First Supermarkets in Burnley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Re: First Supermarkets in Burnley

Post by Bertiebeehead » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am

My dad worked at Safeway in the late 70s/early 80s, my sister and I used to go with him sometimes to let in the night shift. I can remember playing with the trolleys up and down the aisle and playing with the intercom system.
Happy days. :D

kindonesque
Been Liked: 118 times

Post by kindonesque » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:06 am

Good shout for Taskers at the back of Plumbe Street. My introduction to paid work stacking shelves.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:58 am

ClaretTony wrote:It's where Calico is now but there was a Safeway on St. James' Street before then, roughly where McDonald's is now.
Sorry but it wasn't Where McDonalds is was first Coopers which became Tesco.

Safeway came to what was built as Safeway House with the Inland Revenue upstairs now all Calico.

See post 39. I never comment on anyones ability to manage a football team but I do know about management of a supermarket :D

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:06 am

lesxdp wrote:Sorry but it wasn't Where McDonalds is was first Coopers which became Tesco.

Safeway came to what was built as Safeway House with the Inland Revenue upstairs now all Calico.

See post 39. I never comment on anyones ability to manage a football team but I do know about management of a supermarket :D
You didn't manage them that good.....they've all gone? More reasons to shop at more reasons :D
This user liked this post: lesxdp

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:10 am

lesxdp wrote:Sorry but it wasn't Where McDonalds is was first Coopers which became Tesco.

Thanks for correcting me, it was Tesco and not Safeway on St. James' Street. One of the lads in our class at school used to shelf fill there.

On the subject of Safeways, I think that was being built around 1964 because I seem to have this memory of Burnley Cricket Club using the hoardings to advertise Charlie Griffith as the new pro. I also think it was the first building in Burnley to have automatic doors.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

lesxdp

Post by lesxdp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 am

tim_noone wrote:You didn't manage them that good.....they've all gone? More reasons to shop at more reasons :D
Aye but I had "retired" before the Morrisons takeover thankfully. What a mess they made of it as well. :D

lesxdp

Post by lesxdp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 am

Bertiebeehead wrote:My dad worked at Safeway in the late 70s/early 80s, my sister and I used to go with him sometimes to let in the night shift. I can remember playing with the trolleys up and down the aisle and playing with the intercom system.
Happy days. :D
What was your dads name? I moved on from the Burnley store in 78, but may well have known him.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:18 pm

lesxdp wrote:What was your dads name? I moved on from the Burnley store in 78, but may well have known him.
Stephen Pye, I think both my uncles worked there at some point as well, Graham and Ian.

LifeafterRobbie
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by LifeafterRobbie » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm

In the late 70's, I remember my Mam used to make a tour of at least 3 Supermarkets (Taskers, Safeway, CoOp) to get the best deals and make her 'housekeeping' go as far as possible. She knew, to the half penny (yes, we had them then) what each shop charged for Beans, Peas, potatoes, baking stuff etc. and used to keep a note in a little book.
Thursday was her shopping day, as it was my Dad's day off. He used to have to drive her around to each one..............poor bugger :D :D :D
They were different times, most definitely!
This user liked this post: hampsteadclaret

lesxdp

Post by lesxdp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:Stephen Pye, I think both my uncles worked there at some point as well, Graham and Ian.
Thought it must have been. Have known Ian since we were both sixteen and still see on a fairly regular basis. Just ask any of them if they know Les :D

Don't think I can pm you
This user liked this post: Bertiebeehead

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:Didn't Taskers finish up on Plumbe Street, end on to The Miners, with access either down the side of The Miners or the back street off Yorkshire Street down the side of UDA ? (Remember them ?)
Taskers is one of my earliest memories but only as far as back as the mid 80s. I remember the ramp from the large carpark at the back up to the market. And Kwiksave opposite the bus station.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Can't remember Nelson having a supermarket! Was there perhaps one at the bottom end of the Arndale, close to that nightclub?

Wik
Been Liked: 64 times

Post by Wik » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:39 pm

An interesting question.

I seem to remember, way back when both the world and I was a little younger, 'bout 1951 or '52 that a son of the Altham family returned from a visit to the 'States sure that he'd seen the future of grocery shops - the supermarket.

The family opened a self-service grocery shop next to the family run travel agency on Standish St. It was not successful and closed after several months.

But it can claim to be Burnley's first supermarket, where people can browse among the shelves, choose their groceries, and pay for them at the checkout.

The primary reason I believe it failed was that it was under-capitalized. It was a small shop with an insufficient variety and quantity of groceries. It did not have enough capital to carry it over the initial loss period until it had gained acceptance.

Another factor was the entire approach was a new. People were used to going into a shop and having the shopkeeper bring the items to them - it was a much more personal experience.

I did not shop there as Mam was the person to do the shopping - but I was aware of it.

Was it mentioned in the 'Express at the time?

GordonvaleClaret
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by GordonvaleClaret » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:27 am

Harrythomsonscap wrote:Wasn't there are Carlines down the side of the bus station
i'll second Carlines. Was by the bus stops on St James St near Palace and Wimpy Bar.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5081 times
Has Liked: 6890 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:38 pm

OOBEDOO'S Not a supermarket but what a place.

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:09 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Can't remember Nelson having a supermarket! Was there perhaps one at the bottom end of the Arndale, close to that nightclub?
Nearest one may have been Asda in Colne. I remember being in the back seat with my dad driving back from there in our old vauxhall viva, must have been late 70s and he had to do an emergency stop. This was before rear seatbelts in cars and I made a real mess of my mouth on the back of the driver's seat.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Anybody remember Susan George opening a store in Burnley 76/77 I remember me and a mate skipping work to see her :D

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Not the same Safeway that we had in Canada, I assume. It was mostly on the Prairies.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:56 pm

First proper Supermarket in Burnley was Carlines, which was across from bus station in 1960. I know this because my parents bought a grocers shop in Stoneyholme a month before Carlines opened. The novelty of it caused a great loss in revenue for my parents but that's business. Anyway when Safeways opened it killed off Carlines, Karma or capitalism?

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Eddie Skinner opened Burnleys first supermarket in 1961 when Taskers first opened its doors in Water St behind the Palace. (Roughly about 100 yards in front of the Bridge pub front door). When the town centre redevelopment took place it moved to Turf Street off Oxford Road. Eddie died in 2013 aged 87. Brought up around the Oxford Road area he went to Tod Road School. Returning for the war, Eddie started off with a market stall in Halifax before opening Taskers in 1961.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:43 pm

mikeS wrote:Eddie Skinner opened Burnleys first supermarket in 1961 when Taskers first opened its doors in Water St behind the Palace. (Roughly about 100 yards in front of the Bridge pub front door). When the town centre redevelopment took place it moved to Turf Street off Oxford Road. Eddie died in 2013 aged 87. Brought up around the Oxford Road area he went to Tod Road School. Returning for the war, Eddie started off with a market stall in Halifax before opening Taskers in 1961.
Did he make a few bob in the process and have a good life? An original Burnley entrepreneur.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:24 pm

I came across him in a cutting from the Burnley Express Tim. He also had a Taskers in Blackpool. His obituary says, “a born entrepreneur.” Died in Lytham Feb 2013

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:28 pm

mikeS wrote:I came across him in a cutting from the Burnley Express Tim. He also had a Taskers in Blackpool. His obituary says, “a born entrepreneur.” Died in Lytham Feb 2013
Aah good on him he obviously earned his retirement in Lytham and served Burnley well.