Rome Recommendations

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Rome Recommendations

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Spending 5 night in Rome soon with my partner. Have set aside a couple days for the standard tourist stuff (Colosseum, Vatican, Trevi, Spanish Steps & Pantheon). Staying near Reppublica Metro, so on the eastern side of what's considered central.

Anyone got any first hand tips or recommendations?
Had one already to wander the Trastevere area, classic narrow winding streets and good eating.
Considering a cycle tour down the Appian Way as we both like our history and it gets you a little out of the center.

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Rome Recommendations

Post by CaptainKirk » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Fantastic place, especially if you are into history.
My advice, and this applies to all cities, is to use guides. You will see and learn so much more than just wandering aimlessly.
We caught a train out of the city to a little town on the outskirts and then walked part of the Appian Way back to Rome, hard work but a good day.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:25 pm

I found the typical tourist stuff disappointing in Rome (as is often the case), especially the Colosseum. The place is a building site at the moment with lots and lots of boarding around the place.

I enjoyed aimlessly walking the charming backstreets very much. There's some great little bars and restaurants tucked away round there.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Dunno about that, the Colosseum is still amazing, simply because of what it is.

Imperial Palace is good, walking along the Tiber is good, just wandering around all the historical sites is well worth it, as the little alleys and streets are very nice.

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:46 pm

On top of the wedding cake type monument to Vittorrio Emmanuele there’s a great cafe place for alcoholic l and a snack from where you get brilliant views of Trajans column. Piazza Navona worth a visit. Chariot races used to run there. Castle Sant d’Angelo. Catacombs. Baths of Caracalla. My wife used to live there for a few years so I was fortunate to be able to explore plenty

Carport

Post by Carport » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Also recommend VinAllegros for Apperitivo in Trastevere

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Get a combined tour ticket that covers both the Colosseum and the Roman Forum next to it.

One of the lesser known/visited historical sites is the Circus Maximus, the remains of a chariot racing arena. There's just a small portion of one of the grandstands remaining but the shape of the track is still there, it's treated like a giant roundabout now. It's about 10 minutes walk due South from the Colosseum.
This user liked this post: Bop

Carport

Post by Carport » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Another must
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Cle ... l_Laterano" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just before the Colisseum. Three places of worship built on top of one another over the centuries. You descend down to a pagan shrine via a subterranean Roman house. Fascinating

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Cheers fellas.
Some great stuff here.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:13 pm

I was actually the opposite of above. Expected it would be very overrated but was blown away by pretty much all of the touristy stuff. Felt like we were in a real life theme park. Was amazing.

Most of the food round tourist traps is crap. And beer overpriced. But there are some hidden gems espeically further away.

One good restaurant near the fountains is called Thats Amore.

Also there is an unreal tiramasu shop called Two Sizes. An absolute must. a Great italian opposite too.

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Just to second the idea of using guided tours. We did so for the colosseum/forum tour. If nothing else, you get to bypass some of the queues, but if you get a good guide, you get to find out so much more. Our favourite place was the pantheon, amazing place and the Vatican was also surprisingly good.
I think we stayed somewhere similar to you(I think we were close to the same metro station). It was a very quiet area and some excellent restaurants which are more aim d at locals rather than tourists. Very good, and much much cheaper!
This user liked this post: Bop

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Trastevere also very good for food in less touristy spots!

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:48 pm

If you are flying in then using the train to the city, go striaght to the tourist information and get a RomaPass.It is available as 2 or 3 days. You can save most of it’s cost on your train trip in then get museum entries as well. You only activate it when you first use it. If there are no inspectors on the train you can save it for your return journey. I am a tight wad.
https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g1877 ... th.It.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The secret view, through the keyhole, at 3 Piazza Dei Cavalieri Di Malta, is fun but a bit of an uphill drag. There is a park on the right not far before it with a grand view over the Tiber and the city.
The Villa Borghese museum in Park Borghese is a must.
The Vatican Basilica is stunning and I hate religion.
The next best is the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano.
https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/ba ... vanni.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We were disappointed in the food, which surprised us as we love Italian.

Have fun

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Trastevere also very good for food in less touristy spots!
Best tip I can give is buy your tickets for the attractions before you go, it means you can skip the huge queues.

Travestere is great, some superb craft beer bars and great food spots.

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:04 pm

Fantastic city. Enjoy yourself. As simple as it seems the open top buses are great to hop on and off wherever you fancy. Eat veal. Drink wine. My only advice would be try and see the sun set over the forum and Colluseum. Jaw dropping history.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Watch out for the thieves and pickpockets.
I had a tug of war with 2 gypsy looking women over my suitcase, yes i know you can get that in any City, but it wasnt the start to a holiday we wanted.We stayed near the train station, which with hindsight a big mistake, dodgy area.
Overall though, good city, enjoyed a trip to the Vatican.

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 pm

Here now working if you visit the Vatican don't eat there go to prati where all the media people eat chap and good food. Go to museums on wed morning when Pope giving morning blessing. Only good beer at be.re in prati. Get a Roma pass free public transport and cheap museum entry . You need to use this to go bunci pizzarium outside cipro best pizza you will ever have . Rome is quite now not many tourists enjoy

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Look out for very young kids operating as pickpockets. Very Dickensian.

Awesome place, truly spectacular. Some great advice above, best of all is to use the guides. Seeing isn't enough, knowledge of what you are seeing is king in Rome.

Trastavere for food...half the price of Piazza Navona - although the piazza IS lovely. Opt for the tourists menu now and then. Good value.

Near the termini (train/bus station) there is a statue of Pope John Paul II, you can step under his `cape`. I found it quite moving... and the tombs of the Popes under St Peters was quite superb. Not a religious man by any means, but I stepped around a corner and saw the plain wooden casket of Pope John Paul II and was immediately choked. Very humbling.

Enjoy Rome, it's spectacular.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Another thanks to everyone who's posted!

Had read up on the Roma Pass and importance of booking in advance for stuff to avoid the queues, Colosseum and Vatican in particular. Might shell out for a guide or two also now...

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Vatican Museum is brilliant - definitely make sure you buy your tickets over here as it will bypass a queue which was at least 2 hours long on the 2 occasions I have been

If the pope is doing prayers (usually Tuesdays) that’s worth going to as the atmosphere is great.

All the stuff mentioned on this thread is worth seeing - one of the greatest cities in the world without a doubt.

For food - ask round for the better restaurants and the nearer you are to the big attractions the dearer usually. The cafes near the Vatican can be very expensive.

Last tip don’t get the taxi’s at the airport if they are quoting you 80 euros. Either get the train in (read up on Italian train ticket systems as little complicated) or walk outside airport a little - it should be nearer to 40 euros.

Enjoy

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:59 pm

We went four years ago for Christmas as a family so there were five adults and three children.

Stayed in the Hotel Imperiale on the outskirts of Rome.

We had Christmas dinner in a restaurant behind the hotel that was hidden away and full of Italians (as you would expect in Italy).

It cost us €10 per person for the meal including drinks and it was exceptional.

Fantastic place to visit.

colne-claret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:02 am

TVC15 wrote:Vatican Museum is brilliant - definitely make sure you buy your tickets over here as it will bypass a queue which was at least 2 hours long on the 2 occasions I have been

If the pope is doing prayers (usually Tuesdays) that’s worth going to as the atmosphere is great.

All the stuff mentioned on this thread is worth seeing - one of the greatest cities in the world without a doubt.

For food - ask round for the better restaurants and the nearer you are to the big attractions the dearer usually. The cafes near the Vatican can be very expensive.

Last tip don’t get the taxi’s at the airport if they are quoting you 80 euros. Either get the train in (read up on Italian train ticket systems as little complicated) or walk outside airport a little - it should be nearer to 40 euros.

Enjoy
I enjoyed a good fall out with the taxi drivers there. Trouble is they all stick to same fee outside airport terminal so as above you may need to exit airport terminal.

My tip would be NOT to bother doing an open top bus tour. As most of the sights are hidden away in little squares down side streets you barely see anything.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:02 am

Sounds like its booked and in the next month or so would be fine anyway. But would definitely recommend NOT going in August as I did. Unbelievably humid. Had to have a siesta every afternoon! Was the most intense heat ever, especially after so much walking!

Vatican is great. But the queues even when you can jump them is ridiculous. It makes London look deserted!

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:18 am

Another shout for Trastavere - and not to dispute the value of using a guide, but we enjoy roaming the quieter streets and simply looking inside the many small churches/chapels that look nothing from the outside...but have some wonderful, astonishing (though not famous) art in them.
Also - in our limited experience - away from the tourist areas, even the food from the cheaper takeaways was very, very good.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Went in April this year and stayed in Trastevere. It is indeed a great area to spend the evening but we made the mistake of staying in a street level studio via airbnb. Noisy as hell until after 3am both nights and not much sleep possible...so I'd say visit there but maybe don't reside there !
We were not blessed wth the best of weather which perhaps didn't help but I was underwhelmed by some of the city's sights....chiefly because of the sheer number of tourists visiting. The Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps were utterly mobbed out, destroying any "magic" whilst St Peter's Square was just a massive scrum.
I know there is an irony in a tourist complaining about the volume of tourists but in the last few years this "swamping" seems to have spread to many of the best known sights and locations to the extent that "secondary" cities seem a better bet for a good time and experience nowadays. I think the increasing growth in tourist numbers from the Far East , principally China, is a big factor here.
Despite al this the colosseum was still fantastic and I also enjoyed walking round the Forum area next door.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Brandon
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Brandon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Can I add my thanks for all this information. Me and my wife are off there on Monday.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:11 pm

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread CombatClaret but I'm taking my wife to Rome next month for her 40th. Three whole nights child free... imagine that!!

There's some great tips on here already but here's a more specific one. Any recommendations for a romantic restaurant I can take the missus to? Somewhere with a view maybe? If you look online, as I already have, there's just too many restaurants - it makes your head spin!!

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:56 pm

jlup1980 wrote:I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread CombatClaret but I'm taking my wife to Rome next month for her 40th. Three whole nights child free... imagine that!!

There's some great tips on here already but here's a more specific one. Any recommendations for a romantic restaurant I can take the missus to? Somewhere with a view maybe? If you look online, as I already have, there's just too many restaurants - it makes your head spin!!
The more the merrier!
I've booked a table here - https://www.hotelartemide.it/en/ambrosia-restaurant for next week. So I'll let you know what it's like.

Here's the TripAdvisor top Rome eats with a view where I found it.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Lazio.html
Compared to the others it's more reasonably priced though not as prestigious or have some of the beautiful hill top views. My partner is vegetarian so a lot of very fancy menus don't offer much.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:02 pm

Brandon wrote:Can I add my thanks for all this information. Me and my wife are off there on Monday.
:o
Stanstead 13:25?

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:23 pm

I don't agree with the tour guide part at this time of year.Queue was small when I past at 10:30 this morning . Have heard the average wait is 20 minutes. Apparently one of the hidden gems is the popes carriage collection which is underground has the popemobile and some cool mercs.
Latest scam to avoid is the free rose one when given then they demand money for a saints blessing very prevalent around the Spanish steps apparently.

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 678 times

Post by Whitgord » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:34 pm

I was blown away by the ceilings in the Vatican museum. More impressive than the treasures even in the corridors. St Peter’s is very ornate but felt over the top to me and more like a treasure house than a church.

Brandon
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Brandon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:10 am

CombatClaret wrote::o
Stanstead 13:25?
Luton 07:10 :D

oggy2uk
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by oggy2uk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:13 am

Went in August this year, fantastic place. At the Vatican they have a dress code its strictly enforced. Men must wear long trousers (no shorts) and cover their shoulders, women must not have either bare shoulders or skirts shorter than knee length. You can climb up the St. Peter's Basilica, there is 551steps, you can take the elevator to the roof level (saving 320 steps). However, if you want to get to the top of the dome you must take the stairs for the last portion. This makes 551 steps in total. The entrance cost is Cost 10 Euros for elevator, 8 Euros for stairs.
The Views over Rome are fantastics.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:32 am

Sorry forgot to add. Definitely go to Altare della Patria. Not only is the building (like so many) incredible. You can go on the roof and the views are absolutely phenomenal. You can see the colleseum etc. You can see the whole structure of the city though. All the streets etc. You can see for miles. I even managed to pick out the stadio olimpico which must be 5 miles away.

Wasnt that busy either. Highly recommend that.

ranjexel
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by ranjexel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Great choice. So much to see. Very busy and the queues at Vatican and Colosseum are long that it is better to book the tours in advance. We booked with 'Get your Guide' and gained quick entry. You also have the added benefit of a guide to give you an outline of the history. Beware of pick pockets as they are everywhere esp the metro.

burnleytom
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by burnleytom » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:53 pm

Bumping this topic. Am off there in April.

Anyone got any recommendations of where to stay? Can be general areas, or even specific places.

Cheers

Tom

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Best I’ve used was Hotel Diplomatic. 100m from river very central. We got a good deal but I checked before posting and currently April is over €100/night. Enjoy.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:51 pm

it is an absolute must to experience ice-cream in possibly the world's oldest parlour:

http://www.giolitti.it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And well worth it. Go when it's quiet and experience lots of free samples!

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Just do as they do ;)
These 2 users liked this post: dougcollins Siddo

colne-claret

Post by colne-claret » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 pm

burnleytom wrote:Bumping this topic. Am off there in April.

Anyone got any recommendations of where to stay? Can be general areas, or even specific places.

Cheers

Tom
We stayed in the Augusta Lucilla Palace. Nice little hotel in a good location. Walking distance to most areas. Was reasonably priced as well. The beds were amazing!

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:51 pm

Have a look at a the Sleep in Italy website
We have used twice for Rome and stopped in 2 different apartments...also used it in Venice and Florence.
For the same price as a hotel and often cheaper you are getting an apartment with much more room, kitchen, living room etc
You can filter it by area in Rome

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 pm

I consider me and Mrs Aclaret as well travelled, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc..... Hated Rome. Arrived at the train station and was immediately confronted with gypsy women, intimidating and trying to steal our suitcases.
They made going to Millwall at the old Den back in the late 70s look like big girls !

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 pm

Aclaret wrote:I consider me and Mrs Aclaret as well travelled, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc..... Hated Rome. Arrived at the train station and was immediately confronted with gypsy women, intimidating and trying to steal our suitcases.
They made going to Millwall at the old Den back in the late 70s look like big girls !
Strange. Further up you say 'Overall though, good city, enjoyed a trip to the Vatican.'

colne-claret

Post by colne-claret » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Aclaret wrote:I consider me and Mrs Aclaret as well travelled, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc..... Hated Rome. Arrived at the train station and was immediately confronted with gypsy women, intimidating and trying to steal our suitcases.
I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed but it's still somewhere that I am glad I went too. We got a taxi from the airport. Never had an experience like it before. Literally thought I would die in his car that day. Absolute maniac :lol:

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Wed May 15, 2019 12:13 am

As OP bumping for another poster -

We ticked off a few of the main sights in one nice walk. Starting at Spanga Metro you do Spanish Steps > Trevi Fountain > Pantheon. From there you could head south west and do the afternoon at the Colosseum passing the Emanuel II statue on the way.

Look into the 72hr Roma pass. Unlimited Public Transport use and Free Entry to first two museums/sites, including the Colosseum. Most importantly it allows you to skip ticket queue which can be huge. http://www.romapass.it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure If I'd recommend the Vatican museum for a 3day visit by the time you get there, get in and make your way round slowly behind tour groups it eats most of a day. Still very impressive and iconic. (Book in advance online, massive queues!). Hard to go to Rome and not visit just to do it.

Trestevere is a beautiful area just to wonder around. Lovely narrow traditional streets and small squares.

By far the most enjoyable thing myself and my partner did was to cycle down the Appian Way to the outskirts of the city. Beautiful, quiet, scenic, like going back in time with old ruins, aqueducts etc.
We just hired some e-bikes (first time on those too, which is also a cool experience) from near the Collosuem and made our there with Google Maps (only 1.5miles to the start). There are also tours where a guide will take you and explain some of the sights along the route.

Friday evenings (8:30pm) there's a 'The Tennors' performance at St. Paul Within the Walls. It's nothing fancy but was fun, the chaps were very good and the setting is nice and intimate.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed May 15, 2019 10:31 am

Goodness hard to know what to say , just a super city pick something you want to do and walk really to most points .
Out of season is the best time without a doubt .