Aberdeen, Turks, Greeks

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LongSider75
Been Liked: 46 times

Aberdeen, Turks, Greeks

Post by LongSider75 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:01 am

For all of you who haven't attended these games home and away. Please be reminded that you have no right to have an opinion on anything regarding the Europa League. We are obviously upset that the campaign has come to an end, but those of us who have bonded and become true European Clarets will always have an amazing friendship. WE HAVE BEEN ON A EUROPEAN TOUR. Thank you fellow clarets, an unbelievable journey.
These 2 users liked this post: ten bellies levraiclaret

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Re: Aberdeen, Turks, Greeks

Post by Vino blanco » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 am

We played well tonight against a poor team. I'm delighted we are out, so Manu on Sunday will be extremely difficult. After that, we have time to regroup, time to prepare for every PL game, and hopefully stay in the PL.

nonayclaret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 64 times

Post by nonayclaret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 am

Good for you, but you are wrong.

At the risk of stating the obvious...

Many great fans of the Mighty Clarets work for a living and cannot get time off work at the drop of a hat. Also, money is not plentyful to many fans and travel costs in tourist season were significantly high to Istanbul and Athens.

Myself and a fellow fan did manage Aberdeen by taking a day off work and then driving back through the night to be able to work on the Friday after getting home on a high at 0430h. That even included a 2.5 hour queue on the M6 on the way up.

I had a long-booked family holiday on the Athens away week, but I still managed to log into the wifi in a remote Lakes pub and watch the game on my mobile phone.

Does Longsider 75 reflect your age or the fact that you started watching the Clarets 15 years after me?

I am glad you enjoyed your European Tour but please spare a thought for many real fans - and I mean real fans, who for many valid reasons could not make the away matches, before posting such a condescending piece.
These 3 users liked this post: bfcmatt Foshiznik Wo Didi

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:24 am

I managed 3 out of 6 games, 2 at home, 1 away. Sad I couldn't have made more of the matches, but it wasn't to be. Fantastic memories, and all a bit surreal!

nonayclaret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 64 times

Post by nonayclaret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:28 am

I agree. Amazing. Four visits to Turf so far and only one the PL. Surreal is a good description.

Bones
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by Bones » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:34 am

Gutted it's over. Only missed Istanbul away and made the right decision by gambling on us going through because I wouldn't have been able to afford to go to Athens if I did. It's been very enjoyable. I were just getting the taste for it. :(

Craigyp01
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Craigyp01 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:54 am

What a bell end
These 6 users liked this post: ontario claret Bordeauxclaret BOYSIE31 Bcap1959 Foshiznik Wo Didi

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:50 am

Extremely disappointed it’s come to an end, it was all too short. “We can now concentrate on the league”, didn’t cut it for me as a young lad when we lost to Newcastle in the semi-final of the FA Cup and it still rings true this morning.

Being able to see my beloved Clarets in European competition was something I thought would never happen in my lifetime and I’m fairly certain it won’t happen again. Being able to take my lad to Athens to watch a game with all its history, vibrancy and passion for football is something I will treasure. It was a fantastic trip which will live long in the memory.

As I mentioned on another thread we had quite a time traveling to the stadium, which in a way added to the whole experience. All summed up by my lad’s response when we got home and he was questioned as to whether he had had a good time, “best 3 days of my life”.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets depechedingle levraiclaret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:12 am

I'm truly gutted about going out.

I went from Athens being the best away trip I have been to with a great football atmosphere to Fulham in the overhyped premier league that had the atmosphere of a tennis match.

If I bump into anyone who says the premier league is more important this morning they may just get a swift kick in the knackers.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Pimlico_Claret depechedingle Wo Didi

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:23 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:If I bump into anyone who says the premier league is more important this morning they may just get a swift kick in the knackers.
Totally agree. Even if we get relegated we'll play the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. soon enough.

But most likely, we'll never get a chance to play in Europe for decades at least.

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:35 am

I count myself extremely fortunate to have seen all bar the Aberdeen away game ( and that was purely down to not being able to get tickets). So yes it has been an amazing experience but I do spare thought for those not able to make it to these games due to financial constraints or work/other commitments. They must be gutted to have missed out.
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:43 am

The Hung Juror wrote:Extremely disappointed it’s come to an end, it was all too short. “We can now concentrate on the league”, didn’t cut it for me as a young lad when we lost to Newcastle in the semi-final of the FA Cup and it still rings true this morning.

Being able to see my beloved Clarets in European competition was something I thought would never happen in my lifetime and I’m fairly certain it won’t happen again. Being able to take my lad to Athens to watch a game with all its history, vibrancy and passion for football is something I will treasure. It was a fantastic trip which will live long in the memory.

As I mentioned on another thread we had quite a time traveling to the stadium, which in a way added to the whole experience. All summed up by my lad’s response when we got home and he was questioned as to whether he had had a good time, “best 3 days of my life”.
exactly how I feel. And exactly how my two nephews felt about their adventures :-(

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 am

I didn't attend a single game but no one can take away the times I spent surfing the internet looking for a stream. I'll never forget the thrill of subscribing to Aberdeen TV, only to find out it was free on YouTube. Who could forget watching countless Turkish advertisements before the Instanbul game, what weird and wonderful television was shown to me that night. How about the Olympiacos away game? Frantically trying to find a decent stream, missing the first twenty minutes, anxiety, frustration and then relief as I uncovered a gem of a stream with the comforting sounds of a familiar English commentator soothing my battered follicles. Memories that will last me a lifetime.
These 3 users liked this post: joey13 Bcap1959 Foshiznik

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 424 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 am

I got to all six. My bank balance is happy we're out but I wish we were getting another six. We'll just have to win the cup this year!
This user liked this post: levraiclaret

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:10 am

After starting to watch the Clarets in 1976, I have witnessed our great club on its knees and this year to my disbelief in Europe. I only missed the Athens trip due to financial constraints but attended all the other matches, Istanbul was a great experience and one I will remember with fondness. Great Times to be a Claret and I don't buy this it won't happen again for the next 50 years, I thought that about the Premiership the first time we got promoted and look at us now in our 5th season of Premiership football. Bring on the next European adventure. UTC

Bcap1959
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 494 times

Post by Bcap1959 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 am

Don’t normally post on here but what a stupid childish elitist post. I’ve supported Burnley since 1959 probably before the person posting this was born. And watched previous excursions in Europe in the early sixties on a black and white telly. The reality is that many of us can’t afford to travel , some of us are unwell and for some not practical. Our support and comments are not conditional on travelling to overseas games. So grow up.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 am

I went to one against the Turks at home I found it all rather dull ;)

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:52 am

The European adventure was everything I had imagined it with passion flare culture and most importantly Being their. I was sat in a bar in Athens when half a dozen friends walk in who I had not seen in sometime I can honestly say it was the best two weeks wages I have ever spent
I am so glad I experienced that European encounter supporting my club that i have followed through to hell and back at times.
Living this part of the clubs history felt like the Club had give me something back for all them hours i spent watching us get walloped on some of them grounds in the dark days.
This all experience was a million miles away from being stood on a terracing with no cover getting battered from the wind blowing off the North sea watching our goal keeper taking the ball out of the net two or three times
No this all charade as been like a breath of fresh air and so two that everyone I know who committed to it.
My time away watching the us play on foreign soil in Europe I will take them memories to the grave.
Anyone that wanted us to go out of this prestigious competition I can only think are jealous
and envious that they couldn't be involved for what ever reason.
I am so glad I did and wanted more of it being in Europe got me addicted and I thank Sean Dyche and the all the players and staff for making this possible UTC.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets depechedingle Hibsclaret

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:54 am

Athens was rather fun. Last night had a bit of an end of era feel about it. Hope I’m wrong. UTC

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:05 pm

I couldn't make any of them either. I watched the first leg of Aberdeen by paying the £5.99 monthly fee for Aberdeen TV. I then watched the second leg with my phone on my knee watching the game through the entirety of a 3 course meal in Dublin for a friend's birthday. I'm sorry that I cannot afford the travel costs of a 500 mile round trip for home games and the even more costly travel to European away games. Some of us live on a budget that doesn't allow us to make the Clarets the number 1 priority when living pay day to pay day.

I will therefore be giving my opinion on any game I watch on TV or in the stands and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop me or anyone else for that manner, so pull your egotistical head out of your rectum and do one.

Thank you please.
These 2 users liked this post: Bcap1959 Wo Didi

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:14 pm

It was all Jocks and Turks but no Greeks for me....

Wouldn’t have missed Istanbul and I can now say that I’ve seen us play away in Europe and not seen us lose....and I’ll never forget the Turkish coach drivers racing and then nearly scrapping in the middle of nowhere...mental

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Bcap1959 wrote:Don’t normally post on here but what a stupid childish elitist post. I’ve supported Burnley since 1959 probably before the person posting this was born. And watched previous excursions in Europe in the early sixties on a black and white telly. The reality is that many of us can’t afford to travel , some of us are unwell and for some not practical. Our support and comments are not conditional on travelling to overseas games. So grow up.
I'm hoping it was said tongue in cheek , but still a very silly comment to make , he's a very silly boy but I wish him all the best with his GCSE results next year

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6419 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:40 pm

It’ll be nice when we qualify directly for the group stages this season UTC

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4045 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:45 pm

I've the right to say what the fcuk I want.

Saw my first game in 1962.
Where the f**k were you? Not born?

That's no excuse.

Yes, I know you're fishing.
Just thought id have a rant. :mrgreen:

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by claret wizard » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:...and I’ll never forget the Turkish coach drivers racing and then nearly scrapping in the middle of nowhere...mental
Must have been sat close to you as their fighting was right by my window on the coach.

Only Jocks and Turks for me as well. Managed 5 apart from Athens away because I was working in the States. I was still seeing if it was possible to do SFO to ATH for the game, plane landed 2125 local time :-(

As for not in our lifetime again, I think we’ve a cup in us in the next few years. We do disproportionately well against the big clubs, we just need to get to a point where we play them in the semis or final.

I think the OP has his tongue firmly in his cheek, or maybe just looking at those avoiding our home legs.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:25 pm

Couldn't make the Istanbul or Athens game, but made the other 4. I've watched us since the Ternent days, so if I wish to comment, I will.
This user liked this post: Bcap1959

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Spijed wrote:Totally agree. Even if we get relegated we'll play the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. soon enough.

But most likely, we'll never get a chance to play in Europe for decades at least.
It won't be decades I'm sure... We got knocked out by a dodgy result in Greece. Judging by last nights performance the lads want some more :D