To those happy drop out of The Europa

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

To those happy drop out of The Europa

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:43 am

What is your ambition now for this season? And beyond?

What is it about the premier league and finishing in a position where we will never win anything and our best hope is to finish in a position to get in Europe only to want to be knocked out when we get there that excites you?

What are you most excited about this season? Do you want us to compete in The League and FA Cups?

This isn't a dig at anyone. Just intrigued to understand the psychology behind it.

What has been your best moment watching the clarets?
These 6 users liked this post: ecc Foshiznik nyclaret CrosspoolClarets Wo Didi BleedingClaret

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Re: To those happy drop out of The Europa

Post by gawthorpe_view » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:51 am

I want us to be competitive in the Premier League.
It's the place to be.
FA Cup run would be nice.
League Cup is essentially a reserve League Cup till the semi-finals.
Best moment recently was Robbie's goal against ManU in '09.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:55 am

Ambition for this season...

(1) Maintain Premier League status- thereby allowing us to improve the club in whatever way is necessary; e.g. developing playing squad and style, ground improvements, scouting network, increasing commercial opportunities and so on.
(2) Good run in the cups.

Truthfully I’ll accept 17th spot if it means that we continue to develop and establish ourselves as a legitimate “big” club in English football. I’ll want more but I’d take that...

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:56 am

I struggle to understand how any real Burnley fan wanted us to drop out of Europe, I'm gutted we didn't qualify for the tournament, back to boring Thursdays.
These 4 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 Claret-On-A-T-Rex Wo Didi Woodleyclaret

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:57 am

gawthorpe_view wrote:I want us to be competitive in the Premier League.
It's the place to be.
FA Cup run would be nice.
League Cup is essentially a reserve League Cup till the semi-finals.
Best moment recently was Robbie's goal against ManU in '09.
So finish between 8th and 17th in the Premier League then?
FA Cup semi-final maybe (wouldn't want to win it and get into Europe)? Or maybe get to the final as long as we could guarantee losing!

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:57 am

I never understood those who wanted out of the Europa League so we could play it safe in the Premier League. It was fabulous seeing the European teams and players.
These 5 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 tiger76 ten bellies levraiclaret Wo Didi

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8741 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 am

We should be marching on, by right, in Europe.

We worked so hard to get here. Ludicrous to throw the opportunity away.
These 6 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret Foshiznik longside72 tybfc CrosspoolClarets Wo Didi

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 am

BurnleyPaul wrote:Ambition for this season...

(1) Maintain Premier League status- thereby allowing us to improve the club in whatever way is necessary; e.g. developing playing squad and style, ground improvements, scouting network, increasing commercial opportunities and so on.
(2) Good run in the cups.

Truthfully I’ll accept 17th spot if it means that we continue to develop and establish ourselves as a legitimate “big” club in English football. I’ll want more but I’d take that...
Yeah, winning stuff is for losers!

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:00 am

The chance of a lifetime blown because of the limitations of the Board
Dyche will be gone next season if we stay up

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 am

I notice how the OP has put it across in a way that's asking for opinions, yet at the same time saying, "And it doesn't matter what you reply with - you're not a real fan if you don't want the same thing I do". It comes across as a dig - not a genuine interest.
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick Funkydrummer bobinho

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:02 am

martin_p wrote:So finish between 8th and 17th in the Premier League then?
FA Cup semi-final maybe (wouldn't want to win it and get into Europe)? Or maybe get to the final as long as we could guarantee losing!
4th place would do me, Champion's League qualifiers next summer.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:06 am

gawthorpe_view wrote:4th place would do me, Champion's League qualifiers next summer.
As long as we get knocked out immediately presumably. Wouldn't want to risk losing our Premier League status.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:06 am

I doubt anyone is happy about it.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 am

I very much doubt that any Claret is `happy` to be out of Europe. Can anyone honestly say they wouldn`t have been jumping up and down in sheer delight had we drawn a Lazio or an AC Milan, for example? The stuff of dreams! I think there were a sizable amount of supporters who feared our squad size and injuries to key players, allied to the Thursday/Sunday fixtures, was and would damage our Premier League performances. I would say it was having a detrimental effect on our early season form with the team seemingly nowhere near last season`s level of performance, fluidity and fitness (the latter possibly not the case).

Dyche`s teams do seem to do better with a routine so let`s see how in goes from here on in.

I would dearly like us to reach the quarter-finals in either of the domestic cup competitions (Watford away way back when in the FA Cup still hurts!) and would be pleased with a comfortable mid-table finish in the Premier League.

My greatest moment watching Burnley will always be, I suspect, York City away when I was 19. A special, SPECIAL night.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1037 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:10 am

KRBFC wrote:I struggle to understand how any real Burnley fan wanted us to drop out of Europe, I'm gutted we didn't qualify for the tournament, back to boring Thursdays.
I couldn't agree more. Last season was a one off,so the chances are we are not going to see European football again at the Turf.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:10 am

martin_p wrote:So finish between 8th and 17th in the Premier League then?
No more FA cup semi final defeats please I still haven’t got over the last one .
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:11 am

FactualFrank wrote:I notice how the OP has put it across in a way that's asking for opinions, yet at the same time saying, "And it doesn't matter what you reply with - you're not a real fan if you don't want the same thing I do". It comes across as a dig - not a genuine interest.
:lol: OK then.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote::lol: OK then.
"What is it about the premier league and finishing in a position where we will never win anything"
"and our best hope is to finish in a position to get in Europe only to want to be knocked out when we get there that excites you?"

That's a dig and you know it.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am

I’m ambivalent about it(leaving the Europa). It would’ve been very nice to progress, but we didn’t have a snowball in Hell’s chance of winning it, and when it comes to hey lads, hey, the Premier League, and our continued presence in it, is the bread and butter of the Club. Staying in it, which is in no way guaranteed now we don’t have the burden of extra games in Europe, will give us more chance of Silverware(FA Cup, League Cup) in the medium term future. Though, again, there is no guarantee of that.
Our little European Run was a treat, but I can’t help but think that it probably came a few years to early for us to consider it an equal priority to staying in the Top Flight.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:15 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I’m ambivalent about it(leaving the Europa). It would’ve been very nice to progress, but we didn’t have a snowball in Hell’s chance of winning it, and when it comes to hey lads, hey, the Premier League, and our continued presence in it, is the bread and butter of the Club. Staying in it, which is in no way guaranteed now we don’t have the burden of extra games in Europe, will give us more chance of Silverware(FA Cup, League Cup) in the medium term future. Though, again, there is no guarantee of that.
Our little European Run was a treat, but I can’t help but think that it probably came a few years to early for us to consider it an equal priority to staying in the Top Flight.
We haven’t got a snowballs chance in Hell of winning the Premier League might as well give up then.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:20 am

joey13 wrote:We haven’t got a snowballs chance in Hell of winning the Premier League might as well give up then.
What could happen is we cement our status in the Premier League for a few more seasons, by slowly improving the squad every season, which then generates investment and helps us grow even more. Then, in a few seasons we're in Europe, but with a deeper squad to cope with the demands. Nobody would have thought Leicester would win the title, or Man City would when they were in the 3rd tier. But the goal of any club has to eventually be to win the Premier League. It doesn't matter what division you're in.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am

FactualFrank wrote:What could happen is we cement our status in the Premier League for a few more seasons, by slowly improving the squad every season, which then generates investment and helps us grow even more. Then, in a few seasons we're in Europe, but with a deeper squad to cope with the demands. Nobody would have thought Leicester would win the title, or Man City would when they were in the 3rd tier. But the goal of any club has to eventually be to win the Premier League. It doesn't matter what division you're in.
I was being sarcastic

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:22 am

When the game started last night, there was only one result I wanted and that was a burnley win. The reason I was perhaps less excited than some in general about it, is because I didn't think we had the squad to compete in both and the priority is always the premier league. I wouldn't say I was adamant we should be out of Europe, but I'd have been a lot more enthusiastic about the competition if Dyche had got in the players we needed. And I have to say, after a great performance and an initial feeling of disappointment there is some relief! I understand what you mean about the futility of the premier league, but The Europa is hardly a competition we could feasibly win, either.

The idea that we get a chance to beat the very best is exciting, taking on Man City, Man United etc. I want to stay in the premier league and carry on progressing as a team, and this year I'd say that doesn't mean coming 6th but a stable mid-table finish. Staying here longer increases our chances of getting better players on the pitch, I want more (non-injured) Defours in Burnley shirts and for SD to carry on evolving the side. A cup run this year would be great too of course.

Best moment is tough, maybe Wembley against Stockport when parkie's goal somehow dribbled in.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:23 am

HiroshimaClaret wrote:I very much doubt that any Claret is `happy` to be out of Europe. Can anyone honestly say they wouldn`t have been jumping up and down in sheer delight had we drawn a Lazio or an AC Milan, for example? The stuff of dreams! I think there were a sizable amount of supporters who feared our squad size and injuries to key players, allied to the Thursday/Sunday fixtures, was and would damage our Premier League performances. I would say it was having a detrimental effect on our early season form with the team seemingly nowhere near last season`s level of performance, fluidity and fitness (the latter possibly not the case).

Dyche`s teams do seem to do better with a routine so let`s see how in goes from here on in.

I would dearly like us to reach the quarter-finals in either of the domestic cup competitions (Watford away way back when in the FA Cup still hurts!) and would be pleased with a comfortable mid-table finish in the Premier League.

My greatest moment watching Burnley will always be, I suspect, York City away when I was 19. A special, SPECIAL night.
I'm still gutted this morning that there will probably not be any more European football in my lifetime, I was lucky enough to be able to make Aberdeen and Athens away and loved the experience, it felt different. However, I said to a mate that nothing has ever beaten York away, I was 21 btw.
Last edited by Pimlico_Claret on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: HiroshimaClaret

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:23 am

Tall Paul wrote:I doubt anyone is happy about it.
you'd think so but...
Vino blanco wrote:I'm delighted we are out
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:25 am

Absolutely gutted, feels like a big opportunity wasted. I was lucky enough to make it to the 3 away trips, pity it couldn't have been 3 more. made some fantastic memories over the last 6 weeks.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am

joey13 wrote:I was being sarcastic
I wasn't replying against you, I was just using it to start my post.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: joey13

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:27 am

quoonbeatz wrote:you'd think so but...
Oh. There's always one I suppose.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:32 am

willsclarets wrote:The idea that we get a chance to beat the very best is exciting, taking on Man City, Man United etc. I want to stay in the premier league and carry on progressing as a team, and this year I'd say that doesn't mean coming 6th but a stable mid-table finish. Staying here longer increases our chances of getting better players on the pitch, I want more (non-injured) Defours in Burnley shirts and for SD to carry on evolving the side. A cup run this year would be great too of course.
Pretty much my take on it, too.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 am

FactualFrank wrote:"What is it about the premier league and finishing in a position where we will never win anything"
"and our best hope is to finish in a position to get in Europe only to want to be knocked out when we get there that excites you?"

That's a dig and you know it.

:lol: OK then

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 am

willsclarets wrote:The Europa is hardly a competition we could feasibly win, either.
we aren't in any competitions that we could feasibly win. we've as much chance in the europa league as anything else.

apart from the current 'big 6' only 3 other teams have won the top flight, 3 have won the fa cup and 9 have won the league cup since 1990.

Claret Kitch
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Claret Kitch » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:42 am

I am not happy to drop out of the cup, but totally accept it. Another 3 or 4 seasons in the top flight, then I expect us to push on to the next level. To be playing European football at this stage of our building program is nothing short of staggering.
Athens last week was probably one of the best feelings I have had watching the Mighty Clarets.
I'm still going to carry on this season with a massive smile on my face. UTC!

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 554 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:44 am

I agree we've got practically no chance of winning the Europa league, for one thing it would take another 15 games to be played, with potentially over half of them being overseas.

The League Cup is a much more realistic prospect, beat Burton (which we should), then it's four more wins and we're done.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 am

I'm that depressed about missing out on more trips I'm looking into to going to Barbados to watch England in late January. Probably the only thing that can come close, a week in the sunshine on the ale with the Barmy army.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:49 am

And can anyone say that in five years time playing the so called big six will hold the same excitement?

Will playing Man U at home be as exciting as it was when we beat them in 2009?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 am

Spijed wrote:And can anyone say that in five years time playing the so called big six will hold the same excitement?
I'll hopefully be able to let you know in 5 years.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:58 am

I'm absolutely gutted to be out, probably even more so when I see the draw later and the away trips We've missed out on. I think deep down we all know we're never going to see it again. It's even more galling that our pathetic efforts in the transfer market over the summer have probably condemned us to an early exit.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:58 am

Travelling to places like Istanbul, Athens (And even Aberdeen as it was new) build memories you will keep forever. Literally big life moments.

Imagine we could have added to it with Marseille, Milan and Rome. Gutting :-(

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:58 am

Frank no offence but I don't think you go to games do you?
You miss out on the build up in the pubs before and post match celebrations.

If I didn't go I would concentrate on the premier league too as it gives me more chance of watching a free stream or TV coverage.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 am

I have been astounded at how many of our fans bought into the media driven belief that you can’t fit 6 extra games in between now and Christmas (nearly 4 months), on top of what we’ve played.

We play an average of 1.02 games per week in a season (knocked out at the first stage of domestic cups), and 1.33 games per week on average if we got to the group stages of the Europa. So that’s 1 and a third games per week if our first 11 play every single game without rotating the squad.

The reality is that most of our players would play 35-40 games, so 1 game per week on average. Players are fitter than ever before, and if they’re not playing they’re training hard.

Why do people allow themselves to be brain washed?

Personally I really wanted to reach the group stages, but disagree with KRBFC above. We qualified for the competition through league placing last season. The qualifying rounds are to reach the main stage of the competition. UEFA only changed the format to allow themselves greater control over TV revenue.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:08 am

joey13 wrote:The chance of a lifetime blown because of the limitations of the Board
Dyche will be gone next season if we stay up
Or maybe because of the limitations of our manager in identifying needed improvements to the squad

I add that because of the scenario of this last transfer window

For the sake of a couple of extra signings ie striker and wide man (which we needed whether Brady/Defour were injured or not) we could have been in the group stages of this comp, with a reasonable increase in income that the group stages would have generated paying for a sizeable sum of that additional transfer outlay

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:10 am

Spijed wrote:And can anyone say that in five years time playing the so called big six will hold the same excitement?

its already not as exciting as that was.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:14 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Travelling to places like Istanbul, Athens (And even Aberdeen as it was new) build memories you will keep forever. Literally big life moments.

Imagine we could have added to it with Marseille, Milan and Rome. Gutting :-(
Some of us didn't get that opportunity, unable to get time off work at such short notice for the away games but the group stages would have been the perfect platform to plan ahead and at least see my team once on the road in Europe.
Last edited by Goody1975 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets BleedingClaret

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:14 am

quoonbeatz wrote:its already not as exciting as that was.
If it wasn't for the chance of getting 6th spot I also doubt we'd have shifted as many tickets as we did for Arsenal.

In a few seasons time we'll be lucky to sell over a 1000 for a place like the Emirates. It will have gone a bit stale if it hasn't already.

To me, the Emirates, amongst others is just another PL ground.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Frank no offence but I don't think you go to games do you?
You miss out on the build up in the pubs before and post match celebrations.

If I didn't go I would concentrate on the premier league too as it gives me more chance of watching a free stream or TV coverage.
I go to an average of 5 home league games a season. So around 1 in 4. Not many, I know, but I know all about the build up and post match celebrations.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 am

IanMcL wrote:We should be marching on, by right, in Europe.

We worked so hard to get here. Ludicrous to throw the opportunity away.
We worked harder and longer to get into the Premier league.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:29 am

joey13 wrote:We haven’t got a snowballs chance in Hell of winning the Premier League might as well give up then.
In fairness, could have been clearer; I meant we had no chance of winning it this time around. Even if we had qualified last night.
Also, to compare the Europa League with the a Premier League is disingenuous. With the Prem, a top 17 finish will guarantee you a place in next year’s competition. The Europa, for a team like ours, is really a rare occurrence.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:30 am

Grumps wrote:We worked harder and longer to get into the Premier league.
We all thought the one season under Coyle/Laws was it but we returned soon enough under SD.

To get in the Prem you simply compete with other Championship clubs and Cardiff/Huddersfield etc. have shown, like us, that you don't need much money to get promoted.

To get into Europe is a whole different ball game. You are now competing with clubs who spend far more.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:38 am

[quote="Claretforever"]I have been astounded at how many of our fans bought into the media driven belief that you can’t fit 6 extra games in between now and Christmas (nearly 4 months), on top of what we’ve played.

We play an average of 1.02 games per week in a season (knocked out at the first stage of domestic cups), and 1.33 games per week on average if we got to the group stages of the Europa. So that’s 1 and a third games per week if our first 11 play every single game without rotating the squad.

The reality is that most of our players would play 35-40 games, so 1 game per week on average. Players are fitter than ever before, and if they’re not playing they’re training hard.

Why do people allow themselves to be brain washed?

Personally I really wanted to reach the group stages, but disagree with KRBFC above. We qualified for the competition through league placing last season. The qualifying rounds are to reach the main stage of the competition. UEFA only changed the format to allow themselves greater control over TV revenue.[/quo te]

Or simply have an opinion of their own based on the evidence of the season so far?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:47 am

Claret Kitch wrote:I am not happy to drop out of the cup, but totally accept it. Another 3 or 4 seasons in the top flight, then I expect us to push on to the next level. To be playing European football at this stage of our building program is nothing short of staggering.
Athens last week was probably one of the best feelings I have had watching the Mighty Clarets.
I'm still going to carry on this season with a massive smile on my face. UTC!
Trouble is, the gulf between where we’ve got to and the ‘next level’ is enormous. There’s a very good chance that, in terms of league position, we’ve peaked. That’s why making the most of our European adventure was important.
This user liked this post: quoonbeatz