Burnley v Manchester United - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Re: Burnley v Manchester United - Player Ratings

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Hart 7-Thought he grew into the game albeit once any chance of a comeback had effectively gone.
Bardsley 6-Offensively Lowton is better. Poor link play with Lennon
Tarkowski 7-Needs a confident partner along side him and at present it's not Mee.
Mee 4-Embarrasing the way Lakaku tore him apart.
Taylor 7-Thought he did well and one of our better players
Lennon 3 A luxury we cannot afford at the moment.
Westwood 5-Great energy but very little end product
Cork 5-Same as Westwood.
McNeil 7-I think this lad could be a star in the making. Wasn't overawed
Hendrick 5-Normal service has been resumed. That said I was surprised when he was subbed. He wasn't the worst by any stretch of imagination.
Wood 4-I know he didn't get any service but for me he's not up the PL standards.

Vokes 6-Should have started instead of Woods for me.
Vydra 6-Couldn't understand why it was left so late before he got his chance.

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Hart 7 Thought he should have come for the first goal as it was headed in from what seemed like inside the 6 yard box. Otherwise very good.
Bardsley 6 poor distribution, otherwise solid
Mee 4 awful game. In fairness was up against a monster on top of his game. Lucky not to be sent off.
Tarks 7 Did very little wrong
Taylor 6 ok, not much point crossing when we have one man in the box though but not his fault.
Westwood 5 Anonymous
Cork 6 ok
Hendrick 6 ok. Don't know why Dyche keeps taking him off and leaving Westwood on when we need goals. Strange decision as he has been decent lately and at least offers something going forward.
Lennon 5 Not doing enough offensively for me
McNeil 6 ok
Wood 5 ok start but then started to get bullied and got frustrated

Vokes 6

Not sure why we started with 5 in midfield when it is clearly not working without the craft of Defour. We have zero idea how to break teams down. We are so slow and ponderous in our build up, very predictable and easy to defend against. All we seemed to do today was try to get it to Taylor to knock crosses into the box for 1 or 0 players. After Thursday its clear to me we need to start with 2 up top. Wood just is not capable on his own and Hendrick for all his decent play this season is no number 10. Need to start playing to our strengths. No idea why Lowton was dropped. Bardsleys distribution is atrocious. Some strange decisions from Dyche today. Need to turn it around quickly, we look like relegation fodder at the moment. Can't score goals and leaking too many bad ones.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:15 pm

Hart 8 excellent
Bardsley 5 nowhere near as good as Lowton. Get the ball in the box ffs
Mee 5 outclassed by an 80m player
Tarkowski 7 nice and composed
Taylor 5 nowhere near as good as Ward. What is he doing for the 2nd goal. Thought he’d been shot
Lennon 5 very poor
McNeil 7 very good
Cork 6
Hendrick 6
Westwood 7
Wood 7. Looked lively and was fouled all day

Vokes 6

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by maidenover » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 5
Tarkowski 6
Mee 3
Taylor 4
Lennon 4
Westwood 4
Cork 5
McNeil 6
Hendrick 6
Wood 5

Vokes 6

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Hart 8

Bardsley 7
Mee 6
Tarkowski 6
Taylor 7

Lennon 5
Westwood 6
Cork 5
McNeill 7

Hendrick 7

Wood 5

Vokes 7
Barnes 5

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1641 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Hart 9 - outstanding and at times better than anything we have had before. Has now saved penalties from Messi, Ibrahimovich and Pogba.
Bardsley 5 - unclear why he was playing. Solid but limited offensively and distributed poorly.
Taylor 7 - very good going forward and OK at the back too
Tarkowski 9 - would improve United. Our best player.
Mee 5 - struggled badly once again, Gibson’s promotion may be close on this evidence
Westwood 5 - looked a bit weary, I would have gone Cork and Hendrick in a two
Cork 7 - solid but up against three giants
Lennon 6 - lively and offered glimpses
McNeil 5 - a few good crosses but generally at this very high level didn’t know what options to take, that’s no criticism
Hendrick 5 - very little chance against Matic and Fellaini
Wood 5 - even less chance when surrounded by four giants with zero support

Vokes 6 - made a difference
Vydra 6 - also made a difference
Barnes 5 - less effective

I thought we were OK first half and at times I don’t think fans and pundits acknowledge how good the opposition are. United were brilliant. Rock solid in defence and superb in attack. Sanchez was close to his best, Lukaku was unplayable, even the circus clown Pogba had some really good moments.

So today isn’t a day to criticise Dyche who was up against the self appointed world’s best manager, so I only have minor observations. I found it a bit odd why he claimed tiredness was a factor but chose not to bring back our two best fullbacks after resting them midweek. I also think it was an error to play Wood up front on his own, he was isolated and we don’t have enough creativity with this lineup. Saying that though, he was on a hiding to nothing today, United were that good.

The record continues - 8 matches now since we won in the Premier League after resting players the game before (after Bristol City in the FA Cup). Doesn’t bode well for the game after Burton.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Hart 8 (MoM) - would have been 6 or 7 without him and made some great saves. His weakness is that he does not come off his line much and when he does he needs to do better than the powder puff attempt at a punch he made today in the second half.
Bardsley 4 - i`d like to see the statistics of how many times we have won (or even drawn) when he plays. He offers us so little going forward. He can neither pass or cross a ball with any kind of the quality that a team playing one up front requires.
Tarkowski 6 - thought he played well. Maybe he could have helped out Mee more or picked up Lukaku but that may have been Lukaku being clever and targeting Mee.
Mee 3 - sorry Ben but you had a shocker.
Taylor 3 - worryingly poor. He had a lot of the ball today and was so technically poor. His decision making was also really bad. Tried to run the full back when he should have put the ball in and when he did try and put the ball in I cannot remember one decent cross. Either got blocked or straight into keepers hands.
Lennon 3 - shocking game. No confidence and as one of our more senior players he chickened out of playing the ball in so many times deciding instead to pass it back to the equally useless Bardsley. His one trick of going on the outside of his full back did not work once today but yet he persisted it in trying the same thing. The incident at the end when the fat Gary Barlow lookalike brought him down also showed that he has lost a lot of his pace. He had yards on Barlow who should not have got near him with his rugby tackle.
Westwood 6 - I think he has been playing very well. Technically very good player and did what he could today against the 6 ft 5 inch freaks.
Cork 6 - again think he did ok
McNeil 7 - lots of things did not come off for him today but he still looked our most dangerous crosser of the ball. Very positive first 2 games from him and hope our stuttering start does not make him lose his confidence to try the type of things that a winger with his obvious natural ability should be trying.
Hendrick 7 - cannot understand why he got hooked at all. The one criticism from both Thursday and today is that he needs to shoot more when he gets a chance....we have been trying to walk the ball in the net or thread it through impossible gaps a little too much.
Wood 4 - he's out of form this season. I know he is isolated on his own but he is not the player I saw bullying Liverpool defenders at Anfield and winning everything. We either need to play someone up front with him and give him a chance to find his form or give him a rest.

Vokes 6 - did ok but missed another header he would normally bury.
Barnes 5 - not on long enough to get into the game. Should have been brought on much earlier (should have actually started and made Lindeloff his rag doll)
Vydra 5 - not on long enough.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Hart 9*
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 5
Taylor 6
McNeill 7
Westwood 6
Cork 6
Hendrick 6
Lennon 6
Wood 5

Vokes 7
Barnes 6

Didn’t think it was as bad as all that. If you go back to the same match two seasons ago when United beat us 2-0 with a carbon copy display (two first half goals). I’d wager it was a very similar reaction. Classic Mourinho stifling performance - I’d imagine if Dyche had the resources at his disposal you’d see a similar style of football.
Fellaini man-marked Barnes that day and completely nullified him. He was their main man again and their tactics and shape were identical.
Felt they’re first goal was actually again the run of play when we’d recovered from a poor start.
All the press obsession re: United, as ever, is overplayed. Brighton caught them cold but a fortnight ago but Mourinho’s record against lower ranking sides in the Prem is phenomenal.
Ben Mee’s getting rockets for being overpowered by a £75m striker, who is also deceptively quick.
I agree there’s sorting out to do though, I think there was an element of matching them up with a 4-3-3 with Lennon and McNeil flanking Wood, but it didn’t work, there was no support from attacking midfield.
Would have loved to see Vokes and Vydra from the start of the second half - I think that could be an interesting g partnership given how well Vokes and Ings used to play together. And in the few glimpses of Vydra I’ve seen his movement looks good.
Edit: Crosspool, we appear to have watched the same game ;)

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:03 pm

Hart 7
Bardsley 7
Tarkowski 7
Mee 6
Taylor 7
Lennon 6
Westwood 6
Cork 6
McNeil 7
Hendrick 7
Wood 5

Vokes 7
Barnes 6
Vydra 6

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Hart 7 (doesn't seem altogether in tune with his back 4)
Bardsley 7
Tarks 7
Mee 5 (as already said, he couldn't cope with Lukaku today, but in the past he's coped very well with better strikers so something ain't right imo)
Taylor 7
Westwood 7
Cork 7
Lennon 5 (flatters to deceive and I'm constantly disappointed. Everton let him go for a reason)
McNeil 8 (busy, tried his damnedest to get something happening and shows a lot of confidence. A bright spot Thursday and today)
Hendrick 7 (unlucky to be taken off)
Wood 5 (wooden! yes,isolated, yes devoid of service and support, BUT still can't anticipate, control, or hold up a pass and should be nowhere near the starting XI right now)

Subs - Vokes 6 (had our ONE real chance and headed over - AGAIN!
Barnes 6
Vydra 6

SD 4 - wrong team selection, wrong tactics and wrong subs.

Pretty much a training ground exercise for Man U and we're so out of sorts and so far away from the standards we've set for ourselves over the past 3/4 years that I'm becoming despondent. SD is partly to blame for today as picking Wood to play alone up front (and at home!) meant probably the easiest afternoon the United defence will have all season and he compounded it with weird substitutions at weird times. IMO Barnes HAS to start these games as these expensive "fancy dan" PL defenders absolutely hate him! Vokes and Barnes together from the start MIGHT have got us some steam up, but as it was we were pretty much pants and made, to my memory, ONE genuine chance all game when Vokes headed over late on. Disjointed, disorganised, lacking in confidence and hopelessly short on quality. Other than that we're ok!!!
Last edited by Dark Cloud on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:15 pm

players 8
Dyche 1

No point sending a any team out when the manager hasn't got a clue how to set them up. He's been found out

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Hart - 9 cricket score without him. The two one on one saves from lukaku in either half and the penalty save were top drawer.

Bardsley - 5 funny seeing him draw in Rashford for the red card, not often we've had a player wily enough for that

Tarkowski - 7 not bullied

Mee - 4 bullied

Taylor - 6 better than ward has been

Cork - 6 would be better with Hendrick alongside him

Westwood - 4 would be better on the bench for now

Hendrick - 7 again one of our best players but less effective pushed forward

Lennon - 6 showed he's still got a bit of a burst of pace when he got past Shaw who brought him down

McNeill - 6 a bit hit and miss but wasn't overawed and if we manage him right we've got a top prospect on our hands

Wood - 4 partly because of how were playing and partly because of him. How he's keeping his place at the moment is very questionable as he's been poor for some time.

Vokes - 6 at least had 2 efforts on goal

Mouringo always plays the big lads against us and they were all very good today. Routine stuff for them in the first half and whilst there as at least more interest in the second, it took the penalty save to really get us going. That was the most disappointing aspect.

No real complaints though, they're a top side and we weren't at our best.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4832 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 5
Tarkowski 7
Mee 4
Taylor 5
Lennon 5
Cork 5
Westwood 5
McNeil 6
Hendrick 6
Wood 4

Vokes 6

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:21 am

Hart 8
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 8
Mee 6
Taylor 6
Lennon 7
Westwood 7
Cork 7
McNeil 7
Hendrick 7
Wood 5

Vokes 6
Barnes 6
Vydra 6

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:00 am

Energised and competed after the penalty save and red card but up until that point, I thought it was pretty much men playing football vs boys wading through treacle. We look tired (which seems incredible!) and bereft of ideas. Alleluia for the International break!

Hart 8 (MOM)

Bardsley 7
Tarkowski 7
Mee 6 (looked tired)
Taylor 6

Lennon 4 (barring one lovely through ball in the first did absolutely nothing and doesn`t look threatening at all)
Cork 6 (looked tired)
Westwood 7 (at least he attempts to keep us moving with forward passes)
O`Neil 7 (nice to see him play, looks like he could be a good player)

Hendrick 5 (gave the ball away too cheaply and again, back in that No.10 role, struggled)

Wood 6 (far too isolated and fed scraps)

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:49 am

. cannot believe some people are giving Ben Mee a 6, indicating an average performance.

Bfcshaun
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfcshaun » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 am

Hart 8- mom. Think Heaton has been short changed in not playing but Hart as done nothing wrong.
Bardsley 6- tried as always but our set up of having full backs tucked in allowed Sanchez and Shaw space and time. Hence first goal.
Mee 4- looked very slow and ponderous. Felt sorry for him in a way because Tarkowski allowed Lukaku to be one on one with him.
Tarkowski 5- looked ok on ball but what happened to helping out your partner. Man Utd centre halves dealt with wood by having one in front and one behind.
Taylor 5- looked dodgy at times defending and similar issues to Bardsley. Crossing not too good either.
Westwood 5- couple of good runs in first half but not picked out, apart from that up against it.
Cork 6- tidy when on ball but not in game enough.
Lennon 4- close to a three. The guy has gone downhill steadily since man city home game. Couldn't beat an egg though he has pace and not much end product crossing or shooting.
McNeil 6- Be patient obviously a talent but it was going to be tough for him against man Utd.
Hendrick 5- will never make a number 10 and it's a bit unfair to ask him to be. He has to be either in a midfield 2 or 3 (centrally).
Wood 3- like Hendrick asked to play a role, not a sole striker/forward. Not looking like he played in patches of last season.
Vokes 6- won more headers and got end of more crosses than wood did all the time he was on.
Barnes 5- played on left of front three when running out of time and ideas.
Vydra n/a - 6 minutes is not enough and we have to get him in to side considering wretched form and creativity. We also need to see if he is an improvement in our finishing ability.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:45 am

Hart - 8
Bardsley - 5
Tarkowski - 6
Mee -3
Taylor -6
Lennon - 4
Cork - 4
Westwood - 3
Hendrick - 4
Mcneil - 6
Wood- 3

Vokes - 5

Barnes - 5

Lets hope the break does them good as no more excuses after that.

But very very worrying.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:48 am

Hart 7* rubbish for the 1st goal, excellent in the second half
Bardsley 5 deserved a Red card, get Lowton back
Mee 6 outclassed but had some good moments
Tarkowski 7 Decent
Taylor 5 very poor, shocking defending at times and so slow
Lennon 6 some good moments
McNeil 7 very good
Cork 6 not at his best - tired?
Hendrick 6
Westwood 6
Wood 6 no service

Vokes 7 - keeps winning headers and should lead the line

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am

Hart 8
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 6
Taylor 6
McNeill 8
Westwood 6
Cork 8
Hendrick 7
Lennon 5
Wood 7

Vokes 7
Barnes 6

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:49 am

Bfcshaun wrote:Hart 8- mom. Think Heaton has been short changed in not playing but Hart as done nothing wrong.
Bardsley 6- tried as always but our set up of having full backs tucked in allowed Sanchez and Shaw space and time. Hence first goal.
Mee 4- looked very slow and ponderous. Felt sorry for him in a way because Tarkowski allowed Lukaku to be one on one with him.
Tarkowski 5- looked ok on ball but what happened to helping out your partner. Man Utd centre halves dealt with wood by having one in front and one behind.
Taylor 5- looked dodgy at times defending and similar issues to Bardsley. Crossing not too good either.
Westwood 5- couple of good runs in first half but not picked out, apart from that up against it.
Cork 6- tidy when on ball but not in game enough.
Lennon 4- close to a three. The guy has gone downhill steadily since man city home game. Couldn't beat an egg though he has pace and not much end product crossing or shooting.
McNeil 6- Be patient obviously a talent but it was going to be tough for him against man Utd.
Hendrick 5- will never make a number 10 and it's a bit unfair to ask him to be. He has to be either in a midfield 2 or 3 (centrally).
Wood 3- like Hendrick asked to play a role, not a sole striker/forward. Not looking like he played in patches of last season.
Vokes 6- won more headers and got end of more crosses than wood did all the time he was on.
Barnes 5- played on left of front three when running out of time and ideas.
Vydra n/a - 6 minutes is not enough and we have to get him in to side considering wretched form and creativity. We also need to see if he is an improvement in our finishing ability.
Just highlighting the point that two crucial roles in our overall play are `asked to play that role` with the implication it does not play to their natural strengths. For a team like ours that is simple lunacy, in my opinion. Adding to the lunacy was not having our only forward with aggression and nous, Barnes, on the pitch from the off.

Hope we can get it sorted for the four winnable games ahead.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Hart 7 - mixed bag, we are missing Pope's dominance in the air.
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 3 - The worst I've ever seen him play
Taylor 6
Lennon 5 - I'm beginning to wonder if having him in the team is too much of a luxury, our framework isn't what it was.
Westwood 5 - ok, but we need Defour back sharpish.
Cork 7 - Solid as usual
McNeil 7 - Did great considering his age. Games like this will do him the world of good.
Hendrick 6 -Playing a lot better this season
Wood 3 - Absolutely hopeless, what has happened to him?

Vokes & Vydra (both should have been on straight after Rashford's red)

Overall, we seem to be stuck in a bad rut of conceding poor goals and missing gilt edge chances. Voke's header goes in and at 2-1 with 10 left, I think we may have got something.

I feel, more than tiredness, I think the lack of preparation for these Sunday games is really showing, so hopefully now we have a break and a bit of time on the training ground, we can resolve this.

The biggest worry is the total lack of form of Mee and Wood. Totally not at it so far this season.

Beagleheart
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Beagleheart » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 6
Mee 4
Ward 5
Lennon 5
Westwood 6
Cork 6
Hendrick 6
McNeil 7
Wood 5

Vokes 6

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Mee 5 won some great headers, brave as a lion, but Lukaku showed up his weaknesses strength and pace. People should just give Lukaku more credit rather than kicking Ben

A Prince amongst Thieves Sir well done some perspective

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1142 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Amazed to see a 5 and a couple of 6`s for Joe Hart. Thought he was outstanding yesterday and I am not his biggest fan. To say his performance was average or poor is pathetic.

Ooogeorgeorgeoghani
Been Liked: 212 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by Ooogeorgeorgeoghani » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:20 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:Mee 5 won some great headers, brave as a lion, but Lukaku showed up his weaknesses strength and pace. People should just give Lukaku more credit rather than kicking Ben

A Prince amongst Thieves Sir well done some perspective
Fully agree , lukaku has been having steroids with his chicken and rice he was a monster and mee was his munch!, that said mee made some brilliant tackles throughout the game just looked like he was never going to get near lukaku , for some to score him a 3 is a bit off a 5 is about right
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:36 am

i WATCHED THE MATCH ON tv /bERTIE mEE WAS THE WORST PLAYER .hE COULD NOT COPE AGAINST THE mu STRIKERS .
This user liked this post: Rileybobs