come and go and there's usually a group busking in the shade of the plane trees on the square.

Montpellier is a nice city but there's not a massive amount to see, except me and Rowls :D You need to get public transport to the beach if you want to go there because the city isn't on the coast. You could probably see all the main sites in Montpellier in a day. If you're travelling by train you're probably better off going to Marseille, if you're travelling by car then there are loads of nice places to vist around Montpellier.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am

dibraidio wrote:I've been to Paris many times. I've been quite disappointed by touristy areas and would avoid them for eating.
There are so many sites to visit, I like the architecture along the banks of the river and the 1st arrondisement , getting a taxi at night can be a real treat if they take those roads. I'll add my recommendation to the others who suggested MontMatre and the SacreCouer (the church at the top) and the Quay d'Orcay.
I enjoy walking around places like Paris, I liked the area around Notre Dame, Invalids, the Bastille and the area behind the Jardin des Plants which is all very "Amelie". The area around the stations are always the roughest in any French town or city. What I've found in the past is that the business hotels are often cheap on a Friday and Saturday night. The Metro doesn't run late into the night but Paris is actually quite small if you're staying intra-muros (in the center) you'll find plenty of restaurants and bars.

The old port is the "classic" place to visit in Marseille, if you stand at the land end of the port facing the sea there's a fantastic hausmanian street called the avenue of the republique on your right it leads to the Place de la Joliette and the old docks building beyond it which is a nice enough spot to have lunch but you're entering the real docks area and it's a bit rough. Plenty of scallies in the streets going inland from there and plenty of rats and dog mess. The other side of the docks has a big square with loads of restaurants, there are a few Irish bars (the second one along only has a license for just beer and wine so no whisky, a very French Irish bar). You may recognise it from the films of Russian hooligans twatting all and sundry during Euro 2016. Other than that it's a nice place.

Another area that is often visited is the Prado, that's where you'll find the Velodrome. Down at the end of that leads you to the beach and the statue of david. If you turn left when you get to the beach there are a few pubs and restaurants not too far along. If you go the other way you can follow the coast back to the old port (about 5 miles walk though). There are a few nice views along the way. The Chateau d'if is just off the coast there. That's the castle from the legend of the Comte de MonteCristo. You can get a boat out to it from the old port. You can also get a boat from the old port to visit the Callanques which are the rocky creaks along the coast heading towards Cassis which is another popular port and worth stopping at if you get the chance to have a meal there, not massive amounts to see there but it's a nice spot for lunch.

If you go to the area around the arc de triumph when the market is on you'll feel as if you've just arrived in the third world. It's an amazingly North African feel to the place with people spreading out sheets on the pavement and even on traffic islands selling all sorts of crap. If you want to take it even further you can visit the souk which is massive and slightly out of town and very very North African.

The old town of Marseille is called the Panier (basket) and it's a short walk from the port. It's not your typical chocolate box old town, it has a reputation for being a bit rough but it's a place that's often on the things to see list. The Palais Longchamps is another, an amazing looking fountain out the front. It's in a residential area which hasn't much else to offer although you might find a more "authentic" experience if you go looking for a restaurant in one of the squares nearby.

From Marseille you're about 35 minutes by bus away from Aix en Provence. Aix is one of the most beautiful cities in France. The old town is a real treat to visit. Well worth the day out. Probably a nicer place to stay if you're going to stay more than a day or two. On a Saturday I used to like sitting in a cafe opposite the Mairie (town hall), there's a wedding every 15 minutes and it's a fantastic place to people watch as they all come and go and there's usually a group busking in the shade of the plane trees on the square.

Montpellier is a nice city but there's not a massive amount to see, except me and Rowls :D You need to get public transport to the beach if you want to go there because the city isn't on the coast. You could probably see all the main sites in Montpellier in a day. If you're travelling by train you're probably better off going to Marseille, if you're travelling by car then there are loads of nice places to vist around Montpellier.
Thanks thats really helpful. Paris sounds like Rome etc - very overrated and overpriced food in the main haunts. So usually like to stick to hidden gems.

Marseille - last time in that part of France was during the euros and was in that very square when the rioting was going on. Even before and after that the place had a rough edge to it (in a good way) and had a real strange atmosphere.

All the above is excellent though and really appreciated.

When we head to Marseille we are hoping for beaches. We will be there for a week. So if further out is recommended we are open to that. We dont HAVE To do Marseille. But like the idea of going back, Mrs has never been and we want the blend of a big city and beaches. We have done further north/east (Nice, Cannes, Monaco) together before and not Marseille.

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:32 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 am

If it be your will wrote:If that's so, then that's brilliant news. It means the authorities have finally done something. I haven't been for a few years, but over the years that approach got worse and worse. Gangs grabbing your wrists and swearing and surrounding you, generally trying to intimidate, unless you bought silly bits of string off them or something they tried to force on you. They didn't just do it to blokes either, they were doing it to young girls and kids, too. But great if they've sorted it out.
Not confined to Paris I am afraid. VEry common in Barcelona and even saw it in Thessaloniki :(

If it be your will

Post by If it be your will » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:44 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:59 am

the problem hasnt gone anywhere, sacre coeur is as bad as ever , the thieving **** stole a significant amount from acccy lads on a school trip. Intimidating kids . The bastards need a good sorting out but the french authorities are apathetic at best, disgraceful shower of thieves operate in that vicinity. ****.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Yep. Same in Barcelona. Someone even nicked my shoes :lol: True story

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:26 pm

It’s the same everywhere is that. In Nyc it’s mostly wanna be gangsta rappers trying to force some **** CD he’s made in his mums spare bedroom on you :lol:

Best thing to do is keep some **** in your bag and try sell it to them.

Dyched

Post by Dyched » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:30 pm

You can visit where Serge Gainsbourg lived also. I dont actually think its open to the public as yet but it’s covered in some fantastic street art if that’s your thing?

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:31 pm

its simple to solve, arrest the **** and send them down for five years, if these cities want tourists, then they are obligated to get rid of the dross

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thing is you cant go and NOT do it, surely...
What, can't go to the Louvre or tell them you voted Brexit.....

If you get the time the Palace at Versailles is definitely worth a visit, about half hour on the local train.

Notre Dame - Amazing

have a good 'un

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 pm

HatfieldClaret wrote:What, can't go to the Louvre or tell them you voted Brexit.....

If you get the time the Palace at Versailles is definitely worth a visit, about half hour on the local train.

Notre Dame - Amazing

have a good 'un
The tower

dibraidio

Post by dibraidio » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thanks thats really helpful. Paris sounds like Rome etc - very overrated and overpriced food in the main haunts. So usually like to stick to hidden gems.

Marseille - last time in that part of France was during the euros and was in that very square when the rioting was going on. Even before and after that the place had a rough edge to it (in a good way) and had a real strange atmosphere.

All the above is excellent though and really appreciated.

When we head to Marseille we are hoping for beaches. We will be there for a week. So if further out is recommended we are open to that. We dont HAVE To do Marseille. But like the idea of going back, Mrs has never been and we want the blend of a big city and beaches. We have done further north/east (Nice, Cannes, Monaco) together before and not Marseille.
There are beaches at the end of the prado, they're a bit rough though. From Marseille to La Ciotat there are a lot of rocks with some really nice little bays that can't be accessed by car. You either have to park up on the hills and walk for about half an hour down to the beach or get there by boat.

I don't know if you've considered this but there is a beautiful stretch of coast from Frejus back to Hyeres. It's a nice drive along a beautiful stretch of coast and you've got great beaches all the way along. You've also got some nice places to visit like Saint Tropez, Le Lavandou which is famous for over a dozen different beaches each with a different type of sand and then you have the very strange "venice" type village of Port Grimaud and some really nice perched hill side villages like Grimaud and Bormes les Mimosas. It's a really nice part of the world and less than an hour from Marseille. Definitely worth hiring a car for a day or two and checking it out.

Another place less than an hour from Marseille with great beaches is Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, it is in the Camargues, which is a totally different environment, it's all flamenco dancing and gypsy guitar music in the restaurants and you can go horse riding and see the flamingos in the lagoons.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:39 am

dibraidio wrote:There are beaches at the end of the prado, they're a bit rough though. From Marseille to La Ciotat there are a lot of rocks with some really nice little bays that can't be accessed by car. You either have to park up on the hills and walk for about half an hour down to the beach or get there by boat.

I don't know if you've considered this but there is a beautiful stretch of coast from Frejus back to Hyeres. It's a nice drive along a beautiful stretch of coast and you've got great beaches all the way along. You've also got some nice places to visit like Saint Tropez, Le Lavandou which is famous for over a dozen different beaches each with a different type of sand and then you have the very strange "venice" type village of Port Grimaud and some really nice perched hill side villages like Grimaud and Bormes les Mimosas. It's a really nice part of the world and less than an hour from Marseille. Definitely worth hiring a car for a day or two and checking it out.

Another place less than an hour from Marseille with great beaches is Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, it is in the Camargues, which is a totally different environment, it's all flamenco dancing and gypsy guitar music in the restaurants and you can go horse riding and see the flamingos in the lagoons.
Sounds perfect. Is hiring a car a must then? (Not a problem if so, just need to work out when and for how long to rent one). Want the trip to be as relaxing as possible.

dibraidio

Post by dibraidio » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:05 am

Like I said, you can do a boat trip along the coast and find beaches, You can do Aix by bus.
You can see most of the Marseille beaches on this link https://www.bugbog.com/gallery/marseill ... es-plages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saint Maries de la mer could be a day trip and the Frejus side could be a long day trip but you'd need a car for both.